Competitions 2021: SuperCoach Racing Classic - Rnd 8 Tables Updated.

AFL Club
Richmond
On the SC site, on the teams page there is an arrow on the top right, this will bring up a list of races for each game week, it mentions which classification each race is. See post 29 for an example. Unfortunately I'm not sure the races are shown in the right order for Sydney, it would be unusual to have all the G1 races first up.
So that means it is SC specific - and not a standard classification of the races ?
I am surprised I don't to gather the group in the Data I am scraping from Sportbet . will have to mix the sources. :/

AFL Club
Carlton
So that means it is SC specific - and not a standard classification of the races ?
I am surprised I don't to gather the group in the Data I am scraping from Sportbet . will have to mix the sources. :/
@Ironhawk is correct, in the teams page, click the arrow on the right. All Melbourne and Sydney races are listed over the 8 week carnival with the classifications. These are standard, SC is only using these classifications due to the high quality horses running during the spring carnival and are NOT SC specific.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
@Ironhawk is correct, in the teams page, click the arrow on the right. All Melbourne and Sydney races are listed over the 8 week carnival with the classifications. These are standard, SC is only using these classifications due to the high quality horses running during the spring carnival and are NOT SC specific.
Thanks, I knew someone who follows the racing much more than me could provide a better answer.

Rowsus

Statistician
AFL Club
Melbourne
Just a couple of posts to whet the appetite, and possibly help the newcomers how to go about it.

First here are 2 tables based on 4 of the Round 1 races. These are just the Group 1 races, and are based on the pre-nomiation, all in betting. For those non-racing people, it largely means come time to pick your team, these tables are pretty much worthless. They are more here as a tool to demonstrate some of my points, and for some of the horses to be in the back of your mind.

Here are the projected top 10 point scorers:
SCS2020ASPre1.png

Russian Camelot is in red, as it very, very unlikely he will be racing this Saturday. With your starting budget of just $2,000,000 you can see how hard it is to fill a stable! Only 3 horses in this table are under your average cost needed of $200,000/horse!
SFG1 = Sydney Flight Stakes Group 1
SMGI = Sydney Metropolitan H'cap Group 1
MTG1 = Melbourne Turnbull Stakes Group 1
No horses from the Epsom H'cap Group 1 made either table.

Here are the projected best 10 value horses:
SCS2020ASPre3.png

You actually still can't afford all of these horses, as the total cost is $2,225,000.
A quick glance shows you that the top 6 all come from the Flight Stakes, and the other 4 all come from the Metropolitan H'cap.
More on this in the next post.

Rowsus

Statistician
AFL Club
Melbourne
Lessons for newcomers, and a friendly reminder to last years participants.

Group 1 and Group 2 races are the key to success. A horse running 4th in a Group 1 will score you as many points as the winner in a Listed Race or lower. Unless it is for budget sake, don't be a hero, and try to jag the winner of some minor race because it is a $1.50 favourite. The best you can do is 18 points, where as if you can get say your $12 chance in a Group 1 in to the first 4 runners, you are equal, or even miles ahead. Even if you run 5th, you are looking at 14 points, against a max of 18 points.

Like in AFL SC, getting the right Captain is key. But there are no loopholes to be played here, your team locks out at the start of the first race. You still need to be careful, and not just plonk for a $500,000 horse that is $3 fav, and say, "That's my Captain sorted". That's a road map to ruination! Yes, be prepared to spend a little extra for your Captain, if and when it is necessary! Quite often you might find a short priced horse amongst the 3yo Gp1 races, and only have to spend say $200,000 on your Captain.

The 3 year old races are the key to filling your team. The Flight Stakes in the table above is a 3yo race, and you can see, all the value is there. You may need to pick as many as 4 to 6 3yo's just to fill your stable, otherwise you won't have the cash to pick the horses you want in the other Gp1 races. This also has been made around $50,000 harder this season, as you have to pick an 11th horse to sit on the bench, to cover you for late scratchings. Try and keep this horse as cheap as possible! Your stable should hopefully be growing in value each week. A win in a Gp1 adds $50,000 to your stable value, while 2nd a Gp1, or a win in a Gp2 or Gp3 adds $25,000. But be wary, the opposite applies too. Last in a Gp1, and you lose $50,000. 2nd last in a Gp1, or last in a Gp2 or Gp3, and you lose $25,000. Hopefully come round 4 or 5 your stable is worth around $2,400,000 and choosing your team becomes a lot easier!
The 3yo races in Round 1 are:
Sydney Gp1 Flight Stakes
Melb Gp2 Edward Manifold Stakes
There are 2 other 3yo races in Melb, but they are only Listed level (the lowest) and should be avoided.

It may be necessary to take 1 or 2 horses in the 2yo races, as sometimes they are the best cheap options. Just keep in mind that they may be lower than Gp2 level, so you are racing for less points. This Saturday Sydney has 2 x Gp 3 2 year old races. If you pick horses in those races you are racing for a max of 24 points, instead of a max of 40. Also, last season, some of the 2yo's were surprisingly expensive.

I will try and have my tables up Thursday morning, or Thursday night. It's a good idea to pick your Captain first, with an eye on not spending too much. Then pick a $50,000 option to be your bench horse. After that look at the 3yo races, and use as many of those as you feel necessary. It's better to overfill your team with the cheap 3yo's, then take them out, and replace them with older, more expensive horses, than to try and do it the other way around! Believe me, if you have spent too much, it can be a really tough decision which of your $350,000 horses you need to drop. You are better to be squeezing those in, if you have the dollars left over!

How many is too many horses in the one race?
That's a really good question, and it can be tough to answer. A race like the Epsom may have 18 runners, and the favourite might be as wide as $5 or $6. In a situation like that, I'd limit myself to 1 horse, and only add a 2nd horse if you had a really strong opinion that those 2 horses "were it" in that race. Then you might get a situation where there only say 7 runners in a Gp1 3yo race. This happens more than you might think, and could happen in the Flight Stakes this week. If there are only 7 runners in a Gp1 race, the horse that runs last still gets 10 points! In this situation, it can be advantageous to try and fit 3 or 4 of those cheap 3yo's into your team. If your horse runs 8th to 18th in the Epsom, you will end up with a lot less points, than running last in that 7 horse race!

You can of course, try and "catch the greasy pig", but I would generally advise against it. By this I mean you are trying to get the absolute max points possible, by picking the winner of the 4 Group 1 races, then trying to get your other 6 picks to win one of the 4 Group 2 races, or run 2nd in those 4 Group 1 races. This would get you 4 x 40 + 6 x 32 = 352 points + Jockey and Captain points. You might conceivably score 398 points, if you are very good, or very lucky. Generally the weekly winner might come from people attempting this sort of thing, but long term, they will have more bad Rounds than good, and won't rank highly by seasons end. Play a smart, balanced game trying to get say 250 points on the "easy" Rounds, and 220 points in the tough Rounds. That sort of approach, rather than trying to pick every winner, will return better results over the course of the season.

If you have any questions, then don't be afraid to ask, and have fun!

AFL Club
Sydney
Really nice summary @Rowsus. Perhaps you could add something about the basis for your thoughts on picking a jockey each week?

Overall it's a really enjoyable, albeit addictive, comp. SCS people in this comp are good at sharing. If someone has "inside info" from betting trends (e.g., Kinane in the last comp) or directly from a stable, they are pretty forthcoming, albeit it might be near to shutout. Keep referring to this thread and don't be afraid to ask questions.

AFL Club
Collingwood
Hey all
Just joined up to league and forum. Have lurked around for years in all SC related threads here. Played in your league last year (think stable name was TROT ON) and am going hard this year. Being a VIC, not much else to do.

Shout out to @Rowsus

Due to your raving tables, I have joined up and am hoping to add in some sneaky bits of information. Tofane as C from the last SC Racing was a highlight (This unfortunately was not my team but was my partners) 🙄

Stable name = Get there

AFL Club
Essendon
Looking forward to having a crack at Racing SC for the first time this year.

Came across this forum late in the AFL season after having a look at the league rankings.

Some very impressive content on here and looking forward to @Rowsus previews.

Got one question for those that have played before but do we get horse ownership figures and projections through SC Plus like we do in AFL?

Cheers

Rowsus

Statistician
AFL Club
Melbourne
Looking forward to having a crack at Racing SC for the first time this year.

Came across this forum late in the AFL season after having a look at the league rankings.

Some very impressive content on here and looking forward to @Rowsus previews.

Got one question for those that have played before but do we get horse ownership figures and projections through SC Plus like we do in AFL?

Cheers
The ownership figures are available without the SC plus, I'm not sure they give projections, though.
It's a pretty hard thing to project!
You will find tables here that give you a pretty good idea of projections. They should be up by late Thurs night.
Welcome aboard, and good luck!

AFL Club
Collingwood
Still waiting for horses to be added. Enthaar favourite for a G3 and not available for stable selection. Just an example. Will not be in my stable.

Only 50K horse Selfless. $27 does not inspire me.

Only seven horses in 3yo fillies race. Don't want to come last. Lose 50K in that case.

J Mac has 9 rides. What could possibly go wrong. 🤪

Rowsus

Statistician
AFL Club
Melbourne
We might need to take at least 4, and possibly 5 horses in the Flight Stakes. It's also possible that we may have to slip one of the 2 year olds in, if they are cheap enough. If we don't do those things we are cornered into taking donkeys in low scoring races.
Unfortunately, it means 60-70% of (competitive) teams will likely have 6 to 8 of the 11 active selections in common! With so few cheap horses available in the Gp1 and Gp2 races it is inevitable. Don't be tricked into taking a short priced cheapie in a low scoring race. You are probably better to have 5 horses in the Flight Stakes, than a cheap low scorer.
Pending the cost of the 2yo's I will be having at least 4 from the Flight Stakes.
Also keep in mind, if you are going to the 2yo races to save money, that there are certain stables that really dominate the early 2 races! Try and limit your picks to those stables: ie. Waterhouse, Maher, Hayes/Dabernig.

AFL Club
GWS Giants
For those looking to dip their toe in this week, here is a quick outline of the horses I believe to be over the odds this week:

Syd R2 - 7 Djukon $13/$3.60 - 3rd up over 2400m. Record 3rd up and beyond 3-2-1-0. Record 2200m and beyond 3-2-1-0.
Crushed right into $6.50/$2.80. An $0.08 deduction reduced the place collect to $3.21 (y)

Syd R7 - 2 King's Legacy $17/$3.40 - 2nd up over 1400m Record 2nd up 2-2-0-0, Record 2nd up and beyond 4-3-0-0. Record in races longer than 1200m 2-2-0-0.
Ran home nicely into 3rd.(y)

Syd R8 - 3 Positive Peace $15/$4.40 - 2nd up over 1400m. Career record 19-8-4-0. Remove all 1st up runs, and all heavy track runs, and her record is 9-6-3-0!!!
Beaten a lip in 4th place. Desperately unlucky, should have run a clear 2nd!:cry:

Others in Syd overs R6 - 2 Niccanova $16/$4.60 and R9 - 4 Trevelyan $46/$9.00
Niccanova 5th, <1L from 3rd. Trevelyan never looked a hope.

And some REAL roughies in Melbourne

In R8, No.1 Gailo Chop and 3 Trump For Fools are both currently listed at $101/$16.
There is no pace in the race, other than these 2 horses, who should settle 1st and 2nd. If they are allowed to run cheap sectionals early on, they will be very hard to run past, especially if the track is favouring leaders, which it quite often is at Caulfield!

They ran 4th and 5th, which is a good effort roughies. The First 4 paid $455(y) with the $1.50 fave winning, and the 2nd and 3rd favs running 2nd and 3rd!!!!

In R9, No.3 Furrion $41/$11.00 is unbeaten from 3 starts at the distance (1700m) is 3-1-2-0 at Caulfield, Has a career 14-7-2-1 record, and has started shorter odds in better races than this. He is 4-3-1-0 on slow tracks, and rain is predicted between now and then. Just definitely seems overs!
Backed into as short as $17 at one stage, before easing to $31. Didn't do enough. Needs longer.
Just joined the league and feeling great to be back again. Never heard of horse racing before last year and by the second season I'd already finished in the top 1000. I would like to improve and stuff like this by Rowsus will help. I'd really love if everyone from SCS posts some tips and ideas no matter how small or big. If we all put our heads together we can do something special.

AFL Club
GWS Giants
AFL Club
Collingwood
Just joined the league and feeling great to be back again. Never heard of horse racing before last year and by the second season I'd already finished in the top 1000. I would like to improve and stuff like this by Rowsus will help. I'd really love if everyone from SCS posts some tips and ideas no matter how small or big. If we all put our heads together we can do something special.
My smokey
Queen of Rocks
Liked its race at Caulfield last start. Ran on well against males. This week at Flem with the longer straight and against fillies, I like it loads.

Fingers crossed.

AFL Club
Brisbane
We might need to take at least 4, and possibly 5 horses in the Flight Stakes. It's also possible that we may have to slip one of the 2 year olds in, if they are cheap enough. If we don't do those things we are cornered into taking donkeys in low scoring races.
Unfortunately, it means 60-70% of (competitive) teams will likely have 6 to 8 of the 11 active selections in common! With so few cheap horses available in the Gp1 and Gp2 races it is inevitable. Don't be tricked into taking a short priced cheapie in a low scoring race. You are probably better to have 5 horses in the Flight Stakes, than a cheap low scorer.
Pending the cost of the 2yo's I will be having at least 4 from the Flight Stakes.
Also keep in mind, if you are going to the 2yo races to save money, that there are certain stables that really dominate the early 2 races! Try and limit your picks to those stables: ie. Waterhouse, Maher, Hayes/Dabernig.
Thanks, and am looking forward to the charts.

This is my first time at SCRacing, is this kind of the idea you've been talking about?
300k left ITB

_20200930_182838.JPG

Alighted is G1, I could remove it and put in G3 Enthaar, it would still leave $275k. 🤔

Last edited: