Discussion AFL RDT Dream Team Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkie

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Collingwood
Has anyone had a look at an RDT side?

I've always given this format secondary consideration, but have done surprisingly well in light of that (was as high as 4th at times last year). For some reason I've found it easier (or perhaps just been very lucky!).

This is what I'm looking at:

Laird, Whitfield, Simpson, Blakely, Hanley

Mitchell, Macrae, Zerrett, Dusty, Hanners, Miles

Grundy, Longer

Danger, Heeney, Gray

I have $114k to spare and have included dearer options like Walsh, Collins and Setterfield

Relative to my SC team (which I've discussed at length elsewhere!), these are the key differences:

Overall: having excellent captain options (due to no VC loop most weeks), and the very top scorers, are two things I really emphasise in RDT even more than SC. I have less interest in cheap potential D6/M8/F6 types in this format. It's also well worth ensuring that the elite SC players you might be inclined to pick without thinking are actually elite DT scorers. Some of them aren't.

Defence: Williams, Roberton, rookie => Laird, Simpson, Blakely. Laird and Simpson are safe picks to be top scorers, and Blakely has already averaged 90s and therefore looks superior to Williams in this format.

Midfield: Fyfe, Libba => Macrae, Miles. Macrae is required for his captaincy potential, and replaces Fyfe who isn't elite in DT. Miles also looks a better than Libba based on DT scoring.

Ruck: Mummy => Longer. Same strategy, different weapon of choice - I want to pick my R2 later, and make some cash while I wait. Mummy looks attractive in this format too, except he's suspended until round 3 and my SC R-F strategy won't work in DT. Longer looks okay. Grundy is even more important in this format for his safe captain's scores.

Forwards: Westhoff => rookie. Westhoff is not an elite scorer in this format, except for 2018. His SC season was his best ever, but the downside if his role changes appears to be larger, and too great, in DT. That means he's too overpriced and not likely enough to be a top scorer, so he makes way for a safe premium defender. Ideally I'd go deeper forward and shallower down back, but we have to play the hand we are dealt!

What do you think?

Last edited:

Dimmawit

2013 AFL SuperCoach Winner
AFL Club
Richmond
It's definitely easier to get an extra premo into the side. Grundy seems to easily fit into my RDT squad whereas over in SC he seems to switch back and forth.

Darkie

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Collingwood
It's definitely easier to get an extra premo into the side. Grundy seems to easily fit into my RDT squad whereas over in SC he seems to switch back and forth.
That's true. I now have 12 premiums/3 mid pricers in SC and 12/4 in DT, with $333k to play with in DT. [Went Titchell => Menegola via Danger.]

I might end up switching Hanners, Miles or Hanley to a premium. I gather you dislike all three, at least for SC - is that player-specific, or more of a policy view on mid pricers this year?

Also, in SC the forward rookies usually suck, and I imagine that will be even more true in DT (given they're likely to get less ball, which is key). Do you see any merit in going heavy up forward (swinging Danger back down) largely to increase the number of mid rookies and reduce the number of forward rookies?

Dimmawit

2013 AFL SuperCoach Winner
AFL Club
Richmond
gotta wait and see for the JLT I reckon before we can say mate

Bomber18

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Essendon
Kick in rules benefit the defenders in RDT more. Previously SC defenders were already getting 1 point for kickins so the boost won’t be as high. Additionally, there is no risk of clangers in RDT causing points to be lost.

Picks like Lloyd, Witherden, ZWilliams are much safer in RDT. Laird not so much as he wasn’t taking many kickouts. I might start as many as 5 defs in RDT if I can.

AFL Club
Adelaide
All I know is that every time I have done well in RDT I have given it absolutely no thought until the week before! I plan on the same approach this year - focus on SC to build my general knowledge and then go with my gut in RDT with putting to much weight on the selections. RDT is my SC stress release and an enjoyable ride when lucky enough to be at the pointy end!

For those that play all formats like myself are excited with the possibility of a rolling lockout being introduced this year. It is being voted on as we speak with a 70% in favor atm.
I think it's way overdue and will only help the format grow in popularity and numbers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Darkie

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Collingwood
For those that play all formats like myself are excited with the possibility of this being introduced this year. It is being voted on as we speak with a 70% in favor atm.
I think it's way overdue and will only help the format grow in popularity and numbers.
Sorry if I've missed it, but what's the question being voted on?

IDIG

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Essendon
Sorry if I've missed it, but what's the question being voted on?
Sorry Darkie, it's regarding a rolling lockout. I moved Tex's thread into here but didn't check the post content haha oops.

Have added it to Tex's post now.

Darkie

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Collingwood
Anyone organizing RDT Leagues?
We have had them in the past, although I can’t recall off hand who organized them. Could be one of our regular members who is busy with the BBL or their SC side!

Hi Guys
This is obviously first and foremost a Supercoach forum but we need a strong and vibrant Real Dream Team . A strong push from all of us here to increase the audience and numbers playing can only help the strength of all our AFL Fantasy formats.
If you don't play RDT , why not give it a crack as there are prizes including Top League prize. Let us all get involved when its 2019 version opens tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.