Position Rucks Discussion

Which ruckmen will you be starting (new poll 4/3/19)

• Grundy $708

Votes: 102 69.9%
  • Gawn $692

Votes: 97 66.4%
  • Martin $574

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Westhoff $550

Votes: 9 6.2%
  • Goldstein $548

Votes: 48 32.9%
  • Nankervis $533

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Witts $481

Votes: 7 4.8%
  • Lycett $441

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Kreuzer $433k

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Smith $173k / Clarke $143k

Votes: 18 12.3%

• Total voters

IDIG

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Essendon
I agree. Toughest position for mine and generally sets the tone for the whole SC year if you can nail your starting picks or alternatively, use half a dozen trades trying to get them right.

What's the deal with the dogs now? Is English the number 1 ruck with Toyd giving him a chop out? Or is Toyd just going to play ruck?

IDIG

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Essendon
These were the rule changes for those that missed it. Not sure who benefits most. Grundy and maybe Nank?

9. Ruck contests: prior opportunity
• A ruckman who takes direct possession of the ball from a bounce, throw-up or boundary throw-in will no longer be regarded as having had prior opportunity.
• Where there is uncertainty over who is the designated ruckman, the ruckman for each team will still be required to nominate to the field umpire.

AFL Club
Collingwood
Ben Jarvis, Gee. 189cm ruckman!
He's got a terrific leap :)

http://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/2018-11-23/pick-48-ben-jarvis

Geelong has selected Ben Jarvis at pick 48 in the 2018 NAB National Draft...……….“He’s got a terrific leap, ……….,” Geelong recruiting and list manager Stephen Wells said.………….He played as a marking tall forward and even jumped up in the ruck at times for South Australia, even though he’s only 188cm.”
Height: 189cm
Weight: 82kg
Position: Forward
Recruited From: Norwood / South Australia

AFL Club
Collingwood
Thinking of starting the rucks with Nankervis and Westoff, then slide Westoff to Fwd when the top ruckmen sort themselves out and drop in price.

Diabolical

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Essendon
Bugger it, I’m going with red & black loyalty ... TBC at R2 with Clarke at R3

Now to work out my R1

Grundy ... Gawn ... Grundy ... Gawn ... oh I don’t know!

IDIG

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Essendon
Is Mathew Kruzer back?
Supposedly fit and firing, over his heart problems. Veeeeery tempting at 433k, 260k change over the big boys.
He’s my current R2. There’s no one really jumping out at me at the moment so he’ll do.

Don’t mind the idea of Westhoff at R2 but feels like a big price to pay for someone who’s had their first 100+ year in his 12th season.

AFL Club
Port Adelaide
He’s my current R2. There’s no one really jumping out at me at the moment so he’ll do.

Don’t mind the idea of Westhoff at R2 but feels like a big price to pay for someone who’s had their first 100+ year in his 12th season.
Yep same here, will sit there until February most likely. Haven’t had the time to sift through the value in other positions but I’m highly doubtful you can pull 260k from the other lines without compromise.

He’s old and decrepit and the pick makes zero sense, but he’ll do for now.

Darkie

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yep same here, will sit there until February most likely. Haven’t had the time to sift through the value in other positions but I’m highly doubtful you can pull 260k from the other lines without compromise.

He’s old and decrepit and the pick makes zero sense, but he’ll do for now.
What are your thoughts on Westhoff's role/likely scoring BigRuss?

He managed his best SC season with personal highs for hitouts but also disposals. Averaged similarly with or without Ryder though, from what I could see.

Does Lycett/a fitter Ryder have an impact?

Wondering whether Westhoff's DPP makes sense standalone, and/or in conjunction with Mummy at R2 from round three onwards.

AFL Club
Port Adelaide
What are your thoughts on Westhoff's role/likely scoring BigRuss?

He managed his best SC season with personal highs for hitouts but also disposals. Averaged similarly with or without Ryder though, from what I could see.

Does Lycett/a fitter Ryder have an impact?

Wondering whether Westhoff's DPP makes sense standalone, and/or in conjunction with Mummy at R2 from round three onwards.
Think you can pretty much cut out his midfield minutes other than stints on the wing. To be honest, I’ve no idea how Port will structure up this season, if I were picking the team Watts would be playing in the magoos and I’d have Westhoff playing his role but it’s realy just an uneducated guess.

I think unless either Paddy or Lycett get injured, which history says will probably happen to both of them throughout the year, Ho*** average will dip back to what it has been historically, unless those injuries are significant.