2022: AFL SC Player Discussions

AFL Club
West Coast
Treloar, Coniglio and Taranto as mid/fwds would all be very tempting.

Butters, De Goey and Thomas the other likely mid/fwds which have been mentioned regularly.
A very long season which has attributed to SuperCoach fatigue and is quite startling that Taranto has been touted as an enticing selections on numerous occasions, if he receives dual position status.

At the predicted price range, his lack of hitting close to his ceiling on a regular basis and very low floor, coupled with his poor disposal efficiency/decision making, it provides little upside as a starting selection as he can be selected later in the season once he dips to the low or mid $400,000 range. The forward line is the best place to take risks on breakouts or to enter sans premium, rather than overpaying on players due to scarcity.
Dunks, Duncan, Taratunlar and Treloar. What could possibly go wrong?!!!
I gather that means Zorko & Dangerfield are currently mid only , although they take into account the finals for positions.
Yes, skipped over Duncan too. Another tempting one if mid/fwd.
It is interesting to see the love for players who receive DPP. I am a bit with Connoisseur on Taranto on someone who traded him out.

Security in role is important and does feel at the end of the season when all players were available that he was more forward, than mid. Expect those inside young bulls get more CBA's, Kelly too if not injured (if ever).

Preference is someone who is likely to have been a fwd and starting to get increasing mid time typically the more attractive players, someone who the following year ideally is mid only.

Duncan looks attractive. Dunkley if preseason ok, although starting to look like a Fyfe who always gets injured.

DeGoey - new coach risk. Would need to see commitment from McRae.

Treloar - role risk, terrible last few games pre and post injury. injury risk high.

Butters I expect will be hot again, just think risk we are over extrapolated his first two games of 2021.

Interesting when looking at SuperCoach Mumma, Butters was the only speculative pick.

Next ones were Taranto (I started, late downgrade from Rowell to fund Impey).

Short/Ridley/Dunkley all value picks but not speculative. Ridley was 50/50 for me. Walsh talked about, I couldn't afford him.

More importantly not picking Neale (high price and no preseason) and no Lloyd (price) show the balance in team picking.

One new rule I need to think hard about - do not start 2021 Brownlow medallist.

AFL Club
Collingwood
Let's see

Take out those that will be defenders & Zorko + Dangerfield leaves :-

Dunkley 102.50
Strachan 😀 100.50
Duncan 99.20
Marshall 98.60
Taranto 97.30
Hawkins 93.90
Stringer 93.10
Martin 92.50
Wingard 92.10
Greene 90.90

Menegola 90.30 ? F/M (listed as mid)
Smith , I 89.40 (listed as mid)
Dixon 89.10
Treloar 88.80 ? F/M
English 88.70 ? F/R
Sidebottom 87.30
Langford 86.80
Walker 86.20
McDonald 85.90
De Goey 85.20

Duncan & Marshall if both have F status look the 2 standouts to me.

Coniglio if F/M @ F3 suddenly opens up all sorts of possibilities on other lines depending on discount , but with Hopper , Ward , Taranto and Green the inside mids are starting to get crowded at the Giants.

Last edited:
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Let's see

Dunkley 102.50
Strachan 😀 100.50
Duncan 99.20
Marshall 98.60
Taranto 97.30
Hawkins 93.90
Stringer 93.10
Martin 92.50
Wingard 92.10
Greene 90.90

Dixon 89.10
Treloar 88.80 ? F/M
English 88.70 ? F/R
Sidebottom 87.30
Langford 86.80
Walker 86.20
McDonald 85.90
De Goey 85.20

Coniglio if F/M @ F3 suddenly opens up all sorts of possibilities on other lines depending on discount , but with Hopper , Ward , Taranto and Green the inside mids are starting to get crowded at the Giants.
Unfortunately Greene is a SC flog, too risky. Cross him off your list. He likely won't be there round 1, or round 2 anyways.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
It is interesting to see the love for players who receive DPP. I am a bit with Connoisseur on Taranto on someone who traded him out.

Security in role is important and does feel at the end of the season when all players were available that he was more forward, than mid. Expect those inside young bulls get more CBA's, Kelly too if not injured (if ever).

Preference is someone who is likely to have been a fwd and starting to get increasing mid time typically the more attractive players, someone who the following year ideally is mid only.

Duncan looks attractive. Dunkley if preseason ok, although starting to look like a Fyfe who always gets injured.

DeGoey - new coach risk. Would need to see commitment from McRae.

Treloar - role risk, terrible last few games pre and post injury. injury risk high.

Butters I expect will be hot again, just think risk we are over extrapolated his first two games of 2021.

Interesting when looking at SuperCoach Mumma, Butters was the only speculative pick.

Next ones were Taranto (I started, late downgrade from Rowell to fund Impey).

Short/Ridley/Dunkley all value picks but not speculative. Ridley was 50/50 for me. Walsh talked about, I couldn't afford him.

More importantly not picking Neale (high price and no preseason) and no Lloyd (price) show the balance in team picking.

One new rule I need to think hard about - do not start 2021 Brownlow medallist.
Taranto - so what you are saying is wait for Jelly's injury then buy Tarantula. Easy money! Love it. I needed to drop one anyway (Dunks, Duncan and Treloar it is, done).

Treloar is an injury risk no doubt, without expecting his peak pies prowess, I do see him being better off having gotten to know his team mates, having a full preseason (as much as covid allows), and we get the discount from his R1, R10 and R21-3 (when he wasn't with it, or still partly recovering). I'm a bit biased though because I saw more of his early rounds than the latter ones.

AFL Club
West Coast
Let's see

Dunkley 102.50
Strachan 😀 100.50
Duncan 99.20
Marshall 98.60
Taranto 97.30
Hawkins 93.90
Stringer 93.10
Martin 92.50
Wingard 92.10
Greene 90.90

Dixon 89.10
Treloar 88.80 ? F/M
English 88.70 ? F/R
Sidebottom 87.30
Langford 86.80
Walker 86.20
McDonald 85.90
De Goey 85.20

Taranto - so what you are saying is wait for Jelly's injury then buy Tarantula. Easy money! Love it. I needed to drop one anyway (Dunks, Duncan and Treloar it is, done).

Treloar is an injury risk no doubt, without expecting his peak pies prowess, I do see him being better off having gotten to know his team mates, having a full preseason (as much as covid allows), and we get the discount from his R1, R10 and R21-3 (when he wasn't with it, or still partly recovering). I'm a bit biased though because I saw more of his early rounds than the latter ones.
Last I looked at that list, Marshall Ruck only. Last 4 game FT ruck probably killed his dpp.

Wingard great finish to the season, Clarko owed him for coming to the club and supporting him, may not get that role again under Mitchell.

Between coach changes, Lyons maybe back, Bevo/Longmire/Leon messing with us with stupid changes, Danger and Duncan becoming injury prone, lets hope the next wave of Impey, Ziebell and Daniher are around. The no premium ruck in 2021 should have been the no premium forward line.

Maybe its time to start with The Package!

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Last I looked at that list, Marshall Ruck only. Last 4 game FT ruck probably killed his dpp.

Wingard great finish to the season, Clarko owed him for coming to the club and supporting him, may not get that role again under Mitchell.

Between coach changes, Lyons maybe back, Bevo/Longmire/Leon messing with us with stupid changes, Danger and Duncan becoming injury prone, lets hope the next wave of Impey, Ziebell and Daniher are around. The no premium ruck in 2021 should have been the no premium forward line.

Maybe its time to start with The Package!
Yeah, not starting Danger or Dusty would have been a masterstroke (or selling Dusty in round 3 with a low BE, nearly as good as selling Ridley prior to KO and role change. The premo free forward line, hey, I'll give it some thought, but it will take someone with more balls to run the goey package, its DDT (Dichlorodiphenyltrichloroethane, sorry Dunks, Duncan, Treloar ) for me — no mozzies in my team!

AFL Club
Richmond
Well holding MID/FWD after the weekend per this mornings AFL Player Ratings update. Must seriously be by the skin of his teeth.

Interestingly, between last week and this week, Shai Bolton has had his position updated from MID to MID/FWD without playing. So not sure if that’s just been an oversight in terms of compiling their summaries for twitter (which we’ve seen has happened in the past, or if they’ve be completing reviews and making adjustments already on the eliminated teams.
Surely gets DPP after spending the first 3 quarters at HFF not touching the ball tonight.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Could be a good trap for 2022. There is always a few we need, the ones you avoid that everyone jumps on. Neale, Dow, Rowell (unfair given injury) were the 2021, will Taranto be 2022.
Rowell wasn't a trap, people walked into a door even though they knew it was there.

Fwds always have a lower expectation, which could suit the big hairy spider quite well.

Connoisseur

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Fwds always have a lower expectation, which could suit the big hairy spider quite well.
Just has to make sure his web is big enough to catch and contain his prey but thankfully he has plenty of time to attend to this in the off-season.

AFL Club
North Melb.
Just has to make sure his web is big enough to catch and contain his prey but thankfully he has plenty of time to attend to this in the off-season.
I get the vibes around Taranto - ultimately he was a fail as a mid this year.

But put him in with the forwards... and he's the 3rd on aggregate for this year and the highest scorer who played every game. I'd take that output again in a heartbeat.

Are people thinking he drops off a long way from his 97? (That feels a bit extreme really)
Even if he fell 5ppg, he's still ranked 7th on aggregate for forwards, which you'd probably still rate as a pass 🤔

Connoisseur

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I get the vibes around Taranto - ultimately he was a fail as a mid this year.

But put him in with the forwards... and he's the 3rd on aggregate for this year and the highest scorer who played every game. I'd take that output again in a heartbeat.

Are people thinking he drops off a long way from his 97? (That feels a bit extreme really)
Even if he fell 5ppg, he's still ranked 7th on aggregate for forwards, which you'd probably still rate as a pass 🤔
Plenty of options around a similar price range that display far more upside on other lines along with the forward line presenting the best option to take risks.

I would much rather take a risk on a forward between the $250,000 to $450,000 price range rather than overpaying on a player I am not confident in to provide value or to exceed his current average.

Given his poor disposal efficiency and tendency to post low scores, I can see many impatient coaches trading him over the first three to five rounds and thus wasting a valuable starting spot thanks to misguided expectations.

AFL Club
West Coast
Rowell wasn't a trap, people walked into a door even though they knew it was there.

Yep, here is a reply of my biggest mistake this year picking up Rowell. 😂

View attachment 34027
Agree, mine too! Always behind the eight ball starting with a score of 9 in the midfield in round 1 this year as well as needing to use a trade the following week…
Think there was some FOMO if he went big, had a track record over a few games that suggested he was value. Taranto as well.

As much as Taranto may be third best fwd on ave next year, he recent role at end of season including in the final last night would give you cause for concern. Greene out may help hit start next year, also guarantees I think he starts forward more.