Code: 844518 - Last Minute EPL 2020/21 Tipping Comp

AFL Club
Hawthorn
**Thanks to some helpful feedback from @Beg2Differ, I've decided that trying to run a relatively complicated competition for a season that starts tomorrow night was rather optimistic.

With that, I've decided the most realistic way for this to work is for a standard tipping competition on Sportsdeck's website.

Tip a winner = 1 point
Tip a draw = 1 point
Tip a loser = 0 points.

Please click the following link:
https://sportsdeck.com/au/epl/tipping

Then register with Sportsdeck and join league 844518.

Will remain a $20 entry fee, prizes to be distributed depending on how many participants we get.

Please comment below once you have joined and I will PM you to sort out payment details. Thanks

Hi all,

With the EPL commencing Saturday night, and with too much time on my hands, I'm hoping for some last minute expressions of interest for an innovative tipping competition.

The rules are as follows:

- Each round, tip a team to either win, lose or draw.

Win = 1 point
Draw = 2 points
Loss - 0 points

- Each round, nominate one team that you have tipped to win as your 'sure winner'.

• You score points via the ‘sure winner’ by building up a streak and then doubling the total of that streak. I.e. if you tip the sure winner correctly for 5 weeks in a row, you score 5x2 (10) points. When you get it wrong on the 6th time, your streak reverts back to 0, but the 10 points you scored as a streak carries over to your total tally come the end of the season. You then start building a streak over again.

• If you continue your streak for the whole season, you will get 38x2 (76) points plus however many ‘ordinary’ tips you get. The purpose of multiplying by 2 is to reward those who achieve a long streak.

• You cannot tip the same team twice in a row for your ‘sure winner’…but you can go, for example, Man Utd/Arsenal/Man Utd/Arsenal (over a period of 4 rounds).

• If, in any given week, you nominate a sure winner that is ‘unique’ (no other person nominates that team for their sure winner in that week), and that team wins, you score an automatic 10 points.

Entry fee: $20

- Prizes for 1st, 2nd and 3rd.

Please post any questions you have about the rules. I have just come up with the rules tonight, so I'm also open to any suggestions anyone might have on how to spice things up a little bit, and I might add in a thing or 2 tomorrow if something comes to mind, without trying to make things too complicated.

At this stage, all you'd need to do is tip each game of the round as normal + nominate a sure winner, so nothing too complicated at the moment.

I'll wait and see how expressions of interests are going and once I'm confident it's up and running we can sort out the payment.

I'm aware it is last minute with the first game on Saturday but hope to get as many as possible for a bit of fun and interest when watching EPL games.

Cheers (y)

Last edited:
AFL Club
North Melb.
I’d be interested without committing at this stage.

A few queries.
  • Have you run or seen this run before?
  • Given the points available for the streak won’t it just be a comp to see who can tip the longest streak? I suspect the other tips will become redundant.
  • How would you collect tips?
  • Does EPL run in rounds with a break in between?

AFL Club
Hawthorn
I’d be interested without committing at this stage.

A few queries.
  • Have you run or seen this run before?
  • Given the points available for the streak won’t it just be a comp to see who can tip the longest streak? I suspect the other tips will become redundant.
  • How would you collect tips?
  • Does EPL run in rounds with a break in between?
1. I haven’t run a comp like this before. I am currently running one of the SuperCoach cash leagues, and there were no issues with collecting money or with anything.
I haven’t seen it run but was apart of a World Cup tipping comp of a similar nature, and have a general interest in these types of comps.

2. You could be right. I’m hoping that’s not the case, and will have a think about how to incorporate the streak while maintaining the importance of ordinary tips. Possibly more points can be awarded for a win and a draw, but I’ll need to think that through, thanks for the suggestion.

3. Good point. I will post the games for each round on here (the template), which will be filled out and PM’ed to me before the start of the first game for each round. Also, I’ll PM my tips to someone else to save any accusations of foul play.

4. Sorry I am not sure what you mean here?

AFL Club
North Melb.
1. I haven’t run a comp like this before. I am currently running one of the SuperCoach cash leagues, and there were no issues with collecting money or with anything.
I haven’t seen it run but was apart of a World Cup tipping comp of a similar nature, and have a general interest in these types of comps.

2. You could be right. I’m hoping that’s not the case, and will have a think about how to incorporate the streak while maintaining the importance of ordinary tips. Possibly more points can be awarded for a win and a draw, but I’ll need to think that through, thanks for the suggestion.

3. Good point. I will post the games for each round on here (the template), which will be filled out and PM’ed to me before the start of the first game for each round. Also, I’ll PM my tips to someone else to save any accusations of foul play.

4. Sorry I am not sure what you mean here?
You were in the WC comp I ran. Is that the one you are referring to?

Question 4 was about tipping deadlines and how often you have to submit tips. For example do EPL games get played every day or do all teams play a single game between say Friday and Monday each week and then there are no games for a few days before the next round.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
You were in the WC comp I ran. Is that the one you are referring to?

Question 4 was about tipping deadlines and how often you have to submit tips. For example do EPL games get played every day or do all teams play a single game between say Friday and Monday each week and then there are no games for a few days before the next round.
Well what are the chances...that is the one I’m referring to. :LOL:

Each round will be simultaneous with the fantasy EPL fixture. So a typical round starts on Saturday nights and ends on Monday or Tuesday, but there’s also some rounds that begin midweek on a Wednesday and end in a couple of days. I.e sometimes there’s busy periods and sometimes there’s an International break for a couple of weeks.

I’ll post constant updates and reminders of deadlines to ensure everyone remains up to date and can get their tips in on time.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
As per edited OP

Thanks to some helpful feedback from @Beg2Differ, I've decided that trying to run a relatively complicated competition for a season that starts tomorrow night was rather optimistic.

With that, I've decided the most realistic way for this to work is for a standard tipping competition on Sportsdeck's website.

Tip a winner = 1 point
Tip a draw = 1 point
Tip a loser = 0 points.

Please click the following link:
https://sportsdeck.com/au/epl/tipping

Then register with Sportsdeck and join league 844518.

Will remain a $20 entry fee, prizes to be distributed depending on how many participants we get.

Please comment below once you have joined and I will PM you to sort out payment details. Thanks