Discussion 2019 NTL Club - Come and join the fun!

AFL Club
Hawthorn
From the "Injuries and Suspensions" thread:

Sounds like we have a president!

You need to open a NTL Club thread Ironhawk, it is your right...
So here it is.

My final trade was used last round (R15) - I used the maximum each round for the first time ever - I usually save some right to the end. It hasn't really helped, I have been sitting around the 50K mark all season. Started with a lot of mid priced players and cheaper premiums - I made pretty poor decisions all season and too many sideways trades trying to improve.

Anyway, my final team ended up as (Bold were in my starting team):

Lloyd, Hurn, Laird, Ryan, Stewart, Duursma (Clark, Naish)

Fyfe, Cripps, Neale, Bontempelli, B. Crouch, Pendlebury, Walsh, D. Clarke (Hately, Scott, Rowbottom)

Gawn, Grundy (Fort)

Dangerfield, Marshall, T. Kelly, R. Gray, De Goey, Cameron (Balta, Gardner)

$48,200 left in the bank which was a bit of a waste, but wouldn't have changed things much. Only 8 survivors from my starting team, 5 of them rookies is another low for me.

Anyway, hopefully I have some company here soon - feel free to join in once you have used up all 30 of your trades.

Hopefully this is the one and only time I'm president of this club!

AFL Club
Hawthorn
From the "Injuries and Suspensions" thread:

So here it is.

My final trade was used last round (R15) - I used the maximum each round for the first time ever - I usually save some right to the end. It hasn't really helped, I have been sitting around the 50K mark all season. Started with a lot of mid priced players and cheaper premiums - I made pretty poor decisions all season and too many sideways trades trying to improve.

Anyway, my final team ended up as (Bold were in my starting team):

Lloyd, Hurn, Laird, Ryan, Stewart, Duursma (Clark, Naish)

Fyfe, Cripps, Neale, Bontempelli, B. Crouch, Pendlebury, Walsh, D. Clarke (Hately, Scott, Rowbottom)

Gawn, Grundy (Fort)

Dangerfield, Marshall, T. Kelly, R. Gray, De Goey, Cameron (Balta, Gardner)

$48,200 left in the bank which was a bit of a waste, but wouldn't have changed things much. Only 8 survivors from my starting team, 5 of them rookies is another low for me.

Anyway, hopefully I have some company here soon - feel free to join in once you have used up all 30 of your trades.

Hopefully this is the one and only time I'm president of this club!

Speaking as a past President of this infamous club there is only one priority for you Ironhawk and that is to ensure the beer fridge is always full. I'm bound to turn up in the not to distant future.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
While I wait for some company here, I thought I would review my trades made for the season - I will spread it out over the weekend. Trades 1 - 10 below. You'll see my season went downhill quickly, but there are some good trades too.

Round 2:
Parker (Syd) ($561,700) to Rockliff (PtA) ($405,900)
Mills (Syd) ($428,900) to Lloyd (Syd) ($608,900)

I think you can see which game I watched in R1. From it I thought Lloyd was a must have defender and Mills was not going to get the mid time I thought he might. I also thought Parker was going to be disappointing and average low 90s at best. Rockliff was a risk, I knew that but he was the "best" I could afford as a replacement.

The Seagull has been a must have defender and Mills has had a few decent games only. Can't complain with this trade.

Parker had his lowest score in R1, and has scored 100+ most rounds, Rocky has been at best decent, but unreliable. Terrible trade.

Round 3:
Lynch (Ric) ($425,600) to Parker (StK) ($117,300)
Atkins (Gee) ($112,900) to Constable (Gee) ($123,900)

Plan was to get two rookies in that were looking like must haves pre price rise. I thought key forwards may benefit from the 6-6-6 rule (I know) and picked a few in my team. Lynch showed even by that stage I was very wrong. Atkins wasn't one I wanted to get rid of, but I thought Constable would be the better pick, and I thought I had no better options.

Parker started with 87 and 89 before I traded him in. Since then he has had two scores in the 70s as his best scores. Not a completely failed trade, as I got a lot of cash back on it...

