2023: SC Planning Thread

AFL Club
Geelong
2022 isn't finished yet but for many of us who chase overall it is. If you are still in the race congrats, if you are not, this thread is for you...

1. Who are your early locks?
Guys you consider will either bounce back (form wise or from injury) or players you just consider great value going into 2023.

2 Breakout contenders you will consider or players who have had a roll change you think can go on with it.

3. Whatever the hell you wanna talk about for 2023 ;)

AFL Club
Hawthorn
I'm actually considering doing something a bit different with my team in 2023, and as such, no locks as yet. I'll try something similar in the Big Bash, where I traditionally just play for fun, and if that works well, will probably give it a go in AFL.

As for breakouts/value picks, I know from the MPM comp, there have been some real improvers this year. Warner (Syd), Redman (Ess) and Newcombe (Haw) are some from that comp who should have a bit of growth potential next year. I can never call breakouts though - I chose none of these 3 this year, so won't even try to pick any. :ROFLMAO:

Definitely interested in others thoughts, I think I need to listen to people here a bit more often, as that is where I have done better this year, rather than my own selections. :)

Connoisseur

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
2022 isn't finished yet but for many of us who chase overall it is. If you are still in the race congrats, if you are not, this thread is for you...

1. Who are your early locks?
Guys you consider will either bounce back (form wise or from injury) or players you just consider great value going into 2023.

2 Breakout contenders you will consider or players who have had a roll change you think can go on with it.

3. Whatever the hell you wanna talk about for 2023 ;)
Enjoyed running with a cheap forward line for the past few seasons and plan to once again for the third/fourth (cannot recall exactly) season running with only one player starting above $450,000 on that line. Could feature the likes of K Lambert, W Phillips and E Hollands, dependent on pricing. :unsure:

AFL Club
North Melb.
Early days people gee whiz :LOL:

The biggest thing for me after having a 'blind' run at it this year is to plan better IF they keep the new rule changes (extra trades, trade boost, DPP changes).

I think it makes the Ruck and Forward lines a lot more interesting. Premiums coming in from the midfield; rucks out of position getting F DPP (Goldy) etc.

Makes searching for value a la Connoisseur a lot more enticing :unsure:

AFL Club
West Coast
The last 2 years have shown that going cheap in the fwd line to start with is the best policy so you can load up on the other lines.

As @Connoisseur has mentioned above, the likes of Phillips, Hollands (I am actually hoping he doesn't debut this year myself/stay cheap :p), maybe Lambert if fit along with maybe Ben King pending his preseason certainly look potentially appealing cheap fwd options. Oscar Allen another who has not played all year so will be cheap, with Kennedy retiring he then becomes Darling's key fwd partner.

Ben Cunnington if he fully recovers could be next year's Docherty - underrated midfield gun who will be cheap.

Another one I will be tracking Campbell Chesser, was right in line for a debut round 1 before ankle injury. Def/mid classification, club sees him as a future wingman so would have a lucrative SC role next year.

Rebounding defenders like Dawson, Stewart, Sinclair & Sicily are just SC gold/ worth paying the premium at the start.

Load up on the super premo midfielders - Neale, Oliver, Macrae, Laird & Miller. Can't skimp on the elite mids, Sam Walsh I think joins that group pending a full preseason next year.

Rucks .... who knows :LOL: Look for value & pray lol.

D8 spot to be filled by Will Gould automatically until further notice :p

AFL Club
Geelong
The last 2 years have shown that going cheap in the fwd line to start with is the best policy so you can load up on the other lines.

As @Connoisseur has mentioned above, the likes of Phillips, Hollands (I am actually hoping he doesn't debut this year myself/stay cheap :p), maybe Lambert if fit along with maybe Ben King pending his preseason certainly look potentially appealing cheap fwd options. Oscar Allen another who has not played all year so will be cheap, with Kennedy retiring he then becomes Darling's key fwd partner.

Ben Cunnington if he fully recovers could be next year's Docherty - underrated midfield gun who will be cheap.

Another one I will be tracking Campbell Chesser, was right in line for a debut round 1 before ankle injury. Def/mid classification, club sees him as a future wingman so would have a lucrative SC role next year.

Rebounding defenders like Dawson, Stewart, Sinclair & Sicily are just SC gold/ worth paying the premium at the start.

Load up on the super premo midfielders - Neale, Oliver, Macrae, Laird & Miller. Can't skimp on the elite mids, Sam Walsh I think joins that group pending a full preseason next year.

Rucks .... who knows :LOL: Look for value & pray lol.

D8 spot to be filled by Will Gould automatically until further notice :p
Agree with most of your thoughts.

But, I have found that defenders that get that rebounding/kicking out/intercepting role part way through a season (there are usually a couple per year lately) are gold, as good as getting dpp changes to the fwds I reckon. So I also will be wary of over stacking that line too next year.

AFL Club
Sydney
Will go the same approach but a bit harder.

Cheap forwards, too many changes to try and pick anything but lock starting picks. Will look for forwards who go to rebounding defender positions or midfield, no interest in a Heeney type who will be forward and thus cheap for the whole season basically because you just can't beat the best defenders every week even as an elite forward.

Mids I think I'll pay up in this area, it's the one area where they consistently perform, yes you can find value on most of them but the consistency is too valuable.

Backs I'll hunt value also but I wont venture too far. It's hard to read if the super premium scoring of Sicily, Sinclair, Stewart, Dawson and Doch is genuine or if it's just been one of those years, going to be really hard to pay up for them though, imo, the history of defenders sustaining that kind of scoring is basically non-existent.

Have narrowed down very few options yet as breakout guys. Himmelberg the most obvious if he keeps FWD and the defender role. Zorko and Hall would both be on perfect preseason watch, a flawless preseason would make Green and Rowell very interesting. Lot of interesting ruck decisions ahead.

Will definitely be looking for value more than ever, especially those bargain guys, will also try and hold them longer after a few of my worst moves of the season were trading too early on them.

Will continue to trade for value but next year I'm definitely committing more to in season breakout role changes. Last two seasons have basically been doomed by not getting on Cameron and Hall types, basically you need to get them and ride them and take the risk.

Also will learn the Sicily lesson, I'm still not sure how he actually didn't end up in my final team but not correcting to him was just stubborn stupidity and you just can't avoid those "lock" type players, my season ended at round 1 and was cemented in round 3 when I stubbornly stuck with Ridley instead of him.

Will also desperately try to avoid the need to try and spend every dollar on the starting team, as I know it was the cause of several of my worst decisions...

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Think I’m going to have to better at not taking on injured players. Starting Hall and buying Zorko…I’m remembering you.

I’ll be looking closely at the Geelong mids, surely some of them have qualified for gold card, leaving a void of opportunity. If Ceglar is back I’ll avoid Blicavs, as much fun as the DPP link is this year.

Rucks, set and forg…..ery

Forwards. Must leave space for DPPs.

I will maintain an open mind on value picks, with a high level of skepticism, even with extra trades they can kill ya season.