Competitions 2021: SCS Draft League

AFL Club
Hawthorn
I'm keen to understand what is happening with the rucks too. Their scoring was always going to come down after we moved back to 20 minute quarters, but we still had 6 rucks average 100+ in 2019. The first thing to say is it's only one round.

The two rucks people will focus on are Grundy and Gawn. In Grundy's case, the bulldogs took just under 58% of the available SC points for the night. That's huge for a game with a 16 point final margin. (Melbourne won by 22 points and took 53% of the SC points.) Grundy had 11 disposals and in 2019 only had a number that low once. 3 marks and 3 tackles are also in the low range for Grundy too. Basically, Collingwood got smashed, aside from their defenders.

Gawn is the more interesting one. He is 30 this year and peak age for a ruck is about 26. I suspect Melbourne will be managing Gawn throughout the season and that could mean he rucks 70% of game time so he can play every game, rather than risking him breaking down. If Jackson isn't injured and his form is competitive (for a 20 year old), Gawn probably won't get the mid time he used to.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Results for round 1 are in. A number of close games this round, with 5 matches decided by 40 points or less.

Below are the results for the round and the votes. The votes are determined based on SC points and should give a good indication of which players got coaches over the line. I'll try to keep a running total of the votes throughout the season.

1616323213875.png

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Well done @Nucholas, looks like I left too many points on the bench. Still a good sign to have the 4th highest score, suggests I should get a few wins.

AFL Club
North Melb.
Suspect this will become my main focus given my pitiful round 1 performance in classic. However not sure that my luck is any better over here though with my matchup with @Wolffy84 coming done to a Hurn v Bowes shoot out. Hurn got 118 but Bowes (who!!) got 146 :eek:. ***

Last edited:
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Suspect this will become my main focus given my pitiful round 1 performance in classic. However not sure that my luck is any better over here though with my matchup with @Wolffy84 coming done to a Hurn v Bowes shoot out. Hurn got 118 but Bowes (who!!) got 146 :eek:. ***
Looks like its going to be close matches across most of the rounds this season. Only 100 points separating 12 teams. Things can change quickly in draft leagues too as injuries/suspensions/form changes can impact certain coaches more than others.

Just a reminder that the post round 1 waiver period is now in effect. If you wish to use a waiver, you have until 4am tomorrow morning. Once the waivers have been cleared, free agency will be available until the start of the players round 2 match.

As always, you can find the waiver order on the right of the My Team tab on the draft site. Successfully utilising a waiver drops you to the bottom of the order, however waiting for free agency can see the player you want go to another coach.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Waivers post round 1 are now complete. That's Deliberate utilised two. Muppets, Crocodiles and The Try Agains utilised one each. These coaches now move down to the bottom of the waiver order.

Free agency is now available until the start of each players round 2 match.

Players dropped from coaches teams today are under waiver until 4am on Thursday and then will be part of free agency.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Round 2 matches are now complete. Scores were a bit more spread out this round as injuries and suspensions mounted. We have only 4 undefeated teams left and nobody is more than 1 win outside the top 8.

Scores and votes are below. It was the return of the high draft pick ruck men with both Grundy and Gawn picking up 3 votes.

1616926343855.png

The waiver period is open from now until 4am on Tuesday.

AFL Club
North Melb.
Round 2 matches are now complete. Scores were a bit more spread out this round as injuries and suspensions mounted. We have only 4 undefeated teams left and nobody is more than 1 win outside the top 8.

Scores and votes are below. It was the return of the high draft pick ruck men with both Grundy and Gawn picking up 3 votes.

View attachment 27813

The waiver period is open from now until 4am on Tuesday.
Interesting spin given it is mathematically impossible to be more than 1 win outside the top 8 after 2 rounds however I suppose I will have to take heart in that given I am currently holding everybody else up.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Alternatively I could say teams probably need about 7 wins to make the top 8. So even at 0-2, those teams only need to win 7 of their last 14 matches to make it. Still anybody's game.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Hopefully the season doesn't get impacted by the current situation in Brisbane. For those that didn't play SC draft last season, any games that were postponed at short notice (think Essendon V Melbourne), saw those players scoring 0 for the round (similar to the salary cap game). Fortunately we have unlimited trades in draft but its tough if you really don't want to trade out an impacted player.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Waivers post round 2 are now complete. Muppets utilised two. Random Cliche, Crocodiles and Wobblers 84 utilised one each. These coaches now move down to the bottom of the waiver order.

Free agency is now available until the start of each players round 3 match.

Players dropped from coaches teams today are under waiver until 4am on Thursday and then will be part of free agency.

(Keep in mind you can always reach out to other coaches and offer players for trade too.)

AFL Club
Hawthorn
I just went and had a look at our practice draft that we did, for a first try, my team looks more than OK so far, and it's doing better than my main entry. My first selection in Neale is actually my lowest averaging on field player (excluding Wingard, the on field donut) - would not have predicted that.

Likely to cop my first donut this round if Wingard misses again as McInerney is a confirmed out, and I already had 4 DNP in Rd 2. Still not making any changes like everyone else - it'll be interesting to see how things pan out at the end of the season if we all do keep our same starting teams, as it looks like nobody has traded/changed any players in that league.

2,220 points for the season, second best in the league is 1,999. Highly doubt I keep up that much of a lead:

Mills, Short, Howe
Neale, Bont, Wines, Guthrie
McInerney
Dunkley, Butters, Wingard
(Witherden, Greenwood, Berry, Marshall)

AFL Club
North Melb.
I just went and had a look at our practice draft that we did, for a first try, my team looks more than OK so far, and it's doing better than my main entry. My first selection in Neale is actually my lowest averaging on field player (excluding Wingard, the on field donut) - would not have predicted that.

Likely to cop my first donut this round if Wingard misses again as McInerney is a confirmed out, and I already had 4 DNP in Rd 2. Still not making any changes like everyone else - it'll be interesting to see how things pan out at the end of the season if we all do keep our same starting teams, as it looks like nobody has traded/changed any players in that league.

2,220 points for the season, second best in the league is 1,999. Highly doubt I keep up that much of a lead:

Mills, Short, Howe
Neale, Bont, Wines, Guthrie
McInerney
Dunkley, Butters, Wingard
(Witherden, Greenwood, Berry, Marshall)
Remember that this draft only had 8 teams compared to 14 in the main comp. Stands to reason this team would be doing much better.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Round 3 matches are now complete. That was quite an up and down round with many teams scoring less than 875, but the top team scoring over 1,100. Only two undefeated teams left now and just two teams yet to pick up a win.

Scores and votes are below. Many matches contained players that would have scored votes (and may have changed the outcome of the match ups) had they been on-field and not on the bench. (Always easier to get right post match.)

1617613211199.png

Leading the votes for the season are:
DEF: Ridley 5
MID: Walsh 6
RUCK: Gawn 6, Grundy 5
FWD: Martin 4, Walker 4, Ziebell 4, Dunkley 4

The waiver period is open from now until 4am on Wednesday.

AFL Club
Collingwood
Looking at the ladder I am very fortunate with my matchups have scored the lowest amount of points but am sitting in 4th with 2 wins

AFL Club
North Melb.
Really not sure what I am trying to achieve with trades. It seems you can really just tinker around the edges and can’t really improve your team significantly. Furthermore if you cop an LTI to a premo, like I have now with Shiel, you have just got to suck it up and hope for the best.

Please tell me if I am missing something here.