Strategy 2022: Round 9 Trades

Darkie

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Collingwood
I am still so undecided about my trades this late into the round.
Is Berry a trade or a hold? :unsure:
Unless you think he will bounce back in the next couple of rounds for some reason, he looks like a trade to me. Just posted his two worst scores of the season, and has a high BE as a result.

AFL Club
Essendon
Have gone Dixon, Ward, JHF to Laird, Clark, Rioli.

If Rioli (E) goes 70+ and Sam Hayes (E) goes sub 90, I'd be tempted to update my trade and go Laird to Sean Darcy via Cogs to mids and J. Hayes forward.

I think I want both Darcy and Laird. Makes sense to get Darcy this week as he has just a 75 BE. But Hayes should do alright against Goldy, and as it stands I would have McComb's 41 ready to loop in :sick: A combination of these factors has lead me to getting Laird first, however the above scenario would swing me back the other way.

I LOVE the update trade feature.

Tamuhawk

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Nic Martin got mid status after playing only 4 games so i thought Carrol would get it after 4 games as well. Annoying as i wanted him over Hamilton and Rioli, may have to reconsider now.
The first round of dpps happened at the start of round 6.

So for that they were required to have played 4 out of 5 games.

The second round of dpps happening at the start of round 12 means that's Rd 6-11 = 6 rounds. (So it seems they've increased the minimum amount to 6 rounds for the second round of dpp.)

If Rioli (E) goes 70+ and Sam Hayes (E) goes sub 90, I'd be tempted to update my trade and go Laird to Sean Darcy via Cogs to mids and J. Hayes forward.

I think I want both Darcy and Laird. Makes sense to get Darcy this week as he has just a 75 BE. But Hayes should do alright against Goldy, and as it stands I would have McComb's 41 ready to loop in :sick: A combination of these factors has lead me to getting Laird first, however the above scenario would swing me back the other way.

Just as an FYI Darcy has three tough matchups in his next 4 games: Witts, (nobody), Gawn and the Big O / Fort combo, so I don't think his price is going to get too far away before the byes if he is in your longer term plans...

AFL Club
West Coast
Hey all. Would appreciate any advice/opinions. Attached team below, as you can see, defence is my weakest line and needs upgrading asap.
I need to bring in a premo defender for Bowey who is finally getting axed. Crisp, Sicily & Zorko are the main 3 i'm looking to bring in this round, as they are all R14 bye players. If i go Zorko, i can go 1 up 1 down, but i will need 2 down to get any other defender, namely Sicily or Crisp.

I'm thinking: 1: MacDonald, Rosas to M.Rioli & Hamilton, 2: Bowey to one of Zorko, Sicily, Crisp (yeh cutting Rosas a little early) but all other rookies are still scoring ok and making more cash. Stephens (syd) is being traded to Clark next week.

Any opinions on which defender you'd bring in? Zorko good value, 73k cheaper than starting price but obv risk with inj & age, opposite is true for Sicily who is now 570k, had him all pre-season, then went Rosas over him, Crisp solid and still less than starting price.

Appreciate any opinions, thanks in advance and good luck to all.

View attachment 44032
Point 1 - I don't how many trades you have, however, I am trying to resist cutting MacDonald, let alone Rosas who I also have. Both still getting games. Plus using trades for $80k capital release is hard to swallow even with all the trades we have,

Point 2 - If scraping the barrel, Clark has to be one of the incomings. Rioli and Clark.

Stephens goes first, not even playing lately. Hard to split MacDonald who has had a lot of games to prove himself vs Rosas who luckily was give another game.

So my recommendation is Stephens to Rioli then wait one week.

Next t week I would take some risk a go Gibcus to Luke Cleary.
Also then with one more week, bring Clark in by moving Rioli forward.

I think most would rate Crisp first, then Sicily then Zorko who has age/injury/mixed role risk.

I have Sicily and Crisp, Sicily just appears to be outscoring his role so well, yet he is the man down back and guessing they see more inside 50s than a Steven May does. Sicily would have some slight risk if a taller defender was injured, whereas Crisp has a set role and productivity level.

AFL Club
Collingwood
Took a punt and brought in Darcy Cameron. Happy with a 90. Was even happier when he was 37 at qrt time. Saw potential for a 100+ last night so hopefully it happens. He's the Parker I couldn't afford as I got Sean Darcy in too. Hopefully Cameron can some what match Parker's scores. If so its a big win for me

AFL Club
West Coast
Aside from Martin all my most vauable rookies are defenders. I can trade one by moving McCartin back to def and can't upgrade my D6 to a premium because I'll be stuck fielding Durdin/Rosas/Rioli at F6. The best I can do with two trades (only two boosts left) is Daicos to a premium forward (probably Taranto because he's cheap) and Ward to Carrol/Rioli.

Any feedback is welcome, but really the whole team's a bit of a disaster outside of the mid premiums.

View attachment 44033
You need to leave McCartin where he is. Cannot trust the other two and it is a cheap way of protecting F6 from a 25 for now.

Ward and Stephens to Rioli and Clark for me. I am not 100% sold on Carroll or Hamilton as must in rookies. Durdiin 59 means you want to hold him a bit longer, just maybe he will put a couple of good scores together.

I would consider next week NoD out, Mcartin back English in, or another genuine forward premium Parker level or up.

Daicos to Cleary maybe in next two weeks.

Then what to do with Jack Hayes, do you go down to a non playing rookie. Hard just before the byes.

One alternative is J Hayes up to English for the byes, then downgrade Sam Hayes when maxed out to a donut DPP if no alternative ruck has eventuated.

You could mixed these various strategies up. What it depends on is who do you want to bring in and their break even.

I am personally using my 4th boost this week to bring a premium in.

I am a no to Taranto.

AFL Club
West Coast

Looking similar Sam to what I am doing. Have Dixon stranded capital as well.

Been toying with Petracca vs Laird, yet Laird looks super consistent. His run feels good and his scorers are not against all easy teams.

Berry/Ward/NoD to Petracca/Clark/Rioli this week. Edit Was looking Laird yet will impact English trade.

Then in next 1-2 weeks, Gibcus to Cleary and Maybe Dixon to English.

Had considered your loophole, dont think Dixon plays, should be Naish as emg. Hard to know what to make of Darcy, more susceptible to injuries this year, scoring up and down. Gawn also has a harder run, hence English focus.

Keeping the $200k rookies for now if they are playing.

Last edited:
Looking similar Sam to what I am doing. Have Dixon stranded capital as well.

Been toying with Petracca vs Laird, yet Laird looks super consistent. His run feels good and his scorers are not against all easy teams.

Berry/Ward/NoD to Petracca/Clark/Rioli this week. Edit Was looking Laird yet will impact English trade.

Then in next 1-2 weeks, Gibcus to Cleary and Maybe Dixon to English.

Had considered your loophole, dont think Dixon plays, should be Naish as emg. Hard to know what to make of Darcy, more susceptible to injuries this year, scoring up and down. Gawn also has a harder run, hence English focus.

Keeping the $200k rookies for now if they are playing.
Laird over Trac would be a great POD. I reckon he’s a better option.

Darkie

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Collingwood
Thoughts on Boak? Not much love on here? 4th ranked average and just seems to be doing the job.
I brought him up recently in the midfielders thread, and there was some discussion there that may be of interest. I think the consensus was that he’s quite under-rated yet there may be better options.

AFL Club
West Coast
Laird over Trac would be a great POD. I reckon he’s a better option.
Agree, just don't want to be needing to do 3 trades next week (or week after) if I can help it if I go English. only one boost left.

Planning forward always tricky, particularly if Butters has a poor score and becomes the base to bring someone in. However, just mindful of not being overly aggressive as well despite that fact I am triple boosting again to move Berry to a premium, leaving weakest spots theoretically as D6 (McCartin) or R2 Hayes.

AFL Club
Essendon
I brought him up recently in the midfielders thread, and there was some discussion there that may be of interest. I think the consensus was that he’s quite under-rated yet there may be better options.
I also seem to recall that he seems to taper off in the second half of seasons - not sure if this is correct.

AFL Club
Essendon
Dunno where that impression is coming from, stats below are from period since Laird moved to full time midfielder in the second half of 2020:

2021 (round 12 onwards): 126.7 avg, 11/11 100+ scores (low of 102), 6 x 120+ scores, 4 x 130+ scores, high score of 178
2020 (round 10 onwards): 121.2 avg, 10/11 100+ scores (low of 77), 5/8 x 120+ scores, 1 x 130+ scores, high score of 185 (season ended at rd 18)
Was referring to Boak, but I still could be wrong.

Was referring to Boak, but I still could be wrong.
My bad I got it mixed up with the Laird talk. *rubs eyes*

Yeah for sure Boak is a fast starter who tapers off heavily in the second half of the year pretty much every year, usually back down to the 105-110 mark over the past few seasons where he has had his late-career "renaissance"...

Last edited: