Discussion 2022: Rookie Discussion

How many $140,000 to $208,000 players do you currently own?

• 9+

Votes: 39 26.4%

Votes: 17 11.5%

Votes: 28 18.9%

Votes: 33 22.3%

Votes: 20 13.5%

Votes: 7 4.7%

Votes: 4 2.7%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Cheers Bermi
I must say, I am feeling reasonably responsible for everyone suddenly showing concern for their grammar. I'm actually pretty crap at spelling and grammar, however I have been saved over the past 25 years by the miracle of spell check software -lolz :cool:
FYI Ricky, 'lolz' is not a word... FYI... :whistle:

AFL Club
Essendon
Sorry to post this in two places:
At this point I've brought in Clark in this week. I wonder if it would be better to bring in Hamilton or Carroll this week, and Clark next when he's on his bubble.

Hamilton's price and DP status makes him attractive, I'm just unsure about his JS, which has seemed to be the general consensus. Actually I though he was M/D when he is M/F so not so much of a difference. I'm set for M/F link but losing D/M link.

I had though Rioli was pretty highly considered, but I'm seeing doubt over both scoring and JS. Is Carroll the better choice?

Darkie

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Collingwood
Sorry to post this in two places:
At this point I've brought in Clark in this week. I wonder if it would be better to bring in Hamilton or Carroll this week, and Clark next when he's on his bubble.

Hamilton's price and DP status makes him attractive, I'm just unsure about his JS, which has seemed to be the general consensus. Actually I though he was M/D when he is M/F so not so much of a difference. I'm set for M/F link but losing D/M link.

I had though Rioli was pretty highly considered, but I'm seeing doubt over both scoring and JS. Is Carroll the better choice?
I seem to be one of the primary sources of doubt on Rioli, so please don’t make too much of that. I’m just concerned that small forwards usually fail in SC and that he’s a less productive one than Rosas on VFL stats, which doesn’t augur well to me.

He does have DPP and seemingly decent JS from most of what I’ve seen/read, which could be handy through the byes.

AFL Club
Essendon
So many questions and differing opinions over the rookies this week, I thought I'd let the byes decide between: Rioli, Hamilton, Carroll - either bringing 1 or 2 of them in this week ---- doesn't make a difference, all have R12.

Glad Clark is R13

Any final word on the three mentioned. Any final consensus? Could just bring Clark in this week.

AFL Club
Richmond
So many questions and differing opinions over the rookies this week, I thought I'd let the byes decide between: Rioli, Hamilton, Carroll - either bringing 1 or 2 of them in this week ---- doesn't make a difference, all have R12.

Glad Clark is R13

Any final word on the three mentioned. Any final consensus? Could just bring Clark in this week.
I can only comment on Rioli (have Hamilton, Carroll and Clark already) he seems to be one of those players that thrive on the big stage, I think he was named in the bests for St Marys when they played a semi final 3 years ago and exhibited those traits over the last 2 rnds, including the basketball bounce which he also did in the final. The Tigers certainly enjoy what he brings to the side and he's really only keeping Aarts out who's just a good VFL player, Rioli also scored 72 without any goals but he will have his poor scoring days like any small, pressure forward, just hoping he can string a few games together before that happens.

AFL Club
Essendon
I can only comment on Rioli (have Hamilton, Carroll and Clark already) he seems to be one of those players that thrive on the big stage, I think he was named in the bests for St Marys when they played a semi final 3 years ago and exhibited those traits over the last 2 rnds, including the basketball bounce which he also did in the final. The Tigers certainly enjoy what he brings to the side and he's really only keeping Aarts out who's just a good VFL player, Rioli also scored 72 without any goals but he will have his poor scoring days like any small, pressure forward, just hoping he can string a few games together before that happens.
Yeah he'd be a looper I think. Structurally I've just realised bringing in Carroll would make it awkward to also bring in Clark next week. It's possible, but if if come down to the two I think Clark wins on JS and bye. So it probably comes down to Rioli and Hamilton.

You must have tripled down in order to fit them all in.

AFL Club
Collingwood
Would have thought one of the biggest advantages having Hamilton is his DPP and the ability to link perfectly with Coniglio.

Depending on what happens in the forward lines with the next lot of DPP's , Cogs probably slips to a F7 , assuming the aim is to have Clark at M10 with Hamilton at M11 , then can swap Cogs & Hamilton around if necessary.

fwiw I traded in Rioli as the rookie this round (plan to add Clark next round) and decided to upgrade Butters & Gresham to Darcy & Zorko while the opportunity presented itself

Only seen glimpses of Rioli play but the excitement level that he brings is enough , think he looks like he will thrive on the big stage

Hoping to have a Mitchell (won't be him but have been tracking a alternative) price type as M9 so didn't really see the need for the Coniglio/Hamilton swing.

Obviously people have different ideas/plans/thoughts for their team moving forward.

Last edited:
AFL Club
Collingwood
Cheers Bermi
I must say, I am feeling reasonably responsible for everyone suddenly showing concern for their grammar. I'm actually pretty crap at spelling and grammar, however I have been saved over the past 25 years by the miracle of spell check software -lolz :cool:
Very rarely I do texting, so I am forever googling abbreviations in this forum, but slowly learning their meanings :)

lolz
[lɒlz]

NOUN
informal
  1. fun, laughter, or amusement.

AFL Club
Collingwood
I do have ideas, but this crop of rookies fit equally well structurally into that plan - except perhaps Carroll. It's just they all have considerable question marks. Anyway, thanks for the feedback everyone.
Their you go then , might have just answered your own question.

Theoretically you probably are not going to field any of them and just need their scores during the Bye rounds (2 scores) so who works best long term.

May not even get to trade them out once they have peaked so could be just sitting on the bench for the rest of the season.

Hopefully it's relatively easy (this season) to end up with decent D7 , M9 & F7 as cover.

I either have to play Carroll/Hamilton on field or use a trade on Rosas for a paltry 70-100K gain.

I don’t like either of those options, so I’m looking at skipping both Carroll & Hamilton.

Last edited: