2022: AFL SC Player Discussions

AFL Club
North Melb.
These are all value options however who we take at the top end is probably just as interesting.
  • Do we trust Parish, Miller, Darcy, Lyons, Walsh, Mills enough to pay top dollar for them?
  • Gawn,Jelly, Neale, Lloyd may present value but will they return to their previous scoring levels?
  • Zorko and Laird will be expensive and probably mid only.
  • Where’s Danger at?
  • TMitch been largely ineffective this year. Will he change his game?
  • You would probably back Macrae and Bont to sustain their scoring but they will be expensive.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Don’t do it.
Don’t do it.
Too many men have failed before.
;)
Are you saying Don't Play the Perryman? :)

I usually end up picking at least one player the year before they break out, then not picking them in the year they do. Looking through players that have been in my team at some stage this year, the best chances to do that in 2022 (excluding first year players) are probably Deven Robertson, Tom Green, or Zac Bailey, and I don't see it - maybe it might not happen this time. Hopefully it is one or more of the 7 or 8 Hawks I've had in my side instead...

AFL Club
Collingwood
Shiel could be a interesting price if he doesn't return this season , Caldwell maybe.

Has Gunston had further complications or another surgery on his back ? Will we see him in 2022 ?

Last edited:
AFL Club
Melbourne
Love this thread!

Sicily and Rowell discounted premiums.

Marshall and English both ruck / forward and allow you to wait and see on the big guys.

Duncan if he is a forward probably a no-brainer.

Lachie Neale with a full pre-season.

Always looks so easy 9 months out....

AFL Club
North Melb.
We are blessed for top line mids I reckon...
Bont, Macrae, Steele, Oliver, Neale with the pedigree (could just about put Lyons in there as well); Walsh, Touk, Parish up and coming guns; guys like Zerret, Jelly, Laird, Titchell, Petracca still very solid picks.

Gotta make sure you start the guns or you'll be way behind I think.

AFL Club
Carlton
Are you saying Don't Play the Perryman? :)

I usually end up picking at least one player the year before they break out, then not picking them in the year they do. Looking through players that have been in my team at some stage this year, the best chances to do that in 2022 (excluding first year players) are probably Deven Robertson, Tom Green, or Zac Bailey, and I don't see it - maybe it might not happen this time. Hopefully it is one or more of the 7 or 8 Hawks I've had in my side instead...
Don't even fix a price.

Unless he's traded to the other side 😊

AFL Club
Adelaide
Def locks - Lloyd, Ridley

Watchlist
Milera should be 200k, made of glass but can score if given a def role.
Sicily - Don’t see him as top 6 off an ACL but will monitor
Hall - I don’t really want to start him but he’s potentially D1, same goes for JZ. Always prefer guys in mid 20s

Mid locks - Steele
Not locking in any mid premo just yet bar Steele, next in line would be Macrae, Bont, Walsh, DP3 and Touk.

Watchlist
Rowell - needs a full preseason, not getting near it at the moment.
J.Berry - 42avg atm, but dodgy groins. Easy pick if in 200s
Hately - at 180k need some indication he’s best 22, doesn’t look good atm
Cogs - I’ll pick him if he’s in the 300s, should make 100k. Point to prove. Wonder if he’s used forward?
Mcrouch - Wouldn’t surprise me if traded, might be in the 400s. Not sure yet on him, OP is rough to come back from
Horne - not a massive accumulator but looks like he’ll be ready to go, welll need to pay for discos as well.

Ruck locks - Grundy probably
Need more info here on all rucks. A fit Darcy I’ll pick. Gawn ceiling is gone now with Jackson. Monitor rookie rucks, think we should get Sam Hayes at some point.

Forward locks - Dunkley, Marshall
No questions, as long as Dunks gets fwd status.

Watchlist
English - they indicated they want him more forward and with another ruck, he’s not top 6 sharing ruck duties. So see what they say next preseason. Solo = lock
Rioli - has been moved to HB, current price should be in 200s. See how he goes in preseason.
Danger - this is a tough one because he’ll be in the 500s but I’d rather not start a 31-32 year old with a very taxing style, prefer to upgrade to.
Butters - this is also a tough one because of durability but at 420k odd the upside might be too hard to pass.

Connoisseur

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Depends on who retains or receives forward status but I will be aiming for a third consecutive season of only starting with one forward over $400,000.

AFL Club
Collingwood
DEF:

Ryan - Just so consistent. Could go like Tom Stewart or could go like Caleb Daniel. I am predicting the former.

Stewart - As above. Consistency. Will depend on his starting price.

Salem - Has the ceiling. His floor concerns me. Will be keeping a close eye in the pre-season.

Dawson - Seems to be taking some points from Lloyd, will be a pre-season watch. Has flown under the radar for what could be a 95+ season. Can get forward too, more fun to watch than the seagull.

Hall - Bruise-free role allays a lot of the injury concern. His average is still lower than it should be due to his season start. But will he be worth the premium? Where will McDonald end up? Pre-season watch again.

Sicily and Ridley in this list as watches as well.

MID:

Top tier: Steele, Walsh, Lyons, Macrae, Bont, Parish, Oliver, Merrett

Discount: Berry, Rowell, Neale, Shiel, Crouch all on the pre-season watchlist.

RUC:

Not much to say here, I think I'm just about all in on Grundy and Darcy. Hopefully Darcy's injury isn't too troubling.

FWD:

Butters - Big pre-season watch. Crazy potential.

Marshall - Been a bit up and down this year but a pre-season to get his body right could be exactly what he needs.

Dunkley - No-brainer if he keeps fwd status.

Thomas - Really nice body of work towards the back-end of the season. Should get a fair bit of time around the ball and looks as if the scoring is there. Depending on price and mid/fwd status, will be a big watch.

Jackson - Don't have a lot to say but if Max starts to hand over the reins a bit more he could be anything. Maybe not a starting pick but could be a big watch early in the season.

Couple of injured players on the watchlist such as Caldwell, Hately, Milera (+ more) but this is all very speculative.