2023: SC Planning Thread

AFL Club
St Kilda
Would consider English if he is R/F again. And see where Grundy is! Along with Gawn, is Jackson still his number 2? and Darcy.
Daicos would be M/D again wouldn't he? At $557k I'd grab him.
Would only try and use 2 boosts if available before the byes, 1 or 2 during the byes to finish upgrades, then hold 1 or 2 for later in the season if playing for league finals but if your playing for overall you'd go hard early wouldn't you?
The less correction trades done at the beginning of the season like every year sets you up!
But the 5 extras trades no matter how used definitely made life easier to navigate the season. Will they remain?
Rory Sloane could be a nice starter?

AFL Club
Carlton
Would consider English if he is R/F again. And see where Grundy is! Along with Gawn, is Jackson still his number 2? and Darcy.
Daicos would be M/D again wouldn't he? At $557k I'd grab him.
Would only try and use 2 boosts if available before the byes, 1 or 2 during the byes to finish upgrades, then hold 1 or 2 for later in the season if playing for league finals but if your playing for overall you'd go hard early wouldn't you?
The less correction trades done at the beginning of the season like every year sets you up!
But the 5 extras trades no matter how used definitely made life easier to navigate the season. Will they remain?
Rory Sloane could be a nice starter?
$557k would be a season average of 102, he won't get to that, he would need to average close to 133 for the rest of the season for that to happen.

AFL Club
Sydney
I don't agree with this. I think even using a trade boost for corrections post round 2 if there are glaring errors in your starting side is beneficial. For example, if one didn't have Brodie start of this season and needed to correct a rookie and also get in someone like Hewett, using a boost to correct that would have yielded far more long term gains than being conservative and waiting to use one in the byes.
100% agree, I burned mine by round 10 and honestly I think I more likely went too late than too early, especially in a season as easy as this one. Simple fact is that if I'd used one in round 3 to fix Sicily for either of my Ridley or Whitfield mistakes I'd have had a much better season. Especially as trying to paper around that crack has caused many of my worst trades this year.

Holding them is just the law of diminishing returns. Ridley to Sicily, at it's most basic level, was a 549 point trade so far that generated cash towards the first upgrade. Covering a donut this week was maybe 110 if you're lucky, personally I covered Rich and Oliver with Daicos and Rozee so would have been very hard to beat that with two trades this week and far more likely I'd have lost points trying!

The starting sides are so vanilla now that missing a Sicily or a Brodie is season ending, the best trades you can make all season will be closing those extreme negative PODs.

AFL Club
Collingwood
I don't agree with this. I think even using a trade boost for corrections post round 2 if there are glaring errors in your starting side is beneficial. For example, if one didn't have Brodie start of this season and needed to correct a rookie and also get in someone like Hewett, using a boost to correct that would have yielded far more long term gains than being conservative and waiting to use one in the byes.
I think strategic use of trades has always been the key to SC, and the boosts just added to that.
Me personally, I used mine in the following rounds:
Rd 7: Unexpected Grundy injury, didn't want it to ruin my planned trades.
Rd 10: Steele injury, see above.
Rd 13: Bye tactics
Rd 14: Bye tactics

Am still holding one, 6 trades left and have moved into 98th spot overall.

Of course it depends on your squad. I got lucky with my starting picks/rookies and didn't have to chase too many. I would have advocated for early aggressive trades to correct rookies pre-round 3 for sure.
Will be interesting for everyone to do a trade analysis at the end, I'll bet many are regretting wasting (I'd guess) 5-10 trades for 'flavour of the months' or chasing last week's points.

AFL Club
Sydney
I think strategic use of trades has always been the key to SC, and the boosts just added to that.
Me personally, I used mine in the following rounds:
Rd 7: Unexpected Grundy injury, didn't want it to ruin my planned trades.
Rd 10: Steele injury, see above.
Rd 13: Bye tactics
Rd 14: Bye tactics

Am still holding one, 6 trades left and have moved into 98th spot overall.

Of course it depends on your squad. I got lucky with my starting picks/rookies and didn't have to chase too many. I would have advocated for early aggressive trades to correct rookies pre-round 3 for sure.
Will be interesting for everyone to do a trade analysis at the end, I'll bet many are regretting wasting (I'd guess) 5-10 trades for 'flavour of the months' or chasing last week's points.
Most of my trades went on rucks, literally, 11 of my trades were ruck related and that's despite none of them involving English who I've had all season as "cover"... Still feels like my rucks have gone better than last year!

I've actually traded quite well this year, most of my mistakes were actually sitting on trades, which was a concerted effort that I will not make again (my instinct is better than patience!). Not going for Cameron, not fixing Whitfield and Ridley, not fixing Sicily, not grabbing Witts until way too late were all wanting to hold trades, ironically all of those decisions actually cost me trades in the long run. There's also the compounding error of trying to chase those mistakes and fix them which leads to weaker trade targets being needed later on.

AFL Club
Richmond
He wants to play on next year but he'll be 35, not sure that's the best choice for the club going forward, I'd rather see a young backup ruck come through and save that money for a better midfielder or two. Hayes should be back next year also.
Marshall and Hayes is the way forward for saints. And despite what the media says about him being their most important player Ryder doesn't get it done consistently enough anymore imo, not even factoring in that he's now missed 9, 10 and 10 games in the last 3 years

AFL Club
St Kilda
I'll just make a bit of a list for consideration here so I don't have to write it down on paper and lose it somewhere.....
Hayden Young, Keidean Coleman, Chad Warner, Mason Redman, Tom Atkins, Jai Newcombe, maybe Matt Crouch if he ends up at the Saints?
Too many speculative picks never ends well so it'll probably only be a few of these guys.
Rucks will be a tough one next year, set and forget is dead.

AFL Club
Collingwood
A reference for me for 2023:

Never again: Cripps, Heeney, Butters, Ridley, Whitfield, Short, Crisp.

Locks: Stewart, Sinclair, Steele. Maybe Oliver and Touk.
Wait what do you mean

Cripps dropped slightly in form but isnt what he was last year

Short and Crisp are similar in their scoring. U pay for consistency of games with them, not their scoring
And Heeney hes never been good past the firdt half of the season?

AFL Club
West Coast
A reference for me for 2023:

Never again: Cripps, Heeney, Butters, Ridley, Whitfield, Short, Crisp.

Locks: Stewart, Sinclair, Steele. Maybe Oliver and Touk.
Heeney is the 7th highest ranked fwd for the year, averaging 99 a game before this round (Scored 104 yesterday) at a starting price of 454K. He will be certainly under consideration for me again next year, love watching him play.