Discussion 2023: Round 1 Teams & In Game Discussion - See page 1 for Teams and Final Subs

AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Having both Jones and Stewart means my backline looks dire. Cowan doesn't help either... maybe going lean down back was the wrong call. 1309/17 with Laird C, Marshall, Green, Fyfe and Mackenzie to come. Would love 1900...

Start moving the magnets mate. We have the rest of the round to set ourselves up for corrections next week. Weak def line looks a failure so far.

AFL Club
West Coast
It would seem I peaked at the NM/WCE game and my Sunday began early from the Lions game onward!

A measly 1582/18.

Gawn my only real winner so far.

Ziebell slightly ahead of par.

Docherty and Taranto at par.

Then Oliver, Neale, Bont, Hopper, Dunkley, Rozee all really poor outcomes.

Throw in a Jones and you've got a proper trainwreck! Got to love that basically every spot that you spent extra cash ended up costing you points on the cheap options :LOL:

Cole, Ginbey, McKenna and Sheezel all feel kind of hollow given most should be starting them anyway and if they're not it's because they structured into stronger picks that have basically all performed outside Stewart.

Ashcroft and Constable not good scores but shouldn't matter.

Jones looks a probable trade, Hopper is very much in the gun.

Oh well, bring on next week, only Coniglio and Laird left that really matters tomorrow and let's just say that my failures today do not have me optimistic :LOL:

Hopefully others are doing much better!
Always great insights mate. Cole is unique at 2%, had consider him given under priced. He previously played a defensive role and looked to have only 15-20 points upside, however, in a weaker eagles side since he is back, maybe that now grows which I had somewhat expected.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, both those lucky enough like me to have Stewart and Jones can now target him, can see why you are feeling flat! ;)

Think you have some winners in Ziebell who will help your defence in round 6, which I expect you went light, Sheezel will help that too. Joined you on Gawn and think he looks good. English no pushover anymore so a good litmus test.

I have the Hoppers, Bruhn and Flanders types which were all meh, think they can come good yet there could be some many alternatives to consider in Ziebell, JHF, Gulden, Chandlers, my only issue is I wish there were more option in defence. Daicos such a challenging call, whilst it looks obvious he gets tagged, not every side has one that suits the role. Eagles, Saints, Hawks probably the few.

Think everyone either has holes in underperforming players or meh bench players (which dont show up in poor scores), question is how much flexibility to trade and what trades are made.

AFL Club
Essendon
Start moving the magnets mate. We have the rest of the round to set ourselves up for corrections next week. Weak def line looks a failure so far.
Think Stewart to ND and Jones to Day might be a goer. Could even do Stewart to ND, Hopper to Callaghan and Jones to a defence premium. Lots to consider...

AFL Club
Carlton
Exert from HS article just posted.

MITCH’S PITCH ON THE HAWKS’ YOUNG TALENT TIME
WILL DAY’S ROLE
“The thing about Will is that we haven’t seen the best of him yet. Consistency and continuity with the makeup of his body has been tough for him. But that will come. He will get a good run at it at some stage. Most of his career he has trained as a defender, but he has trained midfield for the majority of this (preseason). We know he can play as a solid defender and he can also play on a wing. That versatility is important. Hopefully he will be able to show his best football if he can play consistent games in a row and we hope that will be this year.”

JAI NEWCOMBE AND THE HAWKS’ NEW-LOOK MIDFIELD
“Jai is a level headed kind of lad, From a (young) leadership point of view it is quite an even (midfield group), and Jai will play an important part in all that. We have James Worpel, who has had a strong preseason, we have Karl (Amon) on the wing and Harry Morrison had a fantastic year last season. Harry unfortunately hurt himself and has had a bit of an interrupted period, but he isn’t too far away. Their level of driving consistency of performance will be important. There are some young and talented players coming through and the rucks are now all 24, so they are getting to an age where you would expect them to take the next step, not just with their football but with their desire to push the standards.”

CAM MACKENZIE, JOSH WEDDLE AND THE DRAFTEES
“They are all loving it. They are now full-time professional sportsmen with access to the coaches, the physios, the doctors and the nutritionists, with people there to help them. They have actually been amazingly thankful and show a great level of gratitude for the people trying to make them the best possible players they can be. They are holding up their end of the bargain so far, working enormously hard and leaving no stone unturned. Having players who are coached is good, but having players who coach themselves is even better. And both of those guys (Cam Mackenzie and Josh Weddle), along with the other draftees, have had really strong preseasons. Only four players played every game this season, so you would expect there to be some real opportunities this year.”

TYLER BROCKMAN, THE ONLY HAWKS DAD
“Brocky had a later start to the preseason with the arrival of his beautiful little twins. He came back after Christmas and has had a seamless progression. He has produced some really strong footy on limited minutes up until this week. He is not far away. I think the thing about Brocky is that he is loving being a dad and he is loving his footy. He has a smile on his face and he has one of those smiles that is so contagious in a footy club.

RUCK ‘N ROLES
“We were a bit limited last year, obviously with big Benny McEvoy hurting himself and missing the majority of the season. Now we have three 24-year-old ruckmen (former Docker Lloyd Meek, Ned Reeves and Max Lynch) - I think they were all born in the same year (1998) - then Max Ramsden (almost 20) is developing along nicely. We have a fair bit of competition for spots, which is a good thing.”

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Not sure about that, but the key for me is Cole. I took Doch, Jones, Goater, Cole, Gibney, Constable, Wilmot and Cowan, plus Chesser in the mids. Swap Jones to McKenna and the cheap backline is still a go imo.

AFL Club
Essendon
1090/14

Need a solid Sunday to make up this start. Imagine mid-pricers scoring middling scores & not scoring like 2022 Conglio's & Brodie's.

50's from PODs in Bailey Dale & Cunnington pinch, as does Bruhn's although he's slightly higher owned. Hopper I'm not concerned with because everyone has him, but another poor score with poor TOG suggests he doesn't have a tank & he's gone Rd3.

Captain Parish to save the weekend.

AFL Club
Richmond
14/1230 Laird
Gulden 115 :D
Sheezel 114 :love::love:
Doc (VC) 108 😐
Dunkley 108 :confused:
Bont 108 :(
Taranto 103 😐
Rozee 97 :confused:
McKenna 93 :love:
Ginbey 85 :p
Hopper 67 :(
Flanders 64 :(
Bruhn 58 :poop:
Constable 56 :confused:
Ashcroft 55 :(

Laird C, Dawson, Darcy, Green, Marshall, Ridley, Callaghan and Mackenzie to play.

I must admit, I’ve been VERY lucky with my trades after teams came out. Have done as below:
Phillips to Hollands
McLean to Sheezel
Stewart to Ridley
Ziegull to Gulden
Then after Ziegull’s game today I’ve basically locked in Bruhn to him for next week, but needed more cash. So I ‘downgraded’ Jones to McKenna.
Lol we have the exact same team except u have Laird and McKenna vs my Wilson and Jelly

AFL Club
Hawthorn
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yeah I dunno, Russ. The big failure was the 624k guy that delivered 17 points. Even Doc's century was unders.

We got 2 sub-200k guys getting us 85 and 93 while cheap-o sub-premiums in Daicos, Richards and Rioli all easily beat their prices playing some awesome roles. Only Rioli was rarely mentioned over summer as far as I could see and was only picked by 1.9% of the people too (hint hint)

Liam Jones not making it through the game doesn't yet make the cheap-o strategy a fail. Selecting Liam Jones was the fail and for reasons already covered. That he got injured and subbed out by quarter time or whatever saved you weeks of misery.