Discussion Covid19 Discussion: Policies, Impact, Comparisons

lappinitup

2006 AFL SuperCoach Winner
AFL Club
Carlton
The mother (50s) of 2 of these removalists just died of covid in their house.
Died "of" or "with"?

I know the fear mongering angle has to be "of", but clearly that is pure speculation at this point.

In any other circumstance, making up a cause of death would be disrespectful. Shows how far we have come, that now it is accepted and I risk negative feedback for clarifying.

AFL Club
Brisbane
Died "of" or "with"?

I know the fear mongering angle has to be "of", but clearly that is pure speculation at this point.

In any other circumstance, making up a cause of death would be disrespectful. Shows how far we have come, that now it is accepted and I risk negative feedback for clarifying.
That’s the report across multiple news channels that she’s the 5th death in this NSW outbreak. Yes further details could change the specifics. Globally the scientific consensus is that covid deaths are underestimated. In regard to Australia we are very thorough and have reclassified deaths both ways.

lappinitup

2006 AFL SuperCoach Winner
AFL Club
Carlton
That’s the report across multiple news channels that she’s the 5th death in this NSW outbreak. Yes further details could change the specifics. Globally the scientific consensus is that covid deaths are underestimated. In regard to Australia we are very thorough and have reclassified deaths both ways.
I do agree, we are far better than US, UK and UN on reporting deaths.

We don't count deaths if there is a clear unlinked cause of death (Trauma), otherwise it is counted if they have tested positive and not proven to have recovered.

Just amazed at how quick everyone is to report as fact the cause of death!

I don't think you can report something as fact, and have a throw away line, further details could change the fact I reported. In other words, my fact isn't fact, but I am going with it.

AFL Club
Brisbane
I would take it like the previous 914 deaths and the recent 4 deaths in that these announcements are declared by medical experts. Deaths not thought to be covid have also consequently been declared due to covid. It’s rare there’s been a reclassification either way.

*Agree, media could easily go early and have it wrong but over the pandemic wrong death announcements have been rare here.

Last edited:
AFL Club
Melbourne
When is Berejiklian going to realise she needs to go harder to stop this outbreak in NSW.

As painfull as 'lock-downs' are, at the current rate of new cases and more worrying the number of new daily cases that have been in active the community every day, this is not going to go away. If the view is still the same now as previously and we are still going for elimination as indicated by recent lock-downs in Victoria and SA even when case numbers were low compared to NSW.

She keeps banging on about the vacine roll-out and the problems with it (which she has a point), but I'm not convinced she went hard enough and early enough, so I reckon this will go on for months if stronger action is not taken.

AFL Club
Sydney
When is Berejiklian going to realise she needs to go harder to stop this outbreak in NSW.

As painfull as 'lock-downs' are, at the current rate of new cases and more worrying the number of new daily cases that have been in active the community every day, this is not going to go away. If the view is still the same now as previously and we are still going for elimination as indicated by recent lock-downs in Victoria and SA even when case numbers were low compared to NSW.

She keeps banging on about the vacine roll-out and the problems with it (which she has a point), but I'm not convinced she went hard enough and early enough, so I reckon this will go on for months if stronger action is not taken.
We’re 100% going for another two months. 53 cases in community today the telling number, which means a huge amount of close contacts that will just keep rolling.

Unfortunately there’s a lot of people not following lockdown orders and the government is not discouraging this type of behaviour. Huge fines should be implemented and hit these people hard and frequently. It’s time to stop babying the public and start making them have consequences for their continued disregard to the restrictions because they clearly don’t understand the repercussions of their actions.

AFL Club
Sydney

What does "go harder" mean? Close all business and make everyone stay at home until we're all vaccinated? Government meal deliveries 3 times per day? Snipers on rooftops? Yellow triangles?

I fully understand the sentiment of statement "I'm not convinced she went hard enough and early enough" but I'm genuinely intrigued as to what harder now would mean? All businesses that can have to work from home, mobility index is the lowest in the world, only single members of households allowed into any shop etc. The area I live in I see the vast majority of people wearing masks both in and outdoors. Perhaps reducing the travel radius? I get that, but it also hurts those who don't live in areas with parks, open spaces etc.

BancoSaints

Rising Star Nominee
AFL Club
St Kilda
What does "go harder" mean? Close all business and make everyone stay at home until we're all vaccinated? Government meal deliveries 3 times per day? Snipers on rooftops? Yellow triangles?

I fully understand the sentiment of statement "I'm not convinced she went hard enough and early enough" but I'm genuinely intrigued as to what harder now would mean? All businesses that can have to work from home, mobility index is the lowest in the world, only single members of households allowed into any shop etc. The area I live in I see the vast majority of people wearing masks both in and outdoors. Perhaps reducing the travel radius? I get that, but it also hurts those who don't live in areas with parks, open spaces etc.
You're right and I'd hate to see what 'going harder' in this sense looks like - but it may just be taking a more strict approach when enforcing the rules. I still often see large groups of people catching up under the guise of exercise, often without a mask.

While the lockdown rules may be strict enough, many in NSW are simply not following them and I'm afraid a growing resentment of both the lockdown and the authorities trying to manage this outbreak will only lead to increased nonconformity.

AFL Club
Melbourne

Sorry mate I'm just very, very frustrated, I live in the north of Victoria about 20 south of the border with NSW, we have not had a Covid case (touch-wood) for a good 12 months anywhere near us, but we keep getting tared with the same brush as Metropolatian areas were the outbreaks seem to happen for one reason or another.

In that time, we have had multiple hardlock-downs (no travel, WFH, schools closed, no movement more than 5km from home for 2hrs exercise per day, compulsory masks indoors and outdoors) State wide, no exceptions at the first sign of trouble, I'm over it, basically because some people are not able to or willing to do the right thing and pull their heads in.

Rowsus

Statistician
AFL Club
Melbourne
To governments state and federal:
Get much better at getting people vaccinated more quickly.
You've had 16 months to introduce laws and fines for those that breach protocol, yet there is still not enough..
Stop trying to erradicate the disease, and come up with a "living with Covid" approach. Erradication is impossible!!!

AFL Club
Brisbane
People don’t want AZ and the Fed Gov skimped on Pfizer a year ago so not enough doses yet. Will take a few months. We’re not letting it rip on 11% fully vaxxed.

AFL Club
Melbourne
You're right and I'd hate to see what 'going harder' in this sense looks like - but it may just be taking a more strict approach when enforcing the rules. I still often see large groups of people catching up under the guise of exercise, often without a mask.

While the lockdown rules may be strict enough, many in NSW are simply not following them and I'm afraid a growing resentment of both the lockdown and the authorities trying to manage this outbreak will only lead to increased nonconformity.
You obviously don't live in Victoria ;)

AFL Club
Sydney
We’re 100% going for another two months. 53 cases in community today the telling number, which means a huge amount of close contacts that will just keep rolling.

Unfortunately there’s a lot of people not following lockdown orders and the government is not discouraging this type of behaviour. Huge fines should be implemented and hit these people hard and frequently. It’s time to stop babying the public and start making them have consequences for their continued disregard to the restrictions because they clearly don’t understand the repercussions of their actions.
Sorry mate I'm just very, very frustrated, I live in the north of Victoria about 20 south of the border with NSW, we have not had a Covid case (touch-wood) for a good 12 months anywhere near us, but we keep getting tared with the same brush as Metropolatian areas were the outbreaks seem to happen for one reason or another.

In that time, we have had multiple hardlock-downs (no travel, WFH, schools closed, no movement more than 5km from home for 2hrs exercise per day, compulsory masks indoors and outdoors) State wide, no exceptions at the first sign of trouble, I'm over it, basically because some people are not able to or willing to do the right thing and pull their heads in.
Yea I get that pain. I’m basically stuck in the country and have to seen my folks in 2 years. I’ve had 1 grandparent die and the timeframe on seeing my in-laws (who live in Africa) is completely unclear (silver linings…!).

AFL Club
Sydney
People don’t want AZ and the Fed Gov skimped on Pfizer a year ago so not enough doses yet. Will take a few months. We’re not letting it rip on 11% fully vaxxed.
This is what we cannot forget. We cannot ever let the LNP be forgiven for what they’ve done to us. A rich economy, ahead of the game when it came to impact, let it all go to **** because they couldn’t organise a piss up in a brewery.