Discussion COVID-19 Lockdown: General Discussion

At post #118 Freowho/Bermi have a picture. Do you think

• Speccy 1 is better

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Speccy 2 is better

Votes: 9 42.9%
  • Another 2 frames should be added to complete the action!

Votes: 7 33.3%
  • The guy on the bottom got kneed in the face!

Votes: 7 33.3%

• Total voters
AFL Club
Bulldogs
I watched the video and yeah, I thought gee, she makes a lot of sense! Why don't the leaders in the world follow her common sense. So I checked further and found the following:

https://leadstories.com/hoax-alert/...video-includes-claims-that-are-not-facts.html
Fact Check: Dr. Kelly Victory's 'COVID Facts' Video Includes Many Claims That Are NOT Facts
Does a video by Dr. Kelly Victory that promises to discuss "COVID facts" deliver all factual claims?
No, that's not true: Lead Stories identified at least 10 "facts" that are false, including claims that children are at "virtually no risk" from the novel coronavirus, that social distancing is "not an established public health concept," and that there is "no scientific justification" for wearing face masks to protect against the spread of COVID-19, and that masks are a health risk. Peer-reviewed scientific articles, guidance from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and responses from other medical experts dispute Victory's claims.
I watched the video and yeah, I thought gee, she makes a lot of sense! Why don't the leaders in the world follow her common sense.

Because it IS common sense! ?

AFL Club
Collingwood
Haha...very funny. Applying reason and logic is all you need to do. You can as well.
Not sure if you are just trolling or are actually being serious Studz. Hard to believe you are being serious.

I (amongst others here I'm sure) would love to hear the 'reason and logic' behind 600,000+ dead and pretty much every country's economy going in to a recession?

AFL Club
West Coast
Loving this discussion, its always good to have different views and opinions out there... can't say I can deny the 'science' but do worry that @Studz is right regarding the issue with the vaccine solution and mutation, there are already a few different strains of COVID-19 out there already - would a vaccine cover all of these?

Obviously we don't want hospitals overrun while the virus does its thing but at current rates of infection its going to be years before any type of normalcy can return to society, assuming a virus ending vaccine isn't found... by then we might have lost our minds!

1595225380635.png

AFL Club
Brisbane
Some experts are more optimistic than others but pretty much all agree that if we do have a vaccine it is 6-18 months away at best. Vaccines usually take 5-15 years to develop and there is no guarantee one will be successful. We may have to adapt and live with this and hope it dissipates. Present day colds were believed to be derived from more virulent corona like viruses thousands of years ago. At present there aren't actually confirmed multiple strains so it isn't mutating like the flu.

Lockdown measures saw a dramatic decrease in flu cases. Flu vaccines reduce your likelihood of catching the various flu strains, although only about 40% of people get the vaccine. Only 5-10% of populations in the most severely impacted countries have caught COVID and you need at least 60% for herd immunity. Letting the virus rip to infect that number of people would be a detrimental cost to life, health systems and the economy.

AFL Club
Bulldogs
Not sure if you are just trolling or are actually being serious Studz. Hard to believe you are being serious.

I (amongst others here I'm sure) would love to hear the 'reason and logic' behind 600,000+ dead and pretty much every country's economy going in to a recession?
I do not troll. Nothing is more honest than reason & logic.

As this is a site more for Aussie rules discussion rather than Political discussion....I am reluctant to get too deep but....

You said “every country’s economy going in to a recession“

Why do you think that is exactly? Perhaps start there and don’t rely on the one source for your answer.

And if you live in Melbourne...how long are prepared to live this way...One year? Two?....

Like @Spots says we all may have lost our minds by then or not have a $ to our name

Last edited:
AFL Club
Sydney
I watched the video and yeah, I thought gee, she makes a lot of sense! Why don't the leaders in the world follow her common sense.

Because it IS common sense! ?
Unfortunately, there's been more than a few 'pioneers' who have made a lot of sense in the past because their ability as orators made their hideous ideas seem brilliant.

Rowsus

Statistician
AFL Club
Melbourne
I do not troll. Nothing is more honest than reason & logic.
Only if that reason and logic is credible, from a reliable source, and can be confirmed without an even more credible source contradicting it.
It appears that, rather than being open minded, you are suffering a little from confirmation bias.
Sometimes it is better to research the people giving you information, rather than the information itself.

AFL Club
Bulldogs
Unfortunately, there's been more than a few 'pioneers' who have made a lot of sense in the past because their ability as orators made their hideous ideas seem brilliant.
The Doc is hardly a pioneer or alone...but your right, Obama immediately comes to mind.

Rowsus

Statistician
AFL Club
Melbourne
Yeah, you're sounding like a typical too smart for his own good, 1st or 2nd year Uni student.
You are cherry picking peoples comments on here, but ignoring the guts of what they say.

Bermi said "I thought it made a lot of sense", and you jumped on that, but totally ignored his MAIN point, that he did some research on one of your heroes, and found her "facts" are largely discredited.

Nick T tells you he has a science degree, and you do nothing but mock him.

You say you are not trolling, but you come across as nothing but a troll, with your comments like "Is it law to wear a condom when you get laid? Apparantly STD's are on the rise".

Instead of mocking people like Nick T, who at least has put his credentials out there, why don't you be up front, and tell us what your credentials are?

Especially when you say things like

There is a cure...you just need to ween yourself off the spoon feeding & learn to think critically and for yourself.

High doses of Vitamin C, D and Zinc will work too?
It only takes one person to believe rubbish like that, and the chain reaction it causes could literally kill dozens of people. It is as bad as anti-vaxxers and essential oils.

I say to you, time to put up, or close the discussion!

Tell us your credentials, that should make us believe the things you say aren't just regurgitated, dangerous, social media bullsh1t.

Give us a credible source, and preferably more than one, that doesn't have a history of being discredited that "high doses of vitamin C, D and Zinc will work too".

If you can't do either of those things, I suggest you drop this subject immediately, as I believe the things you are saying to be a danger, to anyone silly enough to believe you!

AFL Club
Richmond
As this is a site more for Aussie rules discussion rather than Political discussion....I am reluctant to get too deep but....
Studz it is very appreciated you came here to enlight us, and I agree you shouldn't go too far as the power of the truth might be too much for us simple mortal here.

But as you seem to have access some kind of mystical truth - and as you rightly note, it is a an Aussie rule discussion :
coud you please tell me who the "one source" has planned to put on top of the SC scorers next year ?
and also, why ?
Because I am obviously very very far from the truth in this domain

o_O

AFL Club
Geelong
So to all the people who believe everything an ''expert'' who speaks on television or who writes articles for a paper/online says (backing government rhetoric the entire way). Do you not think, just as people can go to far believing every crazy rumour or conspiracy theory they come across, that it is indeed possible to go to far the other way also? Has leadership never lied to it's people before? Do NO conspiracies actually exist? Is corruption a big hoax? Is propaganda just a word with no application?
I believe what I stated back in March is holding up very well and although many people who don't toe the line with popular thinking will be called ''crack pots'', the evidence and reaction just isn't adding up to the dramatic action taken by countries like Australia in my opinion. The morality rate isn't that high. It's mostly killing older people, some countries have done very little to combat it and just seem to be letting it take it's coarse. Whatever IT is, the theory that it's masking world wide economic problems rather than been what's causing them seems a very sane one, at least to me anyway.

I am a man who usually backs science all the way, but science and the scientists, just like the rest of us, can be bought and manipulated.
As a general statement. While a lot of people are whispering rumours and pondering theories about Corona that will vastly proven to be wrong in time, that doesn't detract from the simple fact that when a large percentage of a population smell something fishy, there may indeed be dead fish nearby!

Who would have thought that the entire recycling culture was created and pushed by the Oil/Plastics industries as a means to produce as much as they liked while offering people a way to acquire false piece of mind! lol, we all gobbled that lie up, even environmental giants like Greenpeace are putting their hands up saying ''Yeah, we bought into that one too, sorry guys".

We Humans are tricky beasts. Just my 2cents.
Hope you all are traveling well, and best of luck to everyone :).

Last edited:
AFL Club
West Coast
So to all the people who believe everything an ''expert'' who speaks on television or who writes articles for a paper/online says (backing government rhetoric the entire way). Do you not think, just as people can go to far believing every crazy rumour or conspiracy theory they come across, that it is indeed possible to go to far the other way also? Has leadership never lied to it's people before? Do NO conspiracies actually exist? Is corruption a big hoax? Is propaganda just a word with no application?
I believe what I stated back in March is holding up very well and although many people who don't toe the line with popular thinking will be called ''crack pots'', the evidence and reaction just isn't adding up to the dramatic action taken by countries like Australia in my opinion. The morality rate isn't that high. It's mostly killing older people, some countries have done very little to combat it and just seem to be letting it take it's coarse. Whatever IT is, the theory that it's masking world wide economic problems rather than been what's causing them seems a very sane one, at least to me anyway.

I am a man who usually backs science all the way, but science and the scientists, just like the rest of us, can be bought and manipulated.
As a general statement. While a lot of people are whispering rumours and pondering theories about Corona that will vastly proven to be wrong in time, that doesn't detract from the simple fact that when a large percentage of a population smell something fishy, there may indeed be dead fish nearby!

Who would have thought that the entire recycling culture was created and pushed by the Oil/Plastics industries as a means to produce as much as they liked while offering people a way to acquire false piece of mind! lol, we all gobbled that lie up, even environmental giants like Greenpeace are putting their hands up saying ''Yeah, we bought into that one too, sorry guys".

We Humans are tricky beasts. Just my 2cents.
Hope you all are traveling well, and best of luck to everyone :).
There is no doubt there is balance between reducing the impact on COVID and not economically destroying the economy and social fabrics we all live with.

However, the death rate was never the key issue with COVID. It has always been that unlike other viruses, people end up in hospitals (all ages) and overwhelm the hospitals, taking services away from everything else. Yes, it will be mainly old people that die, however, I wouldn't underestimate the longer term impact of getting COVID either.

Sweden is the only country where the government has taken no action. However, their people do follow rules and social distance more than the average Aussie will (and much more than the average American). How has that gone for them.

1) Recent mortality is low, although, their curve fits others as they have learn from how to treat this between drugs and lay on stomach etc.
2) Their death rate per capita is the 5th highest in Europe
3) They haven't achieved herd immunity
4) Their economy is one of the worst hit.

Unfortunately in Aust the State Govts are in charge of health and the Federal govt foots the economic bill. Expect we see a vaccine by early next year, immunity will not be forever though, strong contact tracing will be the norm, better treatment and a balance between normal society starts to progress towards something we know.

Unfortunately your views can be as dangerous as those who are totally fearful of COVID and think the Victorian lockdown is the way to go (70% of Vics approve of Dan Andrew which is just as scary).

There is a balance out there in views, the problem can be people feel they have to be extreme to get people to change their view.