Discussion 2023: Rate My Team

AFL Club
Essendon
Hey mate, that's a lot of dosh sitting on your bench, maybe if you ditched Maginess and Francis you could afford Daicos in the backline?..btw McCasey has stepped away from the game.
Hey mate - yeah the rookies are just place holders but I generally like to build my time with cash in those spots, as it's a lot easier to free up cash going down to cheaper rookies than to break my structure to find cash for the more expensive ones. I often see teams this time of year that are stacked with $102k players and while it looks good to have that extra premium, it's never sustainable!

AFL Club
West Coast
1674608339685.png

Churning through combinations and currently looking at this. Not sure what to make of it. Sometimes I really like it, other times I think it is meh. Rookies are just guess work really. Def -Yeo subject to being fit. Richards to continue with the form from the end of last year. Mids -hoping for Green and Warner to go 110 ish. Hopper a stepping stone and because everyone else will have him. Culley to play in the mids and get time to develop. Rucks- what a horrible year. Witts expensive and not sure how much upside. English one head knock and he is gone for extended weeks based on his concussion history. Cameron in the mix somewhere but is he fully fit? Preseason watch. Forwards- Fyfe only if perfect pre season. Thomas only if he is in the rebounding half back role and his off field escapades don’t cause issues.

AFL Club
Adelaide
Mitchell at M3 is a real risk for mine - makes your midfield look light on. Highest scoring area of the ground, I think you should have 3 super premiums there before going for value mid premiums. One way to fund it would be to drop Richards down to rookie, Worpel up to super premium mid. Having Hopper & Worpel along with Ashcroft being a high priced rookie all in your midfield really takes a decent chunk of your cash - I think you would be better off just having 2 of those 3.
I dont really mind a light midfield, they all come cheaper at some point. If there are good defensive rookies then sure, both right now theres no guaranteed rookies down back let alone ones that look fieldable without being a sub risk.

AFL Club
West Coast
Sitting on this currently, works well for bye structure/ balance :-

Screen Shot 2023-01-25 at 10.23.59 am.png
Defenders
Tossing up between Stewart/Docherty/Dawson/Sicily for D1. Gone for Stewart currently with his ability to go massive & his bye is appealing.

Daicos is such a jet, can see him going 110+ this year

Real risk with Yeo but the can't ignore his scoring potential when fit.

Goater/Ginbey/Wilmot all having great preseasons. Allison a real chance with saints injury issues.

Mids

Gone with Oliver/Miller/Bont as my big 3. Durable/ high ceiling - Bont could really be the one that benefits the most with no Dunkley.

LDU & Green are the 2 value premium mids I like - both coming into their prime, main men in the middle for their teams now.

Hopper offers real value - great stepping stone to say Laird at his bye (tigers bye round 15, crows round 14) - Rookies quite standard.

Rucks

Marshall the only one I really like tbh. Grundy has real upside, with Gawn currently injured I think the bearded god will be eased into the season with Grundy doing most of the rucking. Looked at Cameron for a long time but have real doubts on the pies setup - if just McStay named round 1 no Cox then he appeals but if all 3 named I can't see him scoring high enough.

Forwards

Dunkley/Rozee/Taranto the 3 standouts for me. Cogs the only other one I considered.

Fyfe I really debated about but he is going to be very popular with the masses so if he does start well & you don't have him it could really hurt, so almost safeguarding myself really.

Allen - great job security, the main man post JK.

McLean - standard.

Rookies - JVR is a WA kid with huge talent, Dees need a young key fwd to stand up, I think this kid is the one for the job.Drury getting rave reviews from north training, playing a great role - real chance of round 1.

No doubt many changes to come but happy with this leading into preseason games.

Last edited:
AFL Club
West Coast
Loving the pre-season teams and still working on mine will share soon.

However there's this one guy, an absolute SC pig, you may have heard of him who I am yet to see in a single side.

Lachie Neale, 2015-22 has averaged 104 113 109 112 121 134 100 123. Are we will discounting him because of age? Dunkley effect? something else? For the record I also am not considering him. And I have no idea why.

This probably belongs in the Midfielder discussion so mods feel free to move if so!

AFL Club
Collingwood
Loving the pre-season teams and still working on mine will share soon.

However there's this one guy, an absolute SC pig, you may have heard of him who I am yet to see in a single side.

Lachie Neale, 2015-22 has averaged 104 113 109 112 121 134 100 123. Are we will discounting him because of age? Dunkley effect? something else? For the record I also am not considering him. And I have no idea why.

