Discussion 2022: In-Season DPP Additions

Darkie

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Collingwood
@Merv Neagle suggested adding a thread to discuss in-season DPP additions, and this seems like a timely opportunity to do that.

Who do you think will receive an additional position at the end of R6 or R12?

Which additions are most SC relevant?

Last edited:

Darkie

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Collingwood
One thing I’m wondering about is the SC appeal of FWD and DEF additions at the end of R6.

I think it has an impact on how attractive some of the early bolters (eg Hewett, English, arguably even Heeney) are for our R3 restructures.

AFL Club
Carlton
I think at this stage, there's not too many premium standouts (aka MID only players getting DEF/FWD status that make them keepers in DEF/FWD) - although it will be handy when rookies get their DPP (Daicos!)

From a quick scan, some semi-relevant players;
ADD DEF:
Zorko $595,400 MID
JPK $506,700 MID
Pendles $492,300 MID
McGrath $464,600 MID
McDonald $372,100 MID
Brayshaw $366,200 MID
McGovern $256,000 FWD
Daicos $193,800 MID

ADD RUC:
Xerri $208,200 FWD

ADD FWD:
Newcombe $261,300 MID
JHF $207,300 MID

Daicos/JHF/Xerri getting DPP is pretty relevant, but obviously not to the discussion above aka premiums.

I can't see any of Bont, Lyons, Merrett, Keays etc getting DPP, the types of players that would definitely be keepers in their position.

From my DEF list above, I have no real interest in JPK/Pendles/McGrath unless they had some midfield injuries and reverted back to their old roles. That being said, JPK/Pendles (and even Zorko) don't seem to be reverting back to midfield roles any time soon at their age. Would also be hesitant to pick Zorko with his body issues (no guarantee he gets DPP anyway)

I don't think it's a factor at this stage (aka Heeney, English and to a lesser extent Hewett, should barely be affected by any DPP additions)

One to look out for around Round 5-6 and assess then IMO.

AFL Club
Fremantle
I think at this stage, there's not too many premium standouts (aka MID only players getting DEF/FWD status that make them keepers in DEF/FWD) - although it will be handy when rookies get their DPP (Daicos!)

From a quick scan, some semi-relevant players;
ADD DEF:
Zorko $595,400 MID
JPK $506,700 MID
Pendles $492,300 MID
McGrath $464,600 MID
McDonald $372,100 MID
Brayshaw $366,200 MID
McGovern $256,000 FWD
Daicos $193,800 MID

ADD RUC:
Xerri $208,200 FWD

ADD FWD:
Newcombe $261,300 MID
JHF $207,300 MID

Daicos/JHF/Xerri getting DPP is pretty relevant, but obviously not to the discussion above aka premiums.

I can't see any of Bont, Lyons, Merrett, Keays etc getting DPP, the types of players that would definitely be keepers in their position.

From my DEF list above, I have no real interest in JPK/Pendles/McGrath unless they had some midfield injuries and reverted back to their old roles. That being said, JPK/Pendles (and even Zorko) don't seem to be reverting back to midfield roles any time soon at their age. Would also be hesitant to pick Zorko with his body issues (no guarantee he gets DPP anyway)

I don't think it's a factor at this stage (aka Heeney, English and to a lesser extent Hewett, should barely be affected by any DPP additions)

One to look out for around Round 5-6 and assess then IMO.
Fyfe will become Mid/Bench.

AFL Club
Sydney
Ones that stand out to me:

Butters > MID - Should get it based off the two games so far, valuable change but not significant outside flexibility.
Parker > FWD - Probably a 30/70 (Y/N) right now but has played a lot forward, would be a very relevant FWD option.
Zorko > DEF - If he wasn't looking like he could die at any second he'd be very relevant, if he gets fit he's game changing.
Pendles > DEF - Solid but not game changing right now on form.
JHF - FWD - Very useful
Daicos > DEF - Very useful, still think he's got potential as a D6 type.
McGovern > DEF - Valuable.
Xerri > RUCK - Very useful.
McDonald > DEF - Another potential D6 type at a significant discount, definitely relevant.
Bont > FWD - One to watch over the next couple of weeks, similar 30/70 chance to Parker for mine right now but if he's carrying that injury for another couple of weeks and a bit more limited, could be a huge change.
Lyons > FWD - Seems to be much more forward so far and less mid, one to watch but I'd say he's a 20/80 right now.
Danger > FWD - Has spent about 50% of both games forward so far, he's a 50/50 I think given he's always right on that tightrope of getting it. Would be very significant, especially after a stinker that could make him cheap.
Libba > FWD - 1st game was a yes, 2nd game was a no, could be a case where he and Bont both just don't quite get there. Not a game changer though.
Kennedy > DEF - Didn't play there this week, more wing role, so probably a minimal chance if that continues but not relevant anyway unless he gets it and then injuries force him back into the mid.
Swallow > DEF - Should get it based on two games, only relevant if he goes back to mid as not scoring well in defense but that would make him a very cheap DEF option if he does get mid minutes.
Hunter > FWD - Seems to be completely out of favour, worth watching though because he's on the path to being very cheap if they put him back on the wing. Seems genuinely unfathomable that he stays forward so Roarke Smith can play wing when they're now 0-2. I don't know what Hunter did to need punishing but eventually you start thinking more about winning and less about punishing players, even Bevo...

Few of the other rookies should get changes, they're in a weird way the most important as those shifts can be huge.

AFL Club
Richmond
Ones that stand out to me:

Butters > MID - Should get it based off the two games so far, valuable change but not significant outside flexibility.
Parker > FWD - Probably a 30/70 (Y/N) right now but has played a lot forward, would be a very relevant FWD option.
Zorko > DEF - If he wasn't looking like he could die at any second he'd be very relevant, if he gets fit he's game changing.
Pendles > DEF - Solid but not game changing right now on form.
JHF - FWD - Very useful
Daicos > DEF - Very useful, still think he's got potential as a D6 type.
McGovern > DEF - Valuable.
Xerri > RUCK - Very useful.
McDonald > DEF - Another potential D6 type at a significant discount, definitely relevant.
Bont > FWD - One to watch over the next couple of weeks, similar 30/70 chance to Parker for mine right now but if he's carrying that injury for another couple of weeks and a bit more limited, could be a huge change.
Lyons > FWD - Seems to be much more forward so far and less mid, one to watch but I'd say he's a 20/80 right now.
Danger > FWD - Has spent about 50% of both games forward so far, he's a 50/50 I think given he's always right on that tightrope of getting it. Would be very significant, especially after a stinker that could make him cheap.
Libba > FWD - 1st game was a yes, 2nd game was a no, could be a case where he and Bont both just don't quite get there. Not a game changer though.
Kennedy > DEF - Didn't play there this week, more wing role, so probably a minimal chance if that continues but not relevant anyway unless he gets it and then injuries force him back into the mid.
Swallow > DEF - Should get it based on two games, only relevant if he goes back to mid as not scoring well in defense but that would make him a very cheap DEF option if he does get mid minutes.
Hunter > FWD - Seems to be completely out of favour, worth watching though because he's on the path to being very cheap if they put him back on the wing. Seems genuinely unfathomable that he stays forward so Roarke Smith can play wing when they're now 0-2. I don't know what Hunter did to need punishing but eventually you start thinking more about winning and less about punishing players, even Bevo...

Few of the other rookies should get changes, they're in a weird way the most important as those shifts can be huge.
You've highlighted 5 premos that I'm watching, Parker, Zorko, Bont, Lyons and Danger. They've all had scoring drops leading to price changes that make them relevant outside the Mid position. The rookies, as you said, could be the most relevant come rnd 7 releasing the Bowey/Jackson types to mid premos.

My problem is having 300k ITB, not wanting to use it yet but feel that a double upgrade in rnd 5-6 is on the cards, so do I blow my wad on Def/Fwd premiums then or wait until rnd 7 when Daicos and JHF can be moved?

AFL Club
Sydney
You've highlighted 5 premos that I'm watching, Parker, Zorko, Bont, Lyons and Danger. They've all had scoring drops leading to price changes that make them relevant outside the Mid position. The rookies, as you said, could be the most relevant come rnd 7 releasing the Bowey/Jackson types to mid premos.

My problem is having 300k ITB, not wanting to use it yet but feel that a double upgrade in rnd 5-6 is on the cards, so do I blow my wad on Def/Fwd premiums then or wait until rnd 7 when Daicos and JHF can be moved?
Shouldn't be holding 300k for 4 weeks, surely have somewhere that it can be deployed this week and get the points on the field. By week 6 or 7 we will be in upgrade season and you'll be able to find the cash elsewhere.

THCLT

BBL|05 Winner
AFL Club
North Melb.
Does anyone know if there's a minimum number of games that a player has to play in order to qualify...?

For example, if Xerri were to miss a game due to Covid does he still qualify for R/F status or the other extreme is will Owens get M/F status even after only the likely one game...? Owens is of particularly interest to me.

AFL Club
Richmond
Does anyone know if there's a minimum number of games that a player has to play in order to qualify...?

For example, if Xerri were to miss a game due to Covid does he still qualify for R/F status or the other extreme is will Owens get M/F status even after only the likely one game...? Owens is of particularly interest to me.
Just guessing, but DPP status can be given after just 1 game in the previous year, can't really see the difference but who knows with CD. They could say just wait until the end of rnd 11?

AFL Club
West Coast

How DPP additions work, according to Champion Data guru Fantasy Freako:

Generally speaking, a player would gain a second position once they reach 35% game time in another position. We look at that % across the season though, so it’s not broken down into rounds (i.e. Rnds 1-6, Rnds 7-12, Rnds 13-18).

Being % across the season would mean no for Owens off 1 game, but with Xerri playing at least 50% ruck so far over 2 games I would say another 1 or 2 games of that same % by the end of round 5 would guarantee fwd/ruck status.

THCLT

BBL|05 Winner
AFL Club
North Melb.
Being % across the season would mean no for Owens off 1 game
That one game is part of the season though unless there's a specific minimum number of games that needs to be met in order to constitute 'a season'.
I'm not arguing that you're wrong, I'm just trying to seek clarification if there's a min # games requirement or not to qualify for that 1st DPP addition window.
I've searched but haven't found anything conclusive on that front.