Discussion BBL|09 SuperCoach BBL In Game Discussion

AFL Club
Collingwood
Haven't heard anything in regards to an overseas for the Scorchers at this stage. However, have seen some of Banton's work in the T20 Blast and boy oh boy do I like the look of him. Would be a great pickup for a BBL side.
signed with the Heat , exciting times ahead.

Connoisseur

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
he's coming !!!!!!Tom Banton signed with the Heat for the first 8 games , before ADB arrives@Goodie's Guns
HEAT KEEP HITS COMING WITH YOUNG-GUN BANTON
09 October 2019

Fresh from landing South Africa superstar AB de Villiers, the Brisbane Heat have landed another international coup by securing English young gun Tom Banton for the coming KFC BBL season.
Likened to Kevin Pietersen by former Heat star Brendon McCullum, the 20-year-old Somerset star lit up this year's T20 Blast competition in England with 549 runs at a strike-rate of 161.47, including a maiden T20 ton off just 51 balls against KentIt saw him called up to England's T20 squad to tour New Zealand next month, and he was named England's Young Cricketer of the Year last week.
Banton will play the first eight games of the Heat season, before Proteas legend de Villiers joins the Heat for their final six regular season games and any subsequent finals, with Afghanistan spin pair Mujeeb Ur Rahman and Zahir Khan rounding out Brisbane's international recruits for the summer.​
Banton, who is also a wicket-keeper, admitted it had been a whirlwind few months culminating in his first overseas T20 contract with the Heat. "If you had asked me at the start of the summer would I imagine it going like this, I would have probably had a laugh and suggested you weren't serious," he said.
"I was blown away when it was announced last week that AB was coming to join the Heat so what was already going to be a huge experience just got bigger.
"I'm really looking forward to coming to Brisbane and seeing what Queensland has to offer after previously playing club cricket in Perth when I was younger.
"I've watched a fair bit of the BBL at home and it is a quality competition with so many outstanding players. I can't wait to be honest.”
Heat coach Darren Lehmann said Banton's recruitment had been a high priority.​
"He was the talk of English cricket during their season," Lehmann said. "Outside the World Cup and the Ashes, Tom was the player that a lot of people were really excited to be watching, and with good reason.
"He's a lovely striker of the ball and has that wide and varied range of shots you need to make the most of the early overs in the power play or to accelerate the scoring through the middle and back half of an innings.
"The prospect of pairing him alongside some of our young batsmen like Max Bryant, his mate Matt Renshaw and Sam Heazlett is pretty enticing, that's for sure.
"But we know Tom will also benefit from playing and being around the likes of Chris Lynn, Joe Burns, Ben Cutting and Marnus Labuschagne as he takes steps to expand his skills and experience in Australian conditions.

"He's joining us for the first half of the tournament but we're hopeful he will have some time to catch-up with AB de Villiers at some point as that would be a great opportunity as part of his experience with the Heat."
Lehmann said the club was close to finalising its 18-man roster with two spots to fill.

"We're working on those last few spots, so we'll keep a close eye on the Marsh One Day Cup and Sheffield Shield, and performances in Premier Cricket," Lehmann said.
"It's all about weighing up the options to give us the depth in the roles we feel we need for the tournament."

Brisbane Heat BBL|09 squad: Chris Lynn, Tom Banton (UK), AB de Villiers (SA), Mujeeb Ur Rahman (Afg), Zahir Khan (Afg), James Pattinson, Max Bryant, Joe Burns, Ben Cutting, Sam Heazlett, Matthew Renshaw, Josh Lalor, Mitch Swepson, Jack Prestwidge, Mark Steketee, Jimmy Peirson, Marnus Labuschagne. (Two spots to fill).

AFL Club
Collingwood
Nicholas Pooran possibly to the Perth Scorchers

they might be better chasing his Amazon Warriors team mate Brandon King 132 * off 72, highest score in CPL history and 11 wins out of 11

Last edited:
AFL Club
Sydney
be nice if Banton gets Bat/WK status.

Theoretically should be under $ 90,000.00

Expect Steyn & ABD to be $ 200k plus.

Not sure how they will price Morris.
What was Vince priced at when he came out? Might be a good indication of where Banton will be at. Most of the new overseas players start around 70-85k (ala Mujeeb), so I’m hoping he’s in that range too.

Definitely a better punt than Salt, but I’ll leave that to the analysis thread (when I get to it later today).

THCLT

BBL|05 Winner
AFL Club
North Melb.
What was Vince priced at when he came out? Might be a good indication of where Banton will be at. Most of the new overseas players start around 70-85k (ala Mujeeb), so I’m hoping he’s in that range too.

Definitely a better punt than Salt, but I’ll leave that to the analysis thread (when I get to it later today).
James Vince starting price last season was $98,400.

AFL Club
Collingwood
Big Bash League 2019-20: Sydney Thunder snap up Chris Tremain and Brendan Doggett

Alex Ross also at the Thunder

According to FoxSports they now have :-

THUNDER SQUAD SO FAR: Callum Ferguson (C), Jonathan Cook, Oliver Davies, Brendan Doggett, Matthew Gilkes, Chris Green, Alex Hales, Usman Khawaja, Jay Lenton, Nathan McAndrew, Chris Morris, Arjun Nair, Alex Ross, Daniel Sams, Jason Sangha, Gurinder Sandhu, Chris Tremain

= 17

Cummins now is missing :unsure: so what is Warner doing ? :unsure::unsure: one of the best T20 batsmen in the world and not playing in his own country's comp !!!!!!

Last edited:
AFL Club
Sydney
Let me know if I have missed any players from the Stars and previous squads I've given info on. I'll try to make sure I include them in a post once teams are finalised. Hopefully will have the last 3 teams done tonight so there can be some proper discussion.

Melbourne Stars

Hilton Cartwright BAT $65,400: Depending on his role for this season, which I doubt will be within the top 4 of the Stars batting lineup, he could be handy cheapie. However, with the batsmen at the Stars disposal, he is likely to be batting 5-7.

Verdict: Risk/Pass

Jackson Coleman BWL $108,800: Decent bowler when given the opportunity, but the Stars have plenty of bowling options that could see Coleman missing out on selection. Price will likely be an issue too, as he is not a basement cheapie like a few that will be floating around this season.

Verdict: Pass

Nathan Coulter-Nile BWL $145,300: Not playing the longer format could help him get primed for the upcoming Big Bash season, so he will definitely be one on my list to watch. There are a few factors to consider though. How will his new home ground, the MCG, affect his ability to take wickets? New team more than likely means a different role, so this can also affect scoring. Personally hoping he bats slightly higher and takes the new ball, but that’s best case scenario.

Verdict: Strongly Consider/Risk

Ben Dunk WKP/BAT $100,900: One of the more frustrating BBL selections of recent seasons. Has the ability to score quickly and rack up the points just like the premium players in the competition, but not quite the consistency of the very best. One to watch if he has keeper/batsman status, but I would probably look for more value elsewhere to begin with.

Peter Handscomb WKP/BAT $119,600: One of the players that SuperCoaches will benefit from this season given he is very unlikely to feature in the test squad this summer. Hopefully retains keeper/batsman status and will probably be in a fair few teams from the beginning.

Verdict: Underrated/Risk

Clint Hinchliffe BAT/BWL $62,500: Honestly don’t know a lot about him despite his playing for the Scorchers at some point. If anyone has an idea, let me know.

Verdict: To be decided.

Sandeep Lamicchane BWL $176,600: What a revelation this guy was! Brilliant cheapie for those who jumped on early. It was a shame he had to leave midway through the season for a few matches, otherwise he potentially would’ve been close to 200k at a point. Haven’t checked his availability, but if he’s able to play the majority of the games, you’ll want to consider.

Verdict: Strongly Consider/Risk (if availability is iffy)

Nic Maddinson BAT $130,800: The recent double centurion has all the skills to be very successful in the BBL, but was horribly out of form last season. However, that was mainly because he was returning from injury and it potentially hampered him. My view is that he will have a big season after having put some runs on the board and he’s at a nice discount given the poor showing last campaign.

Verdict: Value

Glenn Maxwell BAT/BWL $175,100: The would be stud of BBL if he can show some consistency. The Big Show is nearing that age where he is about to absolutely a comp and show all his experience. Priced over 200K and will be a guy you either stick with for the whole time or bring in during the bye rounds, Maxwell is definitely one to consider.

Verdict: Strongly Consider

Jonathan Merlo BAT/BWL $62,500: 4 games last season and didn’t really do enough to vindicate his selection for the new season. On the Stars list still, but for Supercoaches, he probably doesn’t provide any potential for price increases as his role is likely to bat low and barely bowl.

Verdict: Cheapie/Risk

Lance Morris BWL $42,000: On the Stars list again but didn’t see a match last campaign. Don’t know a lot about his ability, and again happy to hear from guys who know something about him.

Verdict: To be decided.

Dale Steyn BWL $169,000: We all know the great man, we all know he can deliver, but the magic question is ‘what will his price be’? It may not matter for some, but with an ageing quick who may have some issues bowling at the MCG, I’m not going to be jumping the gun if his price is too excessive.

Verdict: Risk (pending price)

Marcus Stoinis BAT/BWL $278,900: The Greek god of cricket. Scored some rather insane scores last season but did the right thing and brought himself back under 300K towards the end. If he continues to bowl 4 overs and open the batting, I don’t think you can say no to grabbing him.

Daniel Worrall BWL $134,100: Doesn’t present a lot of value, but has the tools to take wickets at the top of the innings. Did really well in the finals series so his price pushed up a bit. Consider if his role is the same at the beginning of the season.

Verdict: Risk/Underrated

Adam Zampa BWL $141,900: A player that didn’t have a bad season, but not a great one from a supercoach perspective. Perhaps overshadowed by Lamicchane, or just didn’t bowl at the right times I don’t know. Hard to tell if he will have a big season or not, but make sure to ignore his Shield form as he has never been a good longer format player.

Verdict: Risk

AFL Club
Sydney
Perth Scorchers

Ashton Agar BAT/BWL $133,200: Another one of those guys who has the skillset to score strongly in SuperCoach but has the flash in the pan performances every once in a while. That said, with a few players leaving the scorchers, there’s a chance he will benefit from the increased responsibility/opportunity. Definitely one to consider if his draw is favourable.

Fawad Ahmed BWL $113,000: Made the move from the Thunder this season which I think is a massive mistake for his performances. I have always been a fan of Fuzzy in conditions that suited (Spotless, MCG and Marvel), but I will not be considering this season.

Cameron Bancroft WKP/BAT $122,400: Has previously shown some good form in T/20 and will be one to consider after a very lean campaign (bar 1-2 scores). His discounted price will tempt many, and if he is at the top of the order (big chance with no Shaun Marsh), then you can definitely consider.

Jason Behrendorff BWL $142,800: Out for the season undergoing back surgery, do not place him in your team.

Cameron Green BWL $42,000: Handy bowler in the longer format but only saw one opportunity last campaign. Look for this to change without Coulter-Nile and Behrendorff in the frame. Could be a very valuable cheapie for us this season with some luck.

Verdict: Cheapie

Aaron Hardie: Another handy bowler floating around in the Scorchers squad. Also quite cheap, so he or Green could be picking up a spot in the team from the very beginning.

Nick Hobson BAT $71,900: A couple of useful knocks with the bat when required, but doesn’t present the value as some of the other players will this season. Probably give him a miss unless he somehow features in the top 3-4 for the Scorchers.

Josh Inglis WKP/BAT $130,200: Touted as a gun of the future, Inglis didn’t have a lot of opportunity to get into the season, with a great 55 in his last match. With Bancroft in the team, its hard to see him taking the gloves, but he most certainly will be a chance to feature in the lineup.

Verdict: Value

Matthew Kelly BWL $165,100: Had a couple of mammoth scores, courtesy of two 3 wicket hauls, but otherwise was heavily reliant on wickets for his points. Probably a good player to wait on if you’re keen, as he will most definitely come down in price from his 180K tag.

Verdict: Risk (wait until he is cheaper)

Mitchell Marsh BAT/BWL $179,700: The SuperCoach stud of the West. Has the potential to be as prolific as Stoinis as he has the same qualities as him. Will likely bowl 3-4 overs every game and bat 3 or 4. Hard to see him staying out of the action this season with increased responsibility on him. Very cheap considering what he can do. Only issue is potential test selection.

Joel Paris BWL $81,000: Set to play a big role for the Scorchers this season with Behrendorff sidelined. After experiencing injuries himself last season, he will be keen to get into it. Good left arm seamer who swings the ball nicely. Could be in a lot of teams come Round 1.

Verdict: Value/Strongly Consider

Jhye Richardson BWL $178,200: Big season incoming for Jhye both domestically and potentially internationally if he can keep his body fit. Price is a concern, but his ability is unquestioned. Swings the ball around at good pace and bounce.

Verdict: Strongly Consider/Risk (if selected for ODI/Tests)

Ashton Turner BAT $127,400: One of my favourite domestic cricketers to watch in the BBL. As a SuperCoach, not so much. Bat yourself 4 for the love of Stoinis! If he bats high in this Scorchers lineup, he will simply be one of the top sole batsman options in the competition, no risk. If he manages to bowl himself consistently, he will become a must have for every team.

Verdict: Value/Strongly Consider

Andrew Tye BWL $149,800: The guy that many last season would have been cursing, but I was loving it when I picked him up at a discount price last season. Has the potential to go huge with his role of bowling the death overs, but also the capacity to go the distance. His price is very juicy for the output that he can give, so seriously consider starting him.

Sam Whiteman WKP/BAT $111,500: Always liked the guy’s intent at the crease, just never appreciated his shot selection. One guy who on paper looks like he can give you bang for your buck, but with some of the other keepers available, I’d avoid this guy.

AFL Club
Collingwood
@7/11

Steyn will have 2 matches at Metricon , 1 in Moe , 1 in Launceston , 1 Sydney Showgrounds , 1 at the G.

Certainly will be watching the MSL with interest to see how fit he is.

Suspect he will be close to $ 200 k.

Will be hard starting Short , Stoinis , Steyn , Morris (?) from the get go , hopefully enough value batsmen around.

Great job with the previews , Seb Gotch is back for the Stars.

Don't forget Kurtis Patterson at the Scorchers.

AFL Club
Sydney
Apologies for those expecting the Sixers next, updated my squad list for the Thunder and just started doing their write ups first. Sixers should be up in hopefully 30-45 minutes.
Sydney Thunder

Jonathon Cook BWL $141,600: Was a great cheapie last season for those that hopped on and was a very good option for the thunder at the beginning of innings. Cook could find himself as the first choice spinner now the Fawad has gone to the Scorchers. However, I think we’ve squeezed every bit of juice that we could out of him cash wise.

Oliver Davies BAT $42,000: Its rare I know barely anything about a NSW based player but I’ve not seen or heard a lot about the Aus 19’s representative. Plays for Manly on a fairly benign wicket and his numbers are largely unimpressive, so unless he’s in the team from day 1, I wouldn’t be moving mountains to grab him as a batsman cheapie.

Brendan Doggett BWL $132,700: Quality quick that’s come from the Heat, looking for opportunities at the Thunder. Might not benefit from the slow surface at Spotless so might be a good one to avoid this season.

Callum Ferguson BAT $134,600: The captain of the Thunder needs to have a big season if they are to feature in the finals series this time round. Had a few good knocks but too many in between where he did barely anything. Not the type of player you’d be looking at to produce consistent scores for you.

Matt Gilkes WKP/BAT $96,700: Infamous for his drop of Shaun Marsh, then almost instantly hero status with the knock he played an hour or two later. Pretty sure that was his only game as he took a catch as a sub fielder a few games later. Will be one to watch if named, could fill that cheapie keeper spot nicely.

Chris Green BWL $140,600: The male model has a lot of responsibility on his shoulders this season. We may see him elevated in the order in addition to his current role of bowling at tough times. Green has performed admirably and it is his batting that gets his SuperCoach scores up there, so here’s hoping he can get more time in the middle this BBL.

Alex Hales BAT $125,000: The English batsman returns to the BBL via the Thunder. Interesting choice of team, but might enjoy the smaller straight boundaries and slower wicket at Spotless, which are reminiscent of the pitches back home. Hits the ball a long way. Pricing will be the main issue on whether you select him or leave him out.

Verdict: Strongly Consider/Risk (pending price)

Usman Khawaja BAT $198,500: SuperCoach stud batsman, unfortunately we may not see a lot of him if he’s selected for tests this summer (again!). If unselected, it will be every man and his dog jumping on the Uzzie train, and who can blame him with the scarcely believable record he has in the BBL.

Verdict: Strongly Consider/Risk (pending test selection)

Jay Lenton WKP/BAT $106,200: Piqued my interest a couple seasons ago when he had a great T/20 tournament at grade level, but hasn’t had an extended run for the Thunder. Big chance of getting that this season with Buttler out. However, Gilkes presence in the squad means they’ll both be gunning for the keeper spot.

Nathan McAndrew BWL $64,000: Has been around the Thunder setup for a while and never has made a fist of it. Hard to see him breaking into the squad with the new fast bowling stocks the Thunder have recruited. Would probably avoid unless there are injuries that thrust him into the squad (but even then would avoid).

Chris Morris BAT/BWL $125,000: The South African international will definitely be of interest this BBL, with the slippery quick joining the Thunder. Again, price will be a big factor in his selection in a lot of teams, as will his availability.

Verdict: Risk/Strongly Consider (Price/Availability pending)

Arjun Nair:

Alex Ross BAT $81,200: Made the move to the Thunder after limited opportunities last season. I feel this is a great move by both the Thunder and Ross as he is adept at playing spin and should succeed playing at Spotless half the season. He is priced awkwardly, but if he is batting in the top 3 you should definitely consider drafting him in (pending salary cap).

Verdict: Underrated/Risk

Daniel Sams BAT/BWL $170,200: Went bang at the beginning of the year (much to my chagrin as I had him until the last minutes of pre-season), and then fizzled out as the year went on. Has the potential to be a big scorer and so should always be in consideration (especially given his price is less than the beginning of last season). Might hold his position in the middle order and hopefully will bowl in times where wickets come often.

Verdict: Strongly Consider/Risk

Gurinder Sandhu BWL $99,900: The G man had one decent game last season, but otherwise was pretty quiet. Should do better with the ball given his talent. His price is really awkward, so I’m not considering him this time round as job security may be an issue with the extra quicks in the Thunder lineup.

Jason Sangha BAT $62,500: Quality young batsman coming through. Unfortunately, apart from 1-2 knocks, he didn’t really set the world on fire. The longer format is where his future lies, I believe, but it doesn’t mean you won’t be able to squeeze some cash out of him in the early season should you feel he’s got some runs in him.

Verdict: Pass/Cheapie

Chris Tremain BWL $137,600: Has come from the Renegades back home. Finished the season cheaper than the start, and with a change of team he could well grow a leg and be amongst the premium bowlers around. That said, his price is awkward and you might want to have a look before taking the punt.

AFL Club
Sydney
All teams done! Let me know your thoughts. Will try and add the rest of the players I missed in a week or two when squads are all confirmed.
Sydney Sixers

Sean Abbott BWL $195,300: A ticking time bomb in terms of SuperCoach. Has the ability to go huge but tends to do it when he’s not in my team. Bowls at good times during the innings in terms of wicket taking, and can hit a long ball when required batting in the lower middle order. Not a real fan of him as a player, but as a SuperCoach prospect you should always consider him.

Justin Avendano BAT $62,500: Useful batsman who plays up the top of the order generally. Didn’t set the world on fire in his limited opportunities, but should be better this time round. Might find it tough to break into the team though with the squad’s current makeup.

Verdict: Cheapie/Risk (pending selection)

Tom Curran BAT/BWL $210,000: Probably one of the quality finds of last BBL. Made some serious scores, with a 203 in round 2 and should be under consideration for your squad assuming availability is assured. Bowls at good times as well for the Sixers who are more of a defensive bowling unit, meaning he will be used at crucial times of the game.

Verdict: Strongly Consider (pending availability)

Ben Dwarshuis BWL $136,200: Bit of a tough guy to rate. He seems to pick up wickets consistently but also bowls a lot of rubbish in between. That said, he had a fairly lean season bar two matches. Heavily reliant on wickets and won’t play much of a role with the bat. Price is awkward so would avoid personally.

Jack Edwards BAT $62,500: Hard hitting batsman that was probably thrust into the BBL a little earlier than he should’ve been, but will be better for last year’s experiences. Likely to bottom dollar again, so wouldn’t be a terrible punt despite burning a lot of us last season as a round 1 cheapie that remained in the squad for a majority of the season.

Verdict: Cheapie/Risk

Mickey Edwards BWL $73,700: Brother of Jack and had limited success at this level. Hard to see him getting much of a go again this season and even then has the capacity to go the distance against quality batsmen. Would avoid.

Daniel Fallins BWL $62,500: Quality legspinner that’s been around the grade scene for a few years. May not get the opportunities with the spinners in the Sixers squad, but always a chance if injuries occur.

Verdict: Cheapie/Risk (pending selection)

Moises Henriques BAT/BWL $101,500: One of the biggest ‘what could’ve been’ stories of Australian cricket in the last 10-15 years. Has the potential to be a SuperCoach stud, but is as regular as a man with haemorrhoids. If he bowls consistently, then he’s a must have.

Verdict: Risk/Value (pending bowling)

Daniel Hughes BAT $115,500: Coming off some serious domestic form, Hughes will likely bat at the top of the order with Philippe. Has had success previously and there’s no reason why he can’t reproduce it, but the 120-130k price tag makes it difficult to take the punt.

Peter Nevill WKP/BAT $62,500: Never been a fan of Nevill’s T/20 credentials, and realistically with Philippe in the squad should not be in the Sixers best XI. Even if he is, do not buy this trap.

Stephen O'Keefe BWL $179,700: SOK had a fairly solid campaign list time around and will certainly be amongst the top 10-15 bowlers again. That said, his price doesn’t give us SuperCoaches the wiggle room some may have hoped for to take the punt on. If he’s got a favourable start to his draw, then maybe consider, but otherwise leave him until he is about 30-40k cheaper.

Verdict: Risk (wait until cheaper)

Josh Philippe WKP/BAT $123,000: Despite not being a cheapie anymore, Philippe is going to be one of my first players picked this season. Hard hitter of the ball and showing some decent form in the domestic one-day tournament, its not hard to like the young gun. Couldn’t recommend this guy more to be one of your keepers at the beginning of this season.

Verdict: Strongly Consider/Value

Lloyd Pope BWL $62,500: Had a couple of cracks for the Sixers last season. Personally, feel he’s another season away from being a right handful at this level, but don’t let that deter you if you have your mind set on the young legspinner.

Verdict: Risk/Cheapie

Jordan Silk BAT $86,300: Quality performer for the Sixers for a while, but had a season to forget last season. This means however, that he will be ultra cheap going into BBL09. He’s definitely a risky pick being a middle order bat, but given the young blokes that are ahead of him, he could find himself batting a little more than previous seasons.

Verdict: Risk/Cheapie

Henry Thornton BWL $42,000: Injuries curtailed his season in 18/19, so will be looking to try and get back to top form with the ball. Not really sure where he sits in the pecking order for the Sixers, but would assume it would be quite low in this squad.

Verdict: Cheapie (pending selection)

James Vince BAT $139,500: The English international had two quality scores in amongst some average ones, meaning his price isn’t too high but he’s another fella in the awkward price range. If he performs to his ability, he’s definitely in the top 10-15 batsmen in the competition. One to watch.

Verdict: Value/Risk