Cash Finals Competition - Grand Final Players Posted.

Rowsus

Statistician
AFL Club
Melbourne
We have 12 participants, so the prizes are:
Highest score in any of weeks 1 to 4: $45
Highest total score over the finals: $90

Default Picks

Rowsus

Statistician
AFL Club
Melbourne

PM me your selections when you are ready. (My selections have been sent to Philzsay)
1 x Def, 2 x Mid, 1 x Ruck, 1 x Fwd, 1 x Wildcard from the remaining 15 players.
Any entries sent with 5 selections instead of 6 will be given the most expensive player still available to them, based on the raw SC prices.
You'd be surprised how many 5 player entries I got in the 4 week trial we had!

Lockout at the first bounce on Thursday night!

Last edited:

IDIG

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Essendon
Was writing up my economics paper at like 2 am so had a mental blank haha

Also quick question what's this unadjusted par thing?
Check out the old thread, which should have all the info you need on scoring etc. I found that it helps if you cross reference with the final results of the round.

AFL Club
Collingwood
Check out the old thread, which should have all the info you need on scoring etc. I found that it helps if you cross reference with the final results of the round.
Oh ok, so why is priced to score different to unadjusted par again?

Rowsus

Statistician
AFL Club
Melbourne
Here is a bit of a nutshell summary, for those that might not have followed the original thread closely.

Priced To Score - is simply the players current SC price divided by 5,000. This gives a representation of roughly where he was at form wise over the preceding 6 to 8 weeks, coming into the finals.
Unadjusted Par - the players Unadjusted Par score is just his Priced To Score + 15%. We set the par 15% higher than the Priced To Score for two reasons. One, par should be something slightly tricky to score. Two, you are (or should be!) picking players that you are reasonably confident will score well this week, so hopefully they should be beating their Priced To Score anyway.
Average Team Price - this is the number up in the yellow box at the top left hand corner of the players sheet. This week it is $2,785,560. This is calculated by adding up the 20 players prices, and multiplying that number by 0.3. The 0.3 is derived by the fact you pick 6 out of the 20 players, which is 30% of the players available, so the Average Team Price is 30% of the total of the 20 players current SC prices.
Par - Par for the week is the Average Team Price divided by 5,000, and then add 15%. This weeks Par is 2,785,560 / 5,000 x 1.15 = 640.68
Adjusted Price - everytime someone submits their 6 players, the following adjustments occur to all 20 players prices. The 6 players selected prices rise 3.5%. The 14 players not selected by that person prices fall by 1.5%. So 6 x 3.5% = 21% in total price rises, and 14 x 1.5% = 21% in total price drops. With 12 people playing the average number of times a player will be selected is 12 x 6 / 20 = 3.6. So if a player you select is selected by a total of 4, or more, people his price will rise, 3 or less people, his price will drop. So if you are the only person to select a particular player, his price will drop by (1 x 3.5%) - (11 x 1.5%) = 13%. If all 12 people pick a player, his price rises by 42%! This is irrelevant though, as everyone picked him. However, if 11 people pick a player, his price rises by (11 x 3.5%) - (1 x 1.5%) = 37%. The one person that didn't pick that player is now at a huge advantage, as the 11 people that did need that player to score 42.55% (37% x 1.15) higher than his Priced To Score, just to make his Par for the week! The Adjusted Price shown in the column is the total of your 6 players new Adjusted Prices.
Adjusted Par - the Adjusted Par for a player is his final Adjusted Price divided by 5,000, then add 15%.
Penalty - you pay a Penalty for picking a team that ends up over the Average Team Price, when all the Adjusted Prices have been taken into account. That Penalty is calculated by subtracting your teams Adjusted Price from the Average Team Price, then dividing that number 5,000 and then add 15%. If your team is priced less than the Average Team Price, there is no Penalty, but also no compensation either. The reason there is no compensation is to "force" you to choose some of the more expensively priced players.
Final Score - Your Final Score is your 6 players SC score +
Penalty (if there is one, the Penalty is always negative) - Par.

The basis of the game is to put some thought into it on 2 levels. Who do you think will outscore their Priced To Score this week? Who do you think everyone else will pick/not pick?
Picking a very cheap team is the worst strategy. This week you could pick a team that cost as little as $1,543,400. Obviously, there would be no Penalty if you picked that team, but you are $1,200,000 under the Average Team Price, and could have for example turned your Sheed pick into Dangerfield, and your Abbott pick into Grundy, and still received no Penalty. Poor picking, unless you believe Sheed and/or Abbott will outscore Dangerfield and Grundy!

Last edited:

IDIG

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Essendon
My picks are in. I won't say who but i'm tipping one guy will be in almost every team!

Rowsus

Statistician
AFL Club
Melbourne
My picks are in. I won't say who but i'm tipping one guy will be in almost every team!
I'll be interested to hear you think that player might be!

With 4 sets of tips in (Rowsus, doc ron, Presto, IDIG) there is one player sitting on 4 selections, and 2 players sitting on 3.
Of course, there is no way of knowing if those 3 players are cheap, expensive, or somewhere in between!

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Here is a bit of a nutshell summary, for those that might not have followed the original thread closely.

Priced To Score - is simply the players current SC price divided by 5,000. This gives a representation of roughly where he was at form wise over the preceding 6 to 8 weeks, coming into the finals.
Unadjusted Par - the players Unadjusted Par score is just his Priced To Score + 15%. We set the par 15% higher than the Priced To Score for two reasons. One, par should be something slightly tricky to score. Two, you are (or should be!) picking players that you are reasonably confident will score well this week, so hopefully they should be beating their Priced To Score anyway.
Average Team Price - this is the number up in the yellow box at the top left hand corner of the players sheet. This week it is $2,785,560. This is calculated by adding up the 20 players prices, and multiplying that number by 0.3. The 0.3 is derived by the fact you pick 6 out of the 20 players, which is 30% of the players available, so the Average Team Price is 30% of the total of the 20 players current SC prices.
Par - Par for the week is the Average Team Price divided by 5,000, and then add 15%. This weeks Par is 2,785,560 / 5,000 x 1.15 = 640.68
Adjusted Price - everytime someone submits their 6 players, the following adjustments occur to all 20 players prices. The 6 players selected prices rise 3.5%. The 14 players not selected by that person prices fall by 1.5%. So 6 x 3.5% = 21% in total price rises, and 14 x 1.5% = 21% in total price drops. With 12 people playing the average number of times a player will be selected is 12 x 6 / 20 = 3.6. So if a player you select is selected by a total of 4, or more, people his price will rise, 3 or less people, his price will drop. So if you are the only person to select a particular player, his price will drop by (1 x 3.5%) - (11 x 1.5%) = 13%. If all 12 people pick a player, his price rises by 42%! This is irrelevant though, as everyone picked him. However, if 11 people pick a player, his price rises by (11 x 3.5%) - (1 x 1.5%) = 37%. The one person that didn't pick that player is now at a huge advantage, as the 11 people that did need that player to score 42.55% (37% x 1.15) higher than his Priced To Score, just to make his Par for the week! The Adjusted Price shown in the column is the total of your 6 players new Adjusted Prices.
Adjusted Par - the Adjusted Par for a player is his final Adjusted Price divided by 5,000, then add 15%.
Penalty - you pay a Penalty for picking a team that ends up over the Average Team Price, when all the Adjusted Prices have been taken into account. That Penalty is calculated by subtracting your teams Adjusted Price from the Average Team Price, then dividing that number 5,000 and then add 15%. If your team is priced less than the Average Team Price, there is no Penalty, but also no compensation either. The reason there is no compensation is to "force" you to choose some of the more expensively priced players.
Final Score - Your Final Score is your 6 players SC score +
Penalty (if there is one, the Penalty is always negative) - Par.

The basis of the game is to put some thought into it on 2 levels. Who do you think will outscore their Priced To Score this week? Who do you think everyone else will pick/not pick?
Picking a very cheap team is the worst strategy. This week you could pick a team that cost as little as $1,543,400. Obviously, there would be no Penalty if you picked that team, but you are $1,200,000 under the Average Team Price, and could have for example turned your Sheed pick into Dangerfield, and your Abbott pick into Grundy, and still received no Penalty. Poor picking, unless you believe Sheed and/or Abbott will outscore Dangerfield and Grundy!
So Rowsus, hypothetically if 11 people picked Dangerfield and Grundy and 1 picked Sheed and Abbott what would their adjusted par scores be? There is about 189 difference in their unadjusted par scores, so just wondering what that difference would be after adjustments.

Rowsus

Statistician
AFL Club
Melbourne
So Rowsus, hypothetically if 11 people picked Dangerfield and Grundy and 1 picked Sheed and Abbott what would their adjusted par scores be? There is about 189 difference in their unadjusted par scores, so just wondering what that difference would be after adjustments.
Dangerfield - SC Price $646,800 - if 11 people pick him his price rises to $886,116, and his Par goes from 148.8 to 203.8
Grundy - SC Price $684,900 - if 11 people pick him his price rises to $938,313, and his Par goes from 157.5 to 215.8
Sheed - SC Price $343,200 - if 1 person picks him his price falls to $298,584, and his Par goes from 78.9 to 68.7
Abbott - SC Price $209,100 - if 1 person picks him his price falls to $181,917, and his Par goes from 48.1to 41.8

So combined, their Pars went from:
Dangerfield/Grundy 306.3 to 419.6
Sheed/Abbott 127.0 to 110.5
The difference grew from 179.3 to 309.1, or up by 129.8!

If you reverse it, and 1 take Danger/Grundy, and 11 take Sheed/Abbott, the difference falls to 92.5

So currently 179.3, will end up anywhere from 92.5 to 309.1!

AFL Club
Collingwood
nahnah has had a truck of uni work in the last week hahaha just woke up from a 3 hour nap after sleeping for less than 4 hours last night.

Will spend next 40 minutes researching :)

IDIG

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Essendon
nahnah has had a truck of uni work in the last week hahaha just woke up from a 3 hour nap after sleeping for less than 4 hours last night.

Will spend next 40 minutes researching :)
Great stuff mate. Please also let me know once your $25 entry fee payment has been made. Details below

Michael To
BSB 193879
Acc 486877611

AFL Club
Melbourne
Just sent mine to Rowan, was just waiting for teams to drop.

Didn't want my WC to be dropped ?

Bomber18

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Essendon
Good luck to all! I did consider entering officially (as I did enjoy the precursor) but I wanted to follow (or not follow) the finals series without focusing on any particular player (ie: take a break from fantasy footy).

Rowsus

Statistician
AFL Club
Melbourne
So we have 2 people on Default Tips: Bermie and Darkie.
We also have one person that only submitted 5 players (by submitting one player twice.)
As set out in post#2. that person will be given the most expensive player still available, at the SC prices.
It was blue dreamer, and he will get Grundy as his 6th player.

The selections and adjusted prices will be up shortly.