Opinion 2023: Rookie Roulette

AFL Club
North Melb.
What do you North guys think about Goater and his chances of staying in the team longer term?

@Leroy @Woodsey
Goater has great wheels and can hit up targets. But he can still get a bit lost defensively and also drift right out of the game at times (fairly standard for a rookie really).

I couldn't say about his prospects without hearing a bit more from Clarko.
Are we playing the kids? Then he should be in every week.
Are we going to try most of the combinations on the list? He'll be in and out for Hall and others.
Are we going for best 22 every week? He'll play a few games but I'm not sure he'll perform enough to keep others out of the side completely.

Bit vague sorry!

Last edited:
AFL Club
North Melb.
What do you North guys think about Goater and his chances of staying in the team longer term?
@Leroy @Woodsey
Good to see he is named rd 1 so becomes his spot to lose. If he plays well then I can see him keeping his spot. If he doesn’t then there are some older bodies (Hall + Corr) waiting in the wings.

Pretty similar thoughts to Leroy.
Adds a bit of pace to our back 6 which is severely lacking in that area. I’d say Hall is best 22 but depends on what Clarko wants to do.

With Xerri being named instead of Goldy shows that he has an eye on the future so think you’ll see a few given opportunities this year. At this stage I’ve gone McKenna but have the cash to go up if he plays well. Every chance I might flip on that before tomorrow as well.

AFL Club
Essendon
Goater has great wheels and can hit up targets. But he can still get a bit lost defensively and also drift right out of the game at times (fairly standard for a rookie really).

I couldn't say about his prospects without hearing a bit more from Clarko.
Are we playing the kids? Then he should be in every week.
Are we going to try most of the combinations on the list? He'll be in and out for Hall and others.
Are we going for best 22 every week? He'll play a few games but I'm not sure he'll perform enough to keep others out of the side completely.

Bit vague sorry!
And this is the reason I have no North players in my team. Will spend the next few weeks watching and then hopefully have a good idea who's in 🤞

AFL Club
Sydney
Who is more likely to get subbed: Wilmot or McKenna?
Probably McKenna as a more mature body. *edit: I read less likely. So Wilmot more likely to be subbed the answer to actual question :LOL:

I'd think both would be ahead of Tunstill though and that Robertson and Rayner (especially if playing forward) also strong chances.

If Joyce is the sub, it's far more likely to be the McKenna/Wilmot pairing. If it's Prior or Sharp then it's Tunstill/Robertson/Rayner for mine.