Discussion 2021: Strategy, Team & Player Discussions

AFL Club
Essendon
Max seperating himself from the pack now averaging 8 more points then Neale. He’s gonna be 50k more then everyone else 😅
I'm not sure you can start him and it work well in the long run, he'll be so ridiculously expensive and unlikely to hit the same average in 2021. I've started Max and Grundy the past two seasons, but don't think I will next year.

AFL Club
Collingwood
I think these would be positive changes. Imagine this season, had they forced us to pick one of TJL, Riewoldt, Hawkins, Cox, De Goey, Dixon, JJK, Darling, Cameron, for example, and you could only trade him out for another KPF. If they did it for KPDs as well, I think it would lead to more unique players in SC match-ups (always more interesting imo), and would also align with the situation at actual clubs, where a given club might have a gun KPF but a rubbish KPD.
I started TJL and still have him 😀 (also started Riewoldt over Brayshaw once I knew about his foot op, probably would have rage traded him after 3 games).

I think in the Prospectus Champion Data gives different position classifications so something like :-

2 key position forwards (& Defenders)
1 general forward (& Defender)
maybe even a winger or 2

would certainly change the "look" of the majority of teams and perhaps require a lot more research

still like the 1 ruck idea as well , but probably need to think more about how you would use the bench ruckman if your R1 is not playing , maybe a F/R classification as well but then would probably need at least 1-2 from each club for a larger selection pool which may not be viable.

given early doors it looks like Danger , Dunkley , Dusty , Fyfe , Sidey , Zorko etc might all be F eligible next season it will just be teams with 14 mids again next season.

AFL Club
Collingwood
Max seperating himself from the pack now averaging 8 more points then Neale. He’s gonna be 50k more then everyone else 😅
Currently have :-

Gawn 767,259.00
Grundy 654,858.00
Marshall 558,204.00

Think if Marshall is F/R makes it so much easier to start him & Gawn (let's be honest how often has Gawn dropped in price enough to try and get him in later).

Start Fyfe then once he gets his injury turn him into the second best ruckmen via DPP

AFL Club
Essendon

Gawn 767,259.00
Grundy 654,858.00
Marshall 558,204.00

Think if Marshall is F/R makes it so much easier to start him & Gawn (let's be honest how often has Gawn dropped in price enough to try and get him in later).

Start Fyfe then once he gets his injury turn him into the second best ruckmen via DPP
He will be more expensive than ever before though so it won’t be as hard for him to drop in price.

If he comes out scoring what he did in 2016-2019 he would drop in price next year

Bomber18

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Essendon

Gawn 767,259.00
Grundy 654,858.00
Marshall 558,204.00

If those are the prices 200k saving for an Marshall R/F is very tempting. Even more so if there is some sort of rookie R3 available

AFL Club
North Melb.
Early thoughts:
D: Laird is probably a pass unless it looks like he's playing mid again. Lloyd is probably worth picking, although Daniel, Ridley and Ryan are looking very solid as top 6 defenders.

M: Neale is probably overpriced. Macrae and Titch (with a pre season behind him) should average something similar. Oliver is somewhere in between, 50-50 I'd say. Will steer clear of Fyfe and Danger approaching the 30year mark. Cripps is a lock if back to full fitness.

R: Grundy and hopefully a Sydney or GWS new ruckman, or Marshall if DPP to move forward when Gawn comes in. Expecting Gawn to drop to around 125 as he's also approaching 30.

F: Who knows? Wait to see who's a MID/FOR, maybe Dusty and LDU

AFL Club
Collingwood
He will be more expensive than ever before though so it won’t be as hard for him to drop in price.

If he comes out scoring what he did in 2016-2019 he would drop in price next year
I am sure he will drop , so might be lucky and he falls to the $ 650-700k range , still a nightmare trying to work out how to get him in.

AFL Club
Collingwood
If those are the prices 200k saving for an Marshall R/F is very tempting. Even more so if there is some sort of rookie R3 available
Hopefully the General is fully fit by Round 1 and still F/R , should be under Ugle-Hagan's starting price.

Need to see what the Giants do with their Rucks , possibly Briggs or Flynn

Sydney need a R1

If SMartin retires do the Lions recruit a ruck to help Big O.

Hayes name has been mentioned in recent articles that clubs might offer $$$ at him.

Last edited:
AFL Club
Adelaide
The more I think about it, the less I care about breakout picks. Especially with a shorter preseason. Might let them figure themselves out.

We've seen intercept defenders players more TOG and get scaled more points, I think I might forget them as starting picks. I was keen on Luko as the talent is there but jeez he's been lazy the past two games.

The midfielders will be overpriced but I've come to the conclusion I dont care too much about paying overs. I pay for durability and guaranteed top 8.

Rucks are probably Gawndy, two fo the best of all time.

Forwards might need to figure themselves out. I dont care where Dunkley plays, if he's a fwd, he'll go in the midfield at some point and go 120+.

Def: Whitfield (full preseason this time), Lloyd, Laird
Mid: Neale, Macrae, Oliver
Rucks - Gawn, Grundy
Fwd - Dunkley, Marshall

Obviously things can change but I like these as the pillars for the team, and work out the rest. Will likely need to pay overs for rookies so might only have 12 starting premos instead of 13 which is what I am for.

Bomber18

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Essendon
Heppell could be worth some thought. Not THAT old yet and could be some value with a good preseason if he gets the full 30% discount and they use 89 rather than 94 (2019 avg) for calculating his price. I doubt he's back this season to mess up the averages but even if he is, probably could just make his price cheaper with scores under 90.

I have a potential starting price of around 340k (5450 x 89 x 0.7). With Heppell as my DP I may just need to start him at that price :p
Well Heppell finishes on a 66 avg now and will be 360k pre discount.

287k with a 20% discount
252k with a 30% discount

Bomber18

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Essendon
@Bomber18

His career SC record is actually better than I thought.

How much would he have to average though to make $ 150k + profit .

Lots of mouths to feed with Langford McGrath , Parish , Shiel , Smith , Stringer etc etc in that midfield now.
He’d get 85 without much trouble I would’ve thought if fit

Diabolical

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Essendon
@Bomber18

His career SC record is actually better than I thought.

How much would he have to average though to make $ 150k + profit .

Lots of mouths to feed with Langford McGrath , Parish , Shiel , Smith , Stringer etc etc in that midfield now.
If he stays on the park he will make $150k with ease. The question will be his body, which was good until last year.