Analysis AFL SC 2022: Reveal Your Completed Team

How many trades in total did you used to get to your completed team...?

• More than 30

Votes: 19 46.3%
  • 28-29

Votes: 12 29.3%
  • 26-27

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • 24-25

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • 22-23

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • 20-21

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Less than 20

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Tamuhawk

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Final team with remaining trades to be used for injuries only where warranted.

DEF: Sicily, Sinclair, Docherty, Hewett, Crisp, Short (D’Ambrosio, Voss)
MID: Oliver, Miller, Neale, Macrae, Brayshaw, Merrett, Petracca, Cripps (M Rioli, C Stephens, Owens)
RUC: Witts, Darcy (Teakle)
FWD: Bontempelli, English, Coniglio, Brodie, Dunkley, Parker (McCartin, Clarke)
Looks like my side with 21/22 same onfield 🤣

AFL Club
Bulldogs
My completed team (currently 3,365th)
I have had this lineup since the byes and am skating on thin ice with only one trade left.
But I do have decent cover on all lines and with $219K in the kitty I am hoping the last trade will be an upgrade rather than an injury fix.
completed.png
I am a mid-pricer and Petracca & Grundy were the only guys over $600K in my starting squad.
The red stars indicate the players who have survived.

My budget Defenders have been remarkably stable - I still don't have the really big names here, but I think overall I'm doing OK.
I am reasonably happy with the way my Mids have panned out. My 3 original "premos" Petracca, Neale & Cripps are still there but some of those that have come & gone didn't quite live up to expectations. Tom Mitchell came & went twice.. :unsure:
The Rucks have been really difficult for me - I have deliberately packed other lines with ruck DPP's and that has worked well (see Blicavs, English, Cameron & Goldie has mostly been in my fwd line) But on the ruck line itself I have chewed thru Grundy, Marshall, Gawn, Preuss & S. Hayes - as well as Jack Hayes, Dixon & Xerri.
I am happy with my Forwards - in reality they are mids or rucks.

I would welcome suggestions on what to do with my last trade - assuming the perfect world where I don't get any long term injury.. (not really focussed on leagues)
How long do I hold off?
Who do I upgrade & to whom?
I am considering McCartin to Tom Stewart at R20

Another interesting/confusing point is that my team value is $14.531M (incl kitty) and this is quite a lot higher than most of the teams that are above me.. not sure if I am structurally leaving far too much value on the bench or whether I am just picking captains & emergencies worse than everyone else??

Last edited:
AFL Club
Collingwood
1657505101430.png

This will have to be my complete team, not happy with a few players. The 2 trades left will be used for long term injured players.
I have one Non-Rookie player on the bench for cover and pretty much able to swap players around to fill in for the short term injuried players.
My strategy at the start of the year was bad, I was saving trades for the many players Covid outs, which didn't happen. This meant that I was fielding 1 or 2 more Rookies on field than my Opponents. Also, the talk of not having enough Cash Cows this year, influenced me to go Guns and Rookies, which meant I didn't have enough of those good scoring Mid-Pricers.
Not starting with Sicily, Brodie, Dawson and Docherty was a disadvantage as they were all on my short list. Also dropping N Daicos and Coniglio hurt, but I was lucky to avoid a lot of the carnage in the ruck.
I'm sure I have learnt some lessons this year and hope to do better next year.

Darkie

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Collingwood
My completed team (currently 3,365th)
I have had this lineup since the byes and am skating on thin ice with only one trade left.
But I do have decent cover on all lines and with $219K in the kitty I am hoping the last trade will be an upgrade rather than an injury fix.
View attachment 45924
I am a mid-pricer and Petracca & Grundy were the only guys over $600K in my starting squad.
The red stars indicate the players who have survived.

My budget Defenders have been remarkably stable - I still don't have the really big names here, but I think overall I'm doing OK.
I am reasonably happy with the way my Mids have panned out. My 3 original "premos" Petracca, Neale & Cripps are still there but some of those that have come & gone didn't quite live up to expectations. Tom Mitchell came & went twice.. :unsure:
The Rucks have been really difficult for me - I have deliberately packed other lines with ruck DPP's and that has worked well (see Blicavs, English, Cameron & Goldie has mostly been in my fwd line) But on the ruck line itself I have chewed thru Grundy, Marshall, Gawn, Preuss & S. Hayes - as well as Jack Hayes, Dixon & Xerri.
I am happy with my Forwards - in reality they are mids or rucks.

