2023 SC Super Early Planning Thread

Connoisseur

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Reckon I'd still take Cunnington at anything under about 350... Under 300 and he becomes a Cogs level lock.
Depending on the rookie class and other mid price options available, I would be quite happy to bypass Cunnington if priced over $300,000 and possibly $250,000+ as well.

Those expecting numbers similar to 2021 over an extended period will need to temper their expectations.

Historically boasts a below average kick to handball ratio for his position which has meant previously he has been reliant on amassing either thirty disposals or his superb contested game. Only two seasons below a 55% contested possession rate (52% in 2014 and 35.5% in 2022) and eventually this will start to decline. Needs to return to around an average of 25 disposals and 5 tackles to be a longer hold rather than a short term pre bye proposition.

AFL Club
Geelong
Depending on the rookie class and other mid price options available, I would be quite happy to bypass Cunnington if priced over $300,000 and possibly $250,000+ as well.

Those expecting numbers similar to 2021 over an extended period will need to temper their expectations.

Historically boasts a below average kick to handball ratio for his position which has meant previously he has been reliant on amassing either thirty disposals or his superb contested game. Only two seasons below a 55% contested possession rate (52% in 2014 and 35.5% in 2022) and eventually this will start to decline. Needs to return to around an average of 25 disposals and 5 tackles to be a longer hold rather than a short term pre bye proposition.
Cant say Cunnington does a great deal for me personally is interesting how he seems to be all the talk as a bargain next year, I just don't see it unless a ridiculous discount is given we will have Hopper there already and a draft class stacked with quality mids plus the inevitable late bloomers that will bob up after having actually played footy this year, soft tissue injury on the comeback trail this year for Cunners and had a degenerative back concern across 2020 that limited him to 3 games then you add everything that came with his 2 year cancer battle, big ask to expect a 32 year old with his history to go 90-100+ and not miss games along the way IMHO, they also have a deep midfield brigade that needs to be given opportunity to develop under Clarko not sure all the lion share of mid time goes back to Cunnington, wish him all the best and hope I'm wrong though.

Last edited:
AFL Club
Geelong
Cant say Cunnington does a great deal for me personally is interesting how he seems to be all the talk as a bargain next year, I just don't see it unless a ridiculous discount is given we will have Hopper there already and a draft class stacked with quality mids plus the inevitable late bloomers that will bob up after having actually played footy this year, soft tissue injury on the comeback trail this year for Cunners and had a degenerative back concern across 2020 that limited him to 3 games then you add everything that came with his 2 year cancer battle, big ask to expect a 32 year old with his history to go 90-100+ and not miss games along the way IMHO, they also have a deep midfield brigade that needs to be given opportunity to develop under Clarko not sure all the lion share of mid time goes back to Cunnington, wish him all the best and hope I'm wrong though.
Agree, He will need a good preseason and to be fairly cheap for me to consider. sub 350k I think.

AFL Club
Carlton
You were all anti Brodie and didn't start him, right?

I dont see how he isnt priced based on the 100-105 mark and wouldnt be any guarantee to get a favourable discount, Sicily for instance missed a whole year after a 11 game 102 season and was 450K, could easily be priced around the same.
At 2 games and 49 average he should be about 190k. But we know CD won't do that. My guess is 320k

AFL Club
Geelong
At 2 games and 49 average he should be about 190k. But we know CD won't do that. My guess is 320k
Really comes down to what you think he can average with a full pre season under his belt, think its unlikely he's priced below 300K, I see more 80-90 than his previous 100-105 heights, natural regression from his age, lack of football and reduced reliance and opportunity feels inevitable to me.

Really comes down to what you think he can average with a full pre season under his belt, think its unlikely he's priced below 300K, I see more 80-90 than his previous 100-105 heights, natural regression from his age, lack of football and reduced reliance and opportunity feels inevitable to me.
Yes, could easily end up a similar prospect to Rowell.

AFL Club
Geelong
Yes, could easily end up a similar prospect to Rowell.
Hes a 31 and a half year old having to build from the ground up really, his fitness base was a mile off the level in his two games this year, just think people need to hedge their expectations on what hes going to be capable of delivering these days.

AFL Club
Adelaide
Cunnington
+8 season of 90+, 3 of those of 100+
+Inside mid
+High ceiling (6 scores above 125 in 2021)
+Underpriced

- 31yo
- Did a calf this year, back issues 2020.
- Mid time? Didn't play with Greenwood, plus Simpkin, LDU, Thomas, JHF, Phillips, Powell

Assuming he ticks the boxes in preseason, 400k I'll pass, 300 I'll likely pick. In between I'll ponder. When high owned, underpriced players go really well (Cripps, Sicily, Hewett) its a long road back not owning. Will be an important one to monitor.

Last edited:
AFL Club
West Coast
Toby McLean looks he would be a cheap option next year. Any ideas on position and $
FINALS BOLTER
Toby McLean (Western Bulldogs). Estimated price: $199,000 FWD/MID
Did we just see the bargain of 2023? McLean had dropped totally off the radar after suffering two ACL injuries in as many years, restricting him to three games in 2021 and none this year until he was recalled to the Dogs’ line-up for their elimination final. He quickly reminded us why he has been a successful KFC SuperCoach pick in the past, racking up nine touches in the first quarter on the way to 21 for the game – plus nine tackles – and 100 KFC SuperCoach points. Back in 2018 McLean was one of the best starting picks of the season, averging 111 over the first 10 rounds (and finishing with a 95 average). That’s a long time ago and the Dogs’ midfield is set for a post-season shake-up, but at a rookie price the 26-year-old will be getting a lot more attention from fantasy coaches this summer.

AFL Club
Geelong
If Fiorini ends up at the Pies he'll be one I'll take at low $300ks I reckon. Collingwood aren't the greatest SC scoring side but this bloke averaged 162 in the vfl this season.
Believe he's injured currently so will be interested to hear an update on that but he's one Ive had my eye on for years, way too good for VFL and from Round 16-23 in 2021 he averaged 107, could be one of the bargains of the season very easily with opportunity.

AFL Club
Essendon
We thinking Jacob Hopper and Tim Taranto are good options with them both moving to Richmond?

Not the greatest destination to land as they are not traditionally a high premium scoring team.

Also interesting to see what it means at the other end of things with GWS.

Tom Green and Harry Perryman are the ones that stand out to me but all depends what mix Adam Kingsley wants.

AFL Club
Geelong
We thinking Jacob Hopper and Tim Taranto are good options with them both moving to Richmond?

Not the greatest destination to land as they are not traditionally a high premium scoring team.

Also interesting to see what it means at the other end of things with GWS.

Tom Green and Harry Perryman are the ones that stand out to me but all depends what mix Adam Kingsley wants.
Kinda preferred their prospects if they ended up at different teams, just so many guys to run through one midfield now, will be having a look over the pre season personally.