Position 2022: Midfield Discussion

Which premium mids are you currently starting?

• Total voters
Can we guarantee the Giants will stick with that exact same formation every week though? We are talking about Leon Cameron here...
Nothing more to say here I think
I'd take the other view - the problem with Cameron is that he doesn't change his mind, even when he should.

cf: too many talls; picking veteran near-dead players over promising rookies; Kelly on a wing.

If he's got Green in the centre bounces last week and it's the same again this week, it'll be the same for the year - probably even if Tom gets a leg amputated or something.

I'd take the other view - the problem with Cameron is that he doesn't change his mind, even when he should.

cf: too many talls; picking veteran near-dead players over promising rookies; Kelly on a wing.

If he's got Green in the centre bounces last week and it's the same again this week, it'll be the same for the year - probably even if Tom gets a leg amputated or something.
CBA's - Round 1 Game 5 - Greater-Western-Sydney 34 - Matthew Flynn 24, Stephen Coniglio 20, Tom Green 19, Jacob Hopper 17, Josh Kelly 17, Callan Ward 17, Tim Taranto 10, Jake Riccardi 10 & Ian Hill 2

Hopper, Kelly & Ward all only had 2 less CBAs than Tom Green though, which says there is still a large group sharing opportunities in there. Also, what happens to Taranto when Toby Greene returns?

AFL Club
Sydney
Many people will be using trade/s to bring in Martin, Rachele and/or Hayes over the next 2 weeks, who will also need to be traded out again. Is it really that bad using these trades on Rowell and/or Cripps instead if you were lucky enough to start with all the rookies?
The difference is that those guys are being grabbed because people project them to make 150-200k+ more than their existing rookie. That's a profit on the 1st trade (the 2nd trade was needed on whoever they're dumping instead anyway). Basically those trades all make sense if you think the profit increases by 100k+ because fundamentally it's one trade to get them in, the out trade was already being made and at about 100k you're going to be trade neutral, no one will be trading a Daicos to get those others where the extra cash generation isn't significant.

Cripps can't make that kind of money, it's not possible for him to make the cash needed to justify the trade. He's a keeper or he's a bust. If you think he can be a keeper then he's still worth targeting.

Rowell arguably can make enough cash to work still but it's pretty borderline and would, more than likely, mean he's also a keeper. There's probably about a 15k window he can slide into where he'd work as a cash cow but probably not as a keeper but realistically you're more than likely behind if he's not a keeper because he probably didn't make enough cash either.

FWIW, I think both are fine targets, I picked both as starting picks because I thought both capable of being keepers if they can stay fit and without the extra trade in invested in them, they can both generate enough cash to work as pure cash cows in the event they're injured but primarily I saw enough from Cripps to think he can push the 115 mark he has previously and enough from Rowell to think he can push the 105 mark that would make him a more than adequate keeper from his starting range in a season I believe cash cows are going to be fairly limited. I would say that the weekend only reaffirmed those projections personally.

It was more about pointing out the extra cost of that trade that can probably generate a return later in the season so it should be factored into a decision. It also diminishes the return on the rookies but in most cases people will be trading a rookie that's probably not making anything for those other rookies that are well positioned to make a lot and that covers the cost of the trade rapidly.

Personally, I'd absolutely be waiting another week. Both Cripps and Rowell beat up on two of the weakest midfields in the league and will both face two of the very best midfields in the league this week. If they back it up and stay healthy that's a couple of big ticks. Basically if you didn't start them you had a reason, think about that reason before changing because of one good game.

AFL Club
Collingwood
Definitely bad news for Brodie, albeit Fyfe rushing back with a busted shoulder is probably actually good news when it inevitably goes pop and he's out for 10+ weeks...

God this is a complex season.
The difference is that those guys are being grabbed because people project them to make 150-200k+ more than their existing rookie. That's a profit on the 1st trade (the 2nd trade was needed on whoever they're dumping instead anyway). Basically those trades all make sense if you think the profit increases by 100k+ because fundamentally it's one trade to get them in, the out trade was already being made and at about 100k you're going to be trade neutral, no one will be trading a Daicos to get those others where the extra cash generation isn't significant.

Cripps can't make that kind of money, it's not possible for him to make the cash needed to justify the trade. He's a keeper or he's a bust. If you think he can be a keeper then he's still worth targeting.

Rowell arguably can make enough cash to work still but it's pretty borderline and would, more than likely, mean he's also a keeper. There's probably about a 15k window he can slide into where he'd work as a cash cow but probably not as a keeper but realistically you're more than likely behind if he's not a keeper because he probably didn't make enough cash either.

FWIW, I think both are fine targets, I picked both as starting picks because I thought both capable of being keepers if they can stay fit and without the extra trade in invested in them, they can both generate enough cash to work as pure cash cows in the event they're injured but primarily I saw enough from Cripps to think he can push the 115 mark he has previously and enough from Rowell to think he can push the 105 mark that would make him a more than adequate keeper from his starting range in a season I believe cash cows are going to be fairly limited. I would say that the weekend only reaffirmed those projections personally.

It was more about pointing out the extra cost of that trade that can probably generate a return later in the season so it should be factored into a decision. It also diminishes the return on the rookies but in most cases people will be trading a rookie that's probably not making anything for those other rookies that are well positioned to make a lot and that covers the cost of the trade rapidly.

Personally, I'd absolutely be waiting another week. Both Cripps and Rowell beat up on two of the weakest midfields in the league and will both face two of the very best midfields in the league this week. If they back it up and stay healthy that's a couple of big ticks. Basically if you didn't start them you had a reason, think about that reason before changing because of one good game.
Is like reading an unreported judgement, not binding but persuasive. Nice one.

Darkie

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Collingwood
It seems there’s so much agreement on the premium mids to target, that there hasn’t been a post in this thread in over six weeks 😱

Boak is flying under the radar again:

- Averaging 124.7, ranked #4 in the comp (1ppg behind second)
- Only two scores below 117
- Only missed 5 games in 10 years
- Priced at under 600k
- Plays North and Essendon in the next three games

He hasn’t been on my upgrade list either, but I think he’s severely under-rated, and would at least be worth consideration.

It seems there’s so much agreement on the premium mids to target, that there hasn’t been a post in this thread in over six weeks 😱

- Priced at under 600k

He hasn’t been on my upgrade list either, but I think he’s severely under-rated, and would at least be worth consideration.
There does already seem to be a consensus 7 of Neale, Cripps, Macrae, Oliver, Miller, Steele & Petracca which is leaving everyone with little room to make up ground in the midfield.

So M8 is shaping up to be potentially the most crucial selection this season with anyone from Brayshaw, Mills, Boak, Walsh, Laird, Parish etc. contending for this slot.

Boak is certainly on my radar, but I am probably going to wait a few more weeks to see if a clear frontrunner emerges and have Greg Clark hold down M8 in the meantime.

AFL Club
West Coast

- Priced at under 600k

He is under-rated no doubt, but I have a few concerns.

Ken is giving Rozee much more mid time now, he even stated that Hayes/Butters/Wines/Rozee was his preferred centre square combo a few weeks back. Boak is 33 now, turns 34 in 3 months time so quite obvious that he is being fazed out - playing more half fwd now.

Round 12 bye, not sure I want to bring in a mid premium that has the first of the 3 byes (depends on your structure really).

Last 2 years he has started the year strong before tapering off mid season :-

2021:-

Screen Shot 2022-05-10 at 10.49.37 am.png

2020:-

Screen Shot 2022-05-10 at 10.50.07 am.png

AFL Club
Adelaide

- Priced at under 600k

I've got him penciled in for a Rd13 appearance, after his bye.
Lots can change in that time, but he's definitely on my radar.

AFL Club
Sydney
Touk is missing for me, not sure if I can wait til R14 to complete my mids though.
Wouldn't be waiting for the byes for an ugprade. With the trade boost and a particularly easy rookie/upgrade season most should have their sides finished before the byes which leaves you the ability to use trades to navigate within if needed.

Darkie

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Collingwood
There does already seem to be a consensus 7 of Neale, Cripps, Macrae, Oliver, Miller, Steele & Petracca which is leaving everyone with little room to make up ground in the midfield.

So M8 is shaping up to be potentially the most crucial selection this season with anyone from Brayshaw, Mills, Boak, Walsh, Laird, Parish etc. contending for this slot.

Boak is certainly on my radar, but I am probably going to wait a few more weeks to see if a clear frontrunner emerges and have Greg Clark hold down M8 in the meantime.
It’s a good point about Clark. He seems like someone we will want on field.

I can definitely see a downside case for Boak, but it seems like we see a similar thing each year, and the predictions of his demise end up being premature!

AFL Club
Sydney
Wouldn't be waiting for the byes for an ugprade. With the trade boost and a particularly easy rookie/upgrade season most should have their sides finished before the byes which leaves you the ability to use trades to navigate within if needed.
I more mean that it might have to be someone else

AFL Club
Adelaide
Depends if your "finished" side includes those who haven't lived up to expectation ie Butters atm.
If they come good, then all is well, but if they don't and you need to include them in your trade plans that could slow the path to completion.

AFL Club
Richmond
Depends if your "finished" side includes those who haven't lived up to expectation ie Butters atm.
If they come good, then all is well, but if they don't and you need to include them in your trade plans that could slow the path to completion.
To me, 'finished' is just a relative term, I really don't think anyone's team is finished until they run out of trades. I've currently milked all of my cows and my team is now in a holding pattern until rnd 13, I have Ryan and Butters to flick as luxury upgrades around their byes, Martin at F6 (Butters), Clark at M8, I'm relatively happy to run with this team for 3 rnds, it could be argued that Martin is shaping up as a keeper at F6 and we're yet to see how Clark goes but he might be a viable M8, so maybe my team is 'finished' and Martin/Clark are luxury upgrades.

I know I'm splitting hairs here with my logic but it's just my thoughts.