Atkins hasn't set the world on fire, but he has had some good scoring games and has only missed 1 match. Constable was in and out a bit but hasn't been seen since R9. Overall, not a great trade.

Round 4:
Treloar (Col) ($582,300) to Grundy (Col) ($678,300)
English (Wbd) ($308,500) to Kelly (Gee) ($517,700)

This was planned to be my final ruck trade, it was clear Grundy had no toe issue (thank you whoever here convinced me that was a risk) and would be one of the top rucks with Gawn (who I had). I knew he would destroy English that round, who had started slowly. I wanted Kelly too who looked like a must and wanted to get him at his cheapest. Treloar was the only way I could get these two trades to work.

No complaints, except for timing. Kelly got a 39 that round and I burned Treloar who has been good. English turned good around this point. Overall, good trades, just should have waited a few weeks.

Round 5:
Crisp (Col) ($481,200) to Marshall (Stk) ($406,100)
Alabakis (Stk) ($102,400) to O'Brien (Ade) ($136,800)

You know what I said about my final ruck trades? That lasted one round, bringing in two rucks - one as a forward though.

Not going too in depth here, both were good trades. ROB made me a lot of cash, Crisp has been inconsistent and Marshall has been really good. I haven't missed not having a donut option - I have rarely/never had all 30 available this season.

Round 6:
Sheed (Wce) ($445,400) to Hurn (Wce) ($562,700)
Darling (Wce) ($385,000) to Baker (Ric)($162,100)

Plan here was Sheed had maxed out his value whereas Darling had just scored a 9, along with a 50 prior. Hurn was looking like a top defender, which was a weaker line for me, Baker was averaging 89 on the bubble.

Getting rid of Darling was a win, especially when he followed up the 9 with a 22. Baker was decent, but I don't know that he will play again this season (he was my final trade out).

Sheed has actually done OK but could have made me more cash. Hurn has been great until the last month or so. Reasonable trade.

More tomorrow some time...

Last edited:
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Keeping this a bit shorter today - lots of sport to watch tonight. Trades 11-20.

Round 7:
Scrimshaw 314,500 to Fyfe 564,000
Constable 303,000 to Answerth 117,300

Two rookies got dropped, I had always planned to get Fyfe once his price went below $600K (same with most good players - unfortunately most of these trade ins didn't happen), Answerth was a risk due to DPP flexibility. Very happy with the first trade, the second didn't turn out as well as I wanted and was a bit of a waste.

Round 8:
Liberatore 461,700 to Ross 237,700
Ridley 305,100 to Pendlebury 543,500

Libba had served his purpose, thought Ross had enough cash left to earn to be worth a trade in. Ridley was gone, the upgrade for me was either Pendles or Yeo.

Ross got injured the week I traded him in and hasn't been seen since, unlucky wasted trade. Either Pendlebury and Yeo would have been good choices, but haven't been super.

Round 9:
Coniglio 505,500 to Cripps 628,400
Brayshaw 456,200 to Rowbottom 117,300

I traded Cogs early in the week before his injury was confirmed along with Brayshaw. Two rage trades, from players that had been very inconsistent. Figured I'd get Cripps like everyone else and was hoping Paddlebutt would get games during the byes/bench cover.

Not great trades, poor timing getting Cripps, 3/5 scores in my team have been sub 100 plus two out injured - quite similar to Cogs in that time. Paddlebutt missed the byes but has been good the last two weeks. I sure don't miss Brayshaw, he is on my never again list.

Round 10:
Drew 321,800 to Young 117,300
Collins 291,100 to Stewart 508,600

Got rid of two rookies that had been dropped, painted the fence with the cash. Young was a failure, I know a lot of others made this same mistake trading him in due to lack of options. Stewart has been good.

Round 11:
Newnes 378,300 to Gardner 102,400
Butters 257,800 to Cameron 468,500

Newnes was good for 7 rounds then fell off a cliff - I held onto him a bit long due to needing to make other trades. Butters had been pretty poor, but got a 112 the week I trade him out. Both trade ins have been disappointing, especially Cameron. Thought I would risk one more key forward - should know better by now.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Yay, make sure to grab a beer and get comfortable once lockout is done. As I posted in the weekly topic, it's much less stressful once you have no trades left.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Too early to comment on most of these trades, so I'll just list my thinking (or not) for why I made each of the last 10.

Round 12:
Whitfield $564,100 to Laird $504,600
Ross $252,000 to De Goey $489,800
Parker $240,200 to Hately $148,800

I was committed to using all my trades by now, plus needed bye coverage. Was a shame to lose Whitfield, was tossing up Rampe or Laird for his replacement. Possibly should have gone the POD choice, but didn't want another R13 bye defender. Got another key forward target in with De Goey, because why not - it's worked out well for me this year. Hately was apparently near certainty to play, but didn't play until after the byes - due to the early round start I already had him locked in before he was a confirmed non starter.

Round 13:
Rockliff $477,400 to Ryan $523,100
Moore $374,400 to Bontempelli $543,000
Young $139,200 to Naish $123,900

Rocky had his inevitable injury, apparently a 1 weeker max, I believed it. Brought in Ryan, who has been rubbish the last few weeks. Moore was frustrating in my team - gets two tons once I get rid of him to frustrate me further. Bont was one I had been looking at getting since early in the season. The last trade was a failed rookie pick for what is looking like another failed rookie pick.

Round 14:
O'Brien $446,000 to Fort $117,300
Setterfield $265,600 to D.Clarke $147,700
Answerth $237,000 to Neale $578,300

Needed ROB's cash, would have kept him if I wasn't purposely using all my trades (And wouldn't have had a donut with Gawn today). Figured Fort may be some chance of injury cover, but he didn't get up this round. The other two outs are poorer rookies: painted the fence with Neale (another I was annoyed I didn't start with) and Clarke, who hasn't lived up to his cearlier games so far.

Round 15:
Baker $363,700 to Gray $471,700

Last trade, Baker and Balta both got dropped, replaced the one with a higher value. Figured Gray had the most potential/scoring history of those I could afford.

That's it! As I'll have company here after this round, feel free to reminisce yourselves on the good old days when trades were plentiful and your season wasn't a complete write off!

AFL Club
Melbourne
Ironhawk - some unfortunate starting picks really hurt you - Brayshaw, Tigers Lynch, Darling.

Looks like too many midpricers/stepping stones is playing with fire if they don't work out. Rocky and Libba were fails for me.

AFL Club
West Coast
Looks like too many midpricers/stepping stones is playing with fire if they don't work out. Rocky and Libba were fails for me.
I didnt really see either of these guys as complete fails... Unfortunately when form dipped or injury hit we had too many other issues to deal with.. I know i held Libba about 4 weeks too long..Rocky scored ok till he missed the whole bye period :confused:

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Ironhawk - some unfortunate starting picks really hurt you - Brayshaw, Tigers Lynch, Darling.

I had both those as well (well, I picked up Rockliff after R1 - close enough to starting with him)

Yeah, my starting team was trash.

Tamuhawk

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Will officially join this exclusive club just before the first bounce of the Hawks vs Lions game.

Last trades are:
Out: Impey & Burgess.
In: Whitfield & Langlands.

Final Team
DEF: Lloyd, Whitfield, Williams, Sicily, Smith, Andrews (Duursma, Gardner)
MID: Neale, Macrae, Fyfe, Jelly, Cripps, Oliver, Sloane, Brouch (Clarke, Langlands, Bewley)
RUC: Grundy, Gawn (Bines)
FWD: Danger, Boak, Telly, Lycett, Cameron, Worpel (Chol, Young)

$26,800 left to party with. :LOL:

Not the best looking team but atm have sufficient cover on all lines. No Dunkley/Marshall is gonna continue to hurt but can't do much about it now. Should be able to loop Andrews/Duursma every round in defence. Hopefully Chol stays in the team for the rest of the year, has had a few good games in his last couple so he can cover the fwds and if Lycett is needed in the rucks Chol will be needed. Hoping Fyfe/Jelly return real soon but have Clarke/Bewley for coverage there and Langlands can cover mids and half my fwd line.