Analysis 2021 Season Reviews

AFL Club
Sydney
I don't know if this is normally done but I always find it cathartic to do one of these, I used to have a template I copied but it died with the FFC forum so will just wing it as best I can...

Overall Thoughts - Was a very tough season, a real grind for me, between not really enjoying watching the sport that much, some awful trading, the constant injuries whenever you thought you'd finally got one right and my incredible ability to pick the two worst captain options every week, it was just one of those seasons, on a positive battled through it to come out the other end having I believe not had a donut all season which was a pretty good effort and held up a top 1000 finish which while personally what I consider a poor result is still a pretty strong finish when it's all said and done.

Overall Rank - 852nd
Team Value - $13,545,300
Highest Overall Rank - 307th (Round 9)
Highest Round Rank - 62nd (Round 7)

Best Starting Picks

1. Sam Walsh - Incredibly thing pickings here, unfortunately, but Walsh takes the cake for mine as the only other 3 genuine contenders are Macrae, Ziebell and Laird who were all in every team and probably the 3 most automatic picks that could be made.

2. Tom Stewart - Finishes 2nd as the only other guy in my team round 23 that was even remotely unique to start the season AND successful.

Worst Starting Picks

1. Patrick Cripps - As bad as Cripps was, and he was terrible, it was the sequence of other choices linked to forcing him into my team that was the worst part. I spent the best part of my next 5 trades fixing this mistake when I could have just started the guys instead.

2. Tom Phillips - I genuinely didn't see him being that bad. I'm not sure any of my other real considerations here would have gone much better though :LOL:

Considering how few of my starting picks made my final team or were good it's actually amazing that these two were really the only two genuinely bad ones...

Best Trades

1. Tom Phillips > Isaac Cumming (Round 4) - Cumming hung around until my final side, played every game at a ~94 average and was, rollercoast aspect aside, genuinely enjoyable to watch. Will strongly consider starting him next year.

2. Lloyd Meek > Nick Hind (Round 5) - Was almost certainly my most enjoyable player to watch this year, loved his work. Sadly this trade isn't as good as it seems because of the chain that led to it (thanks Cripps) but got there in the end and he was great for me.

3. Ned Cahill > Jarman Impey (Round 3) - Getting off a dud starting pick and into what turned out to be a great pick that unfortunately ended a couple of weeks too soon. Impey was a genuine shock who outperformed my wildest expectation.

4. Jy Farrar > Tom Hawkins (Round 10) - Averaged 96 for my side, not a great bargain but good value and a pick that worked and, unlike most of my trades, actually played every game.

5a. Brodie Grundy > Nic Naitanui (Round 12) - This trade allowed me to do 5b, so will put them together. This trade netted me 342 points on the hold decision given I had no cover in the end for Grundy and would have copped no scores (given I scraped 18 in those byes genuinely donutville was looming). Only part that stops this being higher was that Darcy was the other guy I considered and he scored 110 points more and cost 40k less!

5b. Sam Berry > Jack Steele (Round 12) - Part b of the trade, he's not higher because basically every man and his dog grabbed him within a week either side of this so he really only mattered because he was the one guy this year who seemed to do well if I put the VC/C on him!

6. Anthony Scott > Christian Petracca (Round 11) - It was a pretty shaky start but walked away with a 117+ average over the rest of the season at a very reasonable price.

Worst Trades

I'm going to list the chains first...

1. Cripps > Butters (r3) > Hickey (r5) > Treacy (r6) into Dunkley > Gawn (r7) - This series of trades was beyond toxic finishing with the single worst trade I made this season of paying absolute top dollar for Gawn to then be about the 5th best ruck from that point onward, troll the absolute crap out of me as a captain option and just genuinely make me question my manlove for the great man...

2. Bergman > Martin (r10) > Bolton - This one is more about opportunity cost, the other two names I considered for this trade were Hall and Zorko and honestly I'd rather not go there on the Bolton aspect :LOL:

3. Taranto > Neale (r15) > Oliver (r16) - It's not so much ending with Oliver, I overpaid and he underscored from that point while also trolling the absolute crap out of me as a captain, 99 average as captain, 141 average the other weeks but more the stupid trade to Neale in the middle... The other aspect was that getting Oliver meant I could only afford Houston for Docherty and that was a very toxic trade.

4. Dow > McCluggage (Round 6) - The worst kind of trade, the one that you feel great about for the first month, draws you in and then produces just badly enough to be crushing the team but just well enough to never reach the must trade level as the trades run out to the point where their unacceptable average at trade in time actually reduced by the end of the season. What a first month it was though :LOL: To be fair, I think McCluggage still ended up better than Neale, who was the 2nd player this week from memory, although Titch was 3rd and obviously the right answer in hindsight!

Biggest Regret - Starting Cripps as already mentioned. This led to a chain of horrible outcome trades and I can't even fault the individual trades as it was all injuries until the Gawn mistake but that chain still happened as a result but even more costly is that it meant not starting Cumming, Impey, Daniher and Powell as well as cutting costs from Oliver/Steele (this was a coinflip I never made) down to Jelly and Mills down to Docherty. Every year I end up with Tigers and Blues I never even wanted because of that damn awful Thursday night game :LOL:

Next biggest was not trading in Touk when I was going to ahead of the byes.

Lessons Learned

1. PRESEASONS MATTER - Every damn year I write this, every damn year I choose to ignore it come round 1 when players are too cheap, too available or whatever excuse I manufacture, even worse than that I get suckered in mid-season when I already know better because that player without a preseason gets hurt in a game and gets even cheaper...

2. Durability matters - Some injuries I had no real evidence to support, they're bad luck... Docherty, Dunkley, Neale after his season, Greene, Cripps, Whitfield and throw in a Fyfe or Heeney in other formats I just know better. To be fair, Dunkley was a great pick until he was hurt and was cheap enough to justify but you could say the same thing about Cripps on the price front...

3. Paying top dollar is a fools game - Not one of my best trades involves a guy at a high price. Why is someone cheap? Has it been fixed? Buy. Worth noting Clug was cheap because his role isn't good when Neale/Berry/Lyons/Zorko all play, I made this mistake despite knowing it... Petracca/Steele were cheap because they were playing FF and then they weren't, that's easy.

4. HB is the easiest position in the sport - Honestly, look at the top forwards, it's just a whole bunch of HB flanks, none of whom I think anyone would have described as a special talent at the start of the season. I will load up on them next year, it's fantasy gold as a position.

5. Midfield is still king... the top two defenders by average, both mids. The 1st and 3rd by total points, both mids, the top 10 forwards by average is 4 midfielders, 4 half back flanks, a ruck and a KPF, the top 10 by total is 3 mids, 4 half backs, 2KPF and a HF flanker. This stays basically the same over any time period of the season...

6. Don't mess with the ruck position - It's just too much hurt and too hard to fix and cover, you need both the 2nd and 3rd ruck to be certainties if you're going to take chances here or you need legit R/F coverage, I got smoked by this position this year.

7. Take the risks in the forwards - It's the position that changes the most, has the huge variability and always has bargains throughout the year. Mids aren't worth it, you can get safe guns and always have safe guns to bail to, having non-guns is just crippling here as the season goes on.

8. Pick with your heart more - Having players you genuinely enjoy watching is way more fun than cheering for a dog you don't like. Hind wasn't the best pick but I'll be damned if he wasn't my favourite to watch this year. Not having Mills, Oliver, Touk and more than a few others as they tore me a new one really sucked.

9. Back your breakouts - Honestly, this hurt the most this year, I was so right on so many guys Hind, Rich, Dale (albeit not round one), Ziebell, De Goey (after Buckley), Steele, Touk, Mills, Cumming, Daniher and Hall (midseason), of that group I started only Ziebell, traded in only Cumming, Hind, Steele and De Goey (when I was forced) but was right on them, I even went against the gut to pick Phillips and Cripps for some reason ("safe plays"). Ironically probably my best choices were the guys I didn't start that I was "right" about this year, namely Neale, Danger, Heeney (sadly) and Lloyd.

10. Midpricers are still alive - This year wasn't exceptional, every year it feels like you can cherry pick them but last year was the same, you had a bunch of guys, especially forwards, that were absolutely pickable and this year was no different.

11. Try and remove biases - This one is best exemplified by the Dustin Martin vs Aaron Hall discussions... Don't need to say much more but put more attention to the here and now and logic and less to emotion and historical performance that doesn't match the current season. Also if a player looks fat, it's probably a sign.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Overall Thoughts - The AFL did really well to put a show on, with border changes throughing up a fair few curveballs. SC did better at trade compensation than last year. A really good tonic for to remind me of the value trades. This is the first year I've run out for a while and I know I've been tending towards being to trigger happy. This year fixed that.

Overall Rank - 1848 odd
Team Value - $13.61m (Max $13.76 rnd 21)
Highest Overall Rank - 530th (Round 14)
Highest Round Rank - 28th (Round 10)
NTLC membership - Round 19

Best Starting Picks

1. Callum Mills - really low ownership, role change obvious pick, really held my season together, until after I ran out of trades, but that is my fault.

2. Issac Cumming - the void of opportunity with both distrubutors moving on, pick him. Interestingly enough, it was only a later round 1 withdrawal that got him in my team.

3. Cash making rookies - Meek, Campbell, Gulden, Rowe, Warner, Flynn, Jordon, et al.

4. No floating donut. I got enough as the season went on.

Worst Starting Picks

1. Patrick Cripps - As bad as Cripps was, and he was terrible, it was the sequence of other choices linked to forcing him into my team that was the worst part. I spent the best part of my next 5 trades fixing this mistake when I could have just started the guys instead. [No need to change from Wogitalia here.]

2. Patrick Dangerfield - preseason injury. Don't bloody pick him. Another chain of trades and zeros.

3. Josh Kelly - playing foward, scoring badly, then getting cheap and allowing others to buy, then scoring good.

Best Trades

1. Cahill ($161k) + Bank > Texas Ranger Walker ($298k) (round 3)

2. Walker $419k to Mitchell $526k for about 123 average (round 9).

3. Gulden to Oliver (Round 8).

4. (2nd last trade) Langford to Marshall (round 19).

5. last trade of buying Hall, shoulda done it sooner.

Not enough good trades. Simple.

Worst Trades

I'm going to list the chains first...

1. Cripps > Dustin Martin who scored rubbish, and needed my final trade.

2. Danger, who I held for multiple donus > Neale injured that game > Gawn for top dollar who scored rubbish.

3. Campbell (out too soon) > Hickey (via DPP) (round 5) > McCreery to fund Gawn the following round (Round 7).

4. Cumming > Harmes, hell Cumming outscored him, had a better bye, which I used an extra trade to get players in during Harmes' bye.

5. Flynn to Reeves a round early! Didn't play over the byes, costing trades and points. Don't go early I said...FMD.

Biggest Regret - Starting Cripps as already mentioned.

Lessons Learned and Relearned

[In addition to the great man Wogitalia's]

1. SLINGSHOTS ARE DEAD - I just burnt to many trades that I needed at the end.

2. FULL UBER PREMO REMAINS ACHIEVEABLE - but its still hard and you won't necessarily get there.

3. FORWARD ROOKIES STILL SUCK - KPF/Ds like Kozi, I mean you'll get the rollercoaster gulden 100, but he'll be on the bench. Avoid if at all possible.

4. LOOK FOR THE LACK OF PRESEASON/INJURY VOID OF OPPORTUNITY - Lyons and during the season Zorko: Neale injurred, there are points there, take them.

5. ROLES CHANGE, BUT CLASS IS PERMANENT: Caleb Daniel your move to the midfield and continued scoring, despite being well behind Macrae and Bont is to be commended. Give them a chance if it's not a poison forward pocket - looking at you Jelly.

6. CONTINUE TO FOCUS ON THE ROOKIES PRESEASON - its the best investment in time, watch the games, even parts of them to get a feel. Hello Kayo. Goodbye SCScores for 2021!

@pizza safety you're up [Then tag someone else!]

AFL Club
Collingwood
Overall Thoughts - Was a very enjoyable season with a lot of lessons learnt throughout the year. Didn't pick too many mid-pricers which was new for me and helped as I could use my corrective trades on poor premo picks. Had some good and bad trades through the year and just some bad luck. Next year I will focus on maximising how I spend what money I have and not just trade to the highest priced player I can.

Overall Rank - 561st
Team Value - $13,812,700
Highest Overall Rank - 518th (Round 22)
Highest Round Rank - 64th (Round 20)

Best Starting Picks

1. Jordan Butts - Was a POD rookie that put up some big scores at crucial times and gained the need 150k and was very important in avoiding donuts.

2. Any of the players that lasted the whole season in my side - Macrae, Steele, Merrett., Laird, Ziebell, Gawn (Kind of Stewart even though he got traded in round 22)

Worst Starting Picks

1. Josh Kelly - Didn't research this enough and the role change caught me out and I traded him in round 5 after a series of 90s from the forward pocket

2. Lachie Neale - This one hurt as I avoided him all preseason and had Clarry there the whole time but about a day before the season I read an article about Neale and swapped them which was just a bad decision.

3. Caleb Daniel - This one more hurts as it turns out I should have held but he went out with Jelly after an 18 in which he got suspended as his role seemed to have changed.

These picks just hurt because the caused unnecessary trades that would have been useful later in the season.

Best Trades

1. Chapman to Dale (Round 8) - This felt like a massive risk at the time but turned out to be great as Dale only got better.
2a. Short to Langford (Round 14) - This part of the trade wasn't the best but it was the rest of the trade that set up my season
2b. Poulter to Haynes (Round 14) - Haynes was a decent pick up at 330k and enabled me to finish my team this round and was an ok D6.
2c. Waterman to Bramble (Round 14) - Gave me the final 100k needed to complete part 4 of this trade and Bramble was amazing cover
2d. Murphy to Mitchell (Round 14) - Using all the 400k I had remaining I made this trade which turned out great as Mitchell went crazy in the back half.
3. Impey to Danger - Danger was really good and I got him in before his 180 at his lowest price.

Worst Trades

1. Martin to Butters (Round 19) - Took a major risk that didn't come off and probably what stopped me from getting top 500
2. Kosi to Chapman (Round 4) - Just a poor rookie sideways that didn't come off
3. Powell to Martin (Round 10) - Just ended up following the pack into a trade that didn't put me back because everyone else had him but would have progressed so much more otherwise.

Biggest Regret - Not backing in my gut in preseason which meant Oliver went to Neale and Mills went to Daniel on the day before the season going against all my preseason research. Though I have to do research to go along with my gut as Jelly and Butters were traded in without too much thought and just with hope it would work.

Lessons Learned

1. Research everyone in preseason - Have already started doing this by making player reviews from the year and will help me avoid starting poor picks.
2. Durability - Pick players that will play as many games as possible as too not minimise sideways trades
3. Hold rookies that have good job security - I traded out Kosi and Bergman early which hurt later in the season but held Harry Jones when many others didn't which was good.
4. Don't have FOMO - Jumping on players just late just because others had them is a bad idea. I traded in Ridley in Round 4 and he got concussed in Round 6 so I majorly overpaid and didn't have the gains of his high scores in the first 3 rounds and traded in players such as Dusty when I shouldn't have

AFL Club
Essendon
Overall Thoughts - What a hectic year it was. Full time work along with studying a full time course meant there was a zero social life and limited Supercoach research. Turned out to be my most successful season to date. Supercoach was a handy escape from overdue assignments. :)

Overall rank - 17th
Team value - $13,992,500
Highest overall rank - 17th
Highest round rank - 107th. 166th. 193rd. 317th. 388th.

