BBL Pre-Season Thread

AFL Club
Sydney
5C815A62-E06D-442D-8C79-C579F16C396D.jpeg

Thought I’d kick off a pre-season thread before the real thing begins. I’ll be doing my own research over the next couple of weeks and sharing my findings. Won’t be as comprehensive as last season, as I’m a little time poor at the moment, so I’m hopeful some of our other members will be able to help me out.

Fixtures for the season are above. Fingers crossed they don’t change before now and the BBL’s first match.

AFL Club
Sydney
Adelaide Strikers

Travis Head, Michael Neser, Harry Nielsen, Matt Renshaw, Matt Short, Peter Siddle, Cameron Valente, Jake Weatherald, Daniel Worrall, Jon Wells

Something that the Strikers have struggled with in the last year or two is up front bowling. They've always seemed to try what I would deem detrimental tactics in the first 6 overs. Utilising Rashid Khan for 1-2 overs in the PowerPlay made SuperCoaches cry out in anguish, whilst putting Matt Short on with the new ball once every blue moon was also a tease.

With Matt Renshaw coming to the Strikers this season, I believe we have a player who can actually fill the role of new-ball bowler a little more consistently than Michael Neser, who seems to be a little more suited to the middle and death overs.

Daniel Worrall is a good pickup as well, with the Stars picking up Billy Stanlake instead (which is not necessarily a good trade for the Stars). He will likely partner up with Renshaw with the new ball on more than one occasion this season.

The Strikers are yet to sign an Overseas player officially, but I think we will see Rashid come back and possibly another Englishman.

Players of Interest for me

Renshaw (probably bat/bowl): Provides value if he opens. Will be very keen if the Striker's 5th bowling option isn't a reliable one and means Renshaw is a huge chance of overs.

Weatherald (bat only): Has the potential for big runs and fields in hotspots where catches are hit. If he's sub 100k, nearly worth the punt if a favourable draw. If not a favourable draw, he is a good one to wait on.

Neser (bat/bowl): Should bowl his quota in the majority of games, and if Rashid happens to not come back, provides SuperCoaches with some value in the batting department. He has often been shunted to 8-9 because of Rashid's unique batting ability.

Traps

Worrall (bowl only): I love him as a player, but moving to Adelaide Oval for the majority of his games could well prove to be a mistake. The MCG provided him with a bit more of a chance to keep his Economy Rate down, but at AO where the square boundaries are exploited frequently, I believe he is a pass this season. I do hope I'm proven wrong though.

Short (bat/bowl): Unfortunately with Renshaw coming to the Strikers, Short's prospects as an allround option are considerably reduced. He'd have to hope that no overseas spinner comes along or that he is promoted to 3 permanently in the absence of Alex Carey. Would avoid even if cheap.

AFL Club
Sydney
Brisbane Heat

Tom Banton (Eng), Max Bryant, Joe Burns, Tom Cooper, Matthew Kuhnemann, Ben Laughlin, Chris Lynn, Jimmy Peirson, Mitch Swepson, Jack Wildermuth

Looking at this team that has lost Cutting, Renshaw and Pattinson from their squad, I can't really see the Heat going too well this season unless they recruit a gun overseas allrounder or bowler.

When Top Cooper is currently your 4th-5th best option with the bat, you're in for a world of hurt, especially since the bowling options aren't all that flash either. I feel like the Heat are the early favourites for the spoon this season, and it will take an effort to get them out of this pre-season ranking for me.

Players of interest for me

Lynn (bat only): Had a poor season by his standards, is coming to the point in his career where he needs to put up some serious numbers to be considered for national selection again. No AB in the squad to take the his thunder away, so I believe that Lynn may actually get back to where he needs to be and start producing the types of innings that we have sorely missed.

Banton (bat/keep): Not sure what his availability will be like, but he has proven his ability to be a quality boundary hitter up the top of the order. I must admit to a little extra excitement the night he cut loose against the Thunder despite it being my team. Unless he is obscenely priced, I'll likely take the punt on him.

Wildermuth (bat/bowl): Better role in the Heat team with no Cutting or Renshaw, meaning there's 4-5 overs that can be bowled by the allrounder. Has had a big wrap on him in the past and would expect him to be utilised to fulfil that potential. Not sure where he will bat in the order, but would assume 6 at the highest. Most probably 7-8.

Traps

Peirson (bat/keep): Always and forever will be a trap. DO NOT GET SUCKED IN!!!

Kuhnemann (bowl only): Unlikely to do much more than play a run containing role. Hasn't got the game to get 2-3 wickets often in a match, so you're hoping for the odd spike game for him to create some cash gen for your squad. Would look to other proper cheapies if you are looking to make cash.

AFL Club
Hawthorn