Discussion 2023: NRL Supercoach Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

KLo30

Leadership Group
AFL Club
North Melb.
NRL Supercoach has worked it's way to position where it deserves it's own yearly thread, so here it is.

SCS NRL GROUP - 758110
https://supercoach.heraldsun.com.au/nrl/classic/?action=join-group&code=758110

20 Team League - SCS NRL 1 (686573) - filled
https://supercoach.heraldsun.com.au/nrl/classic/?action=join-league&code=686573

12 Team League - SCS NRL 2 (398935) - filled
https://supercoach.heraldsun.com.au/nrl/classic/?action=join-league&code=398935

12 Team League - SCS NRL 3 (944786) - filled
https://supercoach.heraldsun.com.au/nrl/classic/?action=join-league&code=944786

Invites sent to those who participated last season. 18 team league now a 20 team league, and 10 team league now a 12 team league. First in best dressed. Ghost Shipping is unacceptable, so don't join if you can't commit.

USEFUL TOOLS

KLo30

Leadership Group
AFL Club
North Melb.
KFC SuperCoach NRL back for 2023 with biggest rule changes in years
The introduction of 17th NRL franchise the Dolphins has forced a complete rethink of KFC SuperCoach rules for 2023. Full lowdown here.Tom Sangster
4 min read
January 24, 2023 - 9:18AM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

SuperCoach
Don't miss out on the headlines from SuperCoach. Followed categories will be added to My News.
Follow
KFC SuperCoach is back for 2023 with a host of exciting innovations and the biggest rule changes in years.
The introduction of new franchise the Dolphins has forced a complete rethink of the NRL draw – and the boffins at KFC SuperCoach have reacted with game changes aimed at making the game more fun, fair and easier to play.
From a bye season overhaul, to increased trades, to a record salary cap – this promises to be a season like no other.
RULE CHANGES
The addition of the Dolphins has seen huge changes in actual NRL, including an increase to 27 rounds (up from 25), while the uneven number of 17 teams means there must be at least one team on the bye per week. We have made the following changes to adapt to the new challenges, including:
• MORE TRADES: KFC SuperCoaches have an additional four trades this season, a total of 46.
• BYE ROUNDS REIMAGINED: While the maximum amount of trades per round remains at two, you’ll be able to make up to three trades per round in the ‘major’ bye rounds - 13, 16 and 19. Up to five Trade Boosts will be available once again, giving an extra trade on rounds you choose.
• BEST 13: With the new challenges of dealing with byes throughout the season, there will be a new “Best 13 Scoring” rule for the three major bye rounds (13, 16 and 19) where multiple teams have a bye. In these rounds, you’ll score from your best 13 players only.

MORE CASH TO SPLASH
The KFC SuperCoach salary cap has increased to $11.45 million to be more in line with the actual NRL cap.
ALL-NEW SITE FEATURES
• COMPLETE SITE REDESIGN:
On both desktop and app to simplify and speed up navigating around the site, plus faster live scoring.
• NOTIFICATIONS AND CHAT: We’ve added live notifications (and will provide direct links) when there’s something you need to know.
NEW FOR SUPERCOACH PLUS SUBSCRIBERS
• UPDATED OWNERSHIP DATA:
Coaches’ choice numbers (most selected/traded/captained) can now be filtered by the top 1%, top 5% and top 10% of teams, in addition to everyone playing.
NEW LEAGUE RULES
• 20 TEAM LEAGUES:
Due to changes in the NRL draw, default public and private 20-team head-to-head leagues will now begin in Round 1 and complete in Round 22, skipping the three major bye rounds. Therefore everyone continues to play every other team once. All finals series will take place in rounds 23-26, finishing one round early, as before.
• 10 TEAM LEAGUES: Default 10-team leagues have now been expanded to 12 teams - to run between rounds 1-22, including bye rounds, with all teams playing against each other twice and finals series to follow.

DRAFT REIMAGINED
We continue to improve and develop KFC SuperCoach Draft based on your feedback. Among the big changes:
• More customisation.
• Ability to change draft order.
• Turn on/off emergencies.
• Option to play a reduced scoring squad over bye rounds.
• Full control of the waiver wire order.
• PAUSE during live draft.
• Notifications for any major happenings in your league.

KLo30

Leadership Group
AFL Club
North Melb.
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND
• TRADE BOOST:
Use an extra trade on any given week for a maximum of five rounds a season.

• CHANGE TRADES AFTER LOCKOUT: Missed a late out or just changed your mind entirely? You can change trades during a round, on top of the beloved reverse trade button.

• PLAYER POSITION UPDATES: At regular intervals during the season, the KFC SuperCoach team will reassess player positions and assign dual-position status to players if their on-field role changes. The updates will be provided ahead of rounds six, 12 and 18.

BIG PRIZES
At the end of the NRL home-and-away season the top SuperCoach in the country takes home $50,000 in cash. Second place receives $5000 and those placed third to 10th win $1000 each.

There is also a $1000 weekly prize for the best score each round – doubled to $2000 if you’re a SuperCoach Plus subscriber.

And that’s not all. KFC delivers delicious chicken every week for the top 11 scorers, offers 11 per cent off your next order for everyone who opts into KFC SuperCoach and there’s more epic merch, experiences and chicken up for grabs throughout the season.

THE BASICS: HOW IT WORKS
• You’re a coach with a team to pick, a salary cap to work under and games to win.

• Select a squad of players from across the NRL and score points based on their real-life performances.

• During the year you’ll deal with form and injuries just like an NRL coach, but with the benefit of trades to replace sidelined or out-of-form players.

• Take on your mates in your own private league for ultimate bragging rights, and track your progress against all other SuperCoaches in the race for weekly and major prizes.

HOW TO PLAY
• Register for KFC SuperCoach NRL.

• You have a $11.45 million salary cap and 25 players to pick.

• Select two hookers, four props, six back rowers, two halfbacks, two five-eighths, seven centre/wings and two fullbacks. Remember to save your team!

• You will need a mix of top-end stars, bottom-priced players who will rise in value and a few in between. Look for players who are underpriced due to injury or a change in role.

KFC SuperCoach point-scoring system
StatAwarded/Deducted

• Need help picking a side? Try the auto select feature which picks a team for you instantly using our smart technology.

• Change your team as much as you like until Round 1 starts.

• Before each round, choose a final 17 (13 starters and four reserves). Only the scores of these players count.

• Also choose a captain, who he earns double points, and a vice-captain as back-up.

More Coverage
NRL draw analysis: The winners and losers for 2023Shocks and snubs: Predicted round one NRL teamsCheapie Bible: The positional battle set to define SuperCoach
• You have 46 trades to maintain your side during the season. Each week you can make up to two trades, except for the bye rounds when you get three trades.

• Stay on top of your team with our free Apple and Android apps.

KLo30

Leadership Group
AFL Club
North Melb.
NRL predicted teams Round 1 2023, Early Mail, how your team will line up
Injuries and suspensions are set to wreak havoc on NRL teams for round one of 2023. Here’s how each side is set to line up, plus KFC SuperCoach opportunities.
Rob Sutherland
18 min read
January 18, 2023 - 11:41AM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

NRL 2023: Predicted round one teams.
SuperCoach
Don't miss out on the headlines from SuperCoach. Followed categories will be added to My News.
Follow
Throw out the form guide because NRL teams for round one 2023 are set to look very different to how they finished last year.
Injuries, suspensions, recruits and departures will see mass changes at many clubs.
Not to mention that we welcome an entirely new club in the Dolphins. Here’s how each side is set to line up for the opening round of the season.

BRISBANE
Predicted round one team:
1. Reece Walsh 2. Corey Oates 3. Kotoni Staggs 4. Herbie Farnworth 5. Selwyn Cobbo 6. Ezra Mam 7. Adam Reynolds 8. Thomas Flegler 9. Billy Walters 10. Payne Haas 11. Kurt Capewell 12. Jordan Riki 13. Pat Carrigan
Bench: 14. Cory Paix 15. Keenan Palasia 16. Brendan Piakura 17. Corey Jensen
Casualty ward: Kobe Hetherington (Biceps, indefinite)
Key positional battle: A largely settled backline with new recruit Reece Walsh locked in to play fullback much to the chagrin of fullback aspirants Herbie Farnworth and Selwyn Cobbo. It’s expected Billy Walters will hold off the challenge of Cory Paix to start at hooker. Would not shock to see Corey Jensen start with Tom Flegler coming on off the bench against tired forwards.
Early KFC SuperCoach winners/losers: Hard to find. Walters might be interesting with a full pre-season preparing to play hooker under his belt but his price is awkward. I’m a little off Payne Haas who has been overtaken in the premium FRF category by both Joe Tapine and Tino Fa’asuamaleaui. Twist my arm and I suppose I would say that Pat Carrigan is a ‘maybe’, will see how he looks in the trials and what sort of minutes we might expect. But elsewhere I just cannot see value compared to price for any Bronco.

CANBERRA
1. Xavier Savage 2. Nick Cotric 3. Matthew Timoko 4. Sebastian Kris 5. Jordan Rapana 6. Jack Wighton 7. Jamal Fogarty 8. Josh Papalii 9. Zac Woolford 10. Joseph Tapine 11. Hudson Young 12. Elliott Whitehead 13. Corey Horsburgh
Bench: 14. Tom Starling/Danny Levi 15. Corey Harawira-Naera 16. Emre Guler 17. Pasami Saulo
Casualty ward: All expected to be available for selection by round one.
Key positional battle: The backline at the Raiders looks pretty settled leaving the only battles as 1. who plays lock and 2. how Ricky Stuart uses his hookers. Early mail is the battle for lock is between the two Coreys. The Horsburgh of the Coreys is a better defender, though a limited ball player. The Hyphen of the Coreys has much better hands but Mr Harawira-Naera can certainly miss a tackle. One other option would be to move Elliott Whitehead to lock and play Harawira-Naera in the second-row. The acquisition of Danny Levi from Super League club Huddersfield gives Canberra three hooking options – the only one who would be SuperCoach relevant is Tom Starling if he were locked in to play big minutes but his diminutive frame does not seem up for that.
Early KFC SuperCoach buys/avoids: Joe Tapine stepped up to well and truly join the elite FRF ranks in SC and real life in 2022. His workrate in offence was significantly higher than previous years, regularly taking two hit-ups in set and there was venom in the runs with career-best tackle bust numbers. If there’s is a worry it is that Tapine seems to work into his season with his average score in rounds 11-20 being significantly better than his average in rounds 1-10 in every season of the past five. Still, no Origin is a big boost and I think Tapine may have supplanted Haas as the set and forget FRF of 2023.

