2018: Spring Racing & Punting

IDIG

AFL Club
Essendon
I ended up driving to the tab to get it on. Couldn’t get on Sportsbet on their website, phone or live chat. Unbelievably frustrating.

IDIG

AFL Club
Essendon
Here's the last of my bets.

R8 - 6/11/12/14 50% tri and 2/3/10 100% tri
R9 - 1/6/9/17 50% tri and 2/3/10 100% tri
R10 - 1/8/9/12 50% tri and 2/10 800% quinella

jaca

Vice Captain
AFL Club
Sydney
Not much of a punter, but the horse I had in the office sweep got put down :(

IDIG

AFL Club
Essendon
Not much of a punter, but the horse I had in the office sweep got put down :(
I think there might've been a couple put down today. It's a very sad part of the sport unfortunately.

Bermi

Rising Star Winner
AFL Club
Collingwood
Melbourne Cup 2018: What the jockeys said:

1st Cross Counter (Kerrin McEvoy) - What a thrill to do it in the blue colours. Well done to Charlie. Well done to this little horse. I was back a bit further than I wanted. I knew I was full of running. I was on the back of Yucatan and he seemed to be empty Yucatan and at the 400m I had to go on my own way and we were full of running.

2nd: Marmelo (Hugh Bowman) - Had his race. Ran his race. Disappointed, but proud of the horse and congratulations to Hughie (Morrison) for bringing him over in such good order.

3rd: A Prince Of Arran (Michael Walker) - He's all heart that horse. I couldn't have wished for a better run. I gave him a good run. I tell you, at least I've got a top chance for next year and I believe if he didn't run Saturday he would've won today.

4th: Finche (Zac Purton) - Excellent run. I think if it was a firmer track he might have gone closer.

5th Rostropovich (Wayne Lordan) - Ran vey well. Very pleased in him so good day.

6th Youngstar (Craig Williams) - I was delighted with her performance. The only female in the field, she had a lot of girl power today. We had a great run throughout and all I can say is I wouldn't change anything bar the result. That will just season her up and make her harder for when she comes back, she's a fair horse and ran (for) Australasia really proudly.

7th Sir Charles Road (Dwayne Dunn) - Super effort. Had a splendid run in transit. Probably just missing the Caulfield Cup, just lacked a little bit of fitness, but great run.

8th Best Solution (Pat Cosgrave) - Slow away and just playing catch-up after that. Just too far back.

9th Muntahaa (Jim Crowley) - He didn't really travel. The ground had maybe gone a bit soft for him as well. Turned in, I thought he'd be there or thereabouts and he just plugged on one pace.

10th Ventura Storm (Mark Zahra) - He gave it his all. I had a nice run, but he just doesn't stay two miles.

11th Yucatan (James McDonald) - He worked into a nice spot from the gate. He travelled really nicely. I just felt he didn't stay the two miles.

12th Nakeeta (Regan Bayliss) - He gave me a lovely run throughout. I was still sort of travelling at the 600m right through to the 400m. It was a gallant effort.
13th Zacada (Damian Lane) - He ran great. The slow speed worked against him, but he worked home really well.

14th Chestnut Coat (Yuga Kawada) - He had an ideal run through the race and he tried hard.

15h Vengeur Masque (Patrick Moloney) - I reckon the soft track sort of saw him out today on 3200m. Don't know whether he ran out the trip. He had a lovely run, had every opportunity. But in this sort of going I think it just found him out.

16th Magic Circle (Corey Brown) - I was disappointed. I had a great run from the barrier but he never gave me a kick at all.

17th Who Shot Thebarman (Ben Melham) - He's getting on now and he probably didn't let down to the best of his ability.

18th Sound Check (Jordan Childs) - "I thought he ran well considering. He got caught wide going out of the first corner and I had to do a lot of work in the run but he was pretty honest to the line."

19th Runaway (Stephen Baster) - He gave us a great thrill winning the Geelong Cup, but the two miles was just too far for him today.

20th Ace High (Ty Angland) - Just had to make work from a wide gate. He was comfortable but struggled to run the trip.

21st Auvray (Tommy Berry) - He just wasn't good enough. Someone just said to me 'well done Kerrin', so it feels like I did win.

22nd Avilius (Glyn Schofield) - We were behind the horse that had an accident in the run and so put paid to our chances.

23rd Red Cardinal (Damien Oliver) - Just raced a little bit keen on the slow pace and when it was time to go, he just didn't have enough air to finish the race off.

THCLT

AFL Club
North Melb.
Another thing which I've started doing for a few years now is to take a Quaddie ticket with all the odd numbers from 9 onwards. It's the one day in the year where I'll have more betting slips in my wallet than actual 'paper' money!
Missed out on the Quaddie in the final leg...but snagged a couple of Trifecta and a couple of nice F4 wins with this system. One of my most successful MC punting days that I can remember.

Well done to all who managed a win or two as well, for those not as fortunate there's always next year!

AFL Club
West Coast
Fascinating to see the back of todays paper. Photo of Keiran McEvoy on Cross Counter crossing the line and above the headline in big letters SPECIAL K.

Clearly the sub editor doing the headlines knows little about racing. Or perhaps they know a lot and thought it would be a great in joke!

Grant

Dual Best & Fairest
AFL Club
Carlton
I didn't even bother yesterday. Having a terrible year. Decided to do some research instead for Sandown next week, which I will attend.

I'm going to eliminate the horses in barriers 1-3 for the short races due to the below that I discovered:

Winning barrier <1600m race (10+ field size):
1-3: 3
4-6: 12
7-9: 13
10+: 15

Winning barrier 1600+m race (10+ field size)
1-3: 5
4-6: 5
7-9: 6
10+: 6

Stats taken are purely on the Zipping Classic days from 2007-2017 when there was a field size of at least 10 (excluding the year it was held at Caulfield). Note that the number of expected winners for barrier 10+ was essentially the same as the 1-3, 4-6 and 7-9 categories more or less (e.g for every race of 11 there would be a race of 13 roughly).

Rowsus

Statistician
AFL Club
Melbourne
Nice research Grant.
There are 4 factors that can affect those numbers, but those factors sometimes cancel themselves out.
(Odds of those runners, wind, rail position, track condition)