Competitions Big Bash Fantasy Sweep - It's ON

AFL Club
North Melb.
So we are over half way through the comp now (32 games of 61) and the leader is Lachie S from Andrew Sp and Squizzy. Lachie S and Andrew Sp are father and son, and are son and husband of Allison S who was the winner of the World Cup Fantasy Sweep. Lachie S was also the winner of the Soccer World Cup points comp.

After Mark E appeared destined to ride off over the horizon he has come back to the field and the lead has actually changed quite a few times over the last week or so. Save for a couple of outliers at the bottom, scores a generally pretty tight which can see you jump up or fall quickly with a few good games or bad games. I see this as a good thing and part of the appeal of the comp. Even those couple of outliers will come back to the field I think and have a feeling they will have to fight pretty hard to achieve that money back position.

Squizzy is the leading SCS entrant at 3rd even though not actually a SCS member I believe. @blue dreamer is the highest ranked member at 8th. SCS members aren't terribly well represented at the pointy end currently.

Don't forget about the ladder competition which will become more relevant the deeper we go. The top 37 will make finals and then playoff through a final series to determine a single winner where the prize is equal to the higher scorer. As it stands all but 2 players have featured in the top 37 at some stage. The 2 that haven't are Millis S and @Diabolical.

Last edited:
AFL Club
North Melb.
Given we are half way through now I would like to get a gauge on how relevant this comp is staying in peoples minds when also playing the main game. Without the need to regularly submit anything it is hard to tell who is engaged and who has lost interest. There are obviously a handful of regular posters in this thread who are keeping up so I am probably more aiming this at those that are watching on silently (nothing wrong with that btw).

I seek this information to take into a account for possible future editions of a comp like this. I have an eye to the women‘s and men’s T20 world cups later this year where I think a comp like this is a good way to take an interest.

From my own perspective I have spent more time tracking my SC team to date than I probably expected. I look pretty closely at the results (probably a good thing given I prepare them) but have only had an awareness of who I have drawn when watching a game about 50% of the time. Having said, after last night, I am now totally fed up with BBL SC so will probably swing more attention across to this comp where I my decisions are not constantly made to look foolish.

Finally do people like looking over those extra stats that I post from time to time or is it just a sea of more numbers and colours that you glimpse at and move on quickly?

Last edited:

Darkie

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Collingwood
@Beg2Differ - I have posted periodically in this thread, so I’m probably not the main audience of interest for your questions, but I would say:

- I’m tracking how I’m going in this comp. I’ve been right down the bottom, up the top, back to the middle, and hopefully onwards and upwards from here!

- I am similarly aware of who I have drawn in this comp around half the time. I love to see 8s, and hate 7s in particular. I find I am most likely to know who I have drawn when I haven’t had to be spending time thinking through SC trades, and/or tracking players I’ve just traded in (eg i had some idea of who I had drawn yesterday, but was more thinking about/watching Marsh, Livingstone etc). Today my trades are done, and there are still games to come, so I’m very likely to track who I have drawn in this comp.

- More broadly, you may find that people are more actively engaged (in terms of posting etc) for the World Cups rather than the BBL for the same reason as me - there’s no SC as a potential “distraction”. Also as the SC season progresses, some people may follow a same pattern to you - focusing more on their draw in this competition because their SC season isn’t living up to what they’d hoped.

- I find the stats on scores by batting position etc very helpful as well as interesting. I think they’re useful for SC selections, as well as giving an insight into how T20 cricket actually works. I also referred to them in selecting players for bets in our PC.

I’m a big cricket fan, but found your World Cup comp last year had me paying attention to far more games, and international players, than would otherwise have been the case. I think it’s a great way to encourage interest in tournaments that might otherwise slide by relatively unnoticed. Hope this helps, and well done for again running a very polished competition.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Given we are half way through now I would like to get a gauge on how relevant this comp is staying in peoples minds when also playing the main game. Without the need to regularly submit anything it is hard to tell who is engaged and who has lost interest. There are obviously a handful of regular posters in this thread who are keeping up so I am probably more aiming this at those that are watching on silently (nothing wrong with that btw).

I seek this information to take into a account for possible future editions of a comp like this. I have an eye to the women‘s and men’s T20 world cups later this year where I think a comp like this is a good way take an interest.

From my own perspective I have spent more time tracking my SC team to date than I probably expected. I look pretty closely at the results (probably a good thing given I prepare them) but have only had an awareness of who I have drawn when watching a game about 50% of the time. Having said, after last night, I am now totally fed up with BBL SC so will probably swing more attention across to this comp where I my decisions are not constantly made to look foolish.

Finally do people like looking over those extra stats that I post from time to time or is it just a see of more numbers and colours that you glimpse at and move on quickly?
I generally wait until after the match to look up who I got. Following the extra people each match in play generally just gives me more frustration when someone goes large that you don't have. If I was nearer either end though I may be a bit more invested. Maybe if I am still a chance to sneak into the playo*** I'll follow more closely in the last few matches.

I love the extra stats, as long as they are not too difficult to prepare.

Diabolical

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Essendon

I seek this information to take into a account for possible future editions of a comp like this. I have an eye to the women‘s and men’s T20 world cups later this year where I think a comp like this is a good way take an interest.

Finally do people like looking over those extra stats that I post from time to time or is it just a see of more numbers and colours that you glimpse at and move on quickly?
I am enjoying this comp even though my rank probably says otherwise. In some ways, being at an extreme (even if it is the bottom) probably gives more interest than if I was sitting in the middle of a large field.

Like others, I probably look up my players 50% of the time. When I only have one or two of my SC team playing in a match I like to see who I have here to give me a bit more interest in the game. If I have a lot of SC players playing I tend to just look at my score at the end.

I do read over your extra stats with interest.

One thing I noticed different with this compared to the World Cup, IIRC, is that you had mini competitions (rounds) within the overall competition for the WC. Maybe that would keep others more interested if they feel they are out of overall contention by mid season?

Love your work and appreciate the time and effort you put in.

AFL Club
Port Adelaide
ADE / MELR batting orders as they unfold that I'll keep editing throughout the game so we all know who our players are:

ADE:
- (1) Weatherald
- (2) Salt
- (3) Head
- (4) Wells
- (5) Neilson
- (6) Short
- (7) Khan
- (8) Neser

- (9) Siddle
- (10) Agar
- (11) Conway

MELR:
- (1) Marsh
- (2) Harris
- (3) Harper
- (4) Webster
- (5) Nabi
- (6) Cooper
- (7) Christian
- (8) Patel
- (9) Wildermuth
- (10) Boyce
- (11) Mennie

Last edited:
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
MELS / SYD6 batting orders as they unfold that I'll keep editing throughout the game so we all know who our players are:

MELS:
- (1) Stoinis
- (2) Cartwright
- (3) Maxwell

- (4) Dunk
- (5) Gotch
- (6) Larkin
- (7) Hinchcliffe
- (8) Worrall
- (9) Morris
- (10) Rauf
- (11) Lamichhane

SYD6:
- (1) Philippe
- (2) Hughes
- (3) Vince
- (4) Henriques
- (5) Silk
- (6) Curran
- (7) Avendano
- (8) Dwarshuis
- (9) Bird

- (10) O'Keefe
- (11) Pope

Last edited:
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

I seek this information to take into a account for possible future editions of a comp like this. I have an eye to the women‘s and men’s T20 world cups later this year where I think a comp like this is a good way to take an interest.

Finally do people like looking over those extra stats that I post from time to time or is it just a sea of more numbers and colours that you glimpse at and move on quickly?
Personally, I have taken less notice of actual game scores in this competition but have taken a lot more interest from the "actual" batting orders ..

An aspect I wasn't expecting but something I have been able to reflect upon many times ...

Still love the hands off nature of this comp though !!