CANTERBURY
1. Jake Averillo 2. Braidon Burns 3. Jacob Kiraz 4. Paul Alamoti 5. Josh Addo-Carr 6. Matt Burton 7. Kyle Flanagan 8. Max King 9. Reed Mahoney 10. Luke Thompson 11. Viliame Kikau 12. Raymond Faitala-Mariner 13. Tevita Pangai Junior
Bench: 14. Fa’amanu Brown/Jackson Topine 15. Ryan Sutton 16. Andrew Davey 17. Chris Patolo
Casualty ward: Bailey Biondi-Odo (Knee, Rd 21), Sam Hughes (Back, Rd 3), Declan Casey (Shoulder, Rd 2)
Key positional battle: While the spine is settled there are plenty of battles still to be had at the Dogs before round one. Braidon Burns, Jacob Kiraz, Paul Alamoti appear to have the nod to fill the backline (with Jake Averillo and Josh Addo-Carr locked in). Don’t discount Hayze Perham though – training the house down is the word. In the forwards any combination of Pangai Jr, Sutton, King and Thompson can fill 8, 10, 13 and the bench with the actual starting trio still very much up in the air. The second-row battle between Andrew Davey and Raymond Faitala-Mariner is far from decided too.
Early KFC SuperCoach winners/losers: Not a lot of SuperCoach gold on offer to my eye at Belmore. There is some cheapie sparkle though with boom youngster Paul Alamoti a chance to finally show his wares in the NRL. Alamoti is not a certainty of selection to start the season but there is a centre slot up for grabs and he’s a strong chance of nailing it. Alamoti has been a star throughout his junior years and in 2022 he played against the men in the NSW Cup. In 15 games he scored four tries, assisted in four more, averaged almost three tackle busts per game while running for 150 metres per. Come on Ciraldo, do us SuperCoaches a solid and pick the kid will ya?

CRONULLA
1. William Kennedy 2. Sione Katoa 3. Jesse Ramien 4. Siosifa Talakai 5. Ronaldo Mulitalo 6. Matt Moylan 7. Nicho Hynes 8. Toby Rudolf 9. Blayke Brailey 10. Braden Hamlin-Uele 11. Briton Nikora 12. Teig Wilton 13. Dale Finucane
Bench: 14. Cameron McInnes 15. Wade Graham 16. Royce Hunt 17. Oregon Kaufusi
Casualty ward: Matt Ikuvalu (Knee, indefinite)
Key positional battle: The backline is very settled with the only likely moving pieces being in the forwards. Wade Graham has signed on to play one more year for the Sharks and is preparing to fill plenty of gaps in 2023. “I’m floating all over the place at the moment in training,” he told Michael Carayannis on SEN Radio. “I’m playing in the back row, a bit of middle. I even got in the halves a couple of times.
“Round one is still a fair distance away but if we were to play tomorrow, I probably wouldn’t be in the starting team, if I’m honest, the way we’re training. But, there’s still plenty of time to go before round one. We will just see how we go. Footy’s a funny thing, you never want to look too far ahead.”
I expect Royce Hunt and Braden Hamlin-Uele will play similar minutes no matter who gets the start.
Early KFC SuperCoach winners/losers: Nicho Hynes was immense in his first year at the Sharks scoring 1973 points (the eighth best season score ever) averaging 85.8PPG. With a position leading base average of 32PPG and base/power of 42PPG, Hynes is about as safe a scorer any halfback. However, no halfback is immune from strength of schedule factors – full draw analysis is not far away I promise – and the Sharks have a tough start to the season. Hynes’ average against top-eight teams in 2022 was 63.6PPG from eight games. Compare that to his average against bottom-eight teams (97.5PPG from 15 games – gee the Sharks had a soft draw eh?) and it is a worry for those taking Hynes early.

DOLPHINS
1. Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow 2. Jamayne Isaako 3. Euan Aitken 4. Tesi Niu 5. Edrick Lee 6. Anthony Milford 7. Sean O’Sullivan 8. Jesse Bromwich 9. Jeremy Marshall-King 10. Mark Nicholls 11. Felise Kaufusi 12. Kenny Bromwich 13. Tom Gilbert
Bench: 14. Kodi Nikorima 15. Ray Stone, 16. Jarrod Wallace 17. Herman Ese’ese
Key positional battle: Travis Meyn reports that the starting pack is pretty much set which just leaves a battle for the fullback position (Tabuai-Fidow is likely in front though he is dealing with an ankle niggle), halfback (the experience of O’Sullivan against the spectacular talent of young Isaiya Katoa) and centre (Gildart and Brenko Lee snapping at heels of those listed) and a rather unsettled bench. Hopefully we get a better guide from the trials.
Early KFC SuperCoach winners/losers: With only a strong vibe about how the round one backline will look – and no real idea on how it will gel, I’m making Tom Gilbert my guy to watch at the Fins. Gilbert was excellent for the Cowboys in 2022 whether that be on an edge or rolling up his sleeves and working through the middle. With dual position eligibility and tipped to get first crack working through the middle as the team’s starting No. 13 I think he’ll blossom in 2023 and prove a savvy buy.

KLo30

Leadership Group
AFL Club
North Melb.
GOLD COAST
1. AJ Brimson 2. Alofiana Khan-Pereira 3. Phillip Sami 4. Aaron Schoupp 5. JoJo Fifita 6. Kieran Foran 7. Tanah Boyd 8. Moeaki Fotuaika 9. Sam Verrills 10. Tino Fa’asuamaleaui 11. David Fifita 12. Beau Fermor 13. Erin Clark

Bench: 14. Jayden Campbell 15. Joe Stimson 16. Jaimin Jolliffe 17. Isaac Liu

Casualty ward: Brian Kelly (Suspension, Rd 4), Patrick Herbert (Knee, indefinite)

Key positional battle: Trav Meyn brings the gold again, revealing Tanah Boyd has won the battle to partner Kieran Foran in the Gold Coast’s new-look spine here. It’s a very inexperienced wing pairing though Fifita was very impressive and held his spot after making his debut in round 18 last year.

Early KFC SuperCoach winners/losers: Boyd played the final five games of the season at halfback and averaged a very respectable 60PPG while doing so. Admittedly it was a generally soft run of games (excepting the Storm) but if he is to come out averaging 50PPG over the opening eight weeks then he should climb around 100K while providing excellent points per dollar considering his $380K starting price. Erin Clark excelled as a ball-playing lock late in 2022, if he gets a start there in 2023 he has to come under serious consideration at his price.

SEA EAGLES
1. Tom Trbojevic 2. Christian Tuipulotu 3. Tolu Koula 4. Brad Parker 5. Reuben Garrick 6. Josh Schuster 7. Daly Cherry-Evans 8. Josh Aloiai 9. Lachlan Croker 10. Taniela Paseka 11. Haumole Olakau’atu 12. Kelma Tuilagi 13. Jake Trbojevic

Bench: 14. Ben Trbojevic 15. Toafofoa Sipley 16. Sean Keppie 17. Ben Condon

Casualty ward: Karl Lawton (Knee, Rd 4), Morgan Boyle (Foot, indefinite), Morgan Harper (Shoulder, indefinite), Jason Saab (Knee, indefinite) Alec Tuitavake (Knee, indefinite)

Key positional battle: Reuben Garrick wants to move into the centres, but I cannot see it happening until Jason Saab (who would then replace Garrick on the left side) is fit and available for selection. The forward pack is largely settled. Karl Lawton would probably come straight onto the bench when fit leaving Turbo Jr in a three-way battle with Ben Condon and Ethan Bullemor for the final spot on the bench.

Early KFC SuperCoach winners/losers: He’s undeniably cheap, and when fit is possibly the best player in rugby league (and SuperCoach) but a fresh hamstring injury has seen Tom Trbojevic jet off to the USA to do work with hamstring whisperer Bill Knowles and there’s no way I’d be risking bringing him into my team until we have a decent chance to see how his leg holds up. So it’s to a cheapie in Josh Schuster that I go. Injury meant Schuster did not start 2022 until round eight, and to be frank he did not look in NRL shape when he did take the field. Reduced to playing bit part roles off the interchange, Schuster had a forgettable year. He has, stop me now, been training the house down, according to reports, and so I’m expecting to see a leaner specimen in 2023. Schuster will also have the role he covets which is as a starting five-eighth rather than second rower as the club gives him first shot at replacing Kieran Foran. Don’t expect Foran playmaking ability but ideally we get a big-bodied half who does plenty of defence and busts plenty of tackles and with deft hands racks up a few linebreak and try assists along the way. All for not much more than a bottom-dollar cheapie. Do it.

STORM
1. Ryan Papenhuyzen 2. Nick Meaney 3. Reimis Smith 4. Justin Olam 5. Xavier Coates 6. Cameron Munster 7. Jahrome Hughes 8. Nelson Asofa-Solomona 9. Harry Grant 10. Christian Welch 11. Tariq Sims 12. Eliesa Katoa 13. Josh King

Bench: 14. Tyran Wishart 15. Tui Kamikamica 16. Alec MacDonald 17. Trent Loiero

Casualty ward: All expected to be available for selection by round one with Ryan Papenhuyzen, Reimis Smith and Christian Welch all having overcome long-term injuries.

Key positional battle: The return of Papenhuyzen and Smith does wonders for the look of Melbourne’s backline. Welch played just one game in 2022 and his return helps to o***et the loss of the Bromwich brothers and Felise Kaufusi. I am tipping new recruits Tariq Sims and Eliesa Katoa to win starts but it would not shock to see Trent Loiero hold out Katoa while it’s also possible that Asofa-Solomona is used on an edge terrorising would be defenders (a tactic which worked for both he and Tui Kamikamica at times last year).

Early KFC SuperCoach winners/losers: Cameron Munster had a superb year last year averaging almost 7PPG better than the next best five-eighth (Dylan Brown of the Eels). The Storm star has a career average of 71.5 against his Round 1-8 opponents and averaged 81 points against them from 11 meetings in 2022 (including four triple figure scores). Munster doesn’t come cheap at a snip under $850K, but no player is as ‘set and forget’ at his position and if you’re taking chances elsewhere then his reliable high scores will help with the heartburn.

KNIGHTS
1. Lachie Miller 2. Greg Marzhew 3. Dane Gagai 4. Bradman Best 5. Dom Young 6. Kalyn Ponga 7. Jackson Hastings 8. Jacob Saifiti 9. Jayden Brailey 10. Daniel Saifiti 11. Tyson Frizell 12. Brodie Jones 13. Adam Elliott

Bench: 14. Kurt Mann 15. Leo Thompson 16. Jack Hetherington 17. Lachlan Fitzgibbon

Casualty ward: Kalyn Ponga (Calf, TBC), Mat Croker (Suspension, Rd 3)

Key positional battle: The Knights have not signed Lachie Miller at the time of writing, but they may have by the time you read this. Miller recruitment allows Kalyn Ponga to move into five-eighth – provided he is healthy, if not new recruit Tyson Gamble will deputise. Fellow new recruit Greg Marzhew should nail down one wing spot forming a powerful combination with fellow winger Dom Young for when it comes time to bring the ball back from a kick.

Early KFC SuperCoach winners/losers: It’s hard going to find much at the Knights to get excited by. Ponga is an undoubted talent, and he’s cheap, but his pre-season calf injury and switch of positions to five-eighth are major red flags for me. That leaves young outside back Krystian Mapapalangi. The former South Sydney junior is a serious talent, if he jags a starting spot in round one he’ll be hard to leave out.

COWBOYS
1. Scott Drinkwater 2. Kyle Feldt 3. Valentine Holmes 4. Peta Hiku 5. Murray Taulagi 6. Tom Dearden 7. Chad Townsend 8. Jordan McLean 9. Reece Robson 10. Reuben Cotter 11. Coen Hess 12. Jeremiah Nanai 13. Jason Taumalolo

Bench: 14. Jake Granville 15. James Tamou 16. Mitchell Dunn 17. Griffin Neame

Casualty ward: Heilum Luki (Knee, Rd 4), Luciano Leilua (Stood down, Indefinite)

Key positional battle: None really. Expect Heilum Luki to come in for Coen Hess when available with Mitch Dunn the player to make way. Speaking of Dunn he is expected to be available for selection come round one but if not (he is coming back from an ACL injury) then former Dragon Jack Gosiewski is the likely player to take his spot. Tom Chester is a talented youngster who has been training in the centres for the Cowboys and may make the team as an impact bench player.

Early KFC SuperCoach winners/losers: Fullback Scott Drinkwater produced the fourth best average of any player available at fullback in 2023 in a breakout year. His early ownership rate is far lower than the likes of Latrell Mitchell or James Tedesco, but the Cowboys have a verrrrry favourable early draw and Drinkwater is a good chance to produce more points than either over the opening two months at a significantly lower price point. Further, unlike Tedesco and fellow fullback favourite Tom Trbojevic, Drinkwater does not have a bye in the opening eight weeks. If there is a knock it is that Drinkwater is yet to put together a season where he averages better than 60/60 (60 points in 60% of games) but this year certainly feels like it will be the year he does that.

KLo30

Leadership Group
AFL Club
North Melb.
PARRAMATTA
1. Clint Gutherson 2. Maika Sivo 3. Will Penisini 4. Waqa Blake 5. Bailey Simonsson 6. Dylan Brown 7. Mitchell Moses 8. Reagan Campbell-Gillard 9. Josh Hodgson 10. Junior Paulo 11. Shaun Lane 12. Bryce Cartwright 13. J’maine Hopgood

Bench: 14. Jake Arthur 15. Makahesi Makatoa 16. Jack Murchie 17. Nathan Brown

Casualty ward: Ryan Matterson (Suspended, Rd4), Bailey Simonsson (Shoulder, indefinite)

Key positional battle: The departure of Isaiah Papali’I opens a backrow slot at the Eels and I expect Penrith recruit J’maine Hopgood to nab it. Ryan Matterson’s decision to take a suspension rather than pay a fine meant Hopgood would likely start in round one anyway but I expect once Matterson is available for selection that it is Bryce Cartwright rather than Hopgood who makes way. The only other spot in doubt would appear to be the right wing. If Bailey Simonsson is not fit then that leaves Haze Dunster (under an injury cloud himself) and Sean Russell to fight it out.

Early KFC SuperCoach winners/losers: Parra have a really tough draw early (remember the SuperCoach Strength of Schedule yarn IS coming) which has me avoiding the Eels’ spine early doors. One Eel at a very reasonable price is former Panther Hopgood. Playing in the NSW Cup, Hopgood pumped out stellar stats averaging 38 tackles, 10+ runs, three tackle busts and two offloads while scoring eight tries. In the one NRL game he did get to start – round 25 when Penrith rested their stars – Hopgood scored 67 points in 68 minutes.

PANTHERS
Predicted round oneteam:
1. Dylan Edwards 2. Sunia Turuva 3. Izack Tago 4. Stephen Crichton 5. Brian To’o 6. Jarome Luai 7. Nathan Cleary 8. Moses Leota 9. Mitch Kenny 10. James Fisher-Harris 11. Luke Garner 12. Liam Martin 13. Isaah Yeo

Bench: 14. Soni Luke 15. Scott Sorensen 16. Spencer Leniu 17. Tyrone Peachey

Casualty ward: Taylan May (Suspension, Rd 3)

Key positional battle: The departure of Api Koroisau and Viliame Kikau leaves two starting roles unfilled for the premiers. Mitch Kenny likely starts at hooker with Soni Luke to come in once some of the starch has been taken out of the game. Luke Garner would appear to have the lead in the race to replace Kikau though it would not shock me if the underrated Scott Sorensen won that battle. Taylan May’s suspension gives Sunia Turuva a chance to build on the three games (two bench and one start) that he got for the Panthers late in 2022. May will slot straight back in when available though. That final bench spot is no lock for Tyrone Peachey, not with Jaeman ‘Junkyard Dog’ Salmon sniffing around.

Early KFC SuperCoach winners/losers: No doubt we’ll all have plenty of Panthers in our squads by the end of the season, but outside of likely cheapie options ala Spencer Leniu or the hooking combo of Mitch Kenny/Soni Luke I’m not sure I can see the case for too many early in 2023. Nathan Cleary might be the exception I suppose. Despite injuries and an interrupted preparation Cleary still averaged 80PPG in 2022 and while the early bye hurts, his main contender for ultra-premium HFB Nicho Hynes from the Sharks has a round six bye so that evens things out. New recruit Garner has appeal at his price if he wins the starting spot and Brian To’o is one I’ll be watching closely after injuries limited him at stages in 2022.

DRAGONS
1. Tyrell Sloan 2. Mikaele Ravalawa 3. Moses Suli 4. Zac Lomax 5. Mat Feagai 6. Moses Mbye 7. Ben Hunt 8. Zane Musgrove 9. Jacob Liddle 10. Blake Lawrie 11. Jack Bird 12. Jaydn Su’A 13. Jack de Belin

Bench: 14. Aaron Woods 15. Ben Murdoch-Masila 16. Tyrell Fuimaono 17. Josh Kerr

Casualty ward: Francis Molo (Suspended, Rd 3), Cody Ramsey (Illness, indefinite), Jayden Sullivan (Hamstring, indefinite)

Key positional battle: With Cody Ramsey laid low by illness the fullback job appears to be Tyrell Sloan’s to lose. Talatau Amone may not be available for selection after being charged over an alleged assault. We had pencilled in Jayden Sullivan at five-eighth, but his recent hamstring injury now has Moses Mbye there and no utility on the bench. Jack Bird can also cover five-eighth.

Early KFC SuperCoach winners/losers: Just the one Dragon in Sloan interests me and – that’s conditional on him winning the fullback role. Even then the interest is largely thanks to Sloan being available for just $298,600 rather than any great confidence that he would be someone I would slot into my scoring 17 with great confidence.

RABBITOHS
1. Latrell Mitchell 2. Alex Johnston 3. Isaiah Tass 4. Campbell Graham 5. Izaac Thompson 6. Cody Walker 7. Lachlan Ilias 8. Tevita Tatola 9. Damien Cook 10. Hame Sele 11. Keaon Koloamatangi 12. Jai Arrow 13. Cameron Murray

Bench: 14. Blake Taaffe, 15. Siliva Havili 16. Tom Burgess 17. Davvy Moale

Casualty ward: Taane Milne (Suspension, Rd 2), Liam Knight (Knee, indefinite)

Key positional battle: Taane Milne has opened the door for Izaac Thompson to nab his spot on the right wing, a strong Rd 1 showing may make it hard for Milne to slot back in after serving his suspension. Rather than a battle between Blake Taaffe and Siliva Havili for the utility bench spot I believe they can both fit into the squad with Havili proving he can do a quality job in the middle. That leaves Davvy Moale battling the likes of Jacob Host and Daniel Suluka-Fifita for the final spot on the bench, a battle I believe he leads.

Early KFC SuperCoach winners/losers: A brutal early draw has me shy about forking out $890K for Latrell Mitchell and there are no cheapies I adore so it’s Cam Murray who makes most appeal for me. Murray’s appetite for defensive work makes him an incredibly safe premium 2RF. In the past four seasons he has exceeded 60 points in 70%, 60%, 59% and 70% of games. With around 50PPG of pure base locked in each week to which you can add another 10 or so in power/evasion Murray is sure to give you keeper scores even with tough opposition and should not lose too much money as he helps the Rabbitohs navigate the tough early draw.

KLo30

Leadership Group
AFL Club
North Melb.
ROOSTERS
1. James Tedesco 2. Daniel Tupou 3. Joseph Suaalii 4. Joey Manu 5. Paul Momirovski 6. Luke Keary 7. Sam Walker 8. Matt Lodge 9. Brandon Smith 10. Lindsay Collins 11. Angus Crichton 12. Nat Butcher 13. Victor Radley 14. Drew Hutchison, 15. Jared Waerea-Hargreaves 16. Egan Butcher 17. Fletcher Baker

Casualty ward: Connor Watson (Knee, indefinite), Billy Smith (Knee, indefinite), Sitili Tupouniua (Knee, indefinite)

Key positional battle: The return of Sitili Tupouniua and Billy Smith (both of whom were moving pretty smoothly at training in early January I must note) will put pressure on Nat Butcher and Paul Momirovski. Elsewhere a pretty settled side. Terrell May is pushing Fletcher Baker for the last spot on the bench and a standout from training has been young Siua Wong.

Early KFC SuperCoach winners/losers: While I will almost certainly pick James Tedesco to start the year, and have/am flirting with the likes of Sam Walker and Angus Crichton too, the only Rooster who was locked into my team before I began SOS analysis and will stay regardless of the toughish start to the year is Brandon Smith. Priced under $500K and pretty much locked in for as many minutes as he can handle directing an all-star backline Smith represents terrific value. A must.

WARRIORS
1. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad 2. Dallin Watene-Zelezniak 3. Viliami Vailea 4. Rocco Berry 5. Marcelo Montoya 6. Luke Metcalf 7. Shaun Johnson 8. Addin Fonua-Blake 9. Wayde Egan 10. Tohu Harris 11. Marata Niukore 12. Mitch Barnett 13. Josh Curran

Bench: 14. Dylan Walker 15. Jazz Tevaga 16. Bunty Afoa 17. Jackson Ford

Key positional battle: The fullback/five-eighth battles are far from over. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad may be the club’s best option at fullback but the best combination may be if CNK plays centre leaving fullback for Te Maire Martin. Of course that’s only if Martin does not nab the five-eighth spot from Luke Metcalf. More questions than answers at the moment I’m afraid but that’s to be expected in a club which has so many comings and goings this year including a new coach.

Early KFC SuperCoach winners/losers: As far as cheapies go both Nicoll-Klokstad (whether it be at centre or fullback) and Metcalf (should he jag a start in the halves) both have plenty of appeal with CNK my favoured of the two. But that draw has me looking for some safety elsewhere and so I settle on Tohu Harris. The big man’s 2022 season did not begin until round 10 due to an ACL injury suffered in round 18 of 2021 and while he acquitted himself well on return (playing around 65-70 minutes alternating between edge and lock) he really hit his straps when he moved into the front row rotation for the final eight games of the year. Harris averaged 65PPG while playing big minutes. With a full pre-season under his belt and handy dual-position eligibility, Harris is a legit option to anchor your FRF.

TIGERS
1. Daine Laurie 2. David Nofoaluma 3. Tommy Talau 4. Brent Naden 5. Ken Maumalo 6. Adam Doueihi 7. Luke Brooks 8. David Klemmer 9. Api Koroisau 10. Stefano Utoikamanu 11. John Bateman 12. Isaiah Papali’I 13. Joe Ofahengaue

Bench: 14. Jake Simpkin 15. Fonua Pole 16. Shawn Blore 17. Alex Twal

More Coverage
Cheapie Bible: The positional battle set to define SuperCoachKFC SuperCoaches ready to take on Turbo risk
Key positional battle: Charlie Staines joined from Penrith and he wants Daine Laurie’s fullback job. Fonua Pole and Stefano Utoikamanu are duking it out to see who nabs a starting job alongside the all-star recruits.

Early KFC SuperCoach winners/losers: Five-eighth Adam Doueihi is the pick here for me. Doueihi’s 2022 did not begin until round 15 due to injury and he did not play in his preferred five-eighth position until round 18. In the eight games where he did play five-eighth, Doueihi averaged a very respectable 72PPG. As mentioned above, the Wests Tigers pack of 2023 should be far superior to the pack Doueihi played behind in 2022 and with that boost I expect him to challenge Munster and Brown for the best average at position. Available for $200K less than Munster I have had the Lebanon international locked into my side since the team picker opened.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
NRL Supercoach has worked it's way to position where it deserves it's own yearly thread, so here it is.

20 Team League - SCS NRL 1 (686573)
https://supercoach.heraldsun.com.au/nrl/classic/?action=join-league&code=686573

12 Team League - SCS NRL 2 (398935)
https://supercoach.heraldsun.com.au/nrl/classic/?action=join-league&code=398935

Invites sent to those who participated last season. 18 team league now a 20 team league, and 10 team league now a 12 team league. First in best dressed. Ghost Shipping is unacceptable, so don't join if you can't commit.
In

AFL Club
Brisbane
Nothing that sticks out in regards to injuries. I see a few positional battles that need to go your way, but the nature of the beast at this time of the year.
Thanks. I'll be keeping a watchful eye out.

I want to get good at NRLSC. I watch and listen to a lot. But can't beat listening to those who have been up the pointy end like yourself.

Dolphins member/supporter and have my season tickets to Suncorp, and will get to all Redcliffe games.
I have Dolphins, at this stage 13th-15th, I don't think we'll get the wooden spoon, but there's only one way to go from there if we do 😂

KLo30

Leadership Group
AFL Club
North Melb.
Chemist Warehouse Casualty Ward
NRL.com
Timestamp Tue 24 Jan 2023, 06:30 PM

Brisbane Broncos
  • Payne Haas (ankle, Pre-Season Challenge)
  • Adam Reynolds (leg, Pre-Season Challenge)
  • Kotoni Staggs (shoulder, Pre-Season Challenge)
  • Delouise Hoeter (shoulder, Pre-Season Challenge)
  • Xavier Willison (shoulder, Round 1)
  • Blake Mozer (shoulder, Round 1)
  • Kobe Hetherington (biceps, indefinite)
Canberra Raiders
  • Jarrod Croker (shoulder, Round 1)
  • Harley Smith-Shields (knee, Round 1)
  • Corey Horsburgh (shoulder, Round 1)
  • Adrian Trevilyan (shoulder/knee, mid-season)
Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs
  • Matt Burton (ankle, Pre-Season Challenge)
  • Declan Casey (shoulder, Round 2)
  • Sam Hughes (back, Round 3)
  • Bailey Biondi-Odo (knee, Round 21)
Cronulla Sharks
  • Ronaldo Mulitalo (knee, Pre-Season Challenge)
  • Braden Hamlin-Uele (calf, Pre-Season Challenge)
  • Jack Williams (shoulder, Round 1)
  • Matt Ikuvalu (knee, mid-season)
Dolphins
  • Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow (ankle, Pre-Season Challenge)
  • Brenko Lee (calf, Pre-Season Challenge)
  • Ray Stone (knee, Round 1)
Gold Coast Titans
  • Sam Verrills (shoulder, Pre-Season Challenge)
  • AJ Brimson (groin, Pre-Season Challenge)
  • Patrick Herbert (knee, mid-season)
  • Aaron Booth (knee, mid-season)
  • Brian Kelly (suspended, three games to serve)
Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles
  • Taniela Paseka (knee, Pre-Season Challenge)
  • Ben Trbojevic (shoulder, Pre-Season Challenge)
  • Tom Trbojevic (shoulder, Round 1)
  • Josh Aloiai (knee, Round 1)
  • Reuben Garrick (shoulder, Round 1)
  • Karl Lawton (knee, Round 4-5)
  • Morgan Harper (shoulder, mid-season)
  • Morgan Boyle (foot, mid-season)
  • Jason Saab (knee, mid-season)
  • Alec Tuitavake (knee, mid-season)
Melbourne Storm
  • Dean Ieremia (hamstring, Pre-Season Challenge)
  • George Jennings (knee, Pre-Season Challenge)
  • Tom Eisenhuth (ankle, Pre-Season Challenge)
  • Xavier Coates (hamstring, Round 1)
  • Reimis Smith (pectoral, Round 1)
  • Christian Welch (achilles, Round 1)
  • Tyran Wishart (ankle, Round 1)
  • Ryan Papenhuyzen (knee, indefinite)
Newcastle Knights
  • Leo Thompson (hamstring, Pre-Season Challenge)
  • Lachlan Fitzgibbon (shoulder, Pre-Season Challenge)
  • Kalyn Ponga (calf, Round 1)
  • Bailey Hodgson (elbow, Round 1)
  • Dylan Lucas (pectoral, Round 1)
  • Adam Elliott (pelvis, Round 1)
  • Jack Hetherington (shoulder, Round 1)
  • Mat Croker (suspended, two matches to serve)
North Queensland Cowboys
  • Mitch Dunn (knee, Round 1)
  • Heilum Luki (knee, Round 4-6)
  • Luciano Leilua (no-fault stand down policy)
Parramatta Eels
  • Josh Hodgson (knee, Pre-Season Challenge)
  • Haze Dunster (knee, Round 1)
  • Bailey Simonsson (shoulder, indefinite)
  • Ryan Matterson (suspended, three games to serve)
Penrith Panthers
  • Spencer Leniu (shoulder, Round 1)
  • Izack Tago (shoulder, Round 1)
  • Taylan May (suspended, two games to serve)
South Sydney Rabbitohs
  • Jacob Host (shoulder, Pre-Season Challenge)
  • Liam Knight (knee/shoulder, indefinite)
  • Taane Milne (suspended, one game to serve)
St George Illawarra Dragons
  • Jayden Sullivan (hamstring, Pre-Season Challenge)
  • Mikaele Ravalawa (hamstring, Pre-Season Challenge)
  • Tyrell Fuimaono (elbow, Pre-Season Challenge)
  • Jack de Belin (shoulder, Pre-Season Challenge)
  • Nick Lui-Toso (pectoral, Pre-Season Challenge)
  • Francis Molo (suspended, two games to serve)
  • Cody Ramsey (bowel, indefinite)
  • Talatau Amone (no-fault stand down policy)
Sydney Roosters
  • Connor Watson (knee, TBC)
  • Sitili Tupouniua (knee, mid-season)
  • Billy Smith (knee, mid-season)
  • Angus Crichton (suspended, one game to serve in trials)
Warriors
  • Rocco Berry (toe, Pre-season Challenge)
  • Marcelo Montoya (knee, Round 1)
  • Ronald Volkman (shoulder, Round 1)
  • Bayley Sironen (osteitis pubis, Round 1)
  • Jazz Tevaga (hernia, Round 2-3)
Wests Tigers
  • Tommy Talau (knee, Pre-Season Challenge)
  • Shawn Blore (ACL, Pre-Season Challenge)
  • Alex Seyfarth (pectoral, Pre-Season Challenge)
  • Ken Maumalo (knee, Pre-Season Challenge)

KLo30

Leadership Group
AFL Club
North Melb.
Mine at present with $322K ITB to turn to if the rookies don't show or otherwise use.

1674629992901.png
1674630025897.png
Tommy Turbo certainly in the mix, but with a round 2 bye he may start round 3 to make sure he is right. And with the Cowboys not having a bye in the first 8 games, I've gone with a few to kick off the season.

AFL Club
Sydney
Mine at present with $322K ITB to turn to if the rookies don't show or otherwise use.

Tommy Turbo certainly in the mix, but with a round 2 bye he may start round 3 to make sure he is right. And with the Cowboys not having a bye in the first 8 games, I've gone with a few to kick off the season.
I like your reasoning on starting with some Cowboys, they don't have their 1st bye until Rd 15.

Status
Not open for further replies.