Discussion COVID-19 Lockdown: General Discussion

At post #118 Freowho/Bermi have a picture. Do you think

• Speccy 1 is better

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Speccy 2 is better

Votes: 9 42.9%
  • Another 2 frames should be added to complete the action!

Votes: 7 33.3%
  • The guy on the bottom got kneed in the face!

Votes: 7 33.3%

• Total voters
AFL Club
Collingwood
All Australian new arrivals now to be quarantined in hotels , because of fears self isolation is not working.

No **** Sherlock , should have been getting people in controlled isolation weeks ago , get the police and military involved if people don't treat it seriously.

Find it weird that the people we flew out of China then went to Christmas Island for 14 days ENFORCED isolation but since then we just trust (and hope) people to do the right thing.

AFL Club
Richmond
All Australian new arrivals now to be quarantined in hotels , because of fears self isolation is not working.

No **** Sherlock , should have been getting people in controlled isolation weeks ago , get the police and military involved if people don't treat it seriously.

Find it weird that the people we flew out of China then went to Christmas Island for 14 days ENFORCED isolation but since then we just trust (and hope) people to do the right thing.
I'm fully on this one with you @Herbie66

I think (know) that the authorities have stuffed this up big time and there's been no real mention of it. They have got the terminology wrong and have been sending mixed messages to the masses.

Every person that has come into this country has been told they should 'self isolate' for 14 days. That is wrong!! Every person that has come into this country should consider themselves to be quarantined for 14 days. That's two way different scenarios, self isolation means you can go out and get stuff. Quarantined means you cannot go out and have to rely on stuff being brought to you. The perfect example of this is the people that have been released (disembarked) from cruise ships and then be allowed to roam the country to get to their 'self isolation' destinations.

Same in Tassie, "If you come from interstate then you must self isolate for 14 days" No you don't!! You should be in quarantine for 14 days!!

7,500 people arrived in Australia today on international flights. They also have been told to self isolate!! WRONG!!! They should be put in quarantine for 14 days!!!! No contact with anyone for that time and quarantine stations/accommodation needs to be set up.

If it's good enough for your dog to be put into quarantine then it's good enough for all international arrivals to be put in the same position.

AFL Club
Collingwood

Yeah, why not eliminate the virus curve instead of just trying to flatten the curve.

AFL Club
Fremantle
Local elections still going ahead in Queensland and you can get fined if you don't vote. Can't do it online which is ridiculous. Even if someone hacked the election and we get the wrong result how could they do a worse job anyway?

AFL Club
Richmond

Another example of getting the terminology wrong.

IT IS NOT SELF ISOLATION!!! IT IS QUARANTINE!!!

Some returning travellers may have to self-isolate for 28 days

We have just double-checked this point with the Western Australian government.

Under the new mandatory self-isolation rules decided by the national cabinet today, returning travellers to Australia have to undergo 14-day self-isolation in a hotel in the city where their international flight lands.

If they live in one of the five states and territories in Australia that has introduced state-based border controls, and requires a 14-day self-isolation period for domestic travellers, they will have to self isolate again for another 14-days upon arrival in their home state.

So, if a Tasmanian resident returns from overseas, they will have to self isolate for 14 days in the city where their international flight lands — probably Sydney or Melbourne — and then for another 14 days upon return to Tasmania. That’s 28 days of not being allowed out.

At least, that is how the WA government understands the new rule.

Previously, the rules on this were more flexible. Mandatory self-isolation was largely conducted at home, and people were allowed to return to their home to begin their isolation. But all that slack has been gathered up.

This is what Scott Morrison said on this point earlier today

If their home is in South Australia or in Perth or in Tasmania and they have arrived in Melbourne, they will be quarantining in Melbourne. If it’s in Sydney, it will be in Sydney, if it’s Brisbane, and so on.

AFL Club
Collingwood
Yeah, why not eliminate the virus curve instead of just trying to flatten the curve.
It's got me beat , if as they say the majority of the cases have been from people bringing it into the country , then do everything you possibly can to eliminate it at the border.

Plenty of empty planes around to fly people to Christmas Island etc to make 100% sure of eliminating/eradicating the risk.

Last edited:
AFL Club
Fremantle
You are all right and spot on.

Look at the USA, and particularly NY right now. 100 died in NY alone the past 24 hours.

ScoMo - You are doing too little, too late!
The messaging is very mixed. The Botanic Gardens in Melbourne are closed but you can still run around the tan. People running around the tan would infect more people than a couple walking through the gardens. They even had a news item the other night urging people to try and break the tan record during this crisis.

Rowsus

Statistician
AFL Club
Melbourne
I shake my head, at the little bespectacled men, behind their little tidy desks.
The things you hear happening in different places.

There is a small brewery in NY state that is just keeping it's head above water. They are closing down during the crisis, but offered the state to turn it's alcohol supply in into hand sanitizer. No charge. The problem was, the company is struggling, and they have to pay a state tax on every quantity of alcohol they use and distribute. The owner sort an exemption, as he would make the hand sanitizer, and give it to hospitals for free. The answer came back, No, you still have to pay your taxes on that alcohol. Result - factory closed, and thousands of litres of "free" hand sanitizer goes begging.

A smaller, but similar thing happened here in Denmark.

Yeah, let's announce a $2,000,000,000 (those zeros are correct!) relief package, but let's not accept free help when it is offered!

Connoisseur

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I get a bit of enjoyment from recording "The Chase" episodes on my Personal Video Recorder. Then I watch it later with my finger on the 'pause button' and press it as soon as a questioned has been asked. That gives me time to answer the question before the answer is given.
Not to mention that I am able to skip the commercials :)
Can you let me know when you find the button that removes Andrew O’Keefe.

Connoisseur

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Couldn't agree more. Bradley Walsh is really good. I'll always tune in to the British one if I'm home and avoid the Aussie one like the plague.
Australia has the honour of tarnishing/killing most game show franchises.

Same sentiment here. Have you seen Pointless (UK version) before?

Last edited: