Position Forwards Discussion

Which forwards will you be starting outside of Danger/Heeney? (new poll 4/3/19)

• Gray $526k

Votes: 11 8.6%
  • Mundy $521k

Votes: 17 13.3%
  • Menegola $543k

Votes: 18 14.1%
  • McLean $514k

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • Kelly $506k

Votes: 28 21.9%
  • Boak $477k

Votes: 11 8.6%
  • Billings $438k

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Gresham $430k

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • Worpel $396k

Votes: 20 15.6%
  • Greene $354k

Votes: 33 25.8%

• Total voters

Darkie

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Collingwood
He's not for me, but apparently Walters has put his hand up for more midfield minutes, like a few others, post Neale's departure.

Priced at 88 and averaged 92 ex an injury game, albeit he does tend to miss through injury or suspension. Could be worth a look for those struggling for forward options.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/club/player-biography/3159.html

AFL Club
North Melb.
Why no love for Menegola? He did have minor surgery, but will be back in full training in January. Surgery can sometimes even help, if it takes away a few niggles.

Has averaged 100 every year, and no reason to think that would change at age 26. Probably has no room for improvement, but seems unlikely to fall either. With Gazza and Selwood getting a bit older, he should still have plenty of midfield time as well.

AFL Club
Collingwood
He's not for me, but apparently Walters has put his hand up for more midfield minutes, like a few others, post Neale's departure.

Priced at 88 and averaged 92 ex an injury game, albeit he does tend to miss through injury or suspension. Could be worth a look for those struggling for forward options.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/club/player-biography/3159.html
Worth some thought, but it doesn't appear much will change with him by what he said:
Walters said "Midfield-forward, I'll probably be swinging in and out of there like I did last year and the year before that."

All suggestions are good, or selecting the forward line is tough for 2019.

AFL Club
Fremantle
Why no love for Menegola? He did have minor surgery, but will be back in full training in January. Surgery can sometimes even help, if it takes away a few niggles.

Has averaged 100 every year, and no reason to think that would change at age 26. Probably has no room for improvement, but seems unlikely to fall either. With Gazza and Selwood getting a bit older, he should still have plenty of midfield time as well.
I'm having trouble working him out. He has been such a good scorer but it never feels like he has a secure role at Geelong. There is a chance with talk of Gaz going forward and Jelwood going to the half back line that he becomes a must have! But does anyone know?

AFL Club
Geelong

I think this about sums it up, people probably looking for some possible upside in guys like Heeney/Dunkley at around that price point.

Darkie

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Collingwood
Worth some thought, but it doesn't appear much will change with him by what he said:
Walters said "Midfield-forward, I'll probably be swinging in and out of there like I did last year and the year before that."

All suggestions are good, or selecting the forward line is tough for 2019.
All fair points. There is some more mid time going around, but other than that and Walters expressing his desire for it, there’s not much in this to give confidence in any change.

Low 90s priced at high 80s is a decent start, but injury risk is probably the key downside.

AFL Club
Carlton

I'm the only one who voted for him in the poll.

Think he'll definitely be top 10. My only concern is his value will probably fluctuate more than others.

AFL Club
Essendon
Interesting.. do you go looking for a Dunkley type, who could average either 105 or 85, or a safe 95-100 from Menegola?
Danger and Heeney should definitely be picked before Menegola but then you have the issue that they both share the bye with Menegola. Although you should probably pick Menegola before Dunkley on pure scoring Dunkley, Wingard, Gray, D Smith all have different byes to Heeney and Danger. I think that Menegola does have limited upside due to the amount of time he spends at half-forward and I think his inconsistency in that role means you might be able to get him pretty cheap without being hurt by not having him.

I know Clarko told Wingard he wants him as a half forward originally but for me it's hard to imagine he doesn't get decent midfield minutes, maybe not pure midfield minutes, but very decent midfield minutes with the lack of inside mids they have and the abundance of forward talent. He also emphasised that it's early in the year and that we will see where he gets utilised. Clarko has a history of making players better and I believe he will do the same with Wingard in a SuperCoach sense as long as he sees around 40-60% of midfield time. The guy also really has a point to prove.

Last edited:

IDIG

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Essendon
Just realised Telly is forward eligible, I’ll lock that **** in..
I’m really torn with him myself. Seems an obvious pick with decent upside but the whole not wanting to be there business can’t be a good thing.

I think I read somewhere GAJ will be spending more time fwd next year which can’t hurt Kelly though at the same time.

AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Bye structure the only thing keeping him out of my side. I suspect Selwood and Gaz mid minutes will take a significant hit this year as they begin to phase them out. Reckon Menegola and Parfitt will be the big benefactors. Could throw Kelly in there too but I’m unsure how he’ll be treated due to the certainty of him leaving at the end of the year.

Darkie

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Collingwood

Darkie

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Collingwood
Bye structure the only thing keeping him out of my side. I suspect Selwood and Gaz mid minutes will take a significant hit this year as they begin to phase them out. Reckon Menegola and Parfitt will be the big benefactors. Could throw Kelly in there too but I’m unsure how he’ll be treated due to the certainty of him leaving at the end of the year.
What are your thoughts on Gray as a starter BigRuss?

AFL Club
Port Adelaide
What are your thoughts on Gray as a starter BigRuss?
Sitting at F3 for me mate. Played mid to start 2018 and was forced out when Wingard had dropped his off season weight. Good chance he gets more time around the ball as he’s arguably our best clearance player and we really struggled for clearances once he went forward.

Reckon Butters slots into his spot in the pocket and if he can hold it down, body permitting, Gray plays mostly as a mid in 2019.

FWIW Butters is likely the best small forward we’ve drafter in over a decade based on what I’ve seen of him, so I think if he can crack the side early, he’ll sit there for as many games as his body can stand.

I am somewhat sceptical as I’m really struggling to gauge where Port are in terms of the competition. If we maintain or improve position, I reckon Robbie ends up a good pick. If we’re garbage, which is entirely possible, he’ll probably not quite cut the mustard.

AFL Club
GWS Giants
I’m really torn with him myself. Seems an obvious pick with decent upside but the whole not wanting to be there business can’t be a good thing.

I think I read somewhere GAJ will be spending more time fwd next year which can’t hurt Kelly though at the same time.
Is there any precedent for how a player played the year after he was denied the chance to join another club and is expecting to do so in the following year?

Philzsay

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Essendon
Is there any precedent for how a player played the year after he was denied the chance to join another club and is expecting to do so in the following year?
Bryce Gibbs averaged 102 in 2017 for the Blues after being denied a trade to Adelaide, which was marginally down on his 106 2016 average. However if you look over his career it was still one of his better SC years. So really not much of an affect.

Difference with Kelly is that he is at the start of his career, not a decade in like Gibbs was.

Bomber18

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Essendon
I'm staying away from TKelly. Too much uncertainty. He could just be given a personal leave of absence at any point in the season. Could also be used out of position.

He's not cheap either. Would rather take a punt on someone else