2022: AFL SC Player Discussions

AFL Club
North Melb.
Would like to hope those responsible for running the game consider the implications of Covid before the season starts rather than making decisions up on the fly. An extended squad of 33 with an extra bench position in the DEF, MID and FWD lines and a starting salary cap of $10.5m could be a season long solution rather than cutting back numbers to 18 whenever games are cancelled. Get ahead of the curve and be proactive rather than wait for it to occur which it inevitably will.

AFL Club
Richmond
Would like to hope those responsible for running the game consider the implications of Covid before the season starts rather than making decisions up on the fly. An extended squad of 33 with an extra bench position in the DEF, MID and FWD lines and a starting salary cap of $10.5m could be a season long solution rather than cutting back numbers to 18 whenever games are cancelled. Get ahead of the curve and be proactive rather than wait for it to occur which it inevitably will.
Couldn’t agree more mate

AFL Club
Essendon
I would give this post 50 likes if I could. BUT you just know that the muppets that run the game won’t do it.
Excuses such as “we just can’t plan for every scenario” and “codes changes will take too long and cost too much”, are just some of the excuses that would be communicated.
Haven’t bloody introduced a new innovation to the game in years.
Rant over.

AFL Club
North Melb.
I would give this post 50 likes if I could. BUT you just know that the muppets that run the game won’t do it.
Excuses such as “we just can’t plan for every scenario” and “codes changes will take too long and cost too much”, are just some of the excuses that would be communicated.
Haven’t bloody introduced a new innovation to the game in years.
Rant over.
They'll put in the too hard basket for sure

AFL Club
West Coast
These are excellent suggestions (y)

Could someone tweet Tim Mitchell/Al Paton maybe @Professor ? with these ideas to pass on.

Darkie

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Collingwood
I totally agree that they should be proactive about this.

It would also make their lives easier - I’m sure that having to make decisions at short notice, and then having people complain about them, is not great for the organizers either!

I quite like the expanded squad idea. It’s better than just gifting trades all the time.

Being clear about the approach in advance would also be greatly appreciated.

It’s pretty hard to invest time in SC if decisions that heavily influence the results are just going to be made on the fly. It seems clear to me that BBL interest has dropped off meaningfully after the fixture started getting changed every couple of days.

If it’s clear form the outset that every coach bears their own risks, and gets some extra resources (squad size, cap space, trades) to help deal with that, I think that’s a much better approach.

AFL Club
Essendon
Awesome , thanks for that , very much appreciated

Fully expected Hawkins & Dixon to be high on the list (doubt many will consider starting them) , McEvoy interesting , Daniher coming in at 9th , just shows what someone playing a full 22 games can achieve

Aggregate v Average question now
Yea that was interesting. I guess it comes down to rookie cover, maybe highlights the importance of playing emergencies

AFL Club
West Coast

It would also make their lives easier - I’m sure that having to make decisions at short notice, and then having people complain about them, is not great for the organizers either!

I quite like the expanded squad idea. It’s better than just gifting trades all the time.

It’s pretty hard to invest time in SC if decisions that heavily influence the results are just going to be made on the fly. It seems clear to me that BBL interest has dropped off meaningfully after the fixture started getting changed every couple of days.

If it’s clear form the outset that every coach bears their own risks, and gets some extra resources (squad size, cap space, trades) to help deal with that, I think that’s a much better approach.

Agree they should try to resolve in advance but I think extra bench players and extra cash might not work that well. We often struggle to find enough rookies to field a 30 man squad team Rd 1. Selection of more rookies about which we know little would be guess work probably and require a trade out on the day the crisis occurs anyway. I would keep current squad size and go with maybe 5 more trades. Then you can use them to make the best decision on the day. As I have mentioned in previous times I still think the option to apply a 3 trade round at least once a year at your discretion would help as well. Then if planets align and you have a major covid impact rd you can make enough changes to stay competitive.

AFL Club
Essendon
One thing I always wanted to see was the ability to put any player anywhere on the field, but if you play someone out of position, you don't get their whole score, say only 70% or 80% instead.

Would allow us to field a full team, even if available players don't fit the rigid team structure we are forced into.

AFL Club
Bulldogs

Definitely think there needs to be some allowances made for the Covid situation - we can all see what happens when we are reactive rather than proactive.
Although not on the same scale as Covid, I reckon there are other nasties for SC coaches to deal with.

Pre-Season form - As I understand it there will only be one AAMI pre-season game this year (Covid willing!) There is to be one other scratch game. I've seen plenty of posts anticipating pre-season intel, but it may not be as substantive as its been in the past.
Early game fixturing - Round 1 has a Dogs vs Dees game on Wed and there are Thurs games in each of the first 5 rounds. We all know these games make things more difficult in the fantasy realm.

Putting all these together screams out for some sort of new-abnormal.

Darkie

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Collingwood
Agree they should try to resolve in advance but I think extra bench players and extra cash might not work that well. We often struggle to find enough rookies to field a 30 man squad team Rd 1. Selection of more rookies about which we know little would be guess work probably and require a trade out on the day the crisis occurs anyway. I would keep current squad size and go with maybe 5 more trades. Then you can use them to make the best decision on the day. As I have mentioned in previous times I still think the option to apply a 3 trade round at least once a year at your discretion would help as well. Then if planets align and you have a major covid impact rd you can make enough changes to stay competitive.
I agree regarding rookies being a struggle, it’s a good point.

I’d prefer the cap increase to accommodate a decent mid pricer on the key lines - so it may need to be a bit larger than $0.5m, for example.

AFL Club
West Coast
I agree regarding rookies being a struggle, it’s a good point.

I’d prefer the cap increase to accommodate a decent mid pricer on the key lines - so it may need to be a bit larger than $0.5m, for example.
If they gave you 4 extra bench picks when I agree $500k is way to little. Maybe A def/mid/fwd and 500k would work.