Competitions 2021: SuperCoach Racing Classic - Rnd 8 Tables Updated.

AFL Club
Collingwood
WE have a dead heat to the 'InterChange SuperCoach Racing Competition':
CONGRATULATIONS to Elvestroem and Hoof Hearted!

CONGRATULATIONS to the most consistent top scorer in each round, Pay the Mark!

Also, we have a dead heat for the 'Country Cup':
CONGRATULATIONS to The House Party and On The Trot!

1636186076405.png

Last edited:
AFL Club
North Melb.
Scored 212 in probably the toughest round for the comp so can’t be unhappy with that.

> 3rd for the SCS league for the round
> 2nd for SCS league overall (congrats @Diabolical)
> Won first 4 category in interchange comp (clearly the Cox Plate of that comp) and 3rd in the group 2 category.
> Hope to improve on my current overall rank of 265.

Pretty respectable at my first attempt given I know nothing about horse racing. Certainly if I had this result in a AFL or BBL SC comp I would be rapt.

Special thanks to @Rowsus and his tables as I would have had no clue without them, particularly early. I took a highly statistical approach to this comp using a linear programming model to pick my team each week. Having said that the salary cap was not a factor in picking my teams until today so have some ideas for the future now.

AFL Club
Brisbane
INTERIM (I'm assuming that the scores won't change, if they do, I'll update):

WE have a dead heat to the 'InterChange SuperCoach Racing Competition':
CONGRATULATIONS to Elvestroem and Hoof Hearted!

CONGRATULATIONS to the most consistent top scorer in each round, Pay the Mark!

Also, we have a dead heat for the 'Country Cup':
CONGRATULATIONS to The House Party and On The Trot!

View attachment 35522
Woohoo! Top 10 from just sneaking in.

I must say, I do like SCRacing, lots of fun.

Thanks to @Bermi, @Rowsus and @Beg2Differ for the tables etc.

Congrats to all.
BBLSC here we come!

Screenshot_20211106_204621.jpg

Last edited:

Rowsus

Statistician
AFL Club
Melbourne
Thanks, @Bermi, your interchange comp added some good interest for the season, for those of us not doing that well!

Well done @Diabolical for topping the league.

Well done @Beg2Differ for a great debut.

The standard of the comp was much higher this season. We usually have quite a few in the top 1,000, but nowhere near as many this year.

AFL Club
North Melb.
A couple of observation on this format before we consign it to history.
  • The whole jockey selection part feels like a bit of a waste. They can’t really score enough points to make that decision that important and obviously the salary cap is not a factor either.
  • Having played the whole comp now I would still query why all races aren’t worth the same amount of points. To me it just means the majority of selections come from a very limited pool of horses in a very limited number of races. Maybe that is the point so selections are simplified for the casual player and scores stay within a relatively narrow range, but I would think that more diverse stables would make it more interesting (could be wrong).
  • The pricing of horses doesn’t seem to make a lot of sense. Surely the favoured horses each round should be more expensive but that didn’t really seemed to be the case most of the time. I acknowledge the difficulty here with the traditional fantasy pricing approach but given each week is a separate entity in this comp maybe the horse values could be a function of the odds at a designated of point prior to race day.
  • The inability to select a vice captain seems like a glaring oversight given the potential for a selected captain to be scratched after lockout.

Diabolical

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Essendon
A couple of observation on this format before we consign it to history.
  • The whole jockey selection part feels like a bit of a waste. They can’t really score enough points to make that decision that important and obviously the salary cap is not a factor either.
  • Having played the whole comp now I would still query why all races aren’t worth the same amount of points. To me it just means the majority of selections come from a very limited pool of horses in a very limited number of races. Maybe that is the point so selections are simplified for the casual player and scores stay within a relatively narrow range, but I would think that more diverse stables would make it more interesting (could be wrong).
  • The pricing of horses doesn’t seem to make a lot of sense. Surely the favoured horses each round should be more expensive but that didn’t really seemed to be the case most of the time. I acknowledge the difficulty here with the traditional fantasy pricing approach but given each week is a separate entity in this comp maybe the horse values could be a function of the odds at a designated of point prior to race day.
  • The inability to select a vice captain seems like a glaring oversight given the potential for a selected captain to be scratched after lockout.
I agree regarding your jockey thoughts as I think I went JMac most rounds. Putting a price on jockeys would create more of a divergence, however they need more points allocated. Maybe allocating the 3, 2, 1 value but having greater value for each of the G3, G2 and G1 races could do this?

This year was an abnormality. I think there were only two or three rounds where I couldn’t afford the top projected scorers. Past years we have been forced to field more horses in the listed races. I am not sure if the change to allow our worst score drop out caused this?

Maybe a greater price reward / penalty depending on the Group level could address this? I guess it is hard when many horses don’t race every week. I like your suggestion about linking prices to odds, but I’m not so sure how easy that would be to implement given fields aren’t necessarily finalised when lockout is lifted.

Can’t agree more on your VC comment!!!!

AFL Club
Hawthorn
This year was an abnormality. I think there were only two or three rounds where I couldn’t afford the top projected scorers. Past years we have been forced to field more horses in the listed races. I am not sure if the change to allow our worst score drop out caused this?
Just looking back at last year the starting salary was $2M and you had to select 11 horses rather than 8. Much more generous cap this year if you include a $50K cheap selection.

Rowsus

Statistician
AFL Club
Melbourne
Can't believe it's been 7 months since it finished :eek:

Anyway Nature Strip is favourite for the 15.40 Royal Ascot today {0.40 AEST Wednesday)
Looks a match on paper with Golden Psl.
Not sure Nature Strip gets his preferred map in this race. He absolutely Bullies them, when unchallenged in the lead, but "sooks" if pressured too much. Can't see him leading unchallenged in this, so I'll be looking to back something else.