Discussion 2020 All Australian Team Discussion

Bomber18

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Essendon
Jake Lloyd not even in the 40. Baffling🤷‍♂️.
I know people here refer to him as seagull, and while he may play a role where he’s often left loose out the back to mop up the scraps there is a reason for him having this role in the team, and that is he’s damn good at it. And with ball in hand there are few better decision makers and distributors of the pill in the competition
He averaged 128 SC pts whilst in my side and had no scores under 110. That’s reason enough too!

AFL Club
West Coast
Think the thing is with Lloyd is that whilst he's great at what he does... He's not seen as a great actual defender. The selectors left him out the squad of 40 last year as well. They obviously see his lack of actual defending as a negative.

Compare that to a Jonas or a Brad Sheppard, for example who averages 10 less touches a game (But doesn't take Kick-in's to inflate his stats)... But plays on the opposition's most damaging Medium/Small Forward every single week... And very rarely gets beaten. Think your Heeney, Dusty, Wingard, Walters, Greene, Breust's... These guys are match winners, But Sheppard who's stats don't always show up on the stat sheet... successfully locking down these guys every single week can often decide a match.

Rethinking my initial stab at the team... I think I'd have Jonas in ahead of Maynard. Jonas & Sheppard both deserve recognition for their multiple years at the All-Australian level, where as Maynard has just bobbed up this year.

AFL Club
GWS Giants
What if I told you the Captain of the AA team selected as a FWD this season would have a disposal efficiency a scratch above 60% and a scoring accuracy a scratch above 30%