Competitions AFL Fantasy Trading Comp

Diabolical

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Essendon
Have you ever wanted to have some fun testing your trading skills against your fellow SuperCoach addicts?

If your answer is ‘yes’, then this could be the comp for you!

I know your SuperCoach teams are precious, so this competition will be played on the AFL Fantasy platform.

The idea is that every team in the competition will be identical in Round 1. All teams will be required to start the same 22 players on field, have the same Captain and Vice Captain, and the same players and Emergencies on the bench.

After the completion of Round 1, there are no rules. Just trade your own way through the season to see if you can claim bragging rights as this seasons best SCS trader!

Since this is a trading competition, it won’t matter what our starting team looks like. However, we are a competitive bunch here at SCS, so I am sure we will want to be starting from a solid base. Therefore, everyone who is in the competition will get to have a say in the structure and make up of the starting team. Stephen, who has a solid fantasy record across platforms and sports, has kindly accepted responsibility to take the lead and provide the casting vote if we are split on decisions or just need the final pieces fitted into the starting team.

This will be a free competition. All it will cost you is your commitment to set your AFL Fantasy team to the agreed lineup. Note - you will stand out if you don’t because all teams in the league should have an identical score after Round 1!

A league will be established once we gain a sense of numbers.

If you want to be part of this, please register your interest in this thread. We will nut out the finer nuts and bolts between us over the coming weeks.

Entries so far:
1. Diabolical
2. Stephen
3. Darkie
4. Tails
5. IDIG
6. Deeman1
7. Connoisseur
8. Brisbane Lions
9. Rowsus
10. Bomber18
11. Presto
12. KLo30
13. Hot Shame
14. jaca
15. Doc Ron
16. Goodie's Guns
17. Herbie66
18. Hogan's Heroes

Last edited by a moderator:
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Have you every wanted to have some fun testing your trading skills against your fellow SuperCoach addicts?

If your answer is ‘yes’, then this could be the comp for you!

I know your SuperCoach teams are precious, so this competition will be played on the AFL Fantasy platform.

The idea is that every team in the competition will be identical in Round 1. All teams will be required to start the same 22 players on field, have the same Captain and Vice Captain, and the same players and Emergencies on the bench.

After the completion of Round 1, there are no rules. Just trade your own way through the season to see if you can claim bragging rights as this seasons best SCS trader!

Since this is a trading competition, it won’t matter what our starting team looks like. However, we are a competitive bunch here at SCS, so I am sure we will want to be starting from a solid base. Therefore, everyone who is in the competition will get to have a say in the structure and make up of the starting team. Stephen, who has a solid fantasy record across platforms and sports, has kindly accepted responsibility to take the lead and provide the casting vote if we are split on decisions or just need the final pieces fitted into the starting team.

This will be a free competition. All it will cost you is your commitment to set your AFL Fantasy team to the agreed lineup. Note - you will stand out if you don’t because all teams in the league should have an identical score after Round 1!

A league will be established once we gain an sense of numbers.

If you want to be part of this, please register your interest in this thread. We will nut out the finer nuts and bolts between us over the coming weeks.

Entries so far:
1. Diabolical
2. Stephen
3. Darkie
I'll have a go ... glutten for punishment but have done some research so why not attempt to use it ...

AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Just my opinion but any more than 8 teams I'll be out ... not enough options in that spot otherwise IMO ... comp would be over before it even started depending on the draft order .. and yep I understand the floating emergency rule ...

Diabolical

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Essendon
Just my opinion but any more than 8 teams I'll be out ... not enough options in that spot otherwise IMO ... comp would be over before it even started depending on the draft order ..
It’s not a draft comp. You are free to trade anyone in or out of your team. The skill will be how you build your team - many of us might bring in the same players but at different times.

Diabolical

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Essendon
We have six so far, enough to have some fun but hopefully this number will grow as people understand what we are up to!!

It is not too late to express your interest.

It is time to start nutting out our starting structure. Not that it matters given the nature of the competition, but I am sure we will want to start with as strong a team as possible.

My thoughts are that we need to have something in between guns’n’rookies and mid price madness. The reason being that we will want a competitive team but need to finalise it in the week leading up to round 1 - it will be harder to make last minute changes when we need to make sure we communicate team changes with enough time to everyone in the comp. Theory being that the less rookies we have, the less last minute changes we may require prior to round 1?

What are the thoughts of others in the comp?

This will help us draft a starting team that we can start deciding some XvY’s with.

Rowsus

Statistician
AFL Club
Melbourne
I've never played on that platform, so I have no idea on the vagaries in scoring difference between that, and SC.
Having said that, I'll come in, if you need numbers to fill a league. If you get enough people, and need to chop one or two, I'm happy to step aside, and let a keen person take my place.

Please note - We view Ghostships very poorly in our SC Leagues, and would look upon a Ghostship in this League in the same light!

Bomber18

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Essendon
I've never played on that platform, so I have no idea on the vagaries in scoring difference between that, and SC.
Having said that, I'll come in, if you need numbers to fill a league. If you get enough people, and need to chop one or two, I'm happy to step aside, and let a keen person take my place.

Please note - We view Ghostships very poorly in our SC Leagues, and would look upon a Ghostship in this League in the same light!
I never get used to this platform as rookie prices increase from the first game. Use em or lose em trading system. Same as BBL.

Diabolical

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Essendon
Looks like my time has expired for editing the opening post!

Participant update:
1. Diabolical
2. Stephen
3. Darkie
4. Tails
5. IDIG
6. Deeman1
7. Connoisseur
8. Brisbane Lions
9. Rowsus
10. Bomber18
11. Presto

Last edited:

Diabolical

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Essendon
We have 11 interested so far which is fantastic. I would like to set up the league, so putting out a final call for any other takers before I create it and lock in the league size. It would be great if we could get to 18 - so if you’re thinking about joining, take the plunge as this should be an interesting and fun comp to be part of.

JLT kicks off this weekend, so next week we can start work on our starting team!

AFL Club
St Kilda
Great! Looks like a quorum. Thanks @Diabolical for starting.

I have been charged with chairing the selection committee. I think it will be somewhere between a democracy and a benevolent dictatorship, depending on how involved everyone wants to be in picking the starting team. For the purposes of the trading comp it doesn't matter what we start with, but as Diabolical mentioned I think our competitive instincts would prefer to start with the best possible base.

I am not much chop at Fantasy so I am happy for the strategy to be challenged, but the pricing structure and extra trades makes value even more more important (and harder to come by) so at the moment I am thinking we aim for:

8 <200k rookies for the bench;
2 captains;
2 fwds, mids and defs we predict to be top 6 in their line and score at least to their price;
The rest made of players we predict to outscore their price by 25+.

For ease of discussion let's use 7250 as the magic number. I.e, Tom Liberatore is $392k, so he is priced to 54 (392000/7250); Sam Walsh is $270k so is priced to 37.

Bench rookies will be hardest to sort out because of cuto*** and selection so let's ignore them for now.

But to get the team rolling I hereby invite everyone to submit their picks for:

1 pick to be the highest scoring player (captain);
1 pick on each line to be top 6 and score at least to their price;
6 picks to outscore their price by 25+ (rookies can be included).

Hopefully a core emerges and we can then play around with some XvYs and further submissions as JLT rolls on.

Thanks all!

Here's my Fantasy team if you want something to start with. I've been playing this format for 5 years. Still tinkering obviously.

Lloyd, Whitfield, Witherden, Newman, Collins, Clark (Hore, Watson)
Macrae, Cripps, Mcrouch, bcrouch, Miles, Walsh, Constable, Bewley (Hind, Gibbons)
Grundy, Goldy (ASmith, Fort)
Danger, Heeney, Menegola/Mundy/Billings, Setterfield, Cavarra, Drew (Parker, Burgess)
Williams, Smith, Libba, Worpel also popular midpricers.