Opinion 2022: Round 14 Trades

How many trades will you have before Round 14?

• 14+

Results are only viewable after voting.
Hi Peoples, trades left 15 + 4 boosts probably the reason I’m 38k position so thought about getting a move on.
Out: S Hayes Owens Gawn
In: Preuss English Teakle
Itb $134
Thinking about using a Boost on Himmelberg for cash. A few on here have said he’s had a role change and that’s the reason for increased scoring however he has been listed in HF position all season so I’m not understanding the ‘change’ in role - am I missing something?

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Anyone considered heeney to himmelberg?

Heeney is going through a bit of a slump at the moment. Any thoughts?

AFL Club
Adelaide
Anyone considered heeney to himmelberg?

Heeney is going through a bit of a slump at the moment. Any thoughts?
Thought very hard about it , ended up flicking Marshall for Himmelberg instead. Heeney still in the drop zone for me though.
Only reason he survived is that I wanted to trade McDonald for a playing rookie to help with the byes.
Strong chance he goes next week for someone like Miller unless he has a blinder today.

Hi Peoples, trades left 15 + 4 boosts probably the reason I’m 38k position so thought about getting a move on.
Itb $134
Thinking about using a Boost on Himmelberg for cash. A few on here have said he’s had a role change and that’s the reason for increased scoring however he has been listed in HF position all season so I’m not understanding the ‘change’ in role - am I missing something?
With 4 boosts left I think you almost *have* to use one this week, especially if you still have rookies or dodgy mid-pricers on field in your best 22 and there's a suitable premo within reach.

Himmelberg specifically was moved to the backline where he's played the third tall / interceptor / seagull role and has produced scores of 126 and 187 in the past two games. The risk with Himmelberg's scoring looking ahead is that Nick Haynes (who plays the same role) is back this week and Phil Davis is also back soon, so Himmelberg might be shifted back to the forward line where his scoring output is much, much lower any time, perhaps as soon as this week.

As an aside you can ignore where players appear on the team sheets and just focus on whether they're in the starting 22 or named as an emergency as the line ups posted on afl.com.au are often hilariously misleading .

Last edited:
AFL Club
Adelaide
Itb $134
Have you not had internet access for 6-8 weeks?

Darkie

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Collingwood
Thanks guys - and if you had to choose one of Cogs or Preuss? Assuming I take both Witts and Bont that is.
This is a tough one. I’m a relatively happy owner of both GWS players.

Preuss is the #3 fit ruck, or #2 if you assume English plays forward (which appears to make sense based on season averages). He hasn’t had a score below 100, but isn’t an established premium. Personally I don’t think there are huge JS issues with him (I think he’s missed due to his illness), but you’d have to say there are some concerns. He’s also cheaper than Cogs.

Cogs is more established and arguably has a couple of premo seasons to his name (and more, if you set the bar based on FWD status). McVeigh is playing him more as a midfielder and has said he sees Cogs that way. He’s gone huge since the coaching change, with an 85, a 140 and a 174, albeit the latter two against WC and North. He’s had injury issues at times but would seem safer than Preuss on that front. He also DPP.

I would probably go for Cogs, narrowly, although I wouldn’t have a huge issue taking both. If Preuss over Witts saved you a trade (for now) and substantial cash, you could potentially pencil in a Preuss => Witts trade later if Preuss doesn’t work out or if the price gap narrows materially. Alternately you could do Preuss to Grundy or Gawn when they’re back. If Preuss keeps going at 110+ you’re well ahead, and if he reverts or misses games, perhaps it largely just costs you the extra trade you’d be locking in now if you didn’t take him. I wouldn’t normally advocate for taking a riskier pick with my final upgrade/with a handful of trades left, but if taking Preuss alongside Cogs saves you a trade, that changes the assessment in my mind.

Darkie

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Collingwood
Itb $134
Those are good trades in my view, or you could maybe keep Owens, given he is out with concussion and will hopefully return soon. Not sure about other ins and outs at the Saints though (eg I think Billings and Clark are back). I’m guessing that you have other fat cash cows who might be ready to be culled.

I agree with @Grundogging and would be putting my foot to the floor on the pace of trades now. If you still had a Daicos, McCartin or SDK type, I’d consider cutting them instead of Owens, and prepare to get in another premo next week, or maybe even this week.

I’d also consider trading anyone that has the bye this round that you don’t want in your completed team. If you have someone like Trac, you may be able to get them up to a better premo.

Should be a fun few weeks for you, lots of trades to go shopping!

AFL Club
Adelaide
Ohh, very good - hasn’t been any decent bubble boys and I’m trying very hard not to get a premium player with high BE. Lack of patience has been an issue with me in the past.
It's an issue with me too.
"Lord give me patience, right bloody now"!

Darkie

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Collingwood
Ohh, very good - hasn’t been any decent bubble boys and I’m trying very hard not to get a premium player with high BE. Lack of patience has been an issue with me in the past.
It can be frustrating when this happens.

An approach that might work for you is one I have used in BBL or IPL, where there are three trades every round (not wildly different to what you’re looking at near term), and often you’re doing sideways trades of premium players, but can still have a tighter budget than you’d like (because you’re usually wanting to cull guys in poor form and bring in those playing well).

Sometimes when cash is tight or when the premiums I want have highish BEs, I’ll use two trades to get the players I want, and a third that is largely focused on near-term cash gen (maybe a slightly compromised premium, but often a pinch hitter like a Himmelberg). If you aggregate the BEs and your scoring expectations across the three players, often the cash gen outlook seems okay, and the scoring potential for the three is a lot better.

Himmelberg is probably the most obvious choice for a pinch hitter at this point, with downside risk on role, but that’s less of an issue for you given your trades in hand.

Jackson could be an option for you next round. He won’t have a really low BE, but you’d expect Gawn being out should benefit him (I posted some stats on that a day or so ago).

With 4 boosts left I think you almost *have* to use one this week, especially if you still have rookies or dodgy mid-pricers on field in your best 22 and there's a suitable premo within reach.

Himmelberg specifically was moved to the backline where he's played the third tall / interceptor / seagull role and has produced scores of 126 and 187 in the past two games. The risk with Himmelberg's scoring looking ahead is that Nick Haynes (who plays the same role) is back this week and Phil Davis is also back soon, so Himmelberg might be shifted back to the forward line where his scoring output is much, much lower any time, perhaps as soon as this week.

As an aside you can ignore where players appear on the team sheets and just focus on whether they're in the starting 22 or named as an emergency as the line ups posted on afl.com.au are often hilariously misleading .
Yes still have rookies on field,
Those are good trades in my view, or you could maybe keep Owens, given he is out with concussion and will hopefully return soon. Not sure about other ins and outs at the Saints though (eg I think Billings and Clark are back). I’m guessing that you have other fat cash cows who might be ready to be culled.

I agree with @Grundogging and would be putting my foot to the floor on the pace of trades now. If you still had a Daicos, McCartin or SDK type, I’d consider cutting them instead of Owens, and prepare to get in another premo next week, or maybe even this week.

I’d also consider trading anyone that has the bye this round that you don’t want in your completed team. If you have someone like Trac, you may be able to get them up to a better premo.

Should be a fun few weeks for you, lots of trades to go shopping!
Sorry, should have said H Dixon not Owens. Trades are done now, except for the Boost.
Yes have all the ones you mentioned, probably have 14 actual keepers and Zorko Petracca Merritt Cripps Butters (counted Cogs as keeper) plus 2 on field Daicos McCartin (SDK benched). Basically waiting for decent prices for Stewart MaCrae Laird Sicily types with suitable downgrade targets - been hard though. Happy to clear away some Rookies and bring in decent players this week to give myself a fighting chance to get into the top 8 in my league, currently at 15th. Thanks to Grundog and yourself for your comments.

It can be frustrating when this happens.

An approach that might work for you is one I have used in BBL or IPL, where there are three trades every round (not wildly different to what you’re looking at near term), and often you’re doing sideways trades of premium players, but can still have a tighter budget than you’d like (because you’re usually wanting to cull guys in poor form and bring in those playing well).

Sometimes when cash is tight or when the premiums I want have highish BEs, I’ll use two trades to get the players I want, and a third that is largely focused on near-term cash gen (maybe a slightly compromised premium, but often a pinch hitter like a Himmelberg). If you aggregate the BEs and your scoring expectations across the three players, often the cash gen outlook seems okay, and the scoring potential for the three is a lot better.

Himmelberg is probably the most obvious choice for a pinch hitter at this point, with downside risk on role, but that’s less of an issue for you given your trades in hand.

Jackson could be an option for you next round. He won’t have a really low BE, but you’d expect Gawn being out should benefit him (I posted some stats on that a day or so ago).
Thanks Darkie, will get Himmelberg in for McCartin with the Boost tonight (4 trades done) and worry about Zorko Petracca types next round.
Have English Preuss in Rucs now with Teakle benched. Definitely thought about Jackson with Gawn out but looking at his history I’m not that confident, not confident about Preuss either with his body but the cash generation could turn out better than the Jackson risk. Nice chatting to you, appreciate your write up.

Darkie

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Collingwood
Thanks Darkie, will get Himmelberg in for McCartin with the Boost tonight (4 trades done) and worry about Zorko Petracca types next round.
Have English Preuss in Rucs now with Teakle benched. Definitely thought about Jackson with Gawn out but looking at his history I’m not that confident, not confident about Preuss either with his body but the cash generation could turn out better than the Jackson risk. Nice chatting to you, appreciate your write up.
No problem. Good luck with it, you are probably in a position to snag a few PODs (eg Steele) that others will struggle to get in. Could position you well if you can make finals.

No problem. Good luck with it, you are probably in a position to snag a few PODs (eg Steele) that others will struggle to get in. Could position you well if you can make finals.
It all depends on Rookie downgrades to come...thanks again. If I’m desperate anyone will do to release cash. Should be fun trying even if I miss out.