Discussion Rookie Discussion

AFL Club
Collingwood
Heard varying reports as to whether it is going to be as much of a "super draft" as first thought , throw a blanket over 1-20 then maybe not as strong.

More KPP who will take a lot longer to develop and a lot of academy and father/son prospects which may confuse the order with the bidding system.

Time will tell.

Goodie's Guns

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Hawthorn
do you think whoever gets Pick 1 then will bypass Lukosius and pick a mid instead ?
straight to Spotless for Dylan Shiel
If you buy into the hype that Jack Lukosius kid is meant to be a once in a generation player. Be game to trade that away!
Don't really think Shiel is worth it, barely a top 25 midfielder in the league. For pick 1 you'd someone like Cripps/Kelly/Bontempelli especially pick 1 of what people call a "super draft".
Heard varying reports as to whether it is going to be as much of a "super draft" as first thought , throw a blanket over 1-20 then maybe not as strong.

More KPP who will take a lot longer to develop and a lot of academy and father/son prospects which may confuse the order with the bidding system.

Time will tell.
From the few bits and pieces I have seen, if I was the Blues and didn't want Lukosius as a FWD at pick 1, I certainly wouldn't be trading pick 1 for Shiel. The boy from Geelong, Sam Walsh, is where turning my attention. Shades of Josh Kelly about him.

AFL Club
Collingwood
From the few bits and pieces I have seen, if I was the Blues and didn't want Lukosius as a FWD at pick 1, I certainly wouldn't be trading pick 1 for Shiel. The boy from Geelong, Sam Walsh, is where turning my attention. Shades of Josh Kelly about him.
great timing Goodies , article on AFL.com now previewing Saturdays Lukosius v Walsh Cup.

Apparently Walsh is a Lions fan.

Article already suggesting he is a future AFL cup , I just wish they would let these kids settle into a career and see how they are going after 3 seasons when they may have got use to senior football , training , preparation , recovery , dealing with the other pressures etc etc

AFL Club
Collingwood
Is their anyway Carlton & Brisbane can get their hands on Blakely and Thomas or is it a given that they will be at the Swans and North respectively ?

AFL Club
Port Adelaide
If Rankine doesn’t go number 1 I’ll give up on footy. By far the best underager I’ve ever seen play the game.

It’s not even close to second.

IDIG

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Essendon
Here’s a write up of the game.

AN INSPIRED first term from likely top-five draft prospect Izak Rankine kickstarted South Australia's charge to the Under-18 title, although it had to hold off a fast-finishing Vic Metro which threatened to stage a monumental fightback at Etihad Stadium on Wednesday.

Trailing by a game-high 45 points at the 20-minute mark of the second term, Metro – led by the highly-rated Ben King, who bagged four majors – booted the next five goals of the contest and closed the margin to just 11 points midway through the third term.

But South Australia steadied and then turned on the afterburners in the 17.14 (116) to 9.7 (61) win, with two special final-quarter goals from Rankine helping seal the state's first national title since 2014.

It was Rankine who took the game away from Metro early, lighting up Etihad Stadium with a stunning first quarter that yielded 3.2 from seven disposals.

The exciting forward/midfielder opened his account with a volley goal in traffic from the pocket, his third goal was a left snap from a tight angle and he even took a 'speccy' in the same quarter for good measure.

Rankine, who can impact a game like very few with his pace and evasiveness, was quiet during the second and third terms, but came alive when the game was up for grabs and ended his day with five goals from 17 disposals.

Jacob Kennerley (22 disposals) and Jackson Hately (24) were other key contributors in South Australia's win, while recruiters got the chance to see possible No.1 pick Jack Lukosius, who was relatively quiet, play on King at full-back late in the contest.

King's ability to launch himself for marks in the air was impressive and along with twin brother Max, will certainly be among the first few players considered in this year's Draft.

Jack Mahony (17 touches) and Matthew Rowell (20) were central to Metro's fightback, while Joseph Ayton-Delaney (25 touches) was a steady influence throughout.

Possible top-20 pick Bailey Smith also got better the longer the game went, with the midfielder finishing with 22 disposals, seven clearances and six tackles.

Xavier O'Halloran (10 touches and five inside 50s) was also impressive for Metro.

Metro's fightback was hindered when highly-rated midfielder Zak Butters was forced from the field with a left shoulder injury in the second term, although it became apparent they left themselves with too much to do.

VIC METRO 0.1 2.3 8.5 9.7 (61)
SOUTH AUSTRALIA 4.3 9.4 12.7 17.14 (116)

Goals
Vic Metro: King 4, Taylor 2, Mahony, Rendell, O'Halloran
South Australia: Rankine 5, Jarvis 2, Munn, Rozee, Lukosius, Chandler, Luchowiak, Siviour, Chapman, Valente, Lewis,

Best
Vic Metro: Ayton-Delaney, King, Smith, Rowell, O'Halloran
South Australia: Rankine, Kennerley, Hately, Rozee, Lewis, Frederick, Chapman

AFL Club
Collingwood
If Rankine doesn’t go number 1 I’ll give up on footy. By far the best underager I’ve ever seen play the game.

It’s not even close to second.
wow

interesting

better than Erin Phillips ?

AFL Club
Port Adelaide
wow

interesting

better than Erin Phillips ?
Haha I’ve never seen Phillips play in the flesh but I’ve seen Rankine a few times over the years.

He’s a bit small, but if he can find a way to stretch himself out a couple inches over the next few winters he’s going to be a very special player.

Generally not a fan of comparing kids to AFL legends but the comparisons to McLeod aren’t unjustifiable.

AFL Club
Collingwood
I remember hearing Choco describe Erin as the best junior footballer he had ever seen , male or female.

Rankine's height seems to be the biggest concern , but appears he certainly has the footy brains and smarts.

Be interesting to see where he ends up in the draft ?

Have you seen much of Lukosius ? seems he spent some time on King yesterday so can play forward and back.

AFL Club
Collingwood
no guarantee they will be all drafted but following is a article on the U18 All Australian side taken off the AFL website, may (or may not) help with research for next season

GUN quartet of South Australian draft prospects spearhead this year's NAB AFL Under-18 All Australian team after leading the state to its division one title.
With its 55-point victory over Vic Metro on Wednesday, South Australia claimed its first championship since 2014 and its third in the past six seasons.
It has been rewarded for that performance with six players in the 23-man All Australian team.
Potential No.1 pick Jack Lukosius was selected in the forward line alongside exciting goalkicker Izak Rankine and Jackson Hately, while Luke Valente won recognition in the midfield.

Rankine's selection makes him the only two-time All Australian in this year's crop, having been also given the honour last year when he burst onto the scene for South Australia.
Defender Jez McLennan, who rose throughout the championships with impressive performances off half-back, was picked in the backline. Will Gould, who is not eligible for the draft until 2019, was also named on the bench after playing a key role for the South Australians throughout their unbeaten carnival.
The Allies also won a healthy representation in the All Australian side, with six representatives.
Kieren Briggs, who was the Allies' most valuable player and is tied to Greater Western Sydney's Academy, was deservedly named the ruckman of the side, while Jacob Koschitzke, Chayce Jones, Bailey Scott, Connor McFadyen and Mitch O'Neill also made the side.
Likely top-10 picks Bailey Smith and Ben King, and possible Western Bulldog father-son Rhylee West, were named All Australians after displaying strong consistency over the four games for Vic Metro.
Metro's rebounding backline pair Isaac Quaynor and Buku Khamis were also selected in defence.
Midfielder Sam Walsh, who claimed the Larke Medal as the best player of division one after averaging 29 disposals, was one of only two players from the winless Vic Country to make the team, alongside key defender Kyle Reid.

Walsh won the medal ahead of second-placed Lukosius, and the pair seem likely to battle it out to be the No.1 choice at November's national draft. He was also named captain of the All Australian team, with Valente the vice-captain.
Jordan Clark's impressive run off half-back throughout the series for Western Australia saw him catch the eye of All Australian selectors, with Luke English, Sydney Stack and Jeremy Sharp also in the team.
Sharp was one of three bottom-agers to make it, with Gould and O'Neill the others.
The AFL's Kevin Sheehan, Luke Power and Marcus Ashcroft, along with club recruiters Dom Milesi (Collingwood), Troy Selwood (Geelong), Luke Williams (Richmond) and Chris Liberatore (St Kilda), made up the All Australian selection committee.
2018 NAB AFL UNDER-18 ALL AUSTRALIAN TEAM
Defenders:
Jez McLennan (South Australia), Jacob Koschitzke (Allies), Isaac Quaynor (Vic Metro), Buku Khamis (Vic Metro), Kyle Reid (Vic Country), Jordan Clark (Western Australia)
Midfielders: Luke English (Western Australia), Kieren Briggs (Allies), Bailey Smith (Vic Metro), Luke Valente (South Australia), Sam Walsh (Vic Country), Chayce Jones (Allies)
Forwards: Bailey Scott (Allies), Jack Lukosius (South Australia), Jackson Hately (South Australia), Izak Rankine (South Australia), Ben King (Vic Metro), Rhylee West (Vic Metro)
Interchange: Sydney Stack (Western Australia), Connor McFadyen (Allies), Mitch O'Neill (Allies), Will Gould (South Australia), Jeremy Sharp (Western Australia)
Coach: Tony Bamford (South Australia)
Assistant coach: Lance Spaulding (Tasmania)
Captain: Sam Walsh
Vice-captain: Luke Valente

IDIG

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Essendon
The national draft will be held on Thursday November 22 and Friday November 23 with five rounds planned.

Here is the indicative draft order as of the end of the home and away season.

FIRST ROUND
Pick 1: Carlton
Pick 2: Gold Coast
Pick 3: St Kilda
Pick 4: Brisbane
Pick 5: Fremantle
Pick 6: Western Bulldogs
Pick 7: Adelaide
Pick 8: Essendon
Pick 9: Port Adelaide
Pick 10: North Melbourne
Pick 11: Geelong
Pick 12: Greater Western Sydney
Pick 13: Sydney
Pick 14: Adelaide (received off Melbourne)
Pick 15: Hawthorn
Pick 16: Collingwood
Pick 17: Gold Coast (received off West Coast)
Pick 18: Richmond

SECOND ROUND
Pick 19: Adelaide (received off Carlton)
Pick 20: West Coast (received off Gold Coast)
Pick 21: Port Adelaide (received off St Kilda)
Pick 22: Brisbane
Pick 23: Greater Western Sydney (received off Fremantle)
Pick 24: Carlton (received off Western Bulldogs)
Pick 25: Carlton (received off Adelaide)
Pick 26: Gold Coast (received off Essendon)
Pick 27: Port Adelaide
Pick 28: North Melbourne
Pick 29: Gold Coast (received off Geelong)
Pick 30: Essendon (received off Greater Western Sydney)
Pick 31: Sydney
Pick 32: Melbourne
Pick 33: Hawthorn
Pick 34: Sydney (received off Collingwood)
Pick 35: West Coast
Pick 36: Richmond

THIRD ROUND
Pick 37: Adelaide (received off Carlton)
Pick 38: Gold Coast
Pick 39: North Melbourne (received off St Kilda via on-trades)
Pick 40: Brisbane
Pick 41: Gold Coast (received off Fremantle)
Pick 42: Western Bulldogs
Pick 43: Melbourne (received off Adelaide)
Pick 44: Greater Western Sydney (received off Essendon)
Pick 45: Port Adelaide
Pick 46: Port Adelaide (received off North Melbourne)
Pick 47: Geelong
Pick 48: Greater Western Sydney
Pick 49: Collingwood (received off Sydney)
Pick 50: Melbourne
Pick 51: Hawthorn
Pick 52: Collingwood
Pick 53: North Melbourne (received off West Coast via on-trades)
Pick 54: Geelong (received off Richmond)

AFL Club
Melbourne
Dees first pick at 32 :eek:
I'm not too worried as our track record with 32 is pretty good (think we got Fritsch at 32 last year) :cool:

IDIG

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Essendon
OFFICIAL DRAFT ORDER

Round 1
1. Carlton
2. Gold Coast Suns
3. Gold Coast Suns
4. St Kilda
5. Port Adelaide
6. Gold Coast Suns