Discussion Rookie Discussion

IDIG

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Essendon
EVERY CLUB’S DRAFT PICKS (At start of draft)

Adelaide Crows - 8, 13, 16, 21, 73, 80

Brisbane Lions - 18, 30, 35, 56, 77

Carlton - 1, 69, 71, 76

Collingwood - 41, 44, 57, 59, 60

Essendon - 34, 66, 81, 89, 95

Fremantle - 14, 31, 43, 65

Geelong Cats - 12, 50, 51, 70, 83, 91

Gold Coast Suns - 2, 3, 6, 24, 29, 79

GWS Giants - 9, 11, 19, 25, 52, 85, 92

Hawthorn - 53, 86, 93, 96

Melbourne - 23, 28, 54, 62, 87, 94

North Melbourne - 42, 47, 48, 49, 55, 58

Port Adelaide - 5, 10, 15, 82, 90

Richmond - 17, 37, 64, 68, 74, 88

St Kilda - 4, 36, 46, 67, 78

Sydney Swans - 26, 33, 38, 39, 40, 84

West Coast Eagles - 20, 22, 61, 72, 75

Western Bulldogs - 7, 27, 32, 45, 63

IDIG

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Essendon
Does anyone know if they can trade picks on the night similar to the NFL (or what is portrayed in the movie Draft Day)?

KLo30

Leadership Group
AFL Club
North Melb.
Does anyone know if they can trade picks on the night similar to the NFL (or what is portrayed in the movie Draft Day)?
Yes, they certainly can. Not much expected of that in the first round, but there should be some movement after that.

IDIG

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Essendon
Yes, they certainly can. Not much expected of that in the first round, but there should be some movement after that.
Hopefully the bombers get involved. It's a long wait when your first pick isn't until pick 34!

IDIG

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Essendon
Sounds like it's the first time they've been able to do it live...and in a bit of an anti-climax the swans and eagles have swapped future 3rd round picks (or something like that).

Sounded like the dogs were about to offload pick 7 but wasn't to be.

KLo30

Leadership Group
AFL Club
North Melb.
Yes, first time for the AFL. Program crashed last night during a live trial. Haha

AFL Club
North Melb.
Carlton trading 2019 1st.

Oh my S.O.S

He's the gift that keeps on giving
SOS: "Hey guys, should we give up pick 2 for 19 and 10?"
Recruiting Team: "Yeah sounds reasonable, we don't need any more star players"
SOS: "We might even be able to trade it for another GWS reject, let's do it!"

KLo30

Leadership Group
AFL Club
North Melb.

Oh my S.O.S

What is the strength of next year's draft? Do Carlton have a father/son selection next year which would waste the value of their round 1 pick? Do they see themselves jumping up the ladder and Adelaide not returning to the finals, thus the difference is not stark? I'm intrigued by this move.

Consensus preseason wooden spooner this time last year was North Melbourne. Things can change quickly.

Last edited:

IDIG

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Essendon
More info below:

ADELAIDE and Carlton will be monitoring each other's fortunes closely in 2019 after swapping future first-round picks in a transaction that landed midfielder Liam Stocker at IKON Park.

Using the inaugural live trading rules late in Thursday's NAB AFL Draft opening round, the exchange also saw the Crows move pick 19 to the Blues.

Then armed with another first-round selection after taking Geelong Falcons star Sam Walsh with pick No.1, the Blues quickly pounced on Stocker.

The 2018 TAC Cup Morrish medallist for the under-age competition's best and fairest, the 183cm inside midfielder is regarded as a force at stoppages.

Should the Blues again collect the wooden spoon next year, it will deliver the Crows selection No.1.

Meantime, Blues fans will be banking on their side moving up the AFL ladder, while hoping Adelaide miss the finals for a second consecutive year, heading to the 2019 NAB AFL Draft with the Crows' first pick.

AFL Club
Adelaide
SOS: "Hey guys, should we give up pick 2 for 19 and 10?"
Recruiting Team: "Yeah sounds reasonable, we don't need any more star players"
SOS: "We might even be able to trade it for another GWS reject, let's do it!"
I guess us Crows fans get to barracks against Carlton next year. Crows had a lot of top end picks this year so I like it, nice gamble. Can’t see Carlton being as bad as they were this year, Gold Coast are a train wreck but The Blues are probably on par with Freo, The Saints and Brisbane.

AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Oh my S.O.S

I actually think The Blues will improve quite rapidly this year. So pick 2 ;). In all seriousness I reckon they finish above GC and Saints at least, had a shocking injury run last year.

Still doesn’t explain the trade though, for someone as frugal as SOS to give up so much they must rate themselves to make a jump this season.

Couldn’t be happier with Ports haul would have maybe liked Smith/Caldwell at 5 but Rozee is safe as houses to play 200 good quality games.

AFL Club
Adelaide
I actually think The Blues will improve quite rapidly this year. So pick 2 ;). In all seriousness I reckon they finish above GC and Saints at least, had a shocking injury run last year.

Still doesn’t explain the trade though, for someone as frugal as SOS to give up so much they must rate themselves to make a jump this season.

Couldn’t be happier with Ports haul would have maybe liked Smith/Caldwell at 5 but Rozee is safe as houses to play 200 good quality games.
Just read the article, looks like they highly rate this Stocker kid, I guess it’s more than draft picks, they took a risk to bolster their list next season. Probably worth it considering how ****e they were this year.

AFL Club
Sydney
Hopefully they don’t all want to move back in with Mum next year.

IDIG

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Essendon
Mature age rookies to keep an eye on tonight.

RECRUITERS have been urged not to overlook ready-to-play South Fremantle gun Marlion Pickett when the NAB AFL Draft resumes on Friday.
———
Twelve months after Liam Ryan, Bailey Banfield and Kelly made it to AFL ranks, hard-nosed midfielder Pickett is the WAFL's most talked about prospect, with Gold Coast and St Kilda among the clubs interested.

"He's obviously got some attributes – super-quick, really strong for his size, hard at the ball, can play virtually anywhere," South Freo coach Todd Curley told AFL.com.au.

"He's probably had to earn an opportunity with consistent footy and he's improved along the way, but he's a different player to Tim.

"Tim is an out-and-out inside midfielder, whereas Marlion has probably got more versatility. He can play back, forward and midfield.

"Tim has the ability, which we probably saw this year, to accumulate consistently big numbers.

"Marlion can have a big impact on a game with probably not as many possessions just through the way he attacks the ball.

"He's a little bit older and a bit more mature and I think he'd be one you could pick and he'd be available for round one."

Pickett has turned his life around since he was jailed in his teens and was outstanding in his fifth season at South Fremantle.

The 183cm and 85kg tough nut averaged 21.8 disposals after asking Curley for a switch from half-back to midfield to replace Kelly.

Pickett's headline performance came in a thumping qualifying final victory over West Perth, when he torched the Falcons with four goals and 26 disposals.

"He had some great games for us," Curley said.
"His ability to break the lines and run and carry is a real strength. He's really improved his kicking but his ability to get it, burst away, carry and then distribute the ball makes him a real 90m player.

"He's spoken to a fair few clubs and we're hopeful that he'll get an opportunity because I think he certainly deserves it and we'd think he'd go all right.
———
Claremont's dual Sandover medallist Jye Bolton, 26, and West Perth's strong-bodied mid Luke Meadows, 24, are other mature-age prospects in the mix as recruiters give greater consideration to players capable of stepping straight into AFL ranks.

Pickett's close friend and teammate, Matthew Parker, 22, is another strong candidate after getting his life on track in recent years.

The livewire forward booted 27 goals in 20 games this year and has also been linked to the Saints.

"I don't think they (Pickett and Parker) need the other one to be there (to settle in at AFL level).

Would it help them? Probably, of course it would," Curley said.

"It's always hard to move away from home, so if you've got some friends and family around it will help them, but I don't think it would necessarily hurt them not to be at the same team.

"They're both old enough and mature enough in their own right to make their own way.

"We just hope they get an opportunity because we think they'd both grab it."