This probably belongs in the Midfielder discussion so mods feel free to move if so!
He is my latest rendition at M 2. If I recall he had an injury affected preseason last year and started the season accordingly. I don't know how he is going this preseason I admit. In 17% of teams at the moment.

AFL Club
St Kilda
Good to be back! I'm liking the look of this set up at the moment

BACKS : I'm tipping Sicily and Doch to be the top 2 defenders this year. I think Sinclair will get a bit more attention and will be able to pick him up cheaper. Bailey Dale is consistent and durable. There's not too much variance between his best and worst scores, set and forget type. Vlaustin is slightly underpriced with an injury affected game, averaged 103.3 taking that game out. He's capable of the odd monster score and am bullish on him as a pod to get an early kick start.

MIDS : Starting Dunkley in the mids. I've got DPP options up forward in Fyfe, Windhager and McLean to make some earlier jumps to uber mid premos that have price drops. The Tom's (Mitchell and Green) I am tipping both to go 110+ this year with more mid minutes and new team, both priced around 90, there's excellent value there for mine. Macrae I want, but am concerned about limited captain options early having the Bont in there as well. So it's possible Macrae becomes Touk Miller or A Brayshaw.

RUCK : I hope I can hold firm on Darcy. He's my pick for #1 ruck this year. I am picking Jackson forward so I can bring him over to the Ruck line if Darcy were to get injured, then Jackson becomes #1 ruck for Freo. Jackson has shown enough for me to suggest he can be a decent F6 as a secondary ruckman / young forward with natural improvement. I'm going to take a punt on Draper, love the way he goes about it, very talented player. He just needs to get more of the ball. Last year when he was under 10 disposals he averaged 54 (from 11 games) and over 10 touches his average jumped to 91 (11 games). The bombers had an external review where one point raised was lack of fitness so that has been a focus this pre-season and reports I've seen on Draper have been very positive. Added fitness, 4th year with natural improvement, priced at 72 avg, I'll back him in. If it fails I've got enough trades to observe the standout best ruck and trade up.

FORWARD : Personally don't see the love for Taranto in SC format. Fyfe would be nice if he can be a D6 and stay fit, but more so I am planning for some early cash gen and use for early upgrades, same as Windhager and McLean. I don't think not starting Coniglio is going to hurt me too much and there really isn't any forwards I feel I need to have in my team at least early on so I'm prepared to go lighter on this line.

Rookies as always will change around.

1674623768157.png

AFL Club
Richmond
Was tinkering around with formations last night, with the purpose of moving away from Guns & Rookies approach. 36 Trades.

DEF Line most of the Guns are over 600k, soooo expensive. Even though i have Stewart at D1 43% ownership at this time i could still down grade to good pre season prospect around the 500K price point and look to upgrading F4.
D2 #35, its been some time since i have seen a 1st year player look this good. Will hog the kick returns and just float across HB doing what he does best.
D3 Yeo, yes risky but will play midfield and baring injury will go close to 100 average. Give me the first 10 round please.
D4 Clark, horror run with injuries. But with a few years in the system and the saints needing a competitive midfield its time for Clark to shine.
D5 Goater, got one game last year. And didnt he look good
D6 Weddle, could change. Some talk about a wing role.

M1-3 no need to discuss
M4 Green even after Leon left, struggle toward back end of the season, suggesting fitness. Just a mountian of a man that will carry the GWS midfeild this year. Would look fantasic in the Black & White. (LDU pre season watch)
M5 Titch, was obvious last year (SAM) didnt want Titch. Welcome to the Pies.
M6 Hooper dont over think it 105+
M7 Worpel, few shoulder issues last year, but if he gets the role 85+ each week and 150K Yes please
M8 Phillips, over the injuries and has the best Coach in the game to guide him.

RUCKS Had about every option run though this line. But will play a straight bat. Grundy may struggle with the Melbournes style of play, but a good tap ruckman and look who he has around him. HTA yes please. Marshall, well priced for what he can deliver.

F1 Dunkley first pick. Show me the Brownlow
F2 Have gone Rozee over cogs. Still undecided. Cameron for Cover.?
F3 Toranto pure midfield, yes please.
F4 McLean hope he gets the role we all expect.
F5 King spec pick at the moment, will play every week and hope for a few big games in the early rounds.
F6 Sinn at the moment. See which rooks show up.

43K in the bank.
Love the team very similar to mine. No darcy cameron thoughts around this? What are you thinking titch will ave?

AFL Club
Essendon
View attachment 52020

Running with now, all the mid pricer bar hopper I am willing to flick pending preseason roles/form.

Defence; Pick overpriced defenders, risky mid pricers or sub risk/bad js rookie defenders (besides McKenna/Goater). Chosen to pay for Sicily & Dawson, and hope Richards gets more kick ins with Daniel playing midfield. Not too confident in Richards but role should be better and hate everything else. I don't mind paying overs for defenders when I'd just be paying up for mid pricers I don't want anyway.

Midfield: Clarry/Bont C and VC, and Titch for value. If I go a fourth, probably Jack Macrae. Hopper lock. Worpel speculative but done 90+ before, good training reports and should be top 2 for CBAs. Watch for now.

Rucks: Confident in Marshall, even if his role is worse at times, value too hard to pass up and Saints need him to ruck. Considering DC but if he shares with Cox I don't want it. English injury prone but very high ceiling. Sort of want to pivot to Witts.

Fwd: Dunkley and TT locked, Rozee looks great this preseason. Cmac/Flanders training midfield, need to get good CBAs as there's lots of competition. Will look elsewhere if they don't cement role in preseason. Allen received a 40% (***?) discount, great JS but don't think he does 80 without ruck time like a few years ago. Should make 150k.
Agree with downgrading Richards to a rookie like Coffield or someone else and upgrading Worpel. Part of that is I think he’s too high risk for his price, but plenty to to play out there.

Don’t mind CMac pick because someone needs to score mid pts at the Hawks and he has passed the eye test way better than Worpel has recently. Let’s see if he gets a good role because he looked impressive in the small moments he had a go last year.

Flanders I think will improve if he’s getting mid time but if he’s only getting like 40% inside mid and playing wing/HF the rest I wonder what he’ll average because he looked poor in a wing/HF role last year. Suns run a pretty tight mid rotation. Absolutely dominated VFL playing midfield last year but form failed to really translate to a non-midfield role in the AFL

Like the rest of the side but those are queries

FWIW sub risk is a bit overblown, we already had a sub risk last year with players going on and teams are unlikely to sub out a player very early for tactical reasons most of the time in case of injury. We’ll probably cop that at some stage but doubt it will happen a significant numbers of times

Last edited:
AFL Club
Bulldogs
As usual there are plenty of interesting mid-pricers to tempt me, so this is my first shot at cramming them all in for 2023 ($17K itb)

As with everyone else, the bench players are based on what we know or have heard at this early stage & will be changed as and when more pre-season info comes to hand.
SC V1 2023.png
DEF - obviously my weakest line. I can hope that there are 3 keepers in there, but..

MIDS - again I am much lighter here than most of the other teams that have come up so far. Bont & Cripps are still at their top, and I can foresee Smith & Warner reaching the top echelon (hopefully in 2023). I'm looking for Holmes, Hopper & Worpel to score around 95 and if so I'm getting a good bang for my buck there (about 90 free points a week). Potentially these 3 could be interchanged with T. Thomas, J. Berry or Menegola during pre-season fluctuations.

RUCKS - Draper is the one I am most uncertain of - I really expect the other MP's to outperfdorm their prices, but I'm just hoping here. The thinking is that at 24 he is a chance to significantly improve on the 72.5ppg he is priced at..

FWDS - I am investing more on this line and am aiming for 4/5 keepers. I am taking the risk on Dunkley - cant see any scope for improvement and there's the chance (and hope as a Doggies fan) that he doesnt work out as well at Brisbane.

AFL Club
St Kilda
Why aren't you starting Coniglio?

Alternatively: why are you starting Rozee over Coniglio?
Value.
I see plenty of scope for improvement in Rozee with his age (just turned 23), entering his 5th season and should be getting more mid minutes with less fwd rotations this year.

I don't think Cogs is a bad pick, I just don't see him as a starting must have with my structure with a lighter forward set up. The 44k difference in price is a factor as well if you're using it effectively elsewhere.

AFL Club
Collingwood
Love the team very similar to mine. No darcy cameron thoughts around this? What are you thinking titch will ave?
Still Undecided on F2 / F3. Cameron makes me feel more confident as back up for the Ruck. But currently have Rozee.

On Titch, has a point to prove to Sam Mitchell. Will be happy with a 105+ until his bye round then a flip to Touk for the run home.