Best starting picks - Possibly Atkins, Impey and Ziebell in the forward line. Atkins was a handy POD as he was putting a decent score on the board as well as making money. Was averaging around 90 when I cashed him in.

Worst starting pick - Phillips, however I saw the writing on the wall early and he was traded to Tex in round 3 for a great result.

Worst trade - Paying top dollar (614k) for Ridley in round 5 to see him injured in the first quarter then miss a week. Bringing in Heeney was fail when I needed him. He didn't last long before he got the boot.

Best trades - Phillips to Tex early, Rowe to Zorko at 485k, Gulden to Kelly at 508k, Powell to Petracca at 530k, Atkins to Steele at 563k, Grundy to NicNat at 585k during the byes, and RCD to Boak at 533k.

Biggest regret - Yep, paying overs for Ridley. The other one was bringing Marshall in then him missing the following game for a Covid breach.

Lessons learned - Treat it like the stock market, sell high, buy low. Enjoy Supercoach and don't take it too seriously. Don't get to bogged down on an assignment and forget to do your trades before a Thursday night game lockout. :rolleyes:

Had a great season, enjoyed the different ideas and banter here on this site.
Thanks to all who gave me advice throughout the season.
Time for some SC Horse Racing and some BBL.
Stay safe everyone.

AFL Club
Adelaide
Rank - 1068
Highest rank - 36th

Best starting picks -
Atkins -
Did fall off right before the byes but got an 82 average out of him and just helped stabilize the forward line
Butt - Was 4% owned and fielded a few nice 80+ scores.
Midfield - Steele, Oliver and Macrae were the top 3 mids and Merrett's return was okay.

Worst Starting Picks
Phillips -
Didn't realise he's not very good, thought he was playing inside as well but we never saw it with the full squad.
Brockman - WAFL colts numbers were ordinary so should have skipped him
Daniel - Came good but felt he was a forced trade as he lost kickouts, turns out they threw him inside mid which was his role as a junior.

Worst Trade -
It Seems to happen every year, a chain of failure. Daniel to Bowes, Bowes to Guthrie (on injury game), then Guthrie to Danger (right before Guthrie came good again). If I had a bit of displine this could have been avoided. Also Trading James Jordon for 200k.

Best Trade
Hall for 419k and Rowan for 439k. Not much else went right.

MIsses
Never got Stewart, Mills, Zorko, De Goey, Touk, Lyons or Bont. Too many good players hurting the rank every week.

Biggest regret - Picking speculative in defense or mid, why bother with all the proven guys to pick from. Far enough if theyre cheap (e.g. Cumming 270k) but 490k for Bowes was stupid. Also paid up for rookies after price rises 4 times, never used to do this but got FOMO. Just didnt learn to let players go and not panic.

Lessons learnt - Not to pick team based on AFL rule changes, let missed rookies go instead of sideways good ones (Kosi, Jordon, Bergman early) and avoid the vet GWS players.

Last edited:
AFL Club
Collingwood
Overall Thoughts - was very excited for this season, despite being in year 12 and thinking i wouldnt have much time for supercoach, i was compltely wrong, as i currently write this during my maths class

Overall rank - 42nd
Team value - $13,965,000
Highest overall rank - 35th
Highest round rank - 17th (my best ever, scoring 2500 in round 11)

Best starting picks - 5 premium mids that ended up holding until the end, zieball and proabbly laird, my starting team was however not the season i endedup doing well

Worst starting pick - hunterclark, was fun to watch, just didnt get played in good positions and then got injured

Worst trade - out of 30 trades i had 2 that were not very good, trading in walsh for 607k instead of bont and also getting heeney throguh the byes

Best trades - BEST TRADE OF MY SEASON AND MAYBE THE BEST TRADE EVER CALDWELL + SHARP -> CUMMING + IMPEY (which pretty much ended up as 2 premiums for the a midpricer and a rookie)

Biggest regret - paying 600 for walsh and getting sucked in to heeney, and captaining danger in the last round

Lessons learned - Make it fun, start pods, just go with your gut, it works, i promise

now 20th on the supercoach data Hall of Fame, what an honour haha

THANKS EVERYONE FOR THE GREAT SEASON
1629938711373.png

Last edited:
AFL Club
Collingwood
Rank - 1068
Highest rank - 36th

Best starting picks -
Atkins -
Did fall off right before the byes but got an 82 average out of him and just helped stabilize the forward line
Butt - Was 4% owned and fielded a few nice 80+ scores.
Midfield - Steele, Oliver and Macrae were the top 3 mids and Merrett's return was okay.

