Analysis 2019: AFL Fixture Analysis & Discussion

AFL Club
Collingwood
I must admit I am very disappointed in this site today :)

Given that the draw for Round 1 was announced yesterday I was fully expecting someone to have opened the Rd 1 C/VC thread (looking at you IDIG)

Thurs 21/3 Carlton v Richmond
Fri 22/3 Collingwood v Geelong
Sat 23/3 Melbourne v Port
Adelaide v Hawthorn
Western Bulldogs v Sydney
Brisbane v West Coast
Sun 24/3 St Kilda v Gold Coast
GWS v Essendon
Fremantle v North Melbourne

Just for the record my comments are purely tongue in cheek :)

Less than 5 months

Strength of fixture based off last year's ladder. Capital letters = home team.

1541071674339.png

Last edited by a moderator:
AFL Club
St Kilda

Given that the draw for Round 1 was announced yesterday I was fully expecting someone to have opened the Rd 1 C/VC thread (looking at you IDIG)

Adelaide v Hawthorn
Brisbane v West Coast
GWS v Essendon

Less than 5 months
T lynch vc into j Kelly c

IDIG

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Essendon
Thanks Herbie. Completely missed that!

St Kilda v Gold Coast may set a record for lowest rd 1 crowd ever (no offense Stephen!)

AFL Club
Collingwood
Rowsus can be forgiven living half a world away , but the rest of us......no excuse.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
I'm still sulking after another straight sets finals... :cautious:

AFL Club
Fremantle

Adelaide v Hawthorn
Brisbane v West Coast
GWS v Essendon

Less than 5 months
Terrible terrible fixture. Can't they get anything right. :mad:

Just getting in early. :sneaky:

AFL Club
Essendon
Not wanting to sound mean-spirited but why does the AFL insist on doing Carlton vs Richmond every year as the opener? I know they're big teams and arch rivals but to all the neutrals it has often sucked.

Diabolical

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Essendon
Not wanting to sound mean-spirited but why does the AFL insist on doing Carlton vs Richmond every year as the opener? I know they're big teams and arch rivals but to all the neutrals it has often sucked.
I can’t see them changing it while it keeps attracting 90k to the G plus the massive TV audience.

AFL Club
Melbourne
Thought the AFL would have learned their lesson about putting Carton in a prime time Thurs/Fri slot. Hopefully this is the only one for the year.
I cant see many blockbuster games in that opening round :(

AFL Club
Essendon
Thought the AFL would have learned their lesson about putting Carton in a prime time Thurs/Fri slot. Hopefully this is the only one for the year.
I mean they are a big team and deserve some prime time, but nowhere near as much as they were given last year. I really don't want to see them play Richmond though, it's the equivalent match up of Collingwood vs Gold Coast as a season opener in terms of talent/skill differential.

AFL Club
Essendon
Collingwood v Geelong
Melbourne v Port
Adelaide v Hawthorn
GWS v Essendon

Those are all intriguing games, the Melbourne game might be stretching it but you never know with Port, they have the talent but don't seem to have the success.

AFL Club
Collingwood
didn't Carlton kick the first 5 goals in the opener this season ?

I remember Oz and the other Blues supporters here booking their September holidays :)

AFL Club
Melbourne
Collingwood v Geelong
Melbourne v Port
Adelaide v Hawthorn
GWS v Essendon

Those are all intriguing games, the Melbourne game might be stretching it but you never know with Port, they have the talent but don't seem to have the success.
Yes, they are intriguing, however I would suggest that only the Coll v Gee game is potential “blockbuster” material in terms of potential crowd size and media build up.
I am obviously very interested in the Port game, but it won’t have as much of a buzz around it as if it was another Victorian club playing. Last season I think we played the Cats and that was a big game at the G with a tight finish.
The other two games will probably be ok contests, however they don’t strike me as inspiring rivalries.

At the end of the day, it’s not really a big deal for me and it was just my initial impression that the draw looked fairly uninspiring.

From a SC point of view, I’m quite confident that we should be able to find a pretty good VC loophole within the first few games ;)

BTW, welcome to the site. It’s great to see you generating some interesting discussions over the past few weeks and I’m sure you will really enjoy it around here once we start to move into SC pre-season mode :)

AFL Club
Essendon
Yes, they are intriguing, however I would suggest that only the Coll v Gee game is potential “blockbuster” material in terms of potential crowd size and media build up.
I am obviously very interested in the Port game, but it won’t have as much of a buzz around it as if it was another Victorian club playing. Last season I think we played the Cats and that was a big game at the G with a tight finish.
The other two games will probably be ok contests, however they don’t strike me as inspiring rivalries.

At the end of the day, it’s not really a big deal for me and it was just my initial impression that the draw looked fairly uninspiring.

From a SC point of view, I’m quite confident that we should be able to find a pretty good VC loophole within the first few games ;)

BTW, welcome to the site. It’s great to see you generating some interesting discussions over the past few weeks and I’m sure you will really enjoy it around here once we start to move into SC pre-season mode :)
Cheers Ricky Bobby, I had moved totally past thinking about SC but got the bug back towards the end of trade period and found this sight to be pretty active in talking about it, and it's been fun :)

I agree none of those games scream blockbuster apart from the Collingwood game but the Adelaide game should also be interesting, I think they have a decent chance of making a come back this year with Sloane and Brad Crouch and a healthier forward line.

Haha yep Grundy into Titch is my early call ;)