Brownlow Discussion

AFL Club
West Coast
What’s the stat for the Brownlow votes for the top possession getter for the year

Macrae = all time = only gets 14 votes

Pretty stiff honestly. Consistent as they come, even though he’s not a big as Bont in match-winning, the votes don’t tell the whole story for his contribution

AFL Club
Richmond
Did anyone this the blokes at the top were all going to poll so high?
I had the winner pegged for 28 votes max.

AFL Club
North Melb.
Benefits from having been clearly the best mid in that team this year while Dogs/Dees have much more depth.
Don't think that explains it - Boak got 11 more than Macrae and 2 more than Petracca. Even Amon got more than Bulldogs' next best.

I think it's more a symptom of the brownlow system. In Bont's best games, he was so easily BOG but he can still only get 3 votes. In Wines' best games, he was just BOG but still gets 3 votes. Bont also had a lot of games where he was no chance of polling, while Wines was 4th or 5th best in a lot of games, and got 1 or 2 votes ahead of a forward or defender (as with all other mids).

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Not much thought in these...

Predictions
2021 Brownlow Medallist: Oliver
Top three: Oliver, Bont, Wines
Smokey: Parish
Highest-polling defender: Mills
Highest-polling midfielder: Oliver
Highest-polling forward: Dusty maybe
Highest-polling ruck: Gawn
Highest-polling first year player: Gulden
Most votes from your club: Mitchell
I was just looking back on my pre-brownlow selections, and I probably did better with these than I did in the tipping comp. Missed the winner, but tipped the top 3, I think I got 3/4 position leaders (just missing the mids - this was always going to be whoever won overall) and also got the gimme club leader. I'm not sure about the first year player, none of them scored well, but I know Gulden did poll votes.

Parish as a smokey was a good choice - finishing equal with Steele who many tipped to win overall. Walsh would have been the better pick here if I had of factored in the amount of competition at each club, but I doubt many expected Parish to score 26 votes - which is enough to win in quite a few years previously.