Opinion 2020: Super Early Player Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.
AFL Club
Collingwood
Ta-da.

It’s official! Despite scintillating grand final debut, Marlion Pickett will be available at rookie-price in SuperCoach next year

It’s official, the player who was third in Norm Smith Medal voting in Saturday’s grand final will start the 2020 SuperCoach season at rookie-price.
In his first AFL game, Marlion Pickett tallied 22 disposals, eight contested possessions, one goal and 96 SuperCoach points in the 89-point drubbing of the Giants and will be priced in a similar way to former South Fremantle teammate Tim Kelly in 2018.

Peter Jankulovski, managing director at Vapormedia — the company responsible for Virtualsports — confirmed what SuperCoaches wanted to hear following the 27-year-old’s scintillating debut.

“He will likely be priced at the $123,900 mark, which is the standard for two-plus-year rookies or players on lists who had not made their debut,” Jankulovski said. While Pickett will head into 2020 with one game to his name, he is yet to make his SuperCoach debut, a competition which runs purely in the home-and-away season. “I don’t think yesterday will account for much and we’ll stick with the usual methodology,” Jankulovski said of the pricing formula which is based around regular season numbers.

While he can also play at half-back, Pickett, whose rise has been a remarkable one, is likely to be again classified as a midfielder-only, as he was in July this year after Richmond swooped in the mid-season draft. And, all going to plan, like Kelly’s did in his debut season, Pickett’s price is likely to skyrocket very quickly, if his grand final performance is anything to go by. The smooth-moving midfielder finished with 560 metres gained — only teammates Jason Castagna and Nick Vlastuin recorded more — and was one of only three players on the ground to not register a clanger.

“He’s just so composed with the ball. He was incredible really, the way he went about it,” coach Damian Hardwick said post-match. A week earlier, Pickett won the Norm Goss Medal as the best player on-the-ground in the VFL grand final after 20 disposals, 11 contested possessions, nine tackles, four score involvements and 123 SuperCoach points.

He’s a player who can have a huge influence, even with limited possession. It’s a part of his game South Fremantle coach Todd Curley, who had both Pickett and Kelly in his side in 2017, highlighted on the AFL website last November. “Tim has the ability, which we probably saw this year, to accumulate consistently big numbers,” Curley said. “(But) Marlion can have a big impact on a game with probably not as many possessions just through the way he attacks the ball.” And it’s a crucial trait to have if he’s going to be a consistent SuperCoach scorer next year.

As Kelly made his way to the next level — and averaged 93 SuperCoach points in his first season to rise by $346k — Pickett assumed the Geelong star’s midfield role in the WAFL, averaging 22 disposals per game in 2018. It surprised some that he wasn’t taken in last year’s draft, despite an enormous 26-disposal, four-goal performance in his side’s qualifying final victory. But everyone, including SuperCoaches, are happy with that way it’s worked out.Just less than 50 per cent of SuperCoach teams featured Kelly, who was yet to be seen at AFL level, in Round 1, 2018, Expect Pickett’s ownership percentage to eclipse that number in March next year.
@Spots

Pages 13 & 14 re Pickett's starting price

AFL Club
West Coast
thats correct and hopefully Brisbane get a good pick with 21 :D
It's an interesting pick that one because Brisbane will have a whole day to think about it. Other clubs will also be able to see if someone they are keen on has slipped through and might make a decent offer if for it too.

Last year Eagles had the first pick for day 2 (compo for Lycett) and swapped it for Gold Coasts picks 27 & 32 when everyone expected us to use it on Ian Hill... instead we got Xavier O'Neill and Bailey Williams, neither have played yet but Williams should get games this year as a developing ruck.

GC selected Jez McLennan - dont know enough about him to know if they made the right move

AFL Club
Richmond
I think the top 20 get drafted tonight with the remainder tomorrow.
Is it only the top 20? Not the whole first round?
It looks like the first round will be pushed out to 22/23 picks after academy bids and what not.

Will be interesting to see who Freo and Port pick up tonight, both will have 3 new players tonight and have had some pretty decent SC rookies recently.

AFL Club
West Coast
Is it only the top 20? Not the whole first round?
It looks like the first round will be pushed out to 22/23 picks after academy bids and what not.

Will be interesting to see who Freo and Port pick up tonight, both will have 3 new players tonight and have had some pretty decent SC rookies recently.
It looks like its Round 1 (currently 19 picks) plus any extra players draft through matching of bids (unless the pick used to match is actually a Round 1 pick) So GC might have the first pick tomorrow night not Brisbane..

AFL Club
Collingwood
Planned team for next year opinions?
DEF: Sam Docherty (409k), Lachie Whitfield (605k), James Sicily, Hayden Young, Zac Williams, Fischer McAsey, Sam De Koning, Lachie Ash
MID: Tom Mitchell (561k), Jack Macrae (670k) Nat Fyfe (652k), Callan Ward (397k), Dayne Beams (442k), Matt Rowell, Noah Anderson, Marlion Pickett, Sam Flanders, Dylan Stephens, Devon Robertson or Finn Maginness or Tom Green
RUCK: Brodie Grundy (707k), Max Gawn (698k), Luke Jackson
FORWARD: Josh Dunkley (633k), Isak Rankine (139k), Liam Henry, Caleb Serong, Kysaiah Pickett, Lance Franklin or Dusty, Cody Weightman, Miles Bergman

AFL Club
Melbourne
DEF: Sam Docherty (409k), Lachie Whitfield (605k), James Sicily, Hayden Young, Zac Williams, Fischer McAsey, Sam De Koning, Lachie Ash
MID: Tom Mitchell (561k), Jack Macrae (670k) Nat Fyfe (652k), Callan Ward (397k), Dayne Beams (442k), Matt Rowell, Noah Anderson, Marlion Pickett, Sam Flanders, Dylan Stephens, Devon Robertson or Finn Maginness or Tom Green
FORWARD: Josh Dunkley (633k), Isak Rankine (139k), Liam Henry, Caleb Serong, Kysaiah Pickett, Lance Franklin or Dusty, Cody Weightman, Miles Bergman
Just a few comments:
- I don't think Whitfield is likely to be Def (possibly Fwd)
- Beams always injured. Don't think I could stat him (also, Pies midfield is too stacked)
- Buddy ... "shudder"
- I like Doc & Ward - hard to pass over at their prices

AFL Club
West Coast
Just a few comments:
- Beams always injured. Don't think I could stat him (also, Pies midfield is too stacked)
- Buddy ... "shudder"
Lets throw in Harley Bennell for some value.... :eek:

AFL Club
Collingwood
Just a few comments:
- Buddy ... "shudder"
Buddy and Beams are more value picks and will look into them during preseason if Whitfield is a forward I will still probably pick him and just shift my team around. Others I was looking at are Bonar, Rance, and Nic Nat

Status
Not open for further replies.