Worst Starting Picks
Phillips -
Didn't realise he's not very good, thought he was playing inside as well but we never saw it with the full squad.
Brockman - WAFL colts numbers were ordinary so should have skipped him
Daniel - Came good but felt he was a forced trade as he lost kickouts, turns out they threw him inside mid which was his role as a junior.

Worst Trade -
It Seems to happen every year, a chain of failure. Daniel to Bowes, Bowes to Guthrie (on injury game), then Guthrie to Danger (right before Guthrie came good again). If I had a bit of displine this could have been avoided. Also Trading James Jordon for 200k.

Best Trade
Hall for 419k and Rowan for 439k. Not much else went right.

MIsses
Never got Stewart, Mills, Zorko, De Goey, Touk, Lyons or Bont. Too many good players hurting the rank every week.

Biggest regret - Picking speculative in defense or mid, why bother with all the proven guys to pick from. Far enough if theyre cheap (e.g. Cumming 270k) but 490k for Bowes was stupid. Also paid up for rookies after price rises 4 times, never used to do this but got FOMO. Just didnt learn to let players go and not panic.

Lessons learnt - Not to pick team based on AFL rule changes, let missed rookies go instead of sideways good ones (Kosi, Jordon, Bergman early) and avoid the vet GWS players.
saw the rank, then saw the guthrie trade in, and i knew it was Jords

tough season for you mate, been watching the vids and posting on the discord every once in a while, we will get em next year

AFL Club
Melbourne
Overall Thoughts - Was an outstanding season overall, personal PB end of season ranking, 20th weekly ranked round score in Rd 13, only to be dwarfed by weekly number 1 ranked score in Rd 23 with 2,813. I commented in a weekly review by about Rd 18-19 my team really seemed to be strugging, but went balistic in the last 5-6 rounds on limited trades (3), overall ranking went from 529 after Rd 18 to 92 after Rd 23, talk about coming home with a wet sail. Worked out mu average C score for the year was 134 over 23 rounds. Carried Taranto all year in M8, but even he come good, brought in Heeney after his poor run of scores in Rd 17 for an average of 100. Without wanting to make anyone feel bad, as seen by the number of Best Trades v Worst Trades, not much went wrong for the year. Even managed to win the prestigious SuperCoachScores Premier League premiership :cool:.

Overall Rank - 92nd
Team Value - $14,053,500 (plus 50k ITB)
Highest Overall Rank - 92nd (Round 23)
Highest Round Rank - 20th (Round 13), 1st (Round 23)
Average Captian Weekly Score: 134 (one for year under 100), (ave post byes was 137)

Best Starting Picks

1. Rory Laird
2. Jack Macrae
3. Max Gawn
4. Jack Ziebell

Worst Starting Picks

1. Tom Phillips
2. Liam Duggan
3. Ned Cahill

Cahill was traded out Rd 3. Phillips traded out Rd 4, Duggan traded out Rd 8

Best Trades

1. Neale -> Steele (Rd 16)
2. Dow -> Impey (Rd 3)
3. Grundy -> Naitanui (Rd 12)
4. Stewart - > Lloyd (Rd 23)
5. Rowe -> Hall (Rd 13)
6. Gulden -> Oliver (Rd 7)
7. Berry -> Mitchell (Rd 9)
8. Jordan -> Rich (Rd 14)
9. CCJ -> Heeney (Rd 17)

Worst Trades

1. Daniher -> Bergman (Rd 5) (not a bad trade in itself, but went too early on Daniher)

Biggest Regret - Hard to have regrets after a O/A ranking of 92nd for the season, but starting Phillips and Duggan were clear mistakes and trading Daniher too early, but clearly neither were terminal.

Last edited:
AFL Club
Carlton
Overall Thoughts - After five years of using this site exclusively for BBL I felt it was about time I gave my other sporting love, the AFL version a crack. I definitely enjoyed trying to figure my way around the restraints that BBL SC just doesn't have, but equally I fell into the trap post-bye of trying to be too cute and entered the NTLC very early indeed, killing off the end of my season. A very valuable experience, made much more rewarding by the SCS community and the various competitions therein. :)

Overall Rank - 5581
Team Value - $13,517,400 (35k ITB)
Highest Overall Rank - 739 (Round 8)
Highest Round Rank - 142 (Round 7)
NTLC Entry - Round 17

Starting Team
DEF: Laird, Stewart, Short, Daniel, Clark, Highmore (Koschitzke, Sharp)
MID: Macrae, Merrett, Cripps, Taranto, Phillips, Dow, Campbell, Powell (Scott, Gulden, McNeil)
RUC: Gawn, Grundy (Flynn)
FWD: Dangerfield, Dunkley, Ziebell, Daniher, Warner, Bergman (Brockman, Rowe)
(premium, kept for the full season)

Best Starting Picks - Stewart, Macrae, Dunkley probably my best premos on each line given the alternatives it meant I passed on (particularly Dusty in the forwards). For the rookies, Flynn was amazing (but an obvious pick), Powell, Gulden, Scott, Warner and Bergman made very good money, while I moved too early on Koschitzke and Rowe.

Worst Starting Picks - Naturally, the only two I picked from my own team - Cripps and Dow. The irony is Dow would have made decent money if I'd brought him back later - but no way in hell was I doing that!

Other picks of interest - Mainly added this category so I could talk about Caleb Daniel. What a rollercoaster. Looked like a reasonable move until Ballarat, round 4, when not only did he turn in a sub-20 score he also got himself suspended. You'd think this is obvious grounds for removal. It would have been, only Tom Phillips was worse! Daniel then recovering OK, getting midfield time (!) on his way to a 93 average is... well, it's unders compared to what I paid for him, but not by all that much?

Copping Danger getting suspended round 1 also obviously not ideal, but flipped him straight to Mills which was one of my best moves even though I missed his best score. Which leads me to...

Best Trades
In chronological order:
Danger -> Mills (Rd 2)
Phillips -> Oliver (Rd 6)
Grundy -> Naitanui (Rd 12)
Jordon -> Mitchell (Rd 14)

After remaining utterly unconvinced about the ruck trade consistently after making it, Grundy tailed off big time and Naitanui put up a monster in the last game to make it a definitive win. The only thing that would have made it better is picking Darcy instead!

Worst Trades
Watch this, Lis, you can actually pinpoint the second his season breaks in half...
bolton.JPG
And... now!

On its merits, bringing Bolton in at this point wasn't the worst idea I've ever had. What made it terrible is that Zorko was available at around the same price and went on an absolute tear. Meanwhile Bolton put in a good game to make me feel good about the move, then got himself injured off field - caught in a horrible role - unfit? - the absolute works. Death riding Zorko, who I love to watch normally, was not a fun experience.

Other poor life choices:
Cripps -> Ridley (Rd 4) - right before the concussion, subsequent week off, and Redman stealing all his gimmie points.
Bringing in Ben Brown (Rd 7) and Jeremy Cameron (Rd 9) - both bad picks but for slightly different reasons. This was kind of FOMO in a different sense: I'd watched Tex get away given that Impey and Jordon were the obvious Rd 3 correction trades for me, and tried to pick out someone playing a similar role who could go on a similar run. Naturally Brown had a series of games in the ballpark of what I was looking for... after he'd been dropped first by the Demons and then by myself. Cameron was a bad pick on injury grounds.
Powell -> Cerra -> Pendlebury (Rd 11/15) - Got absolutely sucked in here, Cerra was 400k and had some very good games prior to injury, and rolled out nothing until the bye when a better mid priced option showed up. Meanwhile, round 11 was when Steele hit his low point for the season, and I completely passed him up! Keep it simple with your super premos.

Biggest Regret - When Dunkley got injured everyone had the pick of the litter in terms of who to replace him with. Given the option of anyone I wanted in the competition, I went with... Sam Walsh.

Do I regret that? Not at all, Walsh had a superb season and gave me a lot of joy this year from both a SC and club perspective. What I regret is not following my gut and picking up a player who looked for all the world to be breaking out, was completely unique and, because he played for Gold Coast, nobody watched him.

Touk Miller.

I would never get anywhere near picking him up again, because he just didn't drop off after that. I think the reason I didn't go for it is the fabled GC drop off in the second half of the year - but he kept up his standard and arguably even raised it to try and lift his flagging team. One of the better individual seasons I've ever seen and one I was willing not to happen for several weeks! Eventually at some point you just have to appreciate it for what it is though.

Walsh, on the other hand, got thoroughly de Boer'd in round 14 and dropped to a low of 542k, which was about 40k less than I paid for him. If I get Miller and Steele right, none of the other silly chains need to happen, and I don't run out of trades 24 hours before Mills gets ruled out under COVID protocol and the entire rest of the season goes to hell.

Lessons Learned - aside from what I just wrote? It really is just a game. And I'll be back to play it probably for years on end.

AFL Club
St Kilda
Overall Thoughts – I thought the AFL managed the year really well all considered, and I was grateful to have games to watch and SC to play to distract me/us from what has been a very ordinary year for many. Really enjoyed the banter on the SCS site. I also enjoyed seeing the kids’ eyes roll when I insisted on updating them about how my season was going.

Overall Rank – 795th
Team Value - $13,861,700
Highest Overall Rank - 277th (Round 7)
Highest Round Rank – 165th (Round 7)

Best Starting Picks

• Gawn, Grundy & Flynn – saved a lot of trades
  • Sam Walsh – was almost Cripps
  • Tom Stewart – picked him for reliability but turned out to be a high scorer
  • Daniher
  • Not starting Lloyd and Neale
Even though I had a bad first round (positioned 25k) partly due to Gawn and Grundy not firing I had a decent starting team with most of the premos holding up for the season.

Worst Starting Picks

• Josh Kelly – thought he'd start well never for a moment considered he’d be played out of position
  • Dangerfield - too expensive given his pre-season
  • Dow (instead of Impey)
  • Starting two FDs – Sharp and Fullarton

Best Trades

1. Danger to Mills (Rd 2) – took a chance on Mills mainly due to the hype from @wogitalia and turned out to be a great pick.
2. Dunkley to Zorko ($485k) (Rd 7) – and enjoyed watching the FOMO after he went on a tear.
3. Daniher to Danger (Rd 15) – timed this one well.

Worst Trades

• Dow to Atkins Rd 3 - (instead of Impey)
  • Kelly to Steele Rd 5 – should have gone Oliver - Steele underperformed and got really cheap.
  • Marshall in Rd 9 and back out Rd 10 – stupid risk to take given his injury
  • Flynn to Reeves Rd 13 – got caught out on this and it through out my structure really badly
  • Short to Houston Rd 14 – tried a sling shot that backfired but I was scrambling to avoid donuts.
  • Martin to Bolton Rd 19 – not sure I had much choice at the time but still…

Biggest Regrets

• Not bringing in Impey instead of Dow or later Atkins - I had ambitions to be the only team in the Top 100 without Impey.
  • Stubbornly refusing to bring in Hall despite all the positive commentary – I thought that if he gets injured (as predicted) he would have been a great negative POD
  • Not trading Grundy to Nic Nat Rd 12. I was also holding Zorko so with two FDs I was four down going into the byes.
  • Touk Miller – I was so close to bringing him in over the byes – the man’s a star. Take note @Professor :p
  • Missing the Reeves late out and not being able to reverse it – really messed me up structurally plus the waste of a trade.
  • Bringing in Houston and Greene over the byes trying too hard to hold rank. They were risky picks and I paid the price.
  • The last few rounds – both Mills and Kelly out through Covid Rd 21, and then Lloyd, Mills and Stewart Rd 22 which gave me my worst round position for the year and knocked me out of my leagues.

Lessons Learnt
  • Being a contrarian with popular picks like Hall and Impey, and being too slow to hop on the breakout types. A Top 1000 finish isn’t too shabby (for me) but taking a bit more risk at times could have made a huge difference.
  • Quality has a way of winning out - Kelly came good as did Caleb - roles can change.
  • Even if you have the cash don't over pay - you will need it later. Paid $100k too much for Steele and almost paid top dollar for Bont.
  • Decide at the start what my focus is and play for it. This year I wanted to do well in my important leagues but couldn’t let go of the desire to finish 'highish' overall. This led me to using too many trades through the byes and it cost me in the end – out in straight sets.

AFL Club
Carlton
Overall Thoughts - was very excited for this season, despite being in year 12 and thinking i wouldnt have much time for supercoach, i was compltely wrong, as i currently write this during my maths class

Overall rank - 42nd
Team value - $13,965,000

Best starting picks - 5 premium mids that ended up holding until the end, zieball and proabbly laird, my starting team was however not the season i endedup doing well

Worst starting pick - hunterclark, was fun to watch, just didnt get played in good positions and then got injured

Worst trade - out of 30 trades i had 2 that were not very good, trading in walsh for 607k instead of bont and also getting heeney throguh the byes

Best trades - BEST TRADE OF MY SEASON AND MAYBE THE BEST TRADE EVER CALDWELL + SHARP -> CUMMING + IMPEY (which pretty much ended up as 2 premiums for the a midpricer and a rookie)

Biggest regret - paying 600 for walsh and getting sucked in to heeney, and captaining danger in the last round

Lessons learned - Make it fun, start pods, just go with your gut, it works, i promise

View attachment 33760
Wow you came home with a real bang, well done. My season died in the arse (a ton of injuries at the end), only finished 80th.

AFL Club
North Melb.
Overall Rank - 1,213
Highest Overall Rank - 330 (Round 3)
Lowest Overall Rank - 4,474 (Round 6)
Highest Weekly Rank - 537 (Round 10)
Lowest Weekly Rank - 48,947 (Round 4)
Final Team Value - $13,519,300

5 Best Starting Picks
1. Impey
- For the first 14 rounds of the year i basically had a 213k priced starting pick averaging well enough to be a forward keeper. Would have likely remained in my side all year if not for his injury but averaged 90.8 and made 195k before needing to be traded.

2. Daniher - Got off to a slow start averaging only 61.3 in the first 4 rounds then went on a massive run for the next 8 weeks only going below 82 once. Traded out in round 13 for a 175k profit and a 79.9 average in my side.

3. Z.Merrett - Can't ask for much more from a starting pick. Played every game, was super consistent only going below 90 twice and ended the season with a 115 average and as a top 10 mid pick.

4. T.Stewart - Only reason why he wasn't a few spots higher was the late season injury. Was in every single pre season draft side i made and he delivered on his potential, averaged 107.6 over the course of the year and was a great pod early on.

5. Dunkley - Wasn't sold on him as a pick before the JLT game against the Demons but glad i started him. Made 75k and averaged 130 over the first 6 rounds before needing to be traded.

5 Worst Starting Picks
1. Neale
- Paid 722k for a guy who averaged 76 in the first two rounds before requiring a trade. My X vs Y was Neale & Meek vs Gawn & midfield rookie. Don't even want to know how many ranks that cost me considering Gawn averaged 141.2 before i could trade him in and i essentially had Meek over Jordon as a starting pick which lead to me trading out Scott before he made 180k.

2. Dow - Paid 203k for a rookie that i started twice on the field and made 5k before trading out. Any other rookie that played round 1 that i didn't have would have been the better pick and i could have distributed the 80k to get a better premium.

3. Daniel - Over the course of the year he was an ok starting pick averaging around 92 when taking into consideration a rookie score for his game missed despite being priced at 101 avg to start the year. However as a starting pick he was woeful, averaged 73.2 in the first 6 rounds and that's not including a rookie score for the game missed. Would have been an ideal bottomed out premium selection around round 8, just glad i decided to hold on to him after his score of 19 and through his suspension.

4. Dangerfield - Paid 612k for a 92 and forced trade in the first round. Traded to Mills which was gold before he decided to watch a rugby game.

5. J.Clark - Was an ok enough starting pick in his own right averaging 71 over the first month and making 55k. However it was between him and Cumming as my mid priced defence selection. Was bullish on Cumming all pre season who turned out to be a season long keeper, Clark being 50k cheaper and with dpp convinced me in the end.

5 Best Trades
1. Bonsenavulagi ($215k) - Hall ($420k) Round 8 -
My man love for Hall went to a level i didn't know was possible, even as a North fan. Played every game and averaged 115.9, currently in version 1 of many of my 2022 side.

2. Powell ($376k) - T.Mitchell ($532k) Round 10 - Was a bit worried trading Titch in considering he had just scored a 76 and was only averaging 104 to that point. Only went below 110 once while in my side. Also got rid of Powell within 5k of his highest price for the year.

3. J.Clark ($294k) - Oliver ($592k) Round 6 - Traded Clark at his highest price and got Oliver in at almost his lowest price of the year who averaged about 128 while in my side.

4. Treacy ($257k) - Dangerfield ($495k) Round 16 - Dangerfield averaged 116.4 over 9 rounds in my side, got him back in at his lowest price for the year.

5. Gulden ($298k) - Walsh ($606) - Round 8 - Didn't get off to the best of starts especially since the other option was Bont who scored around 200 points more in the next five rounds than Walsh. Walsh averaged around 115 and ended up matching Bont over the course of the year.

5 Worst Trades
1. Dunkley ($634k) - Gawn ($757k) Round 7 -
Was 6 weeks of hell not having Gawn in my side seeing him average 140 and pumping out some massive captains scores. What better opportunity to get him than at 757k. Couldn't have asked for a better start with a 63 captains score right off the bat and then he proceeded to barely post a captain's worthy score while in my side while i wasted weeks of vice captaincys on him. His price drop was also fun to watch considering i had to take out a mortgage to afford him. Hard to really argue with the logic of getting him in at this stage but it's just comical how he managed to drop off the week i got him.

2. Flynn ($273k) - Bosenavulagi ($176k) Round 7 - Just when i thought my round 7 trades couldn't get worse i traded Fynn out 150k early and got a rookie in who made 40k. Don't know what i was thinking, probably something along the lines of ruin my year to get Gawn in so i can get some enjoyment from watching footy again.

3. Scott (102k) - Jordon (124k) Round 3 - Jordon was a great rookie and made more than Scott but i don't know what compelled me to trade out a playing rookie when i had a floating donut that could have been traded. Threw 150k of early season cash gen down the drain.

4. D.Martin ($446k) - Bolton ($421k) - It actually sickens me to write about this trade. Honestly one of the most pathetic 5 week patches i've had from a premium in the 10+ years i've played. Averaged 64.8 and i reckon i'd be hard pressed to find an option within 150k of the price i paid for Bolton who averaged worse over the run home.

5. Jordon ($366k) - Heeney ($347k) - Trade started well with Heeney getting 128 the first week he was in my side but then followed it up with a 55 and 42 before deciding to trade him out. Jordon averaged more over the 3 weeks and made more money. Waste of a trade.

Overall Thoughts
2nd worst overall rank i've had in the last seven years, the level of enjoyment i got from this season reflected that. Felt like i wasted one my best ever starts of being 330th after round 3 with some poorly thought out trades as well as bad decisions like which rookies to start on the field from that point on.

Strayed too much from my usual strategy of getting the best guys in each position which came back to hurt me missing out on players like Steele, Miller and Zorko all year which made any climb up the overall ladder almost impossible. Only spent 9 of the 23 weeks in the top 1k so didn't deserve any KFC socks or voucher. My cash leagues were a write off too, just managed to sneak into 8th spot in a couple of them the last round of the year but had a disastrous round 21 which knocked me out of the ones i was still in. Was top four in overall points in all five cash leagues going into finals but didn't have a double chance in any of them.

At the end of the day my overall rank isn't a complete failure but i always compare how i finish to my best seasons so i was quite far off the mark this year. Keen for next season already with more preseason research with my studies almost being done by the time it comes around, hopefully we can have a covid uninterrupted year.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to the site over the course of the year, so many people willing to take time out of their day to provide a well thought out response. Probably not the best season this forum has had in terms of sheer number of top ranked coaches but got no doubt we'll have a big off season review and see a few SCS coaches back in the top 10 as well as have some leagues return to the front page of the poorly thought out league ranking page which still groups 10 and 18 man leagues together.

AFL Club
Carlton

Overall rank - 42nd
Team value - $13,965,000

View attachment 33760
Did HS ring you today about winning some prizes? Apparently we get KFC vouchers and socks!