2022: AFL SC Player Discussions

AFL Club
GWS Giants
Would like to hope those responsible for running the game consider the implications of Covid before the season starts rather than making decisions up on the fly. An extended squad of 33 with an extra bench position in the DEF, MID and FWD lines and a starting salary cap of $10.5m could be a season long solution rather than cutting back numbers to 18 whenever games are cancelled. Get ahead of the curve and be proactive rather than wait for it to occur which it inevitably will.
Yeah, I was just thinking about this the other day.

I'm thinking I'd just be happy to be able to cover/substitute any CV listed players temporary for the games they miss with anyone up to the value of that player. As soon as the CV listed player returns you lose that substituted player.

I think the issue we may find is that once you lose one player from a club, it's very likely any other players from that club would have a high chance of also being wrapped up in it - you could lose Dunkley, Bont, Macrae, Treloar, Daniel in one hit for example - most people would walk away from the SC game in that situation and just ghost ship it. They really do need to be pro-active in terms of engaging the group or they will lose plenty of teams and not just from this season.

Diabolical

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Essendon
I like the additional trade for any round with less than 9 games equating to one trade for each game short. If they declare it, we can plan accordingly, and it is on our own heads if we go too deep with players from one or two teams.

Something I have wondered before is if we cop a second donut on a line, we should get our other, non emergency. If they are a DNP then just get our lowest non playing score from all other lines.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
One thing I always wanted to see was the ability to put any player anywhere on the field, but if you play someone out of position, you don't get their whole score, say only 70% or 80% instead.

Would allow us to field a full team, even if available players don't fit the rigid team structure we are forced into.
I mean I’ve seen Danger and Dunks both take on emergency ruck roles. And who can forget this genius. https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/m...ws-story/e2953617717012d30f4574a2bf28fd90?amp Should be able to in SC as well.

Last edited:

Darkie

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Collingwood
View: https://mobile.twitter.com/HawthornFC/status/1480359979701792773

Says he'll be playing back unless he's out of form.

https://www.hawthornfc.com.au/news/1040892

Listed as a defender on the website.

No guarantees of course, but promising.
I just watched this, and probably came away a bit less positive on my Sicily ownership. It doesn’t sound like it’s a given that he’ll have the kick-in duties, and it sounded like the risk of him spending some time forward might be higher than I’d like.

Not taking him out at this stage, but I will keep an eye on his preseason.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Hi All ,
In a keepers league whats the thoughts on Dylan Moore at the Hawks? Appears a breakout season likely? Expected SC average.
Good luck big boy.
Just thought I'd post this article on Moore which was posted on the club's website yesterday you might be interested in. He seems to have a good attitude to the game which is definitely a positive. Hopefully he should be able to at least maintain last years numbers, if not improve on them.

https://www.hawthornfc.com.au/news/1045529/moore-ready-for-2022-following-cherished-year

AFL Club
Essendon
AFL Club
Richmond
Hello Everyone

How many players from 1 team is too much with the threat of COVID-19 looming large.
Currently I have Macrae and English looked into my team.
I am considering Dunkley.

Thank you for taking time to answer my question.

AFL Club
Richmond
Hello Everyone

How many players from 1 team is too much with the threat of COVID-19 looming large.
Currently I have Macrae and English looked into my team.
I am considering Dunkley.

Thank you for taking time to answer my question.
I don’t think we will see games canceled this year due to COVID. Last year was different if someone at the club got COVID they would all be considered close contacts. Since the close contact rule has changed so dramatically to last year I don’t think we will see games cancelled even if players get COVID.

AFL Club
Richmond
I don’t think we will see games canceled this year due to COVID. Last year was different if someone at the club got COVID they would all be considered close contacts. Since the close contact rule has changed so dramatically to last year I don’t think we will see games cancelled even if players get COVID.
Thank you for the reply, I had not considered games being cancelled.
It was more to do with limiting the affect of a club having COVID.
The more players selected from 1 club increases your chance of players missing for that cluster (e.g. 1 in 38 as opposed to 3 in 38).

AFL Club
Hawthorn
There were two teams in the AFLW who couldn't field teams this round due to Covid, meaning two games got cancelled. I'm expecting things will change by March, but don't rule it out.

Darkie

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Collingwood
This is a good point.

We have seen games cancelled in the BBL recently, I think it depends on both squad size and how quickly it can go through the squad.

In BBL I gather some squads are split into groups of 2 or 3 who can spend time together outside of games, to manage the Covid risks. I suspect that’s more viable in BBL than AFL, given how short the tournament is, and cricket is obviously non contact and involves fewer players per “play”, so training while keeping players apart seems more viable in BBL than AFL.

On your question @Toothless Tigers, I think it depends in part on how good your cover is, and perhaps how many rookies you have from that same side. If there were 2-3 good Dogs rookies, 3 premiums might be too much on top of that. Rookies obviously matter less as the season proceeds.

I will be trying to spread my team much more than normal. I will likely use the spread across teams to help decide any 50-50 calls, in the same way that many people do with bye rounds in a normal year.

Connoisseur

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Thank you for the reply, I had not considered games being cancelled.
It was more to do with limiting the affect of a club having COVID.
The more players selected from 1 club increases your chance of players missing for that cluster (e.g. 1 in 38 as opposed to 3 in 38).
Another aspect to keep in mind is the low probability for any squad to have a full list available at any given time due to injuries.

AFL Club
West Coast
I am of the opinion that there will be games postponed this season. How the AFL reals with it is another question. And SC will of no consideration to them. They might be able to get away with a Friday game postponed to a Tuesday of the next week. I mean the NFL has a 53 man squad and then reserve and only need 11 players onfield to start a play but they postponed games due to covid. We have less in a main squad, no reserve and field 22 to start a game. Clubs getting down to the players not ready for AFL could happen very easily and it is in no ones interest to see a 19 yo not physically ready or short of skills being set out to get crushed just because he is the last guy healthy on a list.

AFL Club
Richmond

Darkie

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Collingwood