Position 2022: Defender Discussion

AFL Club
Richmond
Docherty V Lloyd?

Everyone dead set on Docherty?
Highest ranked defender v's 39th ranked defender ( probably not fair having missed a game, but ranked 22nd on ave.)

Really depends on whether it's your last def upgrade, who the rest of the def are and how you spend the 75k in price difference.

Darkie

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Collingwood
Docherty V Lloyd?

Everyone dead set on Docherty?
Possibly biased as a keeper league Doc owner, but I am mindful that Carlton seem to be accumulating a lot of disposals. Unless you have a fitness concern, I don’t see a lot of headwinds for Doc.

Lloyd is SC royalty and the type I would be piling into in years gone by, but I’ve seen a few comments that make me wonder if he’ll get back to that level. His ceiling this season has also been pretty low (his second highest score is 105 … the sixth best defender is averaging 112) and his floor seems to have reduced as well (three scores 84 or below). Personally I’d want to see at least one more really good score (115+), or an identifiable role change, to feel confident. Even if you waited for a month of 110 type scores, he’d only be c. 50k dearer. If not for the urgency of upgrade season, I think that would be a modest price to pay for the extra information/reduced risk.

AFL Club
Collingwood
I heard a comment yesterday about McCartin “freeing up” Rampe from having to play taller than he is. It doesn’t seem to have helped him in SC terms.
Good information.

Massive drop off , last 8 seasons all 76+ including 2 over 90+.

Might track him and see if his scores improve at all

lappinitup

2006 AFL SuperCoach Winner
AFL Club
Carlton
Possibly biased as a keeper league Doc owner, but I am mindful that Carlton seem to be accumulating a lot of disposals. Unless you have a fitness concern, I don’t see a lot of headwinds for Doc.

Lloyd is SC royalty and the type I would be piling into in years gone by, but I’ve seen a few comments that make me wonder if he’ll get back to that level. His ceiling this season has also been pretty low (his second highest score is 105 … the sixth best defender is averaging 112) and his floor seems to have reduced as well (three scores 84 or below). Personally I’d want to see at least one more really good score (115+), or an identifiable role change, to feel confident. Even if you waited for a month of 110 type scores, he’d only be c. 50k dearer. If not for the urgency of upgrade season, I think that would be a modest price to pay for the extra information/reduced risk.
I had tired to convince myself on going Lloyd as a POD, however the failed Tom Mitchell experiment few weeks ago has me coming back to Doch.

Doch is also often down the chain in defensive forwards plans, many would rather stop the run and carry of Saad and Williams to the marking and kicking of Doch. So it really does become a fitness issue! If Plowman does come back in, think that only helps free up Docherty as he really is in the team for lockdown only as opposed to a Newman type who uses the ball.

AFL Club
Essendon
I had tired to convince myself on going Lloyd as a POD, however the failed Tom Mitchell experiment few weeks ago has me coming back to Doch.
Seem to have dodged a bullet there. Even against the worst performance you could imagine, he only junked it up to 98. I guess the ball didn't get down there that much, but when it did he's not not the single go to man anymore for Sydney.

AFL Club
Collingwood
None of the top 5 in my team, no wonder my team sucks :sick:
Makes not starting both Sicily & Hewett probably 2 of the most dumbest moves I have ever done in SC , rate Sicily but read too much on here preseason that he wouldn't be a Top 10 defender.

Certainly didn't expect Hewett to be suddenly averaging 30-40 PPG better than he ever has even with a different role , oh well it is what it is

Have Short , will add Doc then see what else I can do with Blakey , Rioli , Ryan & Zorko.

Need to add English , Merrett and find another premium mid first.

AFL Club
Carlton
Makes not starting both Sicily & Hewett probably 2 of the most dumbest moves I have ever done in SC , rate Sicily but read too much on here preseason that he wouldn't be a Top 10 defender.

Certainly didn't expect Hewett to be suddenly averaging 30-40 PPG better than he ever has even with a different role , oh well it is what it is

Have Short , will add Doc then see what else I can do with Blakey , Rioli , Ryan & Zorko.

Need to add English , Merrett and find another premium mid first.
Yep, make or break decisions them.
If I started Sicily over Whitfield, pretty sure I would be slightly higher up there in rankings.

AFL Club
Bulldogs
Comparative Pricing Tables - Defenders

Out of interest, I have run off two tables comparing the 20 highest priced defenders at the start of the season against the current top 20 on price.
I hope most of it is self-explanatory but these notes should help.
Notes 1 column

An XX indicates that the player is no longer in the top 20 (not in the 2nd table)
An A indicates that the player has been added as a defender via a mid-season DPP allocation.
(Blank or just A indicates the player is somewhere in the 2nd table)
Notes 2 column
Blank indicates the player was not in the original top 20 list
Otherwise for players in both lists there will be a notation xx -> yy showing the from & to rankings
Screenshot 11.JPG

I have run off something similar for the other positions and this is probably the most stable group as 11 players have held their ground.
Just the same 3 of the current top 5 have come from lower initial rankings.
Personally, I don't see too many surprises in the current list - but the one who completely snuck under my guard was Sinclair and starting at around $470K he was just the kind of player in that I tend to target.
That Sicily is in the top 20 isn't too surprising I guess , but that as a true KPP its remarkable that he is on top and - at present - the 3rd highest priced player in the whole of SC.

Last edited: