Discussion BBL|10 SC: Team & In-Game Discussion - Home of #1 and #2 Leagues

AFL Club
Essendon
That is brilliant data that underpins a couple of things I think we'd kind of assumed here for a while:
* 3-4 DGW players per side looks a good fit, so long as you pick the right ones (with 4th best being roughly equivalent to the top performer in any other given team)
* There's enough of a difference between the winning and losing team's scores (around 30%!) that trying to predict the best teams season-wide is a worthwhile proposition for building your starting lineup

I assume this is using the old scoring system? I doubt the new one would make too much difference from a relative perspective, it'd probably just shift all the numbers down a few percent, but it might matter as far as trying to predict price movements and the like.
(firstly Great post @Diabolical) My tactic has always been to have 3min 4max player from a double game player

under the new scoring it was about -115pts difference. which works out to be about 5-6pts loss for players.

Darkie

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Collingwood
(firstly Great post @Diabolical) My tactic has always been to have 3min 4max player from a double game player

under the new scoring it was about -115pts difference. which works out to be about 5-6pts loss for players.
Well now this has got me thinking.

Would you say that tactic has worked for you? 😋

Darkie

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Collingwood
One thing I’m pondering is that if scores are lower under the new scoring system, it could potentially be harder to get guys like Curran and Bairstow in.

My understanding is that if “everyone” is overpriced, the Magic Number simply adjusts to largely o***et that effect ... but I think I’m right in thinking that Curran/Bairstow types (who will remain at their elevated price, by virtue of not playing) could be harder to afford under this scenario?

Maybe my esteemed doubles partner @Rowsus has a view?

AFL Club
Essendon
Aiming to finish off my data tonight to release tomorrow.

it will cover...

- If the English players myth they start slow is a thing. (along with other Overseas country's players)
- Match scoring compared over the past 9 season.
- Top 20 players to Gain/Lose points under the new scoring system. (and Bonus BBL01-BBL09)
- All the player profiles.
- And I may even get time to add my side if anyone wants to see it.

anything else I should add?

AFL Club
Collingwood
Does Bancroft hold his spot when Livingstone & Roy are both available though ?

Suspect the 3 OS , Inglis , Marsh & Turner play ahead of him.

Agar @ 7 , 3 pace + Fawad
I would only require him for 3 weeks. Any increase in $ is a bonus.

Allows my wanted trades for rd 2 too.
Philippe playing in 1st game hurts and too costly for my pockets anyhow.

Last edited:
AFL Club
North Melb.
Some great discussion going on here!

As we begin to tinker with our sides, I ask the question if anyone is worried about selecting Noor Ahmad? I noticed that he is a very popular selection in teams to date.

Since Ahmad was signed before the revised fixture (in which pushed the competition back a week), it’s reasonable to presume that the Renegades were anticipating on him featuring more prominently throughout the tournament. Although as Tahir is expected to arrive after Christmas (similar to Curran et al.), there is a real possibility that Ahmad may only feature in 3 games.

Looking into BBL09, Ellis averaged 52 after three and only rose $30k (from basement). Therefore the question needs to be asked if Ahmad is worth a spot in our teams?? To justify Ahmad, I think you need to have confidence that he will either play beyond round 3, or believe that he will go berserk in either game 1 or game 2 to maximise $$ generation.

Personally, I am avoiding but I would love to start the conversation and hear the views of others!

AFL Club
Collingwood

As we begin to tinker with our sides, I ask the question if anyone is worried about selecting Noor Ahmad? I noticed that he is a very popular selection in teams to date.

Since Ahmad was signed before the revised fixture (in which pushed the competition back a week), it’s reasonable to presume that the Renegades were anticipating on him featuring more prominently throughout the tournament. Although as Tahir is expected to arrive after Christmas (similar to Curran et al.), there is a real possibility that Ahmad may only feature in 3 games.

Looking into BBL09, Ellis averaged 52 after three and only rose $30k (from basement). Therefore the question needs to be asked if Ahmad is worth a spot in our teams?? To justify Ahmad, I think you need to have confidence that he will either play beyond round 3, or believe that he will go berserk in either game 1 or game 2 to maximise $$ generation.

Personally, I am avoiding but I would love to start the conversation and hear the views of others!
Raised the same concerns a week or so ago.

Currently pencilled in along with Tremain , aside from Parker (maybe) & Wildermuth not much else is jumping out at me.

Possibly Stanlake and have a donut onfield Round 1 as VC/C option.

Hopefully we get some more information on Nabi and if he is the team for the Afghanistan v Ireland series (before the BBL starts), could completely change Ahmad's situation.

Last edited:
AFL Club
Collingwood
I would only require him for 3 weeks. Any increase in $ is a bonus.

Allows my wanted trades for rd 2 too.
Philippe playing in 1st game hurts and too costly for my pockets anyhow.
3 weeks or 3 rounds ?

If the latter wouldn't McDermott (similar price) possibly be a better option with a DGR in Round 2 ?

AFL Club
Adelaide
Hey is there an updated chart anywhere in here with byes/DGR's for each team and round?

Thanks in advance.

AFL Club
Carlton

Definitely a fair argument, but let me attempt to make the case for Noor:
* This is essentially a cash generation play, so it's a short term move anyway, it's unlikely he would ever feature in my starting side so unlikely to cost me points if it goes belly up.
* Teams won't have any footage on him - and he's a left arm wrist-spinner, which is both very rare and a massive vulnerability for Australian batsmen at large.
* I'll throw in the example of Qais from last year - and he had some exposed form from the previous season - I think he scored 180 first up? Sure, he didn't score more than 50 for the rest of the year, but in this instance the first game is all you need - and I think Perth's top order is vulnerable.

AFL Club
Brisbane
Aiming to finish off my data tonight to release tomorrow.

it will cover...

- If the English players myth they start slow is a thing. (along with other Overseas country's players)
- Match scoring compared over the past 9 season.
- Top 20 players to Gain/Lose points under the new scoring system. (and Bonus BBL01-BBL09)
- All the player profiles.
- And I may even get time to add my side if anyone wants to see it.

anything else I should add?
👍 Thanks. Looking forward to viewing the info, and your team 😃

3-4 max per DGR right? Ok, I'm on it 😁

Rowsus

Statistician
AFL Club
Melbourne
One thing I’m pondering is that if scores are lower under the new scoring system, it could potentially be harder to get guys like Curran and Bairstow in.

My understanding is that if “everyone” is overpriced, the Magic Number simply adjusts to largely o***et that effect ... but I think I’m right in thinking that Curran/Bairstow types (who will remain at their elevated price, by virtue of not playing) could be harder to afford under this scenario?

Maybe my esteemed doubles partner @Rowsus has a view?
Hi Partner!
I think what it leads to is, there will need to be a focus in the early round of side trading the expensive players (even more than we might normally). If they are all over-priced, by even more than they usually are, then those with a fail will quickly lose value, and you get to the trade or hold cross road a lot quicker.
It also means the season will come down to those expensive early picks. The Coaches that get them right, will maintain value AND score the better points, the Coaches that get them wrong, fall behind in both points and team value. A dangerous position to find yourself in.
I think it drives teams to only have 1 or 2 of the most expensive players, with an eye on the Captain's role, and try milk any value in the mid and low priced players. That might sound very "yeah, isn't that what we have to do every year?!", but I think applies even more in this situation.

AFL Club
Collingwood
Definitely a fair argument, but let me attempt to make the case for Noor:
* This is essentially a cash generation play, so it's a short term move anyway, it's unlikely he would ever feature in my starting side so unlikely to cost me points if it goes belly up.
* Teams won't have any footage on him - and he's a left arm wrist-spinner, which is both very rare and a massive vulnerability for Australian batsmen at large.
* I'll throw in the example of Qais from last year - and he had some exposed form from the previous season - I think he scored 180 first up? Sure, he didn't score more than 50 for the rest of the year, but in this instance the first game is all you need - and I think Perth's top order is vulnerable.
Haven't seen his Mankad from the U19 World Cup then ?

Suspect their is plenty of vision available from that tournament.

You are right though given the majority of our BBL batsmen can't even play simple off spin , a Chinaman could create havoc.

Actually don't think Munro , Inglis , Bancroft , Marsh is that bad of a Top 4

I guess if he can make $ 25 - 30 k profit in his 3 games it might be ok.

AFL Club
Collingwood
I will need to report you for stealing Professor's log in details 😀

Where are all your POD's ?

I doubt Fraser-McGurk plays , I would try and turn him into Ashton Turner.

Think to do that you need to lose Mujeeb to someone , the obvious one would be Stanlake but not 100% sold on him to be honest , maybe Christian.

Or other that Ingram to a Handscomb/McDermott like everyone else.

Apart from that looks a very strong starting team.