Analysis 2023 AFL SC: Rolling Perfect Team [Post #242 onwards]

AFL Club
North Melb.
I was planning to use this team in my starting team comparison thread, to see if starting Rd 2 with the best team from Rd 1 can still get you a good result and picked up an error. Tom Lynch (Adelaide) didn't score 155, he scored 112. It looks like you have added the other Tom Lynch (Richmond) score of 43 onto his score as well.

Is there any chance you could rerun this to find the actual best Rd 1 team? I think it might not even change looking at the forward scores from Rd 1. Thanks.

Edit: Love this topic BTW, always find it really enjoyable seeing how far off perfection I am.
Good pick up. That’s embarrassing.

The Tom Lynch’s are named identically in footywire so I always have to manually rename one and I forgot. I will rerun and repost.

AFL Club
North Melb.
Maximum score after 2 rounds 5805 (avg 2903) which compares to the current leader who has 4749 (avg 2375). Note this version allows the cheap bench doughnut.

To those that haven't seen this before the red represents the trade out and the green the trade in.

1617277899085.png

Edit: Black cell means that player was not part of the team in that position in that week.

Last edited:
AFL Club
Hawthorn
This is the max score without starting cheap bench doughnuts.

View attachment 28023
Sells Mills, Lever but keeps Dunkley despite not using his score...do you know something about rnd 3 that I don't? Doesn't appear to be plenty of spare cash....

EDIT: dammit. Dunkley in Mids. As you were, nice work, carry on!

Hmmm...but it does include Titch over Macrae who is cheaper but scored the same :p linear programing 1: me 1. Actually 5797:4415 ;-)

Last edited:
AFL Club
North Melb.
Sells Mills, Lever but keeps Dunkley despite not using his score...do you know something about rnd 3 that I don't? Doesn't appear to be plenty of spare cash....

EDIT: dammit. Dunkley in Mids. As you were, nice work, carry on!

Hmmm...but it does include Titch over Macrae who is cheaper but scored the same :p linear programing 1: me 1. Actually 5797:4415 ;-)
Sorry don't understand your point re Titch and Macrae. They didn't score the same over the 2 weeks. Macrae actually scored higher over the 2 weeks but isn't selected because he is more expensive.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Maximum score after 2 rounds 5805 (avg 2903) which compares to the current leader who has 4749 (avg 2375). Note this version allows the cheap bench doughnut.

To those that haven't seen this before the red represents the trade out and the green the trade in.

View attachment 28021
Chugg must be good to make the team twice! I know that it can work with any base priced rookies being used, I'm guessing he was included so that DPP options could be used to enable these trade outs (i.e. 2 defs were traded for a def and a mid), but you would need to change him on one of the lines.

AFL Club
North Melb.
Maximum score achievable up to round 4 is 11,197 (avg 2799) and compares to the current leader who has 9,279 (avg 2320).

Players who have been on field every round makes for interesting reading; Ridley, Bowes, Macrae, Guthrie, Selwood, Hickey, Walker & Warner. Probably only 1 or 2 of those is not a massive surprise.

1618321497915.png

AFL Club
North Melb.
Maximum score achievable up to round 5 is 13,753 (avg 2781) and compares to the current leader who has 11,483 (avg 2297).

Neale traded in this week. :rolleyes:

View attachment 28951
I love watching the evolution of this side. Giving it is going for optimal only to this point in the season there is absolutely no incentive not to use all the trades and flick players around like crazy. But each week it's get more settled on who the best keepers were to have in your team from the start, even if they delivered lower scores over some of the earlier rounds.

Hence why this is the first time we have Gawn in the team and it turns out you should have actually had him in since R2! I can even see that in future weeks it will have been better to just start him rather than spin a trade to get Boak's 160 in R1 only to swap him for Gawn in R2. That trade will probably be worth more that 60pts somewhere later in the season.

AFL Club
North Melb.
I love watching the evolution of this side. Giving it is going for optimal only to this point in the season there is absolutely no incentive not to use all the trades and flick players around like crazy. But each week it's get more settled on who the best keepers were to have in your team from the start, even if they delivered lower scores over some of the earlier rounds.

Hence why this is the first time we have Gawn in the team and it turns out you should have actually had him in since R2! I can even see that in future weeks it will have been better to just start him rather than spin a trade to get Boak's 160 in R1 only to swap him for Gawn in R2. That trade will probably be worth more that 60pts somewhere later in the season.
Yes I agree & I love it too !
Josh Bruce traded in for one week, made captain, dropped. :LOL:

Love it
Thanks for your observations gents.

Nice to see that a few do study this team a bit. It will now starting taking more than just a few minutes to solve. Hopefully I will be able to continue to post it each week but it does depend a bit on finding time to do it.

Last edited: