Position 2022: Defender Discussion

KLo30

Leadership Group
AFL Club
North Melb.
ROOKIE WATCH

KFC SuperCoach 2022: The Phantom’s early rookie bible

Will Gould (Syd) $123,900
Surely this is the young Swan’s year. Surely. We’ve been talking about Gould ever since he starred at SANFL level in his draft year, but, mainly due to concerns over his fitness, he failed to make a senior appearance in his first two years at the club. It won’t be easy breaking in, but with Braeden Campbell and Justin McInerney a chance to be used further up the ground to help fill the Jordan Dawson void, Gould, who averaged 83 points in the VFL last season, is in the mix. You’ve heard that before, I know, but ‘new year, new me’ and all that.

Charlie Dean (Coll) $102,400
A mature-age intercept defender, who won the Fothergill-Round-Mitchell Medal as the VFL’s best young player? Yes, please. And, no, I’m not talking about KFC SuperCoach star Luke Ryan, who did just that in 2016. The ready-made Dean averaged eight intercepts and 85 KFC SuperCoach points per game for Williamstown, and made it all the way through to Collingwood in the rookie draft, meaning a basement price tag in 2022.

Garrett McDonagh (Ess) $117,300
Like Dean, McDonagh is another mature-age draftee to keep an eye on over summer, because you don’t pick 25-year-old’s from the VFL to develop them. And Bombers list boss, Adrian Dodoro, confirmed just that post-draft, declaring the long-kicking defender “could possible play very early on in the piece”. McDonagh, a terrific runner who is a great ball user by foot, averaged 21 disposals, five intercepts, five rebound-50s and 84 KFC SuperCoach points in the VFL last season.

Sam Skinner $123,900 (Port), Fwd
Sticking with the mature-age theme, the former Lion is another who could have an impact in KFC SuperCoach in 2022. Skinner was signed by the Power as a delisted free agent after a switch to defence saw him dominate the back-half of the SANFL season for South Adelaide. After shifting back, Skinner, who played three games in five injury-ravaged seasons at Brisbane, averaged 19 disposals, 11 intercepts – seven of them marks – and 113 KFC SuperCoach points between Rounds 16 and 21. The 24-year-old took a remarkable 41 intercept marks in the final seven matches for the year, patrolling the air for the Panthers in a similar way Tom Highmore did before he was drafted. Another who is ready to step in, if Port Adelaide needs.

Bodhi Uwland (GC) $102,400, Mid
There’s been little talk about Uwland, who was pre-listed by Gold Coast under the club’s draft concessions. But he’s a competitive beast who is ready to go after mixing it with the bigger bodies at VFL and QAFL level in 2021. Uwland averaged 63 points in six VFL matches, with his 19-disposal, 10-intercept, 112-point performance against Sydney the highlight. And the teenager also posted KFC SuperCoaches scores of 151 and 120 in his two NAB League appearances. The make-up of the Suns’ 22 will be interesting, but he’s one to keep on the radar.

Last edited:
AFL Club
West Coast
Are most thinking Whifield is a lock at his starting price of 502K?

He does seem underpriced but his injury history/ amount of games missed each year is a real concern :-

Screen Shot 2022-01-13 at 3.04.51 pm.png

Really tempted by Sicily at 448K, but again injury history a worry :-

Screen Shot 2022-01-13 at 3.05.29 pm.png

Not sure you can take both/ maybe only take the risk on 1 is the wisest move.

AFL Club
Richmond

He does seem underpriced but his injury history/ amount of games missed each year is a real concern :-

View attachment 38081

View attachment 38082

Not sure you can take both/ maybe only take the risk on 1 is the wisest move.[/QUOTE
Whitfield is differently the better option. Higher ceiling. If they throw Sicily forward here and there his scoring will plummet.

AFL Club
Essendon

View attachment 38081

View attachment 38082

I'm not convinced that Sicily is injury prone, he broke his wrist in 2018 (not a matter of injury proneness) and then did an ACL in 2020, I think the risk lies in him getting back from the ACL and not reinjuring himself or having a flare up on his knee. He doesn't have a history of soft tissue injury or repeated injuries to one area of the body.

Whitifield is definitely fragile but is the ultimate risk vs reward kind of pick. He was coming back from a nasty liver injury which probably didn't allow him to play at 100% during the year. I think at such a cheap price he's a lock in my side.

I definitely see an injury risk in Whitfield but I only see one with Sicily as it relates to him coming back from the ACL.

AFL Club
Richmond
I'm not convinced that Sicily is injury prone, he broke his wrist in 2018 (not a matter of injury proneness) and then did an ACL in 2020, I think the risk lies in him getting back from the ACL and not reinjuring himself or having a flare up on his knee. He doesn't have a history of soft tissue injury or repeated injuries to one area of the body.

Whitifield is definitely fragile but is the ultimate risk vs reward kind of pick. He was coming back from a nasty liver injury which probably didn't allow him to play at 100% during the year. I think at such a cheap price he's a lock in my side.

I definitely see an injury risk in Whitfield but I only see one with Sicily as it relates to him coming back from the ACL.
Have you got both in your side currently?

Darkie

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Collingwood

View attachment 38081

View attachment 38082

I don’t see Whitfield as a lock, but he is attractive at his price.

I currently have both he and Sicily. Lloyd, Short and Ridley all have better durability to complement them.

Five premium defenders seems a bit unbalanced unless the rookies really dictate that, so I’ve considered starting Whitfield in the midfield.

AFL Club
West Coast
I currently have both but I wouldn't say Sicily is locked at the minute. Despite being at such a cheap price the return from the acl and the confusing nature of Hawthorn's back line has me a little uncertain.
Here is some info I have found re Sicily/ hawks backline :-

James Sicily is ready to go for the 2022 season, having ruptured his ACL in 2020 he missed the entire 2021 season.

Speaking on Monday he was pleased that the work he has put in has him prepared for the upcoming year.

“It’s going well, got a good block of training in pre-Christmas & then was able to do a little bit in the break”

“I’ve done a lot of training, I’ve sort of done a pre-season while the boys were playing (last year).”

“The last 6 months of my rehab were pretty hard, held me in good stead for this pre-season.”

Hawthorn senior coach Sam Mitchell said Sicily was “ready to go” in December, he added comments on his role for the 2022 season.

“We haven’t got too much into that detail at this stage, but I certainly see him as a defender at the moment.” Mitchell said.

A year away from football due to an injury, James Sicily could help make a “three steps forward” in 2022, according to Hawks’ new coach Sam Mitchell, who praised the defender’s improvements.

Sicily was ruined by a knee injury and subsequent surgery throughout the 2021 campaign, but Mitchell could inadvertently help Sicily, who is likely to join the Captain Mix in the New Year.

“He has a great presence on the track. If we were playing now, he would be able to play,” Mitchell said.

“We’re not so rushed to get him to do everything, but surely he’s ready to go. Even at the end of training, everyone is tired and tired, he just understands.If he keeps missing certain types of kicks, and he asks: “Why am I missing it, how can I improve it?”
“The spirit he has to get the most out of himself is a real step forward.”

Sicily, which can be overly emotional in the field, strengthens its well-held defenses last season. Opponents scored only 42% of the time they were in the top 50 in a year when the Hawks had problems scoring with a stop (ranked 17th by the difference in points in the area). ..

“Looking at the last 12 months, he [Sicily] I spent a lot of time with Chris Newman, especially our defensive coach. Hopefully, one step back from missing the season and taking three steps forward is to get out of this year’s “Sis,” Mitchell said.

AFL Club
Essendon
Here is some info I have found re Sicily/ hawks backline :-

James Sicily is ready to go for the 2022 season, having ruptured his ACL in 2020 he missed the entire 2021 season.

Speaking on Monday he was pleased that the work he has put in has him prepared for the upcoming year.

“It’s going well, got a good block of training in pre-Christmas & then was able to do a little bit in the break”

“I’ve done a lot of training, I’ve sort of done a pre-season while the boys were playing (last year).”

“The last 6 months of my rehab were pretty hard, held me in good stead for this pre-season.”

Hawthorn senior coach Sam Mitchell said Sicily was “ready to go” in December, he added comments on his role for the 2022 season.

“We haven’t got too much into that detail at this stage, but I certainly see him as a defender at the moment.” Mitchell said.

A year away from football due to an injury, James Sicily could help make a “three steps forward” in 2022, according to Hawks’ new coach Sam Mitchell, who praised the defender’s improvements.

Sicily was ruined by a knee injury and subsequent surgery throughout the 2021 campaign, but Mitchell could inadvertently help Sicily, who is likely to join the Captain Mix in the New Year.

“He has a great presence on the track. If we were playing now, he would be able to play,” Mitchell said.

“We’re not so rushed to get him to do everything, but surely he’s ready to go. Even at the end of training, everyone is tired and tired, he just understands.If he keeps missing certain types of kicks, and he asks: “Why am I missing it, how can I improve it?”
“The spirit he has to get the most out of himself is a real step forward.”

Sicily, which can be overly emotional in the field, strengthens its well-held defenses last season. Opponents scored only 42% of the time they were in the top 50 in a year when the Hawks had problems scoring with a stop (ranked 17th by the difference in points in the area). ..

“Looking at the last 12 months, he [Sicily] I spent a lot of time with Chris Newman, especially our defensive coach. Hopefully, one step back from missing the season and taking three steps forward is to get out of this year’s “Sis,” Mitchell said.
I think there's just so many outlets off half back and Jiath did very well playing loose in defence, so I'm not sure if Sicily has a clear path to scoring as well as he has in the past. A lot to play out and some good signs in preseason will probably see me select him

AFL Club
Bulldogs
Last edited:
AFL Club
Collingwood
In the 'TOP 40 DEFENDERS' above, ESS's 2022 Captain, Heppell, ranked 8th last year after coming back, from a year off, with a broken foot.
He didn't have a high ceiling, but his floor is pretty good, 80 his lowest score. He plays a half back role, which is good for SC scoring and he is having a good preseason. Looks to be a good Keeper selection in defence :unsure:.

Darkie

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Collingwood
In the 'TOP 40 DEFENDERS' above, ESS's 2022 Captain, Heppell, ranked 8th last year after coming back, from a year off, with a broken foot.
He didn't have a high ceiling, but his floor is pretty good, 80 his lowest score. He plays a half back role, which is good for SC scoring and he is having a good preseason. Looks to be a good Keeper selection in defence :unsure:.
I agree. He feels like the sort of player you could build a premiership team around.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
I agree. He feels like the sort of player you could build a premiership team around.
One problem. You need to be able to win a final before you can win a premiership. :ROFLMAO:

I hate to say it, but I think the Bombers may finally manage that first part this year, but I'd still be one enjoying it if the streak continues.

Edit: Searching for "How many days since", the first suggestion you get is "How many days since Essendon won a final". I tried this on my work phone, where I don't look at anything sport related and got the same result. Must be a lot of people wanting to know. :ROFLMAO: I was just interested to know if Heppell had played in a winning final, was fairly sure he hadn't.

Last edited:
AFL Club
Geelong
Defence rookies really worry me, all weve really got is key/intercept defenders and they dont have a good history of scoring well at AFL level, good chsnce this ends up the line we have to stack IMHO.