Position 2021: Ruck Discussion

Which ruck setup are you planning on starting with?

• Gawn/Grundy/Flynn

Votes: 82 47.4%
  • Gawn/Grundy/Meek

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • Gawn/Grundy/Hunter

Votes: 8 4.6%
  • Gawn/Flynn/Meek

Votes: 25 14.5%
  • Gawn/Flynn/Hunter

Votes: 11 6.4%
  • Gawn/Meek/Hunter

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Grundy/Flynn/Meek

Votes: 14 8.1%
  • Grundy/Flynn/Hunter

Votes: 9 5.2%
  • Grundy/Meek/Hunter

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 17 9.8%

• Total voters

Goodie's Guns

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Not yet 😀

Rucks are about to get a lot more interesting again

I wonder what they price Jacob Edwards at and if he is a DPP.

And then North actually give him some games
Theres absolutely no chance Edwards plays AFL this year.
Yep not a chance he plays, it’d be a horrific decision if NTH did play him to be honest, and a remarkable backflip in comparison to the way they have gone about developing Xerri this year (which I think they have done very well).

Edwards is still doing year 12 this year, and has expressed that he’d like to continue to play school and NAB league footy for the remainder of the year.

AFL Club
Collingwood
Yep not a chance he plays, it’d be a horrific decision if NTH did play him to be honest, and a remarkable backflip in comparison to the way they have gone about developing Xerri this year (which I think they have done very well).

Edwards is still doing year 12 this year, and has expressed that he’d like to continue to play school and NAB league footy for the remainder of the year.
Thanks for the indepth reply , no Watson or Fletcher (was Hanneberry doing Year 12 when he debuted) schoolboy story.

So if they then pick these players up tonight does that guarantee them a spot on the senior list next year (or is the contract just for the rest of this season ? ) and they then don't have to go into the end of season draft ?

Goodie's Guns

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Thanks for the indepth reply , no Watson or Fletcher (was Hanneberry doing Year 12 when he debuted) schoolboy story.

So if they then pick these players up tonight does that guarantee them a spot on the senior list next year (or is the contract just for the rest of this season ? ) and they then don't have to go into the end of season draft ?
6 month contracts essentially.

But a player like Edwards, who’s been linked with NTH from very early in the season, will instantly sign another contract locking him in for X amount of years. It’s that guarantee that has seen Edwards actually nominate for the MSD, as he was certainly weighing up whether to just hold out until the National Draft and get the automatic 2 year deal.

Newcombe I believe is the only player to nominate special terms of contract ahead of tonight, of a four year deal on whatever money stipulated. That means whichever team wishes to select him has to meet those terms.

AFL Club
Collingwood
6 month contracts essentially.

But a player like Edwards, who’s been linked with NTH from very early in the season, will instantly sign another contract locking him in for X amount of years. It’s that guarantee that has seen Edwards actually nominate for the MSD, as he was certainly weighing up whether to just hold out until the National Draft and get the automatic 2 year deal.

Newcombe I believe is the only player to nominate special terms of contract ahead of tonight, of a four year deal on whatever money stipulated. That means whichever team wishes to select him has to meet those terms.
Cheers for that , I read something a few weeks ago about players if they went into the MSD trying to get "extra" security to bypass the end of season draft.

I guess the players then picked tonight get a taste of AFL club life (even if they don't play seniors) and then hope they can impress enough to get offered a longer term contract.

Be interesting to see how many get picked up tonight and actually get to play then.

AFL Club
Sydney
Zac Smith , Coleman-Jones & Reeves

The all rookie ruck line might be born again 😀
Put the gun down and slowly step away from the edge!

Edwards nominated an 18 month contract as his terms. Rest is just to end of year unless anyone else did it.

I might end up going Reeves and CCJ over the next two, depending on how many I have playing this week, CCJ really bad for byes but would add a score this week...

Pretty sold I'm holding Grundy, not averse to trading him (I have a free trade this week) but I can't find a decent target, NicNat doesn't generate enough cash and I don't trust his body, Darcy I don't think scores well enough or generates enough cash and don't trust his body. The names like Jacobs and Goldy I don't think can score enough and Nank got injured.

AFL Club
North Melb.
Pretty sold I'm holding Grundy, not averse to trading him (I have a free trade this week) but I can't find a decent target, NicNat doesn't generate enough cash and I don't trust his body, Darcy I don't think scores well enough or generates enough cash and don't trust his body. The names like Jacobs and Goldy I don't think can score enough and Nank got injured.
This sums it up pretty well for me.
I think the play with Grundy is down to Reeves, milk the cash then back to Grundy.
The other premium options feel like they will hurt you in the back end against a fit Grundy.

AFL Club
Sydney
This sums it up pretty well for me.
I think the play with Grundy is down to Reeves, milk the cash then back to Grundy.
The other premium options feel like they will hurt you in the back end against a fit Grundy.
The fit Grundy part is the big question. Worth noting that NicNat with a decent score (facing Pittonet!) would be pretty much a sideways trade for Grundy when he's back.

NicNat also does get Carlton, Richmond, Dogs and Sydney over his next 4, that's backup level, genuine part timers, the corpse of Stef Martin or a rookie and a banged up Hickey or a below backup level Sinclair. That should be a big month.

More I've looked I find myself pivoting a bit and maybe even going NicNat. 40k gets me part ways to my Danger dream.

It's a big decision, that's for sure!

Plus, I've already destroyed my season with ruck moves, why not continue :LOL:

AFL Club
Collingwood

Edwards nominated an 18 month contract as his terms. Rest is just to end of year unless anyone else did it.

I might end up going Reeves and CCJ over the next two, depending on how many I have playing this week, CCJ really bad for byes but would add a score this week...

Not sure Jacobs nominated for the mid season draft 😉 assume you mean O'Brien.

I am obviously not near the Top 5000 so words are a lot easier than actions , but trading out Grundy could actually be a massive season game changer.

Stay safe and hold like everyone else in the Top 5000 or be brave (bold) and trade him out and try and propel yourself closer to Top 10 and achieve something more meaningful.

AFL Club
Carlton

Mirkov 18 months also:https://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/950874

AFL Club
Carlton
The fit Grundy part is the big question. Worth noting that NicNat with a decent score (facing Pittonet!) would be pretty much a sideways trade for Grundy when he's back.

NicNat also does get Carlton, Richmond, Dogs and Sydney over his next 4, that's backup level, genuine part timers, the corpse of Stef Martin or a rookie and a banged up Hickey or a below backup level Sinclair. That should be a big month.

More I've looked I find myself pivoting a bit and maybe even going NicNat. 40k gets me part ways to my Danger dream.

It's a big decision, that's for sure!

Plus, I've already destroyed my season with ruck moves, why not continue :LOL:
Got me thinking about NicNat now with that run of games. Yes has the bad bye, but works with the have two rucks playing over the three byes which is handy. And doesn’t change other plans at all.

AFL Club
Sydney
Got me thinking about NicNat now with that run of games. Yes has the bad bye, but works with the have two rucks playing over the three byes which is handy. And doesn’t change other plans at all.
Having done my plans I actually think that 40k actually makes a big difference, basically the difference between Danger being in play for round 14 or having to go elsewhere.

The bye, weirdly, actually works for my side in that I'd actually end up with 2 for each bye assuming Reeves works.

On the flipside, no way I'd have enough trades left to get Grundy back, so would be all in on NicNat, probably not the POD I really wanted :LOL:

AFL Club
Carlton
Actually Nic Nat probably not worth the trade if your got 18 playing in each round. If say NN gets two 110 and your worst rookie get two 50. That’s only 120 points extra over the byes and if you can’t get Grundy back in he probably out scores NN more points over the rest of the season. Plus one less captain option.

Works if Grundy is out longer and maybe if there are less than 18 playing.

AFL Club
Richmond
Actually Nic Nat probably not worth the trade if your got 18 playing in each round. If say NN gets two 110 and your worst rookie get two 50. That’s only 120 points extra over the byes and if you can’t get Grundy back in he probably out scores NN more points over the rest of the season. Plus one less captain option.

Works if Grundy is out longer and maybe if there are less than 18 playing.
If I brought in NicNat and he got a pair of 110's against Pittonet and then Chol then I'd be pretty disappointed.

My poorest on field rookie is Treacy and he's not even averaging 30.

Maybe a more realistic calculation (from my perspective) is a pair of 140's and a pair of 30's which equates to 220pts. Add to that the ability to field 2 rucks/week because of his bye then that's Reeves score over a poor rookie which could be another 50pts. So 270pts all up.

NicNat also has favourable matchups over rnds 15-16 where he could again go large. Grundy is up against Darcy and Ryder over the same weeks so I would expect NicNat to at least match Grundy and possibly even score better.

That leaves 7 games for Grundy to outscore NicNat by 270(+?) pts which is nearly 40pts/game. Grundy has been averaging 10pts more than NicNat this year.

Trading Grundy out releases 40k, if he is traded back in after rnd 16 then there's another 60k on offer (footywire projections)

Best case is Grundy is out until rnd 15, worst case?