2023: SC Planning Thread

Darkie

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Collingwood
I am hoping he is worth it. Pick 27, Future 2nd and Future 3rd for Pick 18 seems a lot to give up. Holding off on judgement until I see him in action, I have heard some good things about him. Might mean a few position changes with so many defenders?
Hopefully not Sicily!

It is a pretty big price Hawthorn have paid, although I get the impression that Mitchell knows what he is doing.

Goodie's Guns

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Not sure why Hawthorn did their trade with Sydney just to draft another defender who they seem to have a fair few of.
I am hoping he is worth it. Pick 27, Future 2nd and Future 3rd for Pick 18 seems a lot to give up. Holding off on judgement until I see him in action, I have heard some good things about him. Might mean a few position changes with so many defenders?
Hopefully not Sicily!

It is a pretty big price Hawthorn have paid, although I get the impression that Mitchell knows what he is doing.
When we traded up I expected us to go with either Ed Allan, or the injured Brayden George. Really rate Weddle, was just as surprised as everyone when we went with him given he’s played mainly as a defender. I do wonder if we envisage moulding him into a midfielder, which he does have the scope for I believe, but will be an interesting watch. Maybe it’s Will Day who gets the full time shift out of defence and to a wing/midfield role with some continuity of footy.

Last edited:
AFL Club
Collingwood
So after the draft who is the best mature age recruit for Supercoach and his likely position
I'm not sure about the best mature age rookies from the draft but I like the following players that may have a chance to get early games in 2023 - Ashcroft, Sheezel, Wardlaw, Tsatsas, McKenzie, Ginbey and Phillipou (maybe Allen for Pies). Mind you the re-inrtoduction of the bull**** sub rule may have a major impact on some of these kids playing and making money for us???

AFL Club
Essendon
Pencil in for DEF rookie spot (unless Will Gould gets up :p)

Ethan Phillips
Key defender, Port Melbourne

Draft range: 40+

The VFL’s best young player award has been a golden ticket into the AFL, and Phillips is set to become the 16th consecutive recipient of the Fothergill-Round-Mitchell Medal to make it onto an AFL list. Phillips broke the VFL intercept possession record held by Sam Collins (2018), averaging a whopping 11.5 per game and his 5.1 intercept marks per game ranked second overall to Collins’ numbers. Interestingly, this season from Collins earnt him his second AFL shot with Gold Coast which he has taken with both hands. Borough coach Adam Skrabalak sees similarities in Collins and Sydney revelation Paddy McCartin in Phillips with his ability to read the play and clunk intercept marks. With tall defenders in short supply, the 23-year-old shapes as a ready-made option at the draft – and at least three clubs are in the hunt.
Another one to keep an eye on

Harvey Gallagher
Defender/forward, Bendigo Pioneers/Vic Country

Draft range:30-50

After missing out in both last year’s draft and the mid-season intake, a stunning finish to the season in the NAB League behind the ball has seen him surge back into draft calculations. So much so that he could be the first Pioneer taken on draft night. The 19-year-old amassed 33.2 disposals, 6.8 score involvements, 158.5 ranking points :eek: and kicked seven goals across six NAB League games in the role, with his elite work rate, vision and forward half impact catching the eye. The cherry on top of his overage year was recording three top-five finishes at the state combine last month in the 2km time trial (equal fifth, 6:27), vertical jump (second nationally, 80cm) and running vertical jump (89cm). Thoroughly deserving of an AFL shot.
Gallagher picked up by the Dogs at 39 so will be base priced. Probably gonna be difficult to break into the Dogs lineup playing that lucrative HB role that shot him into draft contention so not sure about SC viability at this point but definitely a player to target for legacy draft leagues.

Unfortunately Phillips missed out in the main draft but hopefully he gets picked up in the rookie draft today.

AFL Club
Collingwood
With the draft being completed is there any word of when Supercoach will open for 2023? Or will they wait for the fixture to come out 1st?

Darkie

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Collingwood
With the draft being completed is there any word of when Supercoach will open for 2023? Or will they wait for the fixture to come out 1st?
Last year it was 5 Dec, although it’s a good point about the fixture.

The AFL seem to manage the flow of news to not allow cricket (or other sports) to have the headlines to themselves for long, so perhaps the World Cup, or Australia’s progress in it, could have an impact?

Philzsay

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Essendon
First ROUND FIXTURE.

ROUND ONE, 2023
Thursday, March 16
Richmond v Carlton, MCG, 7.20pm AEDT, Seven

Friday, March 17
Geelong v Collingwood, MCG, 7.40pm AEDT, Seven

Saturday, March 18
North Melbourne v West Coast, Marvel Stadium, 1.45pm AEDT, Fox
Port Adelaide v Brisbane, Adelaide Oval, 4.05pm ACDT, Fox
Melbourne v Western Bulldogs, MCG, 7.25pm AEDT, Seven
Gold Coast v Sydney, Metricon Stadium, 7.00pm AEST, Fox

Sunday, March 19
Greater Western Sydney v Adelaide, Giants Stadium, 1.10pm AEDT, Fox
Hawthorn v Essendon, MCG, 3.20pm AEDT, Seven
St Kilda v Fremantle, Marvel Stadium, 4.40pm AEDT, Fox

Darkie

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Collingwood
First ROUND FIXTURE.

ROUND ONE, 2023
Thursday, March 16

Friday, March 17

Saturday, March 18

Sunday, March 19
Some good matchups in the first round!

AFL Club
West Coast
First ROUND FIXTURE.

ROUND ONE, 2023
Thursday, March 16

Friday, March 17

Saturday, March 18

Sunday, March 19
No Wednesday night game, hallelujah.

AFL Club
West Coast
Tim Taranto put his massive engine to good use at Punt Road on Monday as he reeled in Kamdyn McIntosh in the club’s 2km time trial.
Taranto gave McIntosh a 50m lead in the first of five laps but the former GWS onballer slowly pulled on the chain until he caught, and then passed, McIntosh.
As the Richmond senior players all assembled for the first time, he stopped the clock at 6:13 minutes in the time trial to best wingman McIntosh by 15m.