I would welcome suggestions on what to do with my last trade - assuming the perfect world where I don't get any long term injury.. (not really focussed on leagues)
How long do I hold off?
Who do I upgrade & to whom?
I am considering McCartin to Tom Stewart at R20

Another interesting/confusing point is that my team value is $14.531M (incl kitty) and this is quite a lot higher than most of the teams that are above me.. not sure if I am structurally leaving far too much value on the bench or whether I am just picking captains & emergencies worse than everyone else??
With only one trade left, I would hold off for an LTI for at least another couple of weeks. You can luxury upgrade closer to the end of the season if you get lucky in the interim.

In terms of your ranking, that’s a good result for pretty much anyone as I see it.

Regarding why your team value may be higher than your ranking indicates, I think there could be quite a factors contributing, including captain and E choices, value generated in your initial selections, holding your initial selections allowing you to churn more rookies through your team, having more value on your bench than most (which I think you do, although this could prove an advantage!), upgrading later than some others (which weighs on your ranking but helps cash gen), getting better value on your trade ins (Oliver is worth the same to all his owners, but we may have paid different prices for him), and your players currently being in good form (perhaps D Cameron, Goldy and Daicos as examples - boosting team value more than ranking).

My experience from other formats is that team value is a meaningful indicator, but potentially more impactful early in the season, in particular because it indicates how quickly different coaches can upgrade.

Well done on your team, those extra players on the bench could come in very handy yet!

AFL Club
Bulldogs
With only one trade left, I would hold off for an LTI for at least another couple of weeks. You can luxury upgrade closer to the end of the season if you get lucky in the interim.

In terms of your ranking, that’s a good result for pretty much anyone as I see it.

Regarding why your team value may be higher than your ranking indicates, I think there could be quite a factors contributing, including captain and E choices, value generated in your initial selections, holding your initial selections allowing you to churn more rookies through your team, having more value on your bench than most (which I think you do, although this could prove an advantage!), upgrading later than some others (which weighs on your ranking but helps cash gen), getting better value on your trade ins (Oliver is worth the same to all his owners, but we may have paid different prices for him), and your players currently being in good form (perhaps D Cameron, Goldy and Daicos as examples - boosting team value more than ranking).

My experience from other formats is that team value is a meaningful indicator, but potentially more impactful early in the season, in particular because it indicates how quickly different coaches can upgrade.

Well done on your team, those extra players on the bench could come in very handy yet!
Thanks @Darkie for your helpful observations.

That $Value vs Ranking issue is one that I have bumped into most years as my squad is always relatively better in its aggregate value.
There must be something in my method that I need to correct to help me go higher in the rankings.
Having said that, I'll be happy if I hold my 2022 position to the end.
Last year I was back in the 40,000's with a rather high value..

Darkie

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Collingwood
Thanks @Darkie for your helpful observations.

That $Value vs Ranking issue is one that I have bumped into most years as my squad is always relatively better in its aggregate value.
There must be something in my method that I need to correct to help me go higher in the rankings.
Having said that, I'll be happy if I hold my 2022 position to the end.
Last year I was back in the 40,000's with a rather high value..
Absolutely, I think top 5k is a great result. I always aim for top 1k but look like missing that by a bit this year!

If you consistently have high team value, that’s quite positive in the sense that you’re clearly doing something very right, and can probably just tilt your approach a little to optimize for a different variable.

Traditionally I think the “issue” or risk with mid priced teams is that they run out of trades getting all the mid pricers back out. That looks like being less of an issue with extra trades this year, but if Covid or injuries keep hitting, that may be an early call.

To me the bigger issue with a mid priced team is that you often end up with non rookie, non premium picks hanging around longer than you’d ideally like - ie a somewhat weaker finished team than your opponents. Sometimes the tradeoff can be well worthwhile (eg perhaps a Cogs or Brodie if they were averaging maybe 5ppg lower), and sometimes it may not be (usually when trading out a player has been on your to do list for a while, but gets pushed down to #2 or 3 in your to do list by other issues!).

AFL Club
Essendon
Thought it was about time I posted my "completed" team (although I'm a firm believer in the view that your team is not complete until your have burnt every last trade to a crisp :LOL:).

1657851055305.png

Pretty happy with how the last few weeks have gone. After languishing in the 7,000s prior to byes, I'm now sitting at 396 overall.

The team is pretty much set with flexible quasi-premo cover and floating donuts everywhere. I am definitely not lacking for late round captaincy options! Short / Crisp cover DEF and MID. Rozee covers FWD and MID (although his recent average makes him close to startable). Cameron covers FWD and RUC.

Only two trades left but I've got $241k to spend.

Sicily is my main big miss this year and I could move Short or Crisp to him but it's not going to help much in terms of ranking given his ownership at the top end so better just to bet against him now.

My preference is to get Laird and can do that a couple of ways:
- Straight swap for Cripps
- Short / Crisp to Laird. Cripps becomes MID bench cover. Voss goes to the DEF bench and creates the link with Himmelberg. I like this move in terms of overall team improvement but it does reduce the flexibility of my cover.

Also considering jumping off the Cameron train and bringing English back. The ride has been good but the time is right in terms of BEs and with the prospect of Grundy coming back in 1-2 weeks
- Short -> Laird
- Cameron -> English
can be achieved with $6k to spare. Not a bad way to complete the team. Essentially it means playing one of Rozee or Crisp each week (with loop options depending on fixtures). Can also take the Cripps scores if he fires and avoid the **** (once again depending on fixtures).

I'm no chance of winning the thing but it would be nice to get into the top 100. My main goal really is to catch two of the great men of FFC - Bunga (aka @Shannon ) and @Athomas (whose voodoo has clearly not waned!)

1657851478308.png

AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Thought it was about time I posted my "completed" team (although I'm a firm believer in the view that your team is not complete until your have burnt every last trade to a crisp :LOL:).

View attachment 46017

Pretty happy with how the last few weeks have gone. After languishing in the 7,000s prior to byes, I'm now sitting at 396 overall.

The team is pretty much set with flexible quasi-premo cover and floating donuts everywhere. I am definitely not lacking for late round captaincy options! Short / Crisp cover DEF and MID. Rozee covers FWD and MID (although his recent average makes him close to startable). Cameron covers FWD and RUC.

Only two trades left but I've got $241k to spend.

Sicily is my main big miss this year and I could move Short or Crisp to him but it's not going to help much in terms of ranking given his ownership at the top end so better just to bet against him now.

My preference is to get Laird and can do that a couple of ways:
- Straight swap for Cripps
- Short / Crisp to Laird. Cripps becomes MID bench cover. Voss goes to the DEF bench and creates the link with Himmelberg. I like this move in terms of overall team improvement but it does reduce the flexibility of my cover.

Also considering jumping off the Cameron train and bringing English back. The ride has been good but the time is right in terms of BEs and with the prospect of Grundy coming back in 1-2 weeks
- Short -> Laird
- Cameron -> English
can be achieved with $6k to spare. Not a bad way to complete the team. Essentially it means playing one of Rozee or Crisp each week (with loop options depending on fixtures). Can also take the Cripps scores if he fires and avoid the **** (once again depending on fixtures).

I'm no chance of winning the thing but it would be nice to get into the top 100. My main goal really is to catch two of the great men of FFC - Bunga (aka @Shannon ) and @Athomas (whose voodoo has clearly not waned!)

View attachment 46018
Great side mate, cracker year if everything holds together. Would take some rotten luck to slide out to a 4 digit finish.

AFL Club
Carlton
Great team, Wheedus.

I've similarly got 2 trades left, with 162K in the bank, but instead of upgrading my issues (D5 Blakey, D6 Short, M8 Daicos) - I'm trying to just hold the trades until I really need them.

Trades look great, I would love to get Laird in (for Blakey in my situation) but am going to resist... hopefully my use of the 2 trades in the final 3-4 rounds can net more points then "upgrading" my issues :cautious:

Hopefully a nice push into the top 100 for you!

AFL Club
Collingwood
Not sure how this team is ranked 335th overall but somehow it is.

View attachment 46405
That's actually quite a amazing effort when you look at your defence.

No Dale , Dawson , Sinclair , Stewart.

Jumping on Himmelberg though at the right time has certainly paid dividends

Can't really fault your F , R & M line-up.

Did you start Witts ?

Said it before but your results over a decade are truly incredible , doubt too many can match it.

AFL Club
GWS Giants
That's actually quite a amazing effort when you look at your defence.

No Dale , Dawson , Sinclair , Stewart.

Jumping on Himmelberg though at the right time has certainly paid dividends

Can't really fault your F , R & M line-up.

Did you start Witts ?

Said it before but your results over a decade are truly incredible , doubt too many can match it.
Yep, I've wasted many hours of my life I'll never get back on SC that's for sure......

Didn't start Witts, he's one of 7 or 8 rucks I've cycled through the team this season :ROFLMAO: - my trades have been pretty handy, can't complain too much.

AFL Club
St Kilda
This is how my gang are looking this week, after trading out Hewett to Miller, will probably reverse that if Hewett's ok.
FINAL TEAM.jpg
I have a double chance in all my leagues this week but it'd sure be nice to go straight through to week 3 still having one trade left.
What do you guys think....should I use one this week to improve my chance of winning or use Martin to back up Hewett if he misses?

AFL Club
Carlton
This is how my gang are looking this week, after trading out Hewett to Miller, will probably reverse that if Hewett's ok.
View attachment 46459
I have a double chance in all my leagues this week but it'd sure be nice to go straight through to week 3 still having one trade left.
What do you guys think....should I use one this week to improve my chance of winning or use Martin to back up Hewett if he misses?
Nice team, exact same on field midfield as my team.

AFL Club
St Kilda
Yep, I've wasted many hours of my life I'll never get back on SC that's for sure......

Didn't start Witts, he's one of 7 or 8 rucks I've cycled through the team this season :ROFLMAO: - my trades have been pretty handy, can't complain too much.
It's not wasting your life if you enjoy the hours you spend on it, I love it and cherish every moment because when the season is over, I'm just waiting for it to start again :) Love watching Golf Tournaments and Major league Baseball games too which can chew up many hours but I still love every minute of it.
Does anyone run a PGA Golf League or MBL League ?, that might be fun.
I know what you mean about all the ruck trades this year right?...yikes it's been way more than the 5 extra we got.

AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It's not wasting your life if you enjoy the hours you spend on it, I love it and cherish every moment because when the season is over, I'm just waiting for it to start again :) Love watching Golf Tournaments and Major league Baseball games too which can chew up many hours but I still love every minute of it.
Does anyone run a PGA Golf League or MBL League ?, that might be fun.
I know what you mean about all the ruck trades this year right?...yikes it's been way more than the 5 extra we got.
We do have some strong NBA leagues if that interests you ...

AFL Club
St Kilda
We do have some strong NBA leagues if that interests you ...
Thanks anyway Tails but I don't know anything about Basketball or the players, just getting re-acquainted with Baseball again but the Golf one would be easy, I've done it before on the PGA Tour site, you just pick 4 players per tournament and hope for the best and that all 4 make the cut.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Thanks anyway Tails but I don't know anything about Basketball or the players, just getting re-acquainted with Baseball again but the Golf one would be easy, I've done it before on the PGA Tour site, you just pick 4 players per tournament and hope for the best and that all 4 make the cut.
I've got to say, I knew absolutely nothing about basketball myself when I joined a couple of seasons ago, it's surprisingly easy to pick up and I have to say one of the more fun formats (when you don't cop a bunch of players with covid, or who get injured the first game after you trade them in). It's definitely worth giving it a go. The timing is also much better for us here in Australia than for many other sports.

There might be some interest in a golf league, that could be interesting and it sounds easy if all it involves is picking 4 players each tournament. Baseball is not for me though - you would possibly get others interested, but that is one that I'd likely give a miss. It would be interesting if we could get leagues for all the major sports up, it just needs someone to start them.