Competitions 2024: AFL Lock & Load

AFL Club
North Melb.
Unfortunately, after several years of stellar service, @Beijing_Sting won’t be able to run the lock and load comp this year with other real life matters (understandably) needing to take priority. Therefore I am stepping up to the plate and will run it this year continuing on the tradition started by @doc ron in 2018.

The fundamentals of the comp will be the same; primary squad of 30 (8 Def, 11 Mid, 3 Ruc, 8 Fwd), $10M Salary cap, no trading; however I will be changing it up a bit and implementing some new ideas. For example:
  • The comp will start in opening round so at least 1 comp gives you skin in the first 4 games.
  • Weekly scores will be the best 18 scores rather than best 16 (except in opening round).
  • Emergencies will be selected that will replace non-playing players in your squad of 30 when required.
I am still working out the finer details and need to setup the input forms but will share all those details as soon as I can.

If you would like to play again this year then please post in this thread.

Rules for 2024
  • Primary list of 30 comprising 8 Defs, 11 Mids, 3 Rucs & 8 Fwds (unchanged)
  • A reserve list of 2 Defs, 3 Mids, 1 Ruc & 2 Fwds (new)
    • Reserves will replace an injured or dropped player on your primary list
    • The replacement player will be the highest priced reserve that is cheaper than the missing player however they will not replace a bye player. (See rationale and explanation below).
  • $10M Salary Cap (unchanged)
  • No trading (unchanged)
  • Highest scoring player each week will be deemed the captain and score double points (unchanged)
  • Weekly score
    • In a standard round of 9 game the highest 18 scores will count towards the weekly total. (new)
    • This will pro-rate down during any bye round; which means the number of counting players will be double the number of games in any given round. For example opening round has 4 games so it will be top 8 players. (new)
  • The winning team will be the one that achieves the highest aggregate score over the 24 rounds of the season. Depending on the number of entries I may add some additional side competitions.
  • The competition starts in opening round and deadline for entries is the first bounce of the first game which is on Thursday 7th March (2 weeks from today).
Reserves explanation
The inclusion of reserves this year is an attempt to try and ensure that all teams can maintain something like a full playing and competitive list of 30 for the whole season without compromising the lock and load nature of the comp. Any player can be nominated as a reserve however my thinking was that they would probably be a premium or near premium player who could replace injured premiums in your primary list. Non-playing rookie priced players are not likely to feature in your top scorers very often so have less of an impact on the competitiveness of your team. Note however that a primary list player can only be replaced by a cheaper player from the reserve list so there is a bit of strategy required in determining who an appropriate reserve might be for your team. Finally the decision to disallow replacements for bye players was so reserve selections are not motivated by bye coverage.

Selection Form
The link is below however please note there are no validations in the form regarding the number of selections, salary cap, picking the same player twice, etc. so those things will need to be managed outside the form. I will check that teams are compliant prior to the first game.

Lock & Load Selections

Happy to take any queries for anything that is unclear. Good luck and enjoy.

Last edited:
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Thanks for taking this on.

I'll likely give it a go again, if I'm not flat out in the lead up to OR.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Unfortunately, after several years of stellar service, @Beijing_Sting won’t be able to run the lock and load comp this year with other real life matters (understandably) needing to take priority. Therefore I am stepping up to the plate and will run it this year continuing on the tradition started by @doc ron in 2018.

The fundamentals of the comp will be the same; primary squad of 30 (8 Def, 11 Mid, 3 Ruc, 8 Fwd), $10M Salary cap, no trading; however I will be changing it up a bit and implementing some new ideas. For example:
  • The comp will start in opening round so at least 1 comp gives you skin in the first 4 games.
  • Weekly scores will be the best 18 scores rather than best 16 (except in opening round).
  • Emergencies will be selected that will replace non-playing players in your squad of 30 when required.
I am still working out the finer details and need to setup the input forms but will share all those details as soon as I can.

If you would like to play again this year then please post in this thread.
Thanks buddy. Appreciate it, and thanks to Beijing Sting for his tremendous efforts. May even get around to putting a squad in this season.

AFL Club
North Melb.
Friendly reminder that the Lock and Load comp starts in a week and I have only received 2 entries so far. I fully understand that, given most will be waiting until the end of the Community Series game to pick their team (I sure am). However given most won't be finalising their Classic Team until they have seen the opening round matches I would encourage people to start looking at there L&L team from Sunday.