Discussion COVID-19 Lockdown: General Discussion (Poll added)

At post #118 Freowho/Bermi have a picture. Do you think

• Speccy 1 is better

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Speccy 2 is better

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Another 2 frames should be added to complete the action!

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • The guy on the bottom got kneed in the face!

Votes: 5 35.7%

• Total voters
AFL Club
Richmond
Cheers @Darkie

I'm happy that things might still happen, but delays on payments for up to 12 months put me in an awkward situation, mainly providing for my family.

Last time I dealt with Centrelink was 40 years ago, bit sad that I have to go back to them. **** was just as bad then. The worst thing though is that the Minister is lying about the capabilities of the MyGov website to handle the (foreseeable) increase in demand for services. He actually stated that the site crashed due to cyber attack, this was not the case it just couldn't cope with the increase in demand. It was set up to handle 5000 hits at the one time, was increased to 55000 hits but there's an absolute avalanche of people needing help immediately. The queues today at Centrelink offices were heartbreaking, so many people waited all day just to be told "come back tomorrow". If I was Minister then I wouldn't be looking for excuses, I'd be spending all of my time and resources (which are substantial) into rectifying this mess.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
An open letter to this great community we have here.

About 3 or 4 years before my marriage went tits up I was diagnosed with anxiety/depression. While the meds have helped the end of my marriage certainly sent me to some dark places that I never want to visit again. Luckily I had a handful of good people on my side and together with a bit of luck woke up one morning a totally changed man. I moved into a more suitable, positive environment and have not looked back. I lost my job about a month ago but luckily have savings to fall back on. I know many out there will be doing things tough, but please if anyone feels themselves going to those same dark places please please please reach out and talk to someone. I am no expert on the subject but if you just need to let a few things out then drop me a P.M and I will try and help however I can. Whatever happens we will get through this. I know that most of what I usually say is me trying to be humouress but this is one topic that I am 100% serious about.

Please take care of yourselves and lookout for those near and dear to you.

The Doc

Tamuhawk

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Here, then, is the chronological viewing order of the Marvel movies:
  • Captain America: The First Avenger (takes place during WWII)
  • Captain Marvel (takes place in 1995)
  • Iron Man (takes place in 2010)
  • Iron Man 2 (takes place after Iron Man)
  • The Incredible Hulk (time unspecified, pre-Avengers)
  • Thor (time unspecified, pre-Avengers)
  • The Avengers (takes place in 2012)
  • Iron Man 3 (takes place six months after The Avengers)
  • Thor: Dark World (post-Avengers, pre-Ultron)
  • Captain America: Winter Soldier (post-Avengers, pre-Ultron)
  • Guardians of the Galaxy (sometime in 2014)
  • Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (after Guardians)
  • Avengers: Age of Ultron (takes place in 2015)
  • Ant-Man (takes place in 2015)
  • Captain America: Civil War (post-Ultron, pre-Infinity War)
  • Spider-Man: Homecoming (post-Civil War, pre-Infinity War)
  • Doctor Strange (takes place in 2016)
  • Black Panther (takes place in 2017)
  • Thor: Ragnarok (post-Ultron, pre-Infinity War)
  • Avengers: Infinity War (takes place in 2017)
  • Ant-Man and The Wasp (ambiguous, but fits nicely between IW and Endgame)
  • Avengers: Endgame (starts in 2017, finishes in 2022)
  • Spider-Man: Far From Home (post-Endgame)
For endgame wasn't it started in 2018 and finished in 2023? Which meant infinity war was 2018 too.

The one movie that really messed up with the timeline was spiderman: homecoming when they went to the cutscene and it read "8 years later"

Rowsus

Statistician
AFL Club
Melbourne
Here in Denmark we had schools closed 10 days ago, and shops closed around 5 days ago. When the schools were closed, it was announced it was for 2 weeks, but everyone knew it would be longer. It has just been announced it has been extended until after Easter, until April 13th.
My wife and I have been living in "isolation" for 10 days, bored out of our brains, and this has added another 22 days to that.
I'm not complaining. As a country, Denmark has it better than a lot of other countries, and my wife and I have it better than most, as we are employed by the local council, so our wages are still paid, while we are off work.
My guess is it will still go beyond the new deadline of April 13th. That gets us 6 to 7 weeks from our school summer holidays here, so I'm guessing we won't be back at work until August, when school returns for the new school year!

AFL Club
Collingwood
For endgame wasn't it started in 2018 and finished in 2023? Which meant infinity war was 2018 too.

The one movie that really messed up with the timeline was spiderman: homecoming when they went to the cutscene and it read "8 years later"
No idea haha I ripped it off a website, just thought it might help! I have only watched probably 3 of those movies from start to finish.

Rowsus

Statistician
AFL Club
Melbourne
I guess it is easy to play Couch Coach in this tough situation, but it's hard not to.
I keep seeing country after country playing catch up in their C19 policies. Things like one day no gatherings over 1,000 people, then 2 days later no gatherings over 100 people.
To me this is totally the wrong approach, and I still think Australia is sitting on the "too little, too late" scale. Every country doing this has mirrored the numbers of Italy and Spain, just like the US is now doing, and Australia is close to doing.
What I believe needs to be done, is "get ahead of the curve" type thinking. Countries like Australia need to imagine a worst case scenario for 2 weeks from now, and 4 weeks from now. If that worst case scenario hit, what new restrictions and measures would they bring in? When you have that answer, that is what you should be doing NOW!!!
Everyone (countries) needs to stop governing by reaction, and start governing by forward planning. At the end of the day, nobody is going to say "our country went too far, with it's C-19 measures". Right now, lot's of countries will look back and say "why didn't we do more early on?".
Things like closing schools (and pubs, restaurants etc) should have been done 10 days ago! The only answer I get when I ask why it wasn't done is, who will look after the kids of the doctors, nurses and essential people? Guess what? When things get bad, you come up with a plan, and implement it. My question is, why wait until things are that bad, before coming up with and starting that plan? Looking after essential peoples kids is important. Slowing the spread of the disease is equally important. Why put pretty much the whole of the population at risk, because you couldn't see/imagine a simple solution to protect 2-3% of the population? Creating minding centres in now empty schools was a simple and easy measure, and should have been seen as something already being done by countries in Europe, that had been hit earlier by the virus than Australia.
I just think it's political head in the sand type stuff, to be slow to implement these sort of measures. It's like they look at Italy and Spain and say "Yeah, but we got this covered. We'll do better". No, you won't! Unless you get ahead of the curve!
Everything Australia has done has been reactionary. Some people are whinging and complaining that it is going too far. In the months ahead, they will be the same people complaining not enough was done early on.
The amount of people treating this like a "holiday" is scary. What they don't realise is, they are the biggest part of the problem!!! This problem is going to have far reaching economic repercussions for years to come. The slower they are to realise the full implications, the worse things will be! Going too far, too hard, too early is just not possible, while people still think this is "holiday time". It's still happening here in Denmark, that people are gathering in parks and beaches etc. The amount of people thinking it's not that bad, it's a media beat up, is frightening. It's because it's not in their face ....... yet! No one directly in their life has been affected, so it's not that bad, and it won't affect me. And hey, I'm young and healthy, I'll be ok if I get it. This is the most dangerous attitude out there, as they pig ignorantly don't realise that attitude not only puts themselves in danger, but EVERYONE around them.
This is the main thing governments aren't getting ahead of the curve on, right now. But there are other measures that should also be implemented, that most people will think are too harsh, and an over reaction. Other measures, to get ahead of the curve. Remember, most countries will look back and say "why didn't we do more, and react earlier?". Hardly any, if any at all, will say "Boy, we got that wrong, and totally over-reacted!".

Connoisseur

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
An option to keep you occupied over the coming weeks/months.

Up to 304 episodes featuring the likes of:
Bob Einstein, Mario Cantone, Billy West, Weird Al Yankovic, Penn Jillette, Rupert Holmes, Adam West, Barbara Feldon, Chevy Chase, **** Cavett, Henry Winkler, Susie Essman, Roger Corman, Lewis Black, Julie Newmar, Steve Buscemi, George Takei, Michael Nesmith, Richard Kind, **** Van Dyke, Carl Reiner, Artie Lange, Kliph Nesteroff, Drew Friedman, Kenny Loggins, Paul Williams, Alan Alda, Paul Reiser and Tony Orlando (to name a few).

Comedian, actor and voice artist Gilbert Gottfried — a man Stephen King once called “a national treasure” — takes an affectionate look back at 100+ years of Hollywood history with some of the show business legends and behind-the-scenes talents who shaped his childhood and influenced his comedy. Along with co-host and fellow pop culture fanatic Frank Santopadre, Gilbert is joined by actors, directors, writers, comics, musicians, talk show hosts and other eyewitnesses to Hollywood history, for a fond, funny, fly-on-the-wall look at showbiz then and now (but mostly then.)

AFL Club
St Kilda
I guess it is easy to play Couch Coach in this tough situation, but it's hard not to.
I keep seeing country after country playing catch up in their C19 policies. Things like one day no gatherings over 1,000 people, then 2 days later no gatherings over 100 people.
To me this is totally the wrong approach, and I still think Australia is sitting on the "too little, too late" scale. Every country doing this has mirrored the numbers of Italy and Spain, just like the US is now doing, and Australia is close to doing.
What I believe needs to be done, is "get ahead of the curve" type thinking. Countries like Australia need to imagine a worst case scenario for 2 weeks from now, and 4 weeks from now. If that worst case scenario hit, what new restrictions and measures would they bring in? When you have that answer, that is what you should be doing NOW!!!
Everyone (countries) needs to stop governing by reaction, and start governing by forward planning. At the end of the day, nobody is going to say "our country went too far, with it's C-19 measures". Right now, lot's of countries will look back and say "why didn't we do more early on?".
Things like closing schools (and pubs, restaurants etc) should have been done 10 days ago! The only answer I get when I ask why it wasn't done is, who will look after the kids of the doctors, nurses and essential people? Guess what? When things get bad, you come up with a plan, and implement it. My question is, why wait until things are that bad, before coming up with and starting that plan? Looking after essential peoples kids is important. Slowing the spread of the disease is equally important. Why put pretty much the whole of the population at risk, because you couldn't see/imagine a simple solution to protect 2-3% of the population? Creating minding centres in now empty schools was a simple and easy measure, and should have been seen as something already being done by countries in Europe, that had been hit earlier by the virus than Australia.
I just think it's political head in the sand type stuff, to be slow to implement these sort of measures. It's like they look at Italy and Spain and say "Yeah, but we got this covered. We'll do better". No, you won't! Unless you get ahead of the curve!
Everything Australia has done has been reactionary. Some people are whinging and complaining that it is going too far. In the months ahead, they will be the same people complaining not enough was done early on.
The amount of people treating this like a "holiday" is scary. What they don't realise is, they are the biggest part of the problem!!! This problem is going to have far reaching economic repercussions for years to come. The slower they are to realise the full implications, the worse things will be! Going too far, too hard, too early is just not possible, while people still think this is "holiday time". It's still happening here in Denmark, that people are gathering in parks and beaches etc. The amount of people thinking it's not that bad, it's a media beat up, is frightening. It's because it's not in their face ....... yet! No one directly in their life has been affected, so it's not that bad, and it won't affect me. And hey, I'm young and healthy, I'll be ok if I get it. This is the most dangerous attitude out there, as they pig ignorantly don't realise that attitude not only puts themselves in danger, but EVERYONE around them.
This is the main thing governments aren't getting ahead of the curve on, right now. But there are other measures that should also be implemented, that most people will think are too harsh, and an over reaction. Other measures, to get ahead of the curve. Remember, most countries will look back and say "why didn't we do more, and react earlier?". Hardly any, if any at all, will say "Boy, we got that wrong, and totally over-reacted!".
Rowsus you’ve given plenty of good advice here but none better than that. Could not agree more, word for word.

Connoisseur

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Recommended TV Shows:
1. Cheers- DVD/Bold (Free to air)
2.Curb Your Enthusiasm- HBO
3. Arrested Development - Netflix
4. Frasier - Stan
5. The Simpsons - Disney

No particular order:
The Kominsky Method- Netflix
The Good Place - Netflix
Buffy the Vampire Slayer- Stan
The X Files- SBS On Demand
Seinfeld- Stan
After Life- Netflix
That 70’s Show- Netflix
Fresh Prince of Bel Air- Netflix
Stranger Things- Netflix
Impractical Jokers- Netflix
Mystery Sciene Theater 3000- Netflix
8 out of 10 Cats Does Countdown- SBS On Demand
Derek- Netflix
Boardwalk Empire - HBO
Married With Children- DVD
King of Queens- DVD/ Bold (Free to Air)
The Sopranos- HBO

Recommended TV Shows:
1. Cheers- DVD/Bold (Free to air)
2.Curb Your Enthusiasm- HBO
3. Arrested Development - Netflix
4. Frasier - Stan
5. The Simpsons - Disney

No particular order:
The Kominsky Method- Netflix
The Good Place - Netflix
Buffy the Vampire Slayer- Stan
The X Files- SBS On Demand
Seinfeld- Stan
After Life- Netflix
That 70’s Show- Netflix
Fresh Prince of Bel Air- Netflix
Stranger Things- Netflix
Impractical Jokers- Netflix
Mystery Sciene Theater 3000- Netflix
8 out of 10 Cats Does Countdown- SBS On Demand
Derek- Netflix
Boardwalk Empire - HBO
Married With Children- DVD
King of Queens- DVD/ Bold (Free to Air)
The Sopranos- HBO
Ozark season 3 - Netflix

Rumoured to be out Friday 🙂

Connoisseur

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
An option to keep you occupied over the coming weeks/months.

Up to 304 episodes featuring the likes of:
Bob Einstein, Mario Cantone, Billy West, Weird Al Yankovic, Penn Jillette, Rupert Holmes, Adam West, Barbara Feldon, Chevy Chase, **** Cavett, Henry Winkler, Susie Essman, Roger Corman, Lewis Black, Julie Newmar, Steve Buscemi, George Takei, Michael Nesmith, Richard Kind, **** Van Dyke, Carl Reiner, Artie Lange, Kliph Nesteroff, Drew Friedman, Kenny Loggins, Paul Williams, Alan Alda, Paul Reiser and Tony Orlando (to name a few).

Comedian, actor and voice artist Gilbert Gottfried — a man Stephen King once called “a national treasure” — takes an affectionate look back at 100+ years of Hollywood history with some of the show business legends and behind-the-scenes talents who shaped his childhood and influenced his comedy. Along with co-host and fellow pop culture fanatic Frank Santopadre, Gilbert is joined by actors, directors, writers, comics, musicians, talk show hosts and other eyewitnesses to Hollywood history, for a fond, funny, fly-on-the-wall look at showbiz then and now (but mostly then.)
Another podcast I highly recommend-

Something Rhymes with Purple:
Susie Dent and Gyles Brandreth invite you to enhance your vocabulary, uncover the hidden origins of language and share their love of words.

Connoisseur

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Ozark season 3 - Netflix

Rumoured to be out Friday 🙂
First 2 episodes of series 3 have hit here already.
I'm not watching it until I can binge it though.
It's a really great series!
Thanks for the recommendation. Enjoyed Jason Bateman‘s performance in Arrested Development and will likely start Ozark (Season 1